ADVERTISEMENT

Future Football Schedule Alert!

DW made a point that scheduling Boise & BYU, "represent big-time strength-of-schedule games".

Scheduling historically low SOS P5's over historically high SOS G5's, just because their P5's, is damaging to UCF's own SOS.

DW is on the right track scheduling programs with the highest SOS he can get for home and home games. If that means only top tier G5's that's fine with me.

Reactions: mattropolis
Wrong.......2023 schedule is not complete but does in fact include BYU who is considered a P5 school.......
I think DW mentioned on the radio that scheduling is completed through 2023.... I am guessing future announcements to come.

Reactions: JAFFX2
DW made a point that scheduling Boise & BYU, "represent big-time strength-of-schedule games".

Scheduling historically low SOS P5's over historically high SOS G5's, just because their P5's, is damaging to UCF's own SOS.

DW is on the right track scheduling programs with the highest SOS he can get for home and home games. If that means only top tier G5's that's fine with me.

BYU does count as a Power 5 opponent for Power 5 conference schools playing the Cougars.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27691709/ucf-beefs-schedule-boise-state-byu
I don't really understand what that statement means. Not like P5 teams have a quota to meet.

Technically they're not either P5 or G5 because they're not in a conference, and I mean just look at their schedule. They play 4 teams considered P5 and 8 teams considered G5 so it's pretty easy to figure out which side of this they fall on.

I don't really understand what that statement means. Not like P5 teams have a quota to meet.

Technically they're not either P5 or G5 because they're not in a conference, and I mean just look at their schedule. They play 4 teams considered P5 and 8 teams considered G5 so it's pretty easy to figure out which side of this they fall on.
Big Ten allows independents, AAC teams to fill Power 5 requirement
https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/b...dependents-aac-teams-fill-power-5-requirement

Reactions: knight_tracker

This is not correct.

Wrong Morty......you can take it up with ESPN........

"Independent BYU does count as a Power 5 opponent for Power 5 conference schools playing the Cougars."

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27691709/ucf-beefs-schedule-boise-state-byu

Some conferences have a requirement to play a P5 team out of conference and BYU meets that requirement. Hope that clears things up.

Reactions: knight_tracker
Wrong Morty......you can take it up with ESPN........

"Independent BYU does count as a Power 5 opponent for Power 5 conference schools playing the Cougars."

The guy above you posted an article that says the Big Ten allows AAC teams to be considered Power 5. So it's completely arbitrary.

I guess I'll phrase it like this, BYU is not viewed as P5 by the folks that are voting in the polls every week. And that's the whole importance of scheduling in college football, perception.

That being said, it's a better get than probably 1/3 of teams that are actually P5 teams.

but there is a clear reason why we were able to schedule BYU and not a team in an actual P5 conference, that's what I'm getting at, and it will be interesting to see if that continues.

Last edited:
As long as you wear magic underwear and praise the Jeffers family they will let you have trace amounts of sodie pop
Caffeine is a no no as well. If you walk around with a Starbucks cup you may as well walk around with a vodka bottle. It’s against their religion, not against the law there.

It’s play any P5 you can at this point. As long as it’s a 1and 1

We can’t get any at this time
We can't get any home and home with a blue blood P5. It sucks. However, given the current landscape I think we're going to have to be flexible and take some 2 for 1s. Personally, if DW's goal is seven home games a year, I'd rather have two FCS per year but also play a "brand name" school (even if two thirds of the time it's on the road) than play only one FCS and 11 G5.

I mean I understand its hard times for Danny White and the Autonomous 5.

I just don't think BYU and Boise State are statement games. The Non-A5 to the playoff narrative isn't talked about unless we knock off A5 opponents. We are helping the A5 draw the line between playoff access further if we just give up and only schedule more Non-A5 games.
This. You are correct. Our scheduling needs to be aspirational. Sort of like "dress for the job you want, not the one you have". We've accepted second tier status. We were making progress in changing the narrative....why did we just give up?

Reactions: CFKnight
We can't get any home and home with a blue blood P5. It sucks. However, given the current landscape I think we're going to have to be flexible and take some 2 for 1s. Personally, if DW's goal is seven home games a year, I'd rather have two FCS per year but also play a "brand name" school (even if two thirds of the time it's on the road) than play only one FCS and 11 G5.
You are exactly right. If we do a 2 for 1 or a 1 and done, then we will have to play 2 FCS schools to get a 7 game home schedule

2 problems with that

1) Danny White would basically have to backtrack. Eat crow

2) Even the bluebloods or top programs are NOT coming to Spectrum. Maybe camping world

So., I think that we can get a 1 and done, but those are tough games to win and really not fair

Something like Michigan in 2016

I believe that we CAN get that game with almost anyone. Of course it would be a financial hit if we can’t sell a schedule with 0-1 P5 teams and 2 FCS games

Danny White is presently working on P5 games

Just FYI. Oklahoma has openings. We could probably do a 1 and done there if we wanted
to

I bet UCONN is getting phone calls from all the Big10 teams for future scheduling. Did they add UConn on the list, because they are going Independent? If that's the case maybe UCF should go Independent. :sunglasses:

shutterstock-30285850-390x285.jpg

I really don't think being in the playoff is DW's goal. To me the playoff chatter is just a distraction.; a way to keep us in the limelight; Being the top G5 is the main goal so when the game of musical chairs starts again for realignment we are a bran, we have a following; we have facilities, we have season ticket holders. We want to be next in line. If we take 2-1s we hurt our chances. the current scheduling system works for us. If we get the opportunity for a one off or neutral site game against a real blue blood DW will take it. But he is not going to sell out
Good point, Thanks for the insight

Just realized the 2027 UNC game was rescheduled from 2024. Now we only have one "P5" game scheduled for 2024. Only reason to clear that future date is to get somebody else in that year. Must already know who it is. Looking forward to another announcement some time soon.

Reactions: Ucfmikes

Only one Power 5 opponent in 2021
giphy.gif

So, effectively DW raised ticket prices so we can pay trash UConn $1M for a 1-off home game. I’d rather:

1. Play a 1-off road game against a traditional power
  2. Play a road game against a P5
  3. Play anyone else at home (UConn has no pop/draw at all)
  4. Play a second FCS like FL does and pay less (UConn is no better)

This is really terrible. Either signals there are no scheduling options or DW is losing it. Why would we pay UConn so much when they have to be desperate to fill games. I think DW got out-negotiated or was on a high horse of paying what is “deserved” for 1-offs.

Boise St being the marquee home game in 2021 is going to turn some people off and shows that DW is hitting a ceiling.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
Or is this a sign that we are taking a 2-1 and UCONN is the offset game?
You may have something here.

Mathematically speaking, this may be a move that frees up a 2 for 1 with a great opponent

Additionally, Alabama is looking for a one and done. Teams like Michigan paid UCF 1.5 million in 2016 and Ohio State probably paid us a decent amount as well in 2012.

So.., this might actually be a win financially for UCF. Basically, using UConn as our stepping stone.

Reactions: mattropolis
Boise St being the marquee home game in 2021 is going to turn some people off and shows that DW is hitting a ceiling.
I would wait a bit on this

Mathematics.

Lot of home games, without a return game means

1) A 7th home game. Who the hell wants that if the opponent sucks

2) A 2 for 1 with a traditional power or a 1 and done with like an Alabama, Michigan, etc

Last edited:
The UConn game is replacing the annual FAU/FIU game without a return game. So UCF will have 7 home games 3 consecutive years. In case anyone was interested.

Reactions: Stormthecourt?
The UConn game is replacing the annual FAU/FIU game without a return game. So UCF will have 7 home games 3 consecutive years. In case anyone was interested.
If that is true, and I assume it is since you work for UCF, that’s total BS!

That’s not what the fans want. Boooooooo!!!

So.., ticket prices ARE going up to pay for a bunch of crap teams?? Fans rather have at least one marquis road game vs that BS

No wonder they want to lock in season ticket sales before January. If we lose more games fans will not be renewing

Last edited:
I’d be okay with 6 home games if it means an upgrade to the schedule. We don’t need Alabama on the schedule. Just a good opponent that is a better game for the fans. I think the FCS game needs to be a thing of the past. It’s a waste of time and not worth an injury during a meaningless game. Just my opinion.

Amazing all the whining going on about UCONN. Like the whiners could REALLY do a better job of scheduling than DW?!?!? [roll][roll][roll][roll][roll]

1. UCF is doing what big time programs do, paying a G5 team to come to UCF for a one-and-done. This should come as no surprise to anyone. DW publicly said in one of his interviews in the last year that he was trying to improve UCF's financials to the point we could schedule G5 buy games just like this.

2. Concerning complaints about no P5 home game on the 2021 schedule. If there were a P5 program willing to come to UCF that season, they would be on the schedule. DW has ZERO control over that.

Reactions: Stetson_1883
2. Concerning complaints about no P5 home game on the 2021 schedule. If there were a P5 program willing to come to UCF that season, they would be on the schedule. DW has ZERO control over that.
Can’t we still get a P5 team for 2021?

Amazing all the whining going on about UCONN. Like the whiners could REALLY do a better job of scheduling than DW?!?!? [roll][roll][roll][roll][roll]

1. UCF is doing what big time programs do, paying a G5 team to come to UCF for a one-and-done. This should come as no surprise to anyone. DW publicly said in one of his interviews in the last year that he was trying to improve UCF's financials to the point we could schedule G5 buy games just like this.

Well. ****ing. Said.

I'll dish out another $750k to play a FBS team rather than $350k to FAMU.

It beats 2 FBSs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT