ADVERTISEMENT

Gabriel is BAD

I am quite impressed with DG's play at UCF, and I am thrilled to have him. His deep throws are amazing. He has things to develop, and I am confident he has the potential and ability to do so. (Now, does he have the right coaching?)

However, I think Kedon Slovis is every bit as good as DG.
Really? Dillon has a MUCH better TD to INT ratio and 50% more passing yards so far in the same number of games.

I think DG has a great future. I like that we're playing him now but I could see the logic in putting Mack in for a series or two in some of these games.

I also had a comment on three of his passes from today:
The first pick was only slightly shorter than a punt would have been in that situation given that the punter wasn't having a great game.
The second pick looked like he was just trying to throw it out of bounds which was a smart play but sadly didn't get it far enough.
The intentional grounding flag was weak sauce. No pressure and just seemed like a broken play and the yards made the last attempt that much harder.

I'm honestly shocked that some of you haven't already died from asphyxiation because you forgot how to breathe. Dillon is the best true freshman QB in FBS this year, and it isn't even close.

I'm shocked people are casting blame on DG, when we had penalties every other minute.

THIS is one of the main reasons we lost....not bc of a talented freshman qb.

There wasn't as much talent on that team. Plus the alternative was a senior QB that played worse than KZ.
There was plenty of talent and he did much worse than DG. The point is that Frost threw KZ to the wolves so he could learn. That is what coaches do. DG has set UCF freshman records for a QB. How many of you booed KZ at the Cure Bowl?

Reactions: BlakNGoldAllDay
The problem with the comparison is that Milton’s freshman year we were coming off a horrible 2015 with nothing to lose. This year we had another QB that can come in and compliment Gabriel when he is struggling and plenty of offensive weapons that are being wasted. Having struggles as a freshman is normal and expected. I have no issues with Gabriel. I think he is going to be a phenomenal QB at UCF next season and beyond. However, I believe 80% of the blame goes onto the coaching staff for our struggles for not making adjustments, not using Mack, lack of discipline through penalties and making a terrible blunder at the end of the game at Tulsa. Our defense gave us the opportunity to win the game and the coaches took that opportunity aware from our players.

The problem with the comparison is that Milton’s freshman year we were coming off a horrible 2015 with nothing to lose. This year we had another QB that can come in and compliment Gabriel when he is struggling and plenty of offensive weapons that are being wasted. Having struggles as a freshman is normal and expected. I have no issues with Gabriel. I think he is going to be a phenomenal QB at UCF next season and beyond. However, I believe 80% of the blame goes onto the coaching staff for our struggles for not making adjustments, not using Mack, lack of discipline through penalties and making a terrible blunder at the end of the game at Tulsa. Our defense gave us the opportunity to win the game and the coaches took that opportunity aware from our players.
Great post

How do you figure our defense put us in position to win? Gave up 34 points to Tulsa. That’s bad. No pressure whatsoever on the QB. Too many 8 yard runs on them. Players fighting each other etc.

Reactions: ReturnOf and ahabmw
The final play they got the stop we needed. It was a chance to get the win that the coaching blunder took away.

The only play DG made that was 100% on him was when he fell for a sack and still had about 2 seconds before he was touched. Other than that I am chalk the rest up to growing pains. Our future is bright with DG.

Reactions: Knight Strength
Just in.....

In the updated NCAA stats for Passing Efficiency Gabriel is ranked #10. He’s officially a bust now.

We need a new coach and QB or we’re going to turn into the next New Mexico State.

Reactions: ahabmw and ReturnOf
Just in.....

In the updated NCAA stats for Passing Efficiency Gabriel is ranked #10. He’s officially a bust now.

We need a new coach and QB or we’re going to turn into the next New Mexico State.
Just in

Dillon Gabriel has 4 touchdowns and 7 interceptions in UCFs 3 losses

Just in

In UCFs 3 losses Dillon Gabriel has

25 rushes for -69 yards!

I hear you. Gotta wonder why the stats are that bad for any QB even a freshman. The stats dont say it. Poor coaching explains it.
The stats only show one thing

in our loses, DG hasn’t been effective running the ball and hasn’t had a good TD to INT ratio

it says no more and no less

The stats only show one thing

in our loses, DG hasn’t been effective running the ball and hasn’t had a good TD to INT ratio

it says no more and no less
It shows he's a freshman Quarterback with piss poor play calling and a lack of development in that area (the run)? I think so.

Reactions: ahabmw
Just in

Don’t sugarcoat stats

Keep it real folks

No $%>T we lost games where our TRUE FRESHMAN QB had turnovers. While some of those are on DG, most can be contributed to poor O-line play/penalties which caused him to force plays.

Jesus most of you have started acting like a bunch of stuck up fools. We just had 2 undefeated seasons and now we will most likely have a 9 win (down) season. You know how many teams would kill for a 9 win season? If DG has one less pick in any of our losses we are undefeated right now. Do we have no faith that next year he can make that leap?

Some of you need to get your heads out of your A$$.

Sorry if that came out harsh

I heard from someone who knows his mother Wednesday that he’s coming back. Who really knows what that means
I live very close to them and seem to run into KZ every week or 2. Just based off his current walking ability and rate of progress I have witnessed....I would be shocked.

I am not a DR and maybe progress will be expedited now that he is mobile but it just doesnt look likely.

Reactions: Ucfmikes
Just in

In UCFs 3 losses Dillon Gabriel has

25 rushes for -69 yards!
Just in case you didn't know, in college sacks count as rushes, so this hardly an indictment of Gabriel as it is our offensive line. Tulsa had 7 sacks coming into the game but some how we give up 6? Just embarrassing.

Just in case you didn't know, in college sacks count as rushes, so this hardly an indictment of Gabriel as it is our offensive line. Tulsa had 7 sacks coming into the game but some how we give up 6? Just embarrassing.
I did know that. The point is STATS don’t tell the whole story. He has -10 yards rushing this season including sacks. They haven’t all been Tulsa-like games

No $%>T we lost games where our TRUE FRESHMAN QB had turnovers. While some of those are on DG, most can be contributed to poor O-line play/penalties which caused him to force plays.

Jesus most of you have started acting like a bunch of stuck up fools. We just had 2 undefeated seasons and now we will most likely have a 9 win (down) season. You know how many teams would kill for a 9 win season? If DG has one less pick in any of our losses we are undefeated right now. Do we have no faith that next year he can make that leap?

Some of you need to get your heads out of your A$$.

Sorry if that came out harsh
What I’m saying is we need to just stop with the top 10 QB rating BS. That’s the MAIN POINT. You can’t have it BOTH WAYS

At least a few of those picks were on him. Yes, he is a true freshman. Yes, he can make the leap

This does not make DG bad. He has absolutely excelled with the weapons. Set records. Yes he made mistakes. KZ also had weapons, maybe not as many but missed tons of open receivers. Do you not remember him overthrowing so many passes? He sucked in the Cure Bowl. But Frost kept him in until the very end.

Freshman comparison over the same number of games.

KZ
Year Team Cmp Att Pct Yards TDs Int
2016 UCF 194 366 57.7 1983 10 7

DG
Year CMP ATT CMP YDS AVG TD INT
2019 175 289 60.6 2,806 9.7 24 7

Weapons do not account for the difference. DG is a special talent. If he can improve as much as KZ did after Freshman year the kids is going to kill it.

I am not trying to be down on the kid or say that we lost because of him because we didn’t. OL and penalties are the reason we lost. With that said, so far into his career what I see is a front runner. He is great when things are going his way but falls apart when facing adversity. He does not inspire confidence. All the good once have it and thus far DG does not.
DJ is not the passer DG is but he found ways to win. Even vs LSU I still thought DJ would find a way to pull out the W. I don’t see that from DG, he is not a playmaker, he can not put the team on his back and go out and win a game. KZ did that and that’s why were had great years.

I did know that. The point is STATS don’t tell the whole story. He has -10 yards rushing this season including sacks. They haven’t all been Tulsa-like games
We have given up 22 sacks for -133 yards for the season.

I am not trying to be down on the kid or say that we lost because of him because we didn’t. OL and penalties are the reason we lost. With that said, so far into his career what I see is a front runner. He is great when things are going his way but falls apart when facing adversity. He does not inspire confidence. All the good once have it and thus far DG does not.
DJ is not the passer DG is but he found ways to win. Even vs LSU I still thought DJ would find a way to pull out the W. I don’t see that from DG, he is not a playmaker, he can not put the team on his back and go out and win a game. KZ did that and that’s why were had great years.

In case anyone forgot this was his stat line:

Darriel Mack Jr. 11/30 97 3.2 1 1 13.8

Mack was great in the Memphis game but he only had 69 yards passing against ECU. His sample size is very small to insist he is a winner and DG isn't. I am personally very impressed with DG and I wouldn't mind doing some change of pace plays with Mack to let DG refocus but I don't see enough to think DG needs to sit.

Reactions: Colonel Mortimer
How do you figure our defense put us in position to win? Gave up 34 points to Tulsa. That’s bad. No pressure whatsoever on the QB. Too many 8 yard runs on them. Players fighting each other etc.

This is on coaching as well. JH is hell bent on going fast. We aren't fooling many teams by going fast, so there is little advantage, especially when your freshman QB isn't ready to go fast yet. Slow it down, give your defense a chance to rest, coach your young QB on the sidelines. Sometimes it's better to be slower and efficient than fast and run a lot of plays in hope of tiring out the other team.

In case anyone forgot this was his stat line:

Darriel Mack Jr. 11/30 97 3.2 1 1 13.8

Mack was great in the Memphis game but he only had 69 yards passing against ECU. His sample size is very small to insist he is a winner and DG isn't. I am personally very impressed with DG and I wouldn't mind doing some change of pace plays with Mack to let DG refocus but I don't see enough to think DG needs to sit.

So Mack can't improve?

So Mack can't improve?
Sure he can, but we have seen more than enough from both guys to know that there is a talent level difference between Gabriel and Mack, and it's a very large margin, and this is mostly Gabriel playing as a true freshman, and Mack playing as a red-shirt freshman. If you are insinuating that Mack has made some kind of incredible leap in the past year, while he was out breaking his ankle in the offseason, then well you have some kind of insight that goes beyond what fans and coaches have seen.

Reactions: Tiemanster
Sure he can, but we have seen more than enough from both guys to know that there is a talent level difference between Gabriel and Mack, and it's a very large margin, and this is mostly Gabriel playing as a true freshman, and Mack playing as a red-shirt freshman. If you are insinuating that Mack has made some kind of incredible leap in the past year, while he was out breaking his ankle in the offseason, then well you have some kind of insight that goes beyond what fans and coaches have seen.

I was going to respond but you covered it.

I find it interesting in 2017 Milton average completion was 10.2 yards, dropped to 9.2 in 2018. Gabriel is 9.7. The deep pass is much more prevalent in Heupel's playbook, yet the average yards per completion was better under Frost.

We have given up 22 sacks for -133 yards for the season.
Ok. I read it was 23. However, some of those were his lack of pocket presence, holding onto the ball too long, and inability to scramble. Most were on the offensive line and plays that take too long to develop

He’s a freshman, so he gets a pass on a lot of the former reasons

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT