ADVERTISEMENT

Gameday Bowl Thread!

Why the fcuk did I travel to see this pitiful performance??

Getting run over is so demoralizing than getting beat by a balanced attack. Gus and DC still CAN'T make an adjustment. Stack the line, go 5-2, you stubborn fcuk!! DO SOMETHING!!

We make pedestrian RB's and QB's who run into All-stars and Doak Campbell award winners. GT passed for less than 100 yards, you knew the run is coming, no surprise here AND still you cannot stop,,,

Gus NEVER had a losing season before tonight.

It is time to can GUS and bring in the right guy to right the ship.

Gary Patterson

images
FIFY

Yes and also offensive lineman.
Look at Gus’s last 4-5 classes at Auburn and how little he focused on recruiting up front. Dude thinks he can razzle dazzle his way to success. His first few years at Auburn, he lived off the recruits that Chizik had left (chiz was a shit HC, but he could recruit). Gus recruits like a kid playing Xbox or PlayStation, just trying to sign the best players he can, regardless of position.

He’s not a bad dude, but he really just doesn’t get what it takes to maintain a successful program, and he’s arrogant/stuck in his ways. Any assistant coach change you make is virtually a waste. Gus is paranoid, controlling, and he only trusts people he knows. So the only coaches he is willing to bring in are coaches he knows and from that field, coaches who are still willing to work with him, which unfortunately are usually coaches who have exhausted all other options in the market. See Herb Hand and David Gibbs.

Why won’t any sportswriter ask Gus the hard questions? Are they all chickensh!t? This coach needs to be totally grilled as to why he continues to lose games that he had control of? Where are the adjustments? How does Addison qualify to be a P5 D Coordinator in one of the 3 biggest conferences? The $ is there now to hire much more qualified people. Is Hinshaw really calling the offense, all game, or does Gus take over when he gets worried? PLEASE SOMEONE START ASKING HIM REAL QUESTIONS AND MAKE HIM GIVE US SOME REAL ANSWERS!!!
They won't. Because SEC or something.

Like I said earlier this season, seeing Gus Malzahn in that UCF vizor makes me cringe. Everything that Auburn fans warned us about when we hired him was 100% accurate.

They said we'd get big wins every now and then but he sucks ass. Yeah Florida was big but only for recruiting cause they sucked in 21. Oklahoma State is his only big win in 3 seasons and it took a torrential downpour for him to get that.

The frustrating thing is that, in many games this season, the initial gameplan was actually good! Up after 1Q against K State. Up big of course against Baylor. Up after 3Q against Oklahoma. Down 3 against WVU after 3Q. The big issue is that Gus and the D coordinator fail to make adjustments after the other team make adjustments. A lot of these games now are like a chess match, and he loses the chess match more often than not

The frustrating thing is that, in many games this season, the initial gameplan was actually good! Up after 1Q against K State. Up big of course against Baylor. Up after 3Q against Oklahoma. Down 3 against WVU after 3Q. The big issue is that Gus and the D coordinator fail to make adjustments after the other team make adjustments. A lot of these games now are like a chess match, and he loses the chess match more often than not
Let's not forget there are players out there playing. They didn't do a good enough job either. Teams need to find an "it" factor. We haven't seen that yet under Gus, especially on defense. Little flashes here and there but no consistency in seeing "it".

Turnover margin for the 2023 season is -2 (ranked #79; +16 gain vs -18 lost). In 2017 our turnover margin was +17 (+32 gain vs -15 lost). In 2018 we were +14 (+28 gain vs -14 lost). In 2019 we were +6 (+21 gain vs -15 lost). In 2020 we were +12 (+22 gain vs -10 lost). In 2021 we were +5 (+20 gain vs -15 lost). In 2022 we were -4 (+17 gain vs -21 lost). We've got to get better in this stat. This stat drives a lot of your results. We just don't seem to have any ball hawks for the last several seasons (going back to Heup). It's the little details. We're 6-7 this season and you flip 10 plays from "negative" to "positive" and we could just have easily been 8-4/9-3 going into a bowl game. The margin for success is slim, and you always need some things to go your way, but so far under Gus I don't see players excelling at "details".

This said, all it takes is a QB to have "it" and things could look much different very quickly. Who knows when we will have that again. It does seem like we get in a lot of QB talent but most of it moved on (and I think most or all of these guys will be starters next season): DG, Mikey, Parker, and Tommy Guns. The only one of these I think has "it" is Sock Boy....he finally panned-out this season in big games. They went 10-2. The two losses were by 5 and 3, losing both games on the road in conference play. In those two loses Sock Boy was 14/19 for 171 with 1 INT but he also had 3 rushing TDs. Against Ok State he was 26/37 for 344 with 1 TD and 1 INT...not like he totally sucked it up in those two losses.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guinness_Knight
The big issue is that Gus and the D coordinator fail to make adjustments after the other team make adjustments. A lot of these games now are like a chess match, and he loses the chess match more often than not
A lot of people who don't know football will say "The other team 'made adjustments'" on defense. It is a myth. Anyone who has coached and knows football knows major adjustments cannot be made in a football game.

For example, a team that bases out of a 3-3-5 defense cannot change into a bear front in the middle of an offensive possession UNLESS the team has not practiced the formation.

You can make minor in-game adjustments, such as with play calling, manipulating alignment, reading keys, etc., but major in-game adjustments can only be used ONLY IF they have been practiced or are already built into your system.

For example, if you practiced and ran a front or blitz against an earlier opponent, you can jump into it within an offensive drive because the players have already practiced it and remember it. Or you can practice for a defense to be used before halftime and practice for a totally different defense to change to in the second half, but you cannot change to a new defense at halftime that you never practiced.

In those two loses Sock Boy was 14/19 for 171 with 1 INT but he also had 3 rushing TDs. Against Ok State he was 26/37 for 344 with 1 TD and 1 INT...not like he totally sucked it up in those two losses.

In 2020 and 2021 losses, Gabriel stats were 14tds, 3ints, 2 rushing tds. It was always amusing when Gabriel took the blame for games where in one he passed for 3 rushed for 1 and caught 1 or another game where he threw for 5 Tds.

Since Gus was hired, I am been thinking back over my reactions to him. To begin with I didn't want him at all. I thought he was old and over the hill. Why hire a coach who, as the underdogs, you just beat in a bowl game. Then I listened to him speak a couple of times and I thought well he seems to know what he's talking about. Then he further charmed me with all of the talk about how much he wanted to be here at UCF and how we were going to build the program the right way, etc., etc., etc. I was even impressed with some of his recruitment. But now after watching him coach in game after game and seeing his stubborness to change or adapt, his poor game calling, his sometimes lack of game management, his lack of player development, his hiring of questionable coaching talent, his pat answers to questions after a loss, I'm not riding the gus bus any more. He has turned out to be everything Auburn fans told us, and warned us, he would be. I'm guess I'm over it. Now I just feel empty and not looking forward to next season.

Last edited:
This 👆. He just finished year 3. If you’re going to create your “system” or “turn around a program” you’ve had 3 full seasons to do so. It still feels like he’s trying to figure it out as a new coach. How long of a runway is he supposed to have to lift off?

This 👆. He just finished year 3. If you’re going to create your “system” or “turn around a program” you’ve had 3 full seasons to do so. It still feels like he’s trying to figure it out as a new coach. How long of a runway is he supposed to have to lift off?
But hey, at least he has......BOOM!!! 🤦🏾‍♂️🤦🏾‍♂️🤦🏾‍♂️

A lot of people who don't know football will say "The other team 'made adjustments'" on defense. It is a myth. Anyone who has coached and knows football knows major adjustments cannot be made in a football game.

For example, a team that bases out of a 3-3-5 defense cannot change into a bear front in the middle of an offensive possession UNLESS the team has not practiced the formation.

You can make minor in-game adjustments, such as with play calling, manipulating alignment, reading keys, etc., but major in-game adjustments can only be used ONLY IF they have been practiced or are already built into your system.

For example, if you practiced and ran a front or blitz against an earlier opponent, you can jump into it within an offensive drive because the players have already practiced it and remember it. Or you can practice for a defense to be used before halftime and practice for a totally different defense to change to in the second half, but you cannot change to a new defense at halftime that you never practiced.
This may be your most arrogant and stupid post of all time. Everybody knows you’re here for one purpose and you’re really not here for UCF.

In respect to your alleged knowledge in your posts you are like the guy who learns a little bit of a language and spouts off some words without knowing the real language and thinks they know the language. Your rationale for ALL of your posts are based on protecting GM and have actually no factual value.
Move on.

Last edited:
This may be your most arrogant and stupid post of all time. Everybody knows you’re here for one purpose and you’re really not here for UCF.

In respect to your alleged knowledge in your posts you are like the guy who learns a little bit of a language and spouts off some words without knowing the real language and thinks they know the language. Your rationale for ALL of your posts are based on protecting GM and have actually no factual value.
Move on.
put him on ignore. i have two people on ignore: auburn legacy and lobotomy cane.

• Love
Reactions: Yaes and connerito

Move on.
I want you to think about and really reflect on what you just said before I respond.

Why can't everyone just block Lobo & Auburn and quit trying to reason with them, or how about just ignore them and maybe they will go away if nobody responds or likes.

Why can't everyone just block Lobo & Auburn and quit trying to reason with them, or how about just ignore them and maybe they will go away if nobody responds or likes.
I’ll give it a shot.
Merry Christmas!!!

Last edited:
  • Dislike
Reactions: PositYourself

Move on.
First, I will clarify what I said on the outside chance you misunderstood. I am not saying a coach can't go into halftime and adjust to a certain formation, such as trips to the boundary, a bunch set, or quads, or personnel groupings, such as 22 personal, he hadn't prepared for. That's not what I am talking sbout.

I am saying a coach cannot go into halftime and completely change the defense from one scheme (top to bottom) to another scheme and having never practiced or introduced it to his players expect them to execute it in the second half.

I have coached for 10+ years and I have only been on a staff that tried that once. I was at a school that ran a 5-2 against every offensive formation and would adjust as necessary to any offensive formation it faced. One night, we were facing a Tony Franklin spread team and a defensive assistant who was new to the program suggested we switch to a 4-4 at halftime.

We wasted the entire halftime period trying to teach alignment, read keys, gap responsibilities, and coverages. We can out of time before we could install any blitzes.

It lasted for two plays. The opponent's first play went for 40 yards. The second play the back banged his head on the goal post. We went back to adjusting out of our 5-2 and ended up losing a close game.

You cannot "tell" someone how to play football at halftime.

As for the shot about Gus, Gus should have nutted up and told Hinshaw to run the d*mn football. sabahr never had a problem telling Lane Kiffin or Bill O'Brien when to run.

Last edited:
First, I will clarify what I said on the outside chance you misunderstood. I am not saying a coach can't go into halftime and adjust to a certain formation, such as trips to the boundary, a bunch set, or quads, or personnel groupings, such as 22 personal, he hadn't prepared for. That's not what I am talking sbout.

I am saying a coach cannot go into halftime and completely change the defense from one scheme (top to bottom) to another scheme and having never practiced or introduced it to his players expect them to execute it in the second half.

I have coached for 10+ years and I have only been on a staff that tried that once. I was at a school that ran a 5-2 against every offensive formation and would adjust as necessary to any offensive formation it faced. One night, we were facing a Tiny Franklin spread team and a defensive assistant who was new to the program suggested we switch to a 4-4 at halftime.

We wasted the entire halftime period trying to teach alignment, read keys, gap responsibilities, and coveraged. We can out of time before we could install any blitzes.

It lasted for two plays. The opponent's first play went for 40 yards. The second play the back banged his head on the goal post. We went back to adjusting out of our 5-2 and ended up losing a close game.

You cannot "tell" someone how to play football halftime.

As for the shot about Gus, Gus should have nutted up and told Hinshaw to run the d*mn football. sabahr never had a problem telling Lane Kiffin or Bill O'Brien when to run.
It’s true. You obviously had to practice the schemes you want. Typically in Spring and early fall you go through all options. But to change mid game you have to have a group of older guys to trust them. But changes have to be made during games. Most good coaches won’t wait for halftime though. It’s between series. If not you may be down 21 by HT and hard to come back.

In a round-about-way, Brent Key was excited to drag it across our face. Although he was expected to take over the helm, I am happy we moved on from him. He was not the future of UCF. I am happy to see he's making an impact somewhere else. It sucks to lose, but we have a great future.

Reactions: KnightLife1

Move on.
Stop replying you ****ing shit.

Why the fcuk did I travel to see this pitiful performance??

Getting run over is so demoralizing than getting beat by a balanced attack. Gus and DC still CAN'T make an adjustment. Stack the line, go 5-2, you stubborn fcuk!! DO SOMETHING!!

We make pedestrian RB's and QB's who run into All-stars and Doak Campbell award winners. GT passed for less than 100 yards, you knew the run is coming, no surprise here AND still you cannot stop,,,
Super frustrating. Both lines need almost complete replacement. Just pathetic. Navy 2022 all over again

Reactions: Yaes
Receiver from Bowling Green is from Belle Glade. Has a TD and good amount of yards. Still time left.

This link has a good recap of each bowl game played so far. Can't watch all the games! I went to the Gasparilla Bowl. Although, my and my college buddy had a good time the day before and during the day, the loss sucked. Oh well...there is always next year and I'm hoping for improvement.

VaTech 17 Tulane (11-2) 10 at the Half. Virginia Tech (6-6) looked pretty good with a final drive in the first half 75 yard drive for TD.

VaTech pulling away 41-20. 5 turnovers by Tulane. 328 yards rushing for the hokies. Nasty rainy weather. Game looks to be over unless a miracle by Tulane.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT