ADVERTISEMENT

Huepel cost UCF Game.

Sure in a vacuum, but that play for us had bad results all game, especially when you run it with a 170 lb. RB into the strength of the Pitt D.....there were many other calls that had a better chance at converting.......IMO Otis has a much better chance of beating the defenders to the edge then he does getting through that stacked line in the middle.........

nEJA28.png
Based on this photo, I run up the middle to the left where there are two blockers on a single linebacker. Not to the outside where there are two defenders with outside leverage. I would have to see the full video.

This isn’t the 4th down run, but does show 6 defenders in coverage. And 6 UCF blockers unable to block 5 Pitt players. The problem with that run is the line. 6 vs 5 is a favorable scenario if the line does their job.

Yes this was the third down I think we ended up punting on but still an ineffective play .......This is the 4th and 2 and it would appear that the DE got off of TEs (Hescock?) block to make the tackle a yard short.........

Yy2nf7.png

Yes this was the third down I think we ended up punting on but still an ineffective play .......This is the 4th and 2 and it would appear that the DE got off of TEs (Hescock?) block to make the tackle a yard short.........

Yy2nf7.png
None of the LBs were playing PA. Not one. They were stacking box. Which means PA would have worked. One safety sitting back there so a quick slant could have been defended. The receivers on both ends getting man coverage and looking like bump and run. That’s where we exploited them all game.

Reactions: Ucfmikes and JAFFX2
Has anybody given any thought to the fact that maybe a freshman qb made the wrong read. I think a pass to the slot or a short pass on a slant from the wide side of the field could have given us first down. I think we need to just relax and move on to the next game.

Reactions: Knight Strength
Has anybody given any thought to the fact that maybe a freshman qb made the wrong read. I think a pass to the slot or a short pass on a slant from the wide side of the field could have given us first down. I think we need to just relax and move on to the next game.
Or maybe the Freshman QB could have tucked and run for a couple of first downs fairly easily?

I think we need to just relax and move on to the next game.
Easier said than done. We aren’t use to losing these days. Especially, in the manner that we were winning games. That’s why we are breaking in down so meticulously.

Hopefully, the coaches adjust to what everyone is seeing. That may seem completely ridiculous, but coaches can be stubborn. I don’t put them on a pedestal just because they are making millions. Coaches make mistakes all the time.
Only time will tell if Heupel is the type of coach that adjusts to mismatches and knows his team’s personnel and the opponents strengths and weaknesses.

Look at GOL vs FIU at the end of the game in 2015. Totally screwed up by kicking a field goal and he was a coach of 40 years

Reactions: Yaes
Hopefully, the coaches adjust to what everyone is seeing. That may seem completely ridiculous, but coaches can be stubborn. I don’t put them on a pedestal just because they are making millions. Coaches make mistakes all the time.

Interesting that todays interview of Elarbee was not just a bunch of BS coach speak........he owned that the O line was not prepared for the game..........

"We've got to handle movement better. I've got to do a better job preparing them. That falls on me. I should have done a better job on that piece of it. I feel like we've had a good week of practice and we'll be able to handle it from here on out."

Interesting that todays interview of Elarbee was not just a bunch of BS coach speak........he owned that the O line was not prepared for the game..........

"We've got to handle movement better. I've got to do a better job preparing them. That falls on me. I should have done a better job on that piece of it. I feel like we've had a good week of practice and we'll be able to handle it from here on out."
That’s cool

So arguably our best position group and coach turned out to help lead to our first loss

Who would have thought?

I still think G5 lines can’t compete often with a
Mid-tier ACC line

That’s cool

So arguably our best position group and coach turned out to help lead to our first loss

Who would have thought?

I still think G5 lines can’t compete often with a
Mid-tier ACC line
We’ve tend to beat ACC teams in last 10 years though I think. BC wasn’t pushing us around. We beat Pitt last year. NC State wasn’t killing us. I just think they thought they could show up and win. Hope it was a wake up call and not truly being outmanned.

We’ve tend to beat ACC teams in last 10 years though I think. BC wasn’t pushing us around. We beat Pitt last year. NC State wasn’t killing us. I just think they thought they could show up and win. Hope it was a wake up call and not truly being outmanned.
I do remember North Carolina State controlling the line of scrimmage in 2014 and Boston college in 2009, but not in Orlando

Pitts defense is also very good. They had 12 sacks and 14 hurries on 103 QB dropbacks entering the game (25.2% of dropbacks with pressure). Against UCF they had 6 sacks and 7 QB hurries (27% of dropbacks). And statistically they have played one of the hardest overall schedules thus far. So pretty impressive.

Easier said than done. We aren’t use to losing these days. Especially, in the manner that we were winning games. That’s why we are breaking in down so meticulously.

Only time will tell if Heupel is the type of coach that adjusts to mismatches and knows his team’s personnel and the opponents strengths and weaknesses.

Look at GOL vs FIU at the end of the game in 2015. Totally screwed up by kicking a field goal and he was a coach of 40 years
Hopefully the coaches don't give damn about what we say here on this message board because if they are getting ideas from here we are screwed

We completely have eliminated that dimension of our offense and that’s a problem

So I did a little light reading on Briles Baylor scheme which allegedly is what CJH has based his scheme on. Relatively speaking it is very simple....."speed is king", go vertical early and often, our guy is gonna beat yours......inside zone and power-O blocking up the middle. The key 3rd element that was obviously missing against Pitt was the QB read option, the big question is why.....

It was very obvious that this scheme is exactly what CJH is running. I think this may be a departure from his first year transition hybrid scheme that he ran with KZ.......

So I did a little light reading on Briles Baylor scheme which allegedly is what CJH has based his scheme on. Relatively speaking it is very simple....."speed is king", go vertical early and often, our guy is gonna beat yours......inside zone and power-O blocking up the middle. The key 3rd element that was obviously missing against Pitt was the QB read option, the big question is why.....

It was very obvious that this scheme is exactly what CJH is running. I think this may be a departure from his first year transition hybrid scheme that he ran with KZ.......
It is a tempo offense. If run correctly you sacrifice some of the complexity to run plays in 6-8 seconds and keep the defense off balance. This is why UCFs success rate on first down vs later downs is so drastic. Frost ran a hurry up no huddle, but it was hurry up and get to the line and then call the play in. By design it was significantly slower. UCFs offense now is meant to overwhelm with tempo and speed at the skill positions. It is built to beat teams with similar level of talent. It obviously didn’t have amazing success against LSU or Pitt this year (though it still worked at times), but he is also breaking in a new QB.

Reactions: Knight_Light
It is a tempo offense. If run correctly you sacrifice some of the complexity to run plays in 6-8 seconds and keep the defense off balance. This is why UCFs success rate on first down vs later downs is so drastic. Frost ran a hurry up no huddle, but it was hurry up and get to the line and then call the play in. By design it was significantly slower. UCFs offense now is meant to overwhelm with tempo and speed at the skill positions. It is built to beat teams with similar level of talent. It obviously didn’t have amazing success against LSU or Pitt this year (though it still worked at times), but he is also breaking in a new QB.

Which goes in line with his success at Missouri. He crushed teams with weaker or similar talent with an NFL caliber QB, but struggled against quality opponents and a struggling offense resulted in 30+ points by opponents every time in losses.

Reactions: Yaes and Ucfmikes
Which goes in line with his success at Missouri. He crushed teams with weaker or similar talent with an NFL caliber QB, but struggled against quality opponents and a struggling offense resulted in 30+ points by opponents every time in losses.
Missouri wasn't crushing anybody when he was there as the OC. There is also the other part of football called defense:
2016: 4-8 (defense ranked #89)
2017: 7-6 (defense ranked #95). What a strange season. They started 1-5, then won 6 in a row, then lost their bowl game.

You have to play some kind of defense to win games, and/or produce tons of turnovers like we did in 2017 and 2018. Our defense was ranked #53 in 2017 and #36 in 2018, plus we were #2 and #3 in turnover margin both of those seasons.

Last edited:
Missouri wasn't crushing anybody when he was there as the OC. There is also the other part of football called defense:
2016: 4-8 (defense ranked #89)
2017: 7-6 (defense ranked #95). What a strange season. They started 1-5, then won 6 in a row, then lost their bowl game.

Average win by 30 points in their 7 wins in 2017. I know UCF is used to winning big, but saying 30 point wins is not crushing sounds ridiculous. They beat the weaker teams handedly and lost to the descent and ranked teams.

Reactions: JAFFX2 and Ucfmikes
t was very obvious that this scheme is exactly what CJH is running. I think this may be a departure from his first year transition hybrid scheme that he ran with KZ...
Exactly. This is not the same offense he ran last year.

Hopefully the coaches don't give damn about what we say here on this message board because if they are getting ideas from here we are screwed
I’m not sure exactly what this statement means.

However, after reading a few of your comments, it doesn’t sound like you have the stomach to be able to handle message boards. Is that correct?

Perhaps crocheting is better suited for you?

Pitts defense is also very good. They had 12 sacks and 14 hurries on 103 QB dropbacks entering the game (25.2% of dropbacks with pressure). Against UCF they had 6 sacks and 7 QB hurries (27% of dropbacks). And statistically they have played one of the hardest overall schedules thus far. So pretty impressive.

Look at Michigan State before and after Narduzzi ((sp?) left for Pitt. That guy is a legit Defensive mind. I think he spent a year game planning on our scheme and tempo after getting humiliated in Orlando last year. His head coaching skills are debatable but he can put a D game plan together with the best of them.

Exactly. This is not the same offense he ran last year.

This year we're in heuper speed. We may have set a record for 3 and out. Seriously I think we're going way too fast. Players looked confused on more than one occasion. Slowing it down to ludicrous speed might be helpful.

This year we're in heuper speed. We may have set a record for 3 and out. Seriously I think we're going way too fast. Players looked confused on more than one occasion. Slowing it down to ludicrous speed might be helpful.
I’m not sure that the Tempo is too fast, but the quick, long, strikes really attempt to score often and move it down the field quickly.

When it works, it’s great.

However, when it isn’t working, like trying to live and die with a walk-on WR, the 3 and outs make it such an all or none offense that it kills your defense

Reactions: PowerEye101
I’m not sure that the Tempo is too fast, but the quick, long, strikes really attempt to score often and move it down the field quickly.

When it works, it’s great.

However, when it isn’t working, like trying to live and die with a walk-on WR, the 3 and outs make it such an all or none offense that it kills your defense
You could hit a point of diminishing returns if tempo trumps comprehension. DG looked like a traffic cop at times directing players where to be.

Reactions: Ucfmikes
How much time did he have to read????

How much time did he have to read???

From what I’m gathering from comments that I’m reading is that the coaches are really analyzing this game to the max

You can learn more from 1 loss than 20 wins

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT