ADVERTISEMENT

Huepel cost UCF Game.

The deep threat and run up the middle off RPO will work in AAC play because our OLine can protect and attack. Against better quality P5 teams, our OL/DL are undersized and inferior. It was exposed this week and versus LSU last year. Difference between Frost and Heupel is Frost took advantage of speed, using RB’s and TE play calls. Heupel refuses to make that adjustment and continues same game plan whether its working or not. I’m nervous to see what happens when Frosts speedy recruits graduate.
exactly why when a lot of fans were already saying Heup>Frost last season I said it's too soon to make any conclusion. Heup could be another Larry Coker. The D. Gabriel commitment could end up being huge but that is in large part bc of Milton so the Frost domino effect is still potentially having a positive impact on this Program.

Last edited:
Our running game hasn't kicked in yet either other than big plays. Too many things to put it all on Heup. I'll still take him any day over GOL offense :)
I certainly can't argue with you there but some may be beginning to wonder if he is not just about as stubborn.

Reactions: JAFFX2 and Ucfmikes
We are going to find out really soon if he’s stubborn or not

That won’t be tolerated with this fanbase, nor should it be.

Right now, we will give him time

He's not going anywhere anytime soon in terms of firing. He would have to have losing seasons. 7-5 season won't lead to dismissal. And even then, look around the country. Vast majority of coaches are stubborn, they just win because they are able to get the right players to fit their system.

Reactions: hemightbejeremy
We are going to find out really soon if he’s stubborn or not

That won’t be tolerated with this fanbase, nor should it be.

Right now, we will give him time
Lol he is one of the winningest coaches ever to start a career. Not going to be fired because some fans are upset that he ran the ball on a fourth and less than 2.

Lol he is one of the winningest coaches ever to start a career. Not going to be fired because some fans are upset that he ran the ball on a fourth and less than 2.
If you look at the game, a lot of our runs went for at least two yards. I think we only got 0 or less in something like 5 runs in almost 30 attempts (not counting sacks). And a lot of runs ended up being 5+ yards too.
It’s super frustrating to watch but wasn’t a completely ineffective play.

I think we need some perspective on things. He’s a brand new head coach as of last year and is still learning. Frost’s offensive play calling was A+ but most forget how bad our defense was most of the time. Heup is a lot more balanced, where his offensive play calling falls off, the defense is so much better. Sure he made a few questionable calls, but we also could have easily won had we not come out looking so lethargic.

On the playing side we had multiple plays that should have been touchdowns and plenty of penalties that should have never happened. Just on the last drive the offsides on 4th and 5 could have been an easy game changer.

I think the real reason we lost was because we went down 21-0 and didn’t have any rhythm until late in the 2nd quarter. If you look back to the Stanford game we went up big in the first half and fell flat in the second, then that same level of play carried into the Pitt game. If we figure out how we possibly came out after halftime against Stanford and go three and out on three completions then we beat Pitt handily.

I attribute the loss to Heup, but that doesn’t mean he’s any less the long term coach for us. The guy inherited a very good team, but that doesn’t make it any easier to come in and go 15-2. Losing to Pitt by one point is just a misstep and not a symptom of long term problems.

He's not going anywhere anytime soon in terms of firing. He would have to have losing seasons. 7-5 season won't lead to dismissal. And even then, look around the country. Vast majority of coaches are stubborn, they just win because they are able to get the right players to fit their system.
Nobody is saying anything about being fired and it’s kind of ignorant and an oversimplification to say that we are only talking about a 4th and 2 run here.

There’s a whole thread with people agreeing that Heupel cost us the game and I haven’t even gone that far to say that

I’m just saying that he’s not immune to fan criticism

Saying that he’s one of the winningest coaches is even a more ignorant statement that doesn’t tell the whole story. Tell me which game or games that he has won that he shouldn’t have?

By the way, the playcalling wasn’t exactly stellar vs LSU either

Last edited:
UCF conservatively could have had 51 points with no change in playcalls. They threw 2 picks inside the 30 (FG range). 6 points. Gabe Davis missed keeping his foot in by less than an inch at the end of the first half and we settled for a field goal. 4 points. Harris lost track of the sideline on 2 potential touchdown catches late. 7 points. If we are sitting here with 51 points against a team that had allowed 57 all season coming in then people are talking about our unstoppable offense. Just some perspective.

I certainly can't argue with you there but some may be beginning to wonder if he is not just about as stubborn.
Here's the thing about the successful running game. When it is working there is a push by our offensive line and then our small RBs sneak out behind them.

Our offensive and defensive lines were exposed. Our skillplayers at RB, WR, corners, etc I believe are as good as any in College Football. Both our lines are good in AAC play and mid-lower P5 but can not handle above average P5 programs. Eventually they will wear down and be ineffective to close the game. In terms play calling: it’s obvious Heupel has NO idea how to make offensive adjustments during the game. It was obvious to everyone watching what would work and what wasn’t. In my opinion, he seems stubborn, set in his ways and will not admit fault for his coaching shortcomings. (Just watch his press conferences)

If we’re talking about Alabama, LSU and Clemson then I would say yes those teams are clearly head and shoulders above our lines. However, Pitt is not above us.

This loss came down to playcalling and scheme of how we use the offense and defensive lines. I don’t believe they were used correctly in this game against Pitt which tells me that maybe our coaches didn’t scout and scheme properly for Pitt this year. Just because we have a certain way that we always run our offense and defense and we wanna stick to that because that’s who we are doesn’t mean that you can’t be prepared to make good adjustments.

For starters Huep needs to find a real full back or turn one our d-lineman into a full back like we did with tristian last year. What happened to the tank formation. We have a ton of athletic defensive linemen who can run tank formation.

This is just my opinion but I believe that we have superior talent but I think the coaches failed in this game. We had the talent to beat Pitt straight up and the coaches wanted to prove that.

I want to see more diversity from Huep and when you go up against a team with equal line talent then you need to get more creative which Huep didn’t do. Are game adjustments an issue for Huep and Shannon? Great coaches adjust on the fly. Is that something we need to watch moving forward?

Bottom line, the biggest improvement that I see needs to come from the coaches.

If we’re talking about Alabama, LSU and Clemson then I would say yes those teams are clearly head and shoulders above our lines. However, Pitt is not above us.

This loss came down to playcalling and scheme of how we use the offense and defensive lines. I don’t believe they were used correctly in this game against Pitt which tells me that maybe our coaches didn’t scout and scheme properly for Pitt this year. Just because we have a certain way that we always run our offense and defense and we wanna stick to that because that’s who we are doesn’t mean that you can’t be prepared to make good adjustments.

For starters Huep needs to find a real full back or turn one our d-lineman into a full back like we did with tristian last year. What happened to the tank formation. We have a ton of athletic defensive linemen who can run tank formation.

This is just my opinion but I believe that we have superior talent but I think the coaches failed in this game. We had the talent to beat Pitt straight up and the coaches wanted to prove that.

I want to see more diversity from Huep and when you go up against a team with equal line talent then you need to get more creative which Huep didn’t do. Are game adjustments an issue for Huep and Shannon? Great coaches adjust on the fly. Is that something we need to watch moving forward?

Exactly. We were clearly outcoached and we need to stop breaking it down into individual plays.

We clearly didn’t have equal line play and the coaches failed to scout that properly or adjust.

Stop running the damn 170 backs into the heart of the defense and stop putting your young QBs Mack then Gabriel back there with defensive lineman teeing off. Then, they WILL get hurt

I not sure anyone is seriously talking about firing.

Reactions: Ucfmikes
UCF conservatively could have had 51 points with no change in playcalls. They threw 2 picks inside the 30 (FG range). 6 points. Gabe Davis missed keeping his foot in by less than an inch at the end of the first half and we settled for a field goal. 4 points. Harris lost track of the sideline on 2 potential touchdown catches late. 7 points. If we are sitting here with 51 points against a team that had allowed 57 all season coming in then people are talking about our unstoppable offense. Just some perspective.
Can't you make these points on just about any game. I mean what could have worked or how close it was? What's that old saying about horseshoes?

Reactions: Ucfmikes

Could BW be a fullback? It doesn't look like he's going to play QB.

Can't you make these points on just about any game. I mean what could have worked or how close it was? What's that old saying about horseshoes?
Not really. UCF hadn’t thrown an INT all season coming in. There is no other game where we could have had 17 additional points by simply having better sideline awareness and not throwing INTs.

Reactions: Knight_Light
Not really. UCF hadn’t thrown an INT all season coming in. There is no other game where we could have had 17 additional points by simply having better sideline awareness and not throwing INTs.

The offense couldn't move the ball unless it was difficult high risk high reward throws down the field. Which Gabriel made at a very high percentage, and yes multiple led to out of bounds because again these are not easy plays. Virtually any other college QB wouldn't have had as high completion rate, and to expect Gabriel to be able to do that every week is going to be very troubling for the team.

The offense couldn't move the ball unless it was difficult high risk high reward throws down the field. Which Gabriel made at a very high percentage, and yes multiple led to out of bounds because again these are not easy plays. Virtually any other college QB wouldn't have had as high completion rate, and to expect Gabriel to be able to do that every week is going to be very troubling for the team.
I don’t think we expect him to do that every week. Generally against AAC teams we will run for 300 yards. Pitt opted to load the box and play man on the outside. Only they couldn’t really cover UCF on the outside well, and anytime they didn’t get pressure immediately UCF was hitting (or nearly hitting) the big plays.

I really cannot fathom this thread. We have a bunch of people on this thread who should be making millions of dollars coaching college football. Also a bunch of people with really short memory

2781.jpg

On the two sideline plays I would give a lot of credit to the defensive player who kept receivers to the outside making it difficult for receiver to stay in bounds and also making it easier for him to push him out of bounds if the catch was made thus perhaps saving a TD.

On the two sideline plays I would give a lot of credit to the defensive player who kept receivers to the outside making it difficult for receiver to stay in bounds and also making it easier for him to push him out of bounds if the catch was made thus perhaps saving a TD.
So then we are in agreement. It was Pitts defense and not Heupels playcalling that was the difference.

I think we need some perspective on things. He’s a brand new head coach as of last year and is still learning. Frost’s offensive play calling was A+ but most forget how bad our defense was most of the time. Heup is a lot more balanced, where his offensive play calling falls off, the defense is so much better. Sure he made a few questionable calls, but we also could have easily won had we not come out looking so lethargic.

Lest we forget Frost's playcalling was suspect in year one @ UCF.

So then we are in agreement. It was Pitts defense and not Heupels playcalling that was the difference.
No, I was referencing you comment about sideline inches and players not knowing where the sideline is.

Lest we forget Frost's playcalling was suspect in year one @ UCF.
Everyone’s playcalling becomes suspect when the results of the playcall are not successful. Particularly if you also lose the game. In a vacuum, a decision to run the ball on 4th and less than 2 is not a controversial play call. People are upset that it wasn’t some other playcall that they are convinced would be more successful based on what they are seeing from the couch.

Everyone’s playcalling becomes suspect when the results of the playcall are not successful. Particularly if you also lose the game. In a vacuum, a decision to run the ball on 4th and less than 2 is not a controversial play call. People are upset that it wasn’t some other playcall that they are convinced would be more successful based on what they are seeing from the couch.
I was surprised they didn't kick the field goal with the amount of time remaining on the clock. By the book that would have been the right call. Gutsy call that backfired. The biggest problem was not spying the QB who ran open field for multiple first downs.

Reactions: Yaes
In a vacuum, a decision to run the ball on 4th and less than 2 is not a controversial play call.

Sure in a vacuum, but that play for us had bad results all game, especially when you run it with a 170 lb. RB into the strength of the Pitt D.....there were many other calls that had a better chance at converting.......IMO Otis has a much better chance of beating the defenders to the edge then he does getting through that stacked line in the middle.........

nEJA28.png

Sure in a vacuum, but that play for us had bad results all game, especially when you run it with a 170 lb. RB into the strength of the Pitt D.....there were many other calls that had a better chance at converting.......IMO Otis has a much better chance of beating the defenders to the edge then he does getting through that stacked line in the middle.........

nEJA28.png
What’s happening here is that we are arguing offensive philosophy, personnel used, and adjustments

The other argument is situational playcalling and individual plays

That’s why Jeremy isn’t seeing what we are arguing and vice versa IMO

Reactions: JAFFX2
If this was last year MM could have ran it

We completely have eliminated that dimension of our offense and that’s a problem

Reactions: RCallaLillie

nEJA28.png
In that photo the DE is going to push RB inside and 3 is right there for the tackle. Looks like they are blocking left. Which is the way the RB should run.

nEJA28.png
This isn’t the 4th down run, but does show 6 defenders in coverage. And 6 UCF blockers unable to block 5 Pitt players. The problem with that run is the line. 6 vs 5 is a favorable scenario if the line does their job.

Don't you think it is when your D--line is having trouble all day and they have been stuffing a lot of OT plays?

I really cannot fathom this thread. We have a bunch of people on this thread who should be making millions of dollars coaching college football. Also a bunch of people with really short memory
They should rename this post to will coach support for CJH for free.

This isn’t the 4th down run, but does show 6 defenders in coverage. And 6 UCF blockers unable to block 5 Pitt players. The problem with that run is the line. 6 vs 5 is a favorable scenario if the line does their job.
It’s 6 blockers and 6 Pitt players within 2 yards of LOS

It’s 6 blockers and 6 Pitt players within 2 yards of LOS
Definitely 6 guys rushing and another,3, coming in for run support. 2 were totally unblocked. 77 has his back to a DT I believe helping push left. It was really 7v6 in their favor with 2 coming in untouched.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT