ADVERTISEMENT

Heup

UCF LB Titus Davis confirms that Heupal’s offense is EVEN FASTER than Frost’s. @NGSCSports #UCFProDay @RockyManfreda @StatBoyDrew

Does this mean we won’t be staring at sideline after every play waiting for a play call. That irked me. The point of a hurry up is to get defense tired.

Or to prevent them from making adjustments.

#1 in scoring offense and yet you would think it sounds like they were inefficient.

Combine faster offense and throwing more down field equals defense being on the field even more. Conditioning is going to have to be priority for the defense.

Reactions: Knight Strength
I would think not making adjustments would work better if we didn’t give them time to catch their breath.
I disagree. An extra ten-fifteen seconds of letting them catch their breaths is worth it for not letting them sub tired players out or change their personnel package. In the context of a whole game, not letting players get off the field makes a huge difference if your offense can keep getting first downs.

SFs balance of winding down the clock but being able to keep defenses in the dark was genius. A lot of teams run hurry up offense to wear out opponents defenses. This is only one way to have success and it's not surefire. That style of play is failing teams all over the country. Teams study your plays and adapt and soon enough its nothing they haven't seen before. THEN, they run a slow offense so they can keep your defense on the field significantly longer than they are used to and they start to run straight through you. Some teams/coaches have had great success and have faded away, unable to recreate the novelty of a hurry up offense. I'm not saying it's bad, it is an essential part of a more complete offensive toolbox, but we need to be really good at short and slow style of play and set our defense up for success too.
We're hearing Heup kept some stuff from before so we might be in for a really great season.

PS correct me if I'm wrong

Reactions: GILL T
Meh. Maybe so, but there was definitely a douchebag period with Verdesco and Chinander checking out, gutting of the staff, possibly hidden BS with computer files, and stealing of recruits. Heupel was basically the only man on the staff for a very nerve racking period and we can thank DD and it’s coffee for saving the early transition period. Haha. He must have worked 24/7 for awhile during the holidays.
Yes, the staff came back for the Peach Bowl and coached well. I’ll give them that.
Chinander didn't check out. The defense just played 11 games straight, and the last 2 were top 25 teams, with us having 2 days less than USF to prepare too.

I was hard on Chinander, but he proved that was the case in the Peach Bowl, just like he said. The kids were also indicating that had a lot to do with it too.

Reactions: firm_bizzle
I disagree. An extra ten-fifteen seconds of letting them catch their breaths is worth it for not letting them sub tired players out or change their personnel package. In the context of a whole game, not letting players get off the field makes a huge difference if your offense can keep getting first downs.
Not getting what you are saying. In a true hurry up you don’t let them sub or catch their breath. SF was hurrying to line but then not snapping ball. Letting defense catch breath and set up. Not really what I liked.

Reactions: JAFFX2
Have to wonder if Frost was going easy on our defense by slowing down play calling.
Also, confidence in our offense may NOT have been where it is now in year 3. KZ is really clicking and so are the others in fast offense style of play. This upcoming season was suppose to be our year. If our defense with experience backs now can hold their own, we may see some crazy scores this year like Cincinnati game :)

Reactions: Knight Strength
Otis upset?
his Mom complaining on twitter, he removed 'UCF Student Athlete' from his profile, changed his profile pic from UCF to all black like Jawon Hamilton, Dungeon freaking out, etc

This would be a massive loss and why I did not like not going after a couple more skill positions in this last recruiting class. A clown car of talent can turn into a thin depth chart real quick. Our players seem to love the drama and seem to lack patience to see things through, sucks to see as a fan but some of these players still have a love affair with Frost.

Early to speculate, but seems like too much tinkering with an offense that ranked 1st. If you can't get players to buy in, doesn't matter the talent.

his Mom complaining on twitter, he removed 'UCF Student Athlete' from his profile, changed his profile pic from UCF to all black like Jawon Hamilton, Dungeon freaking out, etc

This would be a massive loss and why I did not like not going after a couple more skill positions in this last recruiting class. A clown car of talent can turn into a thin depth chart real quick. Our players seem to love the drama and seem to lack patience to see things through, sucks to see as a fan but some of these players still have a love affair with Frost.
His mom was actually the first to trash Frost They both did. Didn’t they? A few of our guys are acting a bit more childish about this than most players IMO. Give it a chance.

He has to go through some dark times to see the light? So dramatic. What exactly does that mean? Maybe it’s not even football related.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guinness_Knight
If you don’t want to be here, leave. Still a few late qualifiers out there.
He’s been all UCF from high school. He’s been all in from day #1. He’s been a star as a freshman. He’s been an important part of our NC 13-0 season. He still is. He’s been all over National television.

No knee jerk reactions. That’s what parenting is supposed to be for.

Reactions: knightraveler

Whoa cowboy!! We still have like 8 running backs and a dozen wide receivers. Almost literally. That’s actually part of the problem

It’s impossible for a new head coach to duplicate the old one’s style completely. It’s not his responsibility to do so or to please all of the players. Unfortunately, usually there will be a loss/transfer rate greater than what we have seen. It’s part of the coaching turnaround in any sport.

Last edited:
Reactions: JAFFX2
Whoa cowboy!! We still have like 8 running backs and a dozen wide receivers. Almost literally. That’s actually part of the problem

It’s impossible for a new head coach to duplicate the old one’s style completely. It’s not his responsibility to do so or to please all of the players. Unfortunately, usually there will be a loss/transfer rate greater than what we have seen. It’s part of the coaching turnaround in any sport.
Heup can do what he wants but I don't think I'm overreacting that Otis leaving would be a devastating blow to this team. Some players 'have it' and he is on the top of that list, his field vision as a true freshman was amazing. None of us know how Bentavious or McCrae would do in that role.

Reactions: Wings0fred
Heup can do what he wants but I don't think I'm overreacting that Otis leaving would be a devastating blow to this team. Some players 'have it' and he is on the top of that list, his field vision as a true freshman was amazing. None of us know how Bentavious or McCrae would do in that role.
You’re not overreacting, but I don’t think he’s going to be used the same way from what I’m understanding. I’m assuming that’s one of the issues. Makes the blow less devastating to the 2018 team vs 2017

You’re not overreacting, but I don’t think he’s going to be used the same way from what I’m understanding. I’m assuming that’s one of the issues. Makes the blow less devastating to the 2018 team vs 2017
Practice for a week or 2 and he knows how he’s going to be used? His mom is way too vocal. She is the female Lavar Ball. I’d be embarrassed if my mom was all over twitter talking nonsense all day long. She overeacted about Griffen not getting invited to combine too.

Practice for a week or 2 and he knows how he’s going to be used? His mom is way too vocal. She is the female Lavar Ball. I’d be embarrassed if my mom was all over twitter talking nonsense all day long. She overeacted about Griffen not getting invited to combine too.
100% agree.

I didn’t see his mom complaining. Unless she deleted them.

Otis should be the every down back. With Killins/Thompson/C Rich giving him breathers. Otis was extremely successful last season compared to Killins

Otis should be the every down back. With Killins/Thompson/C Rich giving him breathers. Otis was extremely successful last season compared to Killins
For whatever reason he’s not in Heupel’s vision at RB for his offense. Odd. Killins is injury prone. If he goes down, then what?

Sounds like he’s frustrated. The established WRs are talented. Still think it’s a bad idea regardless.
Based off of 2 weeks of Spring practice? If we are going to run more, it probably makes more sense to use 2 or 3 RBs. No need to spread out carries so no one gets any recognition. In order for Richardson and maybe Hamilton to stay, someone has to lose carries. Only 1 ball. But he has to realize he’s 1 injury away from jumping right back to where he was. Staff could also see him translate better at receiver in NFL. Get him reps there now instead of waiting till Sr year.

Reactions: Knight_Light
Based off of 2 weeks of Spring practice? If we are going to run more, it probably makes more sense to use 2 or 3 RBs. No need to spread out carries so no one gets any recognition. In order for Richardson and maybe Hamilton to stay, someone has to lose carries. Only 1 ball. But he has to realize he’s 1 injury away from jumping right back to where he was. Staff could also see him translate better at receiver in NFL. Get him reps there now instead of waiting till Sr year.
If he wanted to play RB and he’s a WR, he will be frustrated. He’s a #1 or #2 RB. He’s not a #1 or #2 WR. That’s all I’m saying. Doubt he can just jump back into a new offense at RB that easily if he’s spending his time learning WR

Reactions: Poolside Knight
Agree that Helicopter Parents are never a good thing. Seems like UCF has to deal with this with several players entitlement and transfer threats, too much drama. With Griffin gone the worry is going to grow about the locker room going to crap, it wasn't just talent that led to an undefeated season..it was chemistry at all levels from the Coaches to the Players.

Agree that Helicopter Parents are never a good thing. Seems like UCF has to deal with this with several players entitlement and transfer threats, too much drama. With Griffin gone the worry is going to grow about the locker room going to crap, it wasn't just talent that led to an undefeated season..it was chemistry at all levels from the Coaches to the Players.
Griffen not only wanted to transfer, he wanted to quit. When adversity hits, the cream rises to top. Let’s see who rises and who falls. Someone will take over. Question is who.

Griffen not only wanted to transfer, he wanted to quit. When adversity hits, the cream rises to top. Let’s see who rises and who falls. Someone will take over. Question is who.

Goes both ways. There was a running back that felt he wasn't given the opportunity he deserved, transferred to an in state team and scored 17 tds and won a major bowl.

Goes both ways. There was a running back that felt he wasn't given the opportunity he deserved, transferred to an in state team and scored 17 tds and won a major bowl.
Who was that?

Early to speculate, but seems like too much tinkering with an offense that ranked 1st. If you can't get players to buy in, doesn't matter the talent.

I guess they don't realize that every opposing coach has game film on them from last year and the stuff that worked before may not be as effective, so you need to develop a 2nd act.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT