ADVERTISEMENT

GT vs UCF game

He threw 35 times in a 16-13 game? You think he throws less with scores in 20s-40s?
What GT fanboys are saying is that they'll get more than 7 yards after the catch, because they think we're 'small' like most non-AAC G5s.

I see him throwing 30+ again. But will they be small gainers? Not at first. I see UCF D rotation giving up some plays. That's assuming pass-first. Because UCF defends the run first with its front 7. This is Randy Shannon D.

So ... if I was GT, I'd pass first.

UCF is going to play the run. Every P5, even the SEC, makes the stupid mistake of thinking UCF is small on D. That's why we were dominating LSU in the first 10 minutes of the Fiesta. We put Borrow into bad passing situations, and picked him off right away.

Then LSU went to a pass-first ... and Borrow was flawless. That was the best game I've ever seen by a QB ... ever. Maybe Milton against Cincy '17 was that good ... maybe. But Milton had more 'over the top' throws. Borrows had some more difficult throws, picked us apart over the middle where we dropped LBs. They watched the game film.

And once Borrow was in his rhythm, and our D tired as we'd 'fire back' with a rapid score, they pounded it at us. They wore us down even worse. So if GT passes first, flawlessly, even if only 7 yards/catch, although probably more early on as our D is tackling for the first time, we'll have to 'drop back.'

This really depends on GT v. UCF execution.
And if not that, then UCF killing itself.

The first 25 minutes of Pitt '19 was awful to watch. You'd see UCF was the better team, but UCF would make mistake after mistake. UCF rallied back over 15 minutes between 1st-2nd half, then ... seemingly 'got comfortable.' Pitt should have never won that game ... luck after luck after luck. Credit them in the end though. They won, they did it, they executed when it mattered in those final 5.

That's why we play the games. GT can beat UCF.

It's either going to take flawless execution (more common late in the season) or UCF making lots of mistakes (earlier in the season). GT has a short-yardage QB capable of sustaining drives. So he had better execute, and hope UCF doesn't, or turns it over after half the field.

Because if he executes, GT will then run on us as we are forced to 'drop back' or at least 'cover more wide' with the LBs. You know Shannon D, don't rush many, just stop it 1-2 yards back from the original line with the front 7 ... or drop 2, 3 even 4 (1 DE) back to cover the pass (if they are succeeding at the pass). Very disciplined, assignment D, we have to execute on D too ...

That's why we get the TFLs and turnovers with the front 7, not because we're actually 'aggressive' with the rush, far from it. Shannon rarely rushes big, although when he does ... it's never expected (often delayed).

Reactions: ElprofesorJuan
What GT fanboys are saying is that they'll get more than 7 yards after the catch, because they think we're 'small' like most non-AAC G5s.
You completely misunderstood my point about the size of our receivers. I didn't say anything about YAC. I'm saying if you play a lot of press man coverage, I like our receivers' chances on contested balls because of how physical they are. This has nothing to do with you being AAC, G5, or whatever. I'd put our stable of WRs up against most any secondary when it comes to physical play.

You completely misunderstood my point about the size of our receivers. I didn't say anything about YAC.
Okay, someone else did. My apologies. Our CBs are going to be smaller than our WRs. But that's most teams in general, even P5.

I'm saying if you play a lot of press man coverage, I like our receivers' chances on contested balls because of how physical they are.
We play the run first. We'll drop back and avoid big pickups with the secondary, only giving 5-7 yards. We may rush 1 secondary at times, dropping back a LB instead.

But for the most part, Randy Shannon is 6 of the front 7 stop the run, 4 in secondary stop the pass, plus maybe 1 LB on 3rd down, or 1st if passing is common.

This has nothing to do with you being AAC, G5, or whatever. I'd put our stable of WRs up against most any secondary when it comes to physical play.
And we do ours. We're very sizable at WR, like the top half of P5s. And our O-line is even bigger.

The reason why stars are so skewed is because they are based on number of P5 offers, including their 'position' in those P5 offers. So a 2nd or 3rd offer by a P5 to an UCF recruit, is rated 2-3 stars. But many times, they are NFL calibre, especially when developed.

Especially since they would be 'under-developed' at a P5 where they are on the practice squad their first 2 years, and not see even garbage game time until they were upper class. I cannot emphasize that enough. UCF gets 2 more years of game time in with these recruits than they would at a P5.

UCF has a knack for finding top talent in Florida and southern Georgia that has been overlooked as 2nd tier. Heck, O'Leary used to have 'arguments' on the lawns of recruits when a P5 'swooped in' last second in January. I cannot make that up ... they realized a 3 or even 2 star UCF had identified had been way, way overlooked.

Milton had committed to Navy, until Frost wanted him at Oregon ... but Kelly didn't want an undersized QB.
Gabriel had committed to Army, until Milton went down ... then Georgia, followed by USC, offered.

USC thought they had Gabriel over UCF and Georgia, which is
why Georgia went transfer portal because they thought they had 'lost' Gabriel to USC. Georgia made out very well in that deal too, no argument, but Georgia recruited Gabriel first, before USC.

Fortunately for UCF, Milton basically gave us Gabriel from Day 1. But Gabriel still had to 'check his offers.'

Last edited:
See y'all talking a little about the passing game so here are GT's #'s from FSU game.
Georgia Tech's QB Jeff Sims vs: FSU By aDot
-> @ or behind LOS: 5/6, 8.67 YPA
-> 1-10: 12/16 w/ an int, 6.63 YPA
-> 11-20: 5/6, 17.33 YPA
-> 21+ 1/4 w/ an int and a TD, 5.75 YPA
-> 7.84 aDot
-> 6.32 AYA (AYA = (yards + α*TDs – β*Ints)/Attempts)
-> 56% of his yards came after the catch

GT's Defense vs. FSU
-> @ or behind LOS: 10/10, 6.6 YPA
-> 1-10: 10/17, 4 YPA, 1 TD, 1 Int
-> 11-20: 1/6, 2.5 YPA
-> 21+: 2/9, 5.67 YPA -> 4.65 YPA

They held James Blackman to the lowest PACR (AY/PY) out of any QB thus far.
Blackman had 463 intended air yards and only completed 82 (!) of them.

FSU has one of the best WR in the country in Tamorrion Terry who was held to 4.33 YPT and only catching 24 AY on 183 intended.

Okay, someone else did. My apologies. Our CBs are going to be smaller than our WRs. But that's most teams in general, even P5.
I guess I'm just used to our big DB's. Our starting DB's from FSU game:

CB Zamari Walton 6'3" 187
CB Myles Sims 6'3" 185
SS Tariq Carpenter 6'2" 226
FS Juanyeh Thomas 6'3" 220
Nickel Kaleb Oliver 6'4" 220

Threw 2 redzone picks and we had 2 FG + 1 XP blocked. We could've easily scored 30, so I could definitely see GT scoring 20-30 with the same number of attempts.
You're basically describing UCF '19 (as well as the '17 Peach Bowl against Auburn too), only modified ...

"We had 2 redzone trips with 0 points, not including 1 missed FG and 1 blocked FG ... otherwise it would have been 40-50 with the same number of attempts."

I don't think you realize how fast we can score, and do. Watch the Pitt '19 game from 5 minutes before half-time to 10 minutes after. Pitt didn't know what hit them when we quickly and handily took the lead from them in 15 minutes of game time. Same with Louisville a few years back too.

And then watch the Pitt '18 game and the utter destruction. That's many P5s against UCF this decade. I've never seen so many Pitt fans like I did in '18 flat out mention how we could win the ACC, sans Clemson, and some even wanted to see how well we'd line up against Clemson too.

Everyone forgets who we were before 2015 too. But Collins doesn't. And we've been consistently better since. Frost brought an improved Kelly system and showed it could work. Heupel brought an improved Leach system and showed it worked even better.

Reactions: RunawayKnight
You're basically describing UCF '19 (as well as the '17 Peach Bowl against Auburn too), only modified ...

"We had 2 redzone trips with 0 points, not including 1 missed FG and 1 blocked FG ... otherwise it would have been 40-50 with the same number of attempts."

I don't think you realize how fast we can score, and do. Watch the Pitt '19 game from 5 minutes before half-time to 10 minutes after. Pitt didn't know what hit them when we quickly and handily took the lead from them in 15 minutes of game time. Same with Louisville a few years back too.

And then watch the Pitt '18 game and the utter destruction. That's many P5s against UCF this decade. I've never seen so many Pitt fans like I did in '18 flat out mention how we could win the ACC, sans Clemson, and some even wanted to see how well we'd line up against Clemson too.

Everyone forgets who we were before 2015 too. But Collins doesn't. And we've been consistently better since. Frost brought an improved Kelly system and showed it could work. Heupel brought an improved Leach system and showed it worked even better.
Or he can watch the first half of Stanford last year. If he wants to get zero sleep until Saturday.

I remember hearing the GT students being a bunch of pricks the last time we visited.
Yeah me too. They were. Turns out they were using Their slide rules for lewd gestures toward UCF fans in their groin area and snort laughing while adjusting their taped nose pads on the horn rims.

I don't know what point you keep trying to make to me? Maybe you have me confused with somebody else? I didnt say you couldnt score fast nor have I said you would not win. I'm simply stating where our strengths lie and hoping we can match up well in those areas.

Brent Key is a fantastic O-Line coach. Don’t let him sniff anywhere near a HC position. Where should we get beers/grub around Bobby Dodd? After game nightlife recs and/or quintessential GT place of interest? Should be fun Saturday.
Downtown theres not much, but a $5 uber to Westside there are a bunch of breweries and some good food options.

scofflaw
Firemaker
Steady hand are all great breweries

Das BBQ is a great place on that side of town. Kinda depends what you are looking for

Downtown theres not much, but a $5 uber to Westside there are a bunch of breweries and some good food options.

scofflaw
Firemaker
Steady hand are all great breweries

Das BBQ is a great place on that side of town. Kinda depends what you are looking for
Any recs for Buckhead? That’s where I’m staying.

I guess I'm just used to our big DB's. Our starting DB's from FSU game:

CB Zamari Walton 6'3" 187
CB Myles Sims 6'3" 185
SS Tariq Carpenter 6'2" 226
FS Juanyeh Thomas 6'3" 220
Nickel Kaleb Oliver 6'4" 220
No Doubt GT has an advantage in height. The speed goes to UCF. GT tends to stack the middle. Its why jet sweeps work well against them. Also stretching the field and running up the middle is what UCF does best. Collins is modeling his team like Gol old Teams....Huge line big kids. Reminds me of 2014 UCF team minus Bortles. Also, UCF corners play aggressive. You will be surprised by the team speed. GT has the best Defense UCF will face. UCF is the better team overall. I expect it to be close early then UCF pulls away by 2 scores...Depending on Weather.

Reactions: Knightro20
Teams always assume we're small'n skilled, but don't win the line ... until they line up against us. We push around a lot of lines, especially many P5s outside of SEC. We recruit a lot of underdeveloped beef, a lot. There's not a year that goes by that we don't push around a P5.

2012: Ohio State - we dominated the lines, Braxton Miller was the difference (Bortles' 2x INTs didn't help)
2013; We pushed around everyone (played 3x AP Top 10 teams)
2014: Missouri felt it
2015: Got nothing here, won't excuse it
2016: Maryland
2017: Again, everyone ... Auburn managed a few penetrations early on ... even SEC forums were talking 2nd half
2018: Everyone (Pitt obliterated) ... until the 2nd quarter against LSU ... even SEC forums were talking
2019: Pushed around Pitt (again), Cincy learned from Pitt and stinted against our inexperienced frosh QB#3

Sorry, no, FSU line sucks compared to ours. They'll get better, but not this year. Even Pitt 2018 was UCF hurting itself, not that Pitt was better.

No, O-Line hadn't learned to mesh with our true Freshman QB#3 coming out of camp in '19. Our running game also says otherwise about our O-line even in '19.

That O-line now has more reps and our QB is a sophomore and the named #1 out of camp.

It's really about if GT D can come up with some 'disruptive' stints that hurt our O-line and soph QB#1. It will be far more difficult this year. The O-line has matured with our QB.

BTW ... you know who are DC is, correct?

I agree with most of this, but I was in Pittsburgh last year and did not witness any bullying of their lines by ours. In fact, Pitt was quite disruptive, messed up DGs rhythm, and it was an about-face from '18.

Reactions: UCFChargeOn
So this is how I see it by position and which team is better at those positions.

DB: GT
LB: UCF
DL: Push
OL: Push
WR: Push
RB: GT
QB: UCF
TE: Push?

This is why imo it should be a good game. I think both defenses are set up decent for the others offense. I still think it could be a higher scoring game though. It may come down to who makes the least amount of mistakes. GT has a game under their belt, but UCF has the experience at QB. Should be a fun game!

Watch the Pitt '19 game from 5 minutes before half-time to 10 minutes after. Pitt didn't know what hit them when we quickly and handily took the lead from them in 15 minutes of game time.
Ok so I took your advice and watched that. You're probably not gonna like it but here's my honest assessment after watching that.

End of Q2
-You were gifted a fumble at the Pitt 28.
-Pitt got called for defensive holding which got you to the 11. That should have been PI, not holding as the ball was already in the air. It was also way over receivers head, so should have been waved off and deemed uncatchable. I'll give you that one though. You scored there and that probably made up for a turnover you guys had in the red zone earlier.
-Next drive Harris makes a great catch at the 50. I hope our DB's are ready to defend that and I think they can. We'll see if they can.
-Late hit OOB on Gabriel got you into FG range. It was a penalty though and the right call.

Start of Q3
- Pitt was moving the ball well and Pickett just overthrew a wide open RB that leaked out of the backfield with plenty of room to run. Had to punt
-1st play after punt was a long pass to the 20 against a corner that was not 100% healthy and got beat. As far as I know all our DB's are healthy and we are deep there.
-You scored a TD soon after because Pitt had 12 on the field and the guy at the bottom had to run off and left a WR uncovered for an easy TD.
-Next possession Pitt was moving the ball again and had a 15 yd facemask penalty that got them behind the sticks and had to punt.
-Punt run back for TD, I saw 2 blocks in the back on the return that easily could have been called. They weren't though and good run by your guy.
-Next possession PI that was waved off was total BS. The ref said it was because the ball did not pass the LOS. It would have been had it not bounced off the receiver that just got plowed into.
-Next scoring drive for you, Nixon had a long run after a missed tackle on a 8yd hitch. I don't see our guys missing that tackle. I hope they don't anyway.
-Scored the TD on a play where Pitt jumped offsides and looked like half the team stopped playing because apparently they thought it was going to be blown dead. Bad look on Pitt's part, but it made it sort of a trash TD because it wasn't being defended very much at all.

All in all, from the way you made it sound, I was expecting to watch and see Pitt become overpowered and overwhelmed by UCF's offense and that isn't what I saw at all. I saw Pickett make a few bad throws to open receivers that isn't like him, and I saw some wide open receivers drop a couple passes also. Again I'm not one of those coming on here beating my chest claiming you don't deserve to play with us and can't beat us, blah blah like many others do. I'm well aware how good of a team you guys have and know we have our work cut out for us if we want to win on Saturday. FWIW, as bad as we were last year we played Pitt fairly close last year. Their first TD came on a 1 play drive, long run and we held them to 3 points and 65 yards of offense in the 2nd half. I just hope we play a clean game Saturday because we'll have to play mistake free to keep it close.

Ok so I took your advice and watched that. You're probably not gonna like it but here's my honest assessment after watching that.

End of Q2
-Pitt got called for defensive holding which got you to the 11. That should have been PI, not holding as the ball was already in the air. It was also way over receivers head, so should have been waved off and deemed uncatchable. I'll give you that one though. You scored there and that probably made up for a turnover you guys had in the red zone earlier.
-Next drive Harris makes a great catch at the 50. I hope our DB's are ready to defend that and I think they can. We'll see if they can.
-Late hit OOB on Gabriel got you into FG range. It was a penalty though and the right call.

Start of Q3
- Pitt was moving the ball well and Pickett just overthrew a wide open RB that leaked out of the backfield with plenty of room to run. Had to punt
-1st play after punt was a long pass to the 20 against a corner that was not 100% healthy and got beat. As far as I know all our DB's are healthy and we are deep there.
-You scored a TD soon after because Pitt had 12 on the field and the guy at the bottom had to run off and left a WR uncovered for an easy TD.
-Next possession Pitt was moving the ball again and had a 15 yd facemask penalty that got them behind the sticks and had to punt.
-Punt run back for TD, I saw 2 blocks in the back on the return that easily could have been called. They weren't though and good run by your guy.
-Next possession PI that was waved off was total BS. The ref said it was because the ball did not pass the LOS. It would have been had it not bounced off the receiver that just got plowed into.
-Next scoring drive for you, Nixon had a long run after a missed tackle on a 8yd hitch. I don't see our guys missing that tackle. I hope they don't anyway.
-Scored the TD on a play where Pitt jumped offsides and looked like half the team stopped playing because apparently they thought it was going to be blown dead. Bad look on Pitt's part, but it made it sort of a trash TD because it wasn't being defended very much at all.

All in all, from the way you made it sound, I was expecting to watch and see Pitt become overpowered and overwhelmed by UCF's offense and that isn't what I saw at all. I saw Pickett make a few bad throws to open receivers that isn't like him, and I saw some wide open receivers drop a couple passes also. Again I'm not one of those coming on here beating my chest claiming you don't deserve to play with us and can't beat us, blah blah like many others do. I'm well aware how good of a team you guys have and know we have our work cut out for us if we want to win on Saturday. FWIW, as bad as we were last year we played Pitt fairly close last year. Their first TD came on a 1 play drive, long run and we held them to 3 points and 65 yards of offense in the 2nd half. I just hope we play a clean game Saturday because we'll have to play mistake free to keep it close.
Damn Techies. Always actually following through and thoroughly completing their homework assignments.

End of Q2

Start of Q3

Props to you for actually watching it. I’m excited to see how the game plays out Saturday.

If people on here are seriously worried about losing to GT then those same people would have been terrified of UNC.

GT is at the bottom of the ACC, UNC is towards the top, and we supposedly want to get into the playoffs against Clemson. People on this board need to sack up and believe that we are going to win by three touchdowns.
GT just beat FSU, They can't be at the bottom of the ACC

A couple of quick observations and tidbits

First of all, UCF has a top 5-10 QB/RB combination in ALL of college football and that’s being very modest.

Secondly, GT has exactly 1 DB in the NFL and he’s 28. Let’s not act like we’re going up against a bunch of NFL caliber guys. FSU had receivers open. Blackman just missed them because he sucks. FSU, who is terrible, could have easily won this game. They led nearly the entire game

GT having big DBs is going to be a DISADVANTAGE against our speed and quickness.

Lastly, Sims is going to throw 1–3 very costly INTs and I would not be one bit surprised if one is taken to the house.

Absolutely not. You must not know our team that well. Or at least the running backs. They are ridiculous. Greg McRae has averaged 8 yards a carry and has ran for over 1,100 yards. 2 years ago and he’s healthy. He ran for 81 yards on 10 carries vs LSU with a stellar defense led by the defensive player of the year. He may not even be one of our best TWO running backs.

Ok now watch the 2018 game between ucf/pitt from the opening whistle through the end of quarter 3
I'm looking to draw comparison's to this season. You and Pitt both still have similar teams to last year. Pitt's 2018 team was worse than what they have now and your 2018 team was different also. How many starters do you still have from that 2018 team?

Reactions: Knight Strength
I'm looking to draw comparison's to this season. You and Pitt both still have similar teams to last year. Pitt's 2018 team was worse than what they have now and your 2018 team was different also. How many starters do you still have from that 2018 team?
I think the better comparison is us last year to you this year. Freshman QBs make Freshman mistakes. Especially when forced to throw. Sometimes throwing it away is better than forcing into double coverage or throwing off of back foot.

A couple of quick observations and tidbits

First of all, UCF has a top 5-10 QB/RB combination in ALL of college football and that’s being very modest.

Secondly, GT has exactly 1 DB in the NFL and he’s 28. Let’s not act like we’re going up against a bunch of NFL caliber guys. FSU had receivers open. Blackman just missed them because he sucks. FSU, who is terrible, could have easily won this game. They led nearly the entire game

GT having big DBs is going to be a DISADVANTAGE against our speed and quickness.

Lastly, Sims is going to throw 1–3 very costly INTs and I would not be one bit surprised if one is taken to the house.
I'm choosing to go with this take until game time.
Greg McRae has averaged 8 yards a carry and has ran for over 1,100 yards.
I think I remember it being 8.9.

Reactions: Ucfmikes
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT