ADVERTISEMENT

Great ending: UConn 17 down to beat Memphis -- UCF game out of 5th

UCFProf

Golden Knight
Nov 13, 2011
UCF is a game out of 5th place Memphis, 1 1/2 games back of 4th place UConn.
Even better, both UConn and Memphis still has to play the best 3 schools in the AAC!
Meanwhile, UCF plays 3 of the 4 bottom teams in the conference (as well as Cincy here in Orlando).
First up is dangerous ECU and their super defense that nearly beat us at home in Jan.
Game is Sat. 4PM on ESPN News.

Reactions: UCFhonors
Amazing ending to the game. Memphis was in charge the whole game until the end when UConns crowd took over for the win.

For that reason I do not want to face UConn in the AAC tourney at UConn. Best bet is for us to be the 6th seed and Memphis and UConn are 4th and 5th seeds. Then we wouldn't see UConn until the finals.

Amazing ending to the game. Memphis was in charge the whole game until the end when UConns crowd took over for the win.

For that reason I do not want to face UConn in the AAC tourney at UConn. Best bet is for us to be the 6th seed and Memphis and UConn are 4th and 5th seeds. Then we wouldn't see UConn until the finals.
We don't have the depth to be 6th. We need that fourth or fifth seed. UConn may still not get a bye, what with their impossible remaining conference schedule! Then there's the (silly) sports maxim is how hard it is to beat a team 3 times (happened to us last year against Tulane). Also, if we finish 6th, it means we lose 2 or 3 of our remaining 4 games (unless SMU, Cincy, and Houston can't hand Memphis and UConn at least two more losses each).

Reactions: G-Knight
We don't have the depth to be 6th. We need that fourth or fifth seed. UConn may still not get a bye, what with their impossible remaining conference schedule! Then there's the (silly) sports maxim is how hard it is to beat a team 3 times (happened to us last year against Tulane). Also, if we finish 6th, it means we lose 2 or 3 of our remaining 4 games (unless SMU, Cincy, and Houston can't hand Memphis and UConn at least two more losses each).

We have a bye week before the tourney. So we should be rested more than all the other teams.

I as broke it down. If we finish 5th, UConn is most likely 4th. 4th and 5th play their fist game. We would be knocked out.

If we finish 6th we would most like play 11th seed USF. Win. Then vs #3 Houston. 50/50 chance. Then vs #2 most likely. Would need an upset against a team who is a lock for the NCAA tourney which is possible. That's 3-4 possible wins as 6th seed vs being almost guaranteed a loss against UConn @ home as a 5th seed.

We have a bye week before the tourney. So we should be rested more than all the other teams.

I as broke it down. If we finish 5th, UConn is most likely 4th. 4th and 5th play their fist game. We would be knocked out.

If we finish 6th we would most like play 11th seed USF. Win. Then vs #3 Houston. 50/50 chance. Then vs #2 most likely. Would need an upset against a team who is a lock for the NCAA tourney which is possible. That's 3-4 possible wins as 6th seed vs being almost guaranteed a loss against UConn @ home as a 5th seed.
May all be academic as UConn is one of the hottest teams in nation. They're only a game back of Houston and could easily finish 3rd because Houston has an even tougher schedule remaining than UConn! Houston could go 1-4 and finish 5th or even 6th. We should trying to win every game we can.

May all be academic as UConn is one of the hottest teams in nation. They're only a game back of Houston and could easily finish 3rd because Houston has an even tougher schedule remaining than UConn! Houston could go 1-4 and finish 5th or even 6th. We should trying to win every game we can.
Agreed. Just win. With our lack of depth a bye will be great. If we don't get the bye I doubt we will make it to the championship game due to tired legs. I think we can beat anyone in conference including UCONN if we bring our A game.

Uconn is probably the most dangerous team in the conference right now. Will be interesting to see how they do against SMU and Cincinnati; betting they will probably win at lest one of these 2 games.

Haven't seen SMU play so don't know how good or bad they are. However, the only game I saw Cincy play was against UCF (10 days ago or so) and they did not impress. Maybe they were just playing down to the opponent or whatever excuse the team gave, but the team didn't look sharp.

Uconn is probably the most dangerous team in the conference right now. Will be interesting to see how they do against SMU and Cincinnati; betting they will probably win at lest one of these 2 games.

Haven't seen SMU play so don't know how good or bad they are. However, the only game I saw Cincy play was against UCF (10 days ago or so) and they did not impress. Maybe they were just playing down to the opponent or whatever excuse the team gave, but the team didn't look sharp.
Right! But we showed we are talented enough this year to have a chance to beat either one. SMU and Cincy are shoe ins for the NCAA tournament, both now ranked, but still seeking national respect and decent seeding in March Madness. Only Houston, Memphis, or just maybe UCF could wind up on the bubble if they finish out the season real strong and make the conference tournament finals. UConn's many early losses means they must win the tournament to get in, BUT the tourney as played at their home! That's why they may even be a tourney co-favorite if they get a bye.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT