ADVERTISEMENT

Huepel cost UCF Game.

I’m trying to figure out why people are blaming Heupel when we score 34 points and probably another 12 if receivers know where the sideline is, and not our defense that gave up 35 to a team that scored 20 on Ohio. That’s inexcusable. Even if you give them 10 for turnovers that’s 25 by defense. At most should have given up 20 even with short fields.

I’m trying to figure out why people are blaming Heupel when we score 34 points and probably another 12 if receivers know where the sideline is, and not our defense that gave up 35 to a team that scored 20 on Ohio. That’s inexcusable. Even if you give them 10 for turnovers that’s 25 by defense. At most should have given up 20 even with short fields.
We scored 27 offensive points

When your offense is inept, your defense is going to give up a lot more points

Why throw a bomb 11 times when there is so much that needs to be perfect? We are basically relying on a freshman throwing to a walk-on and we are expecting to beat Pittsburgh with that?

If the long bomb was a great offense, then everyone would do it. It has it’s place obviously, but it’s not a play to live and die by

Throwing it on 3rd and 6 is ballsy and it worked, but I wouldn’t use that as my go to 3rd and 6 play even if “he saw something in the defense.”

Reactions: Yaes and JAFFX2
And who’s to blame for this? Do they not practice this? Is it not coaching?
I think some responsibility falls on the players, receivers coach and OC who do the day to day with them while the HC is overseeing everything else. Georgia and NDs defenses didn’t wilt when their offenses weren’t putting up 27 points. 27 points is a lot. There is a reason we have the record for games scoring 30 in a row. It’s hard to do. If you score 28 you should win most games. If not, you have a bad defense.

I think some responsibility falls on the players, receivers coach and OC who do the day to day with them while the HC is overseeing everything else. Georgia and NDs defenses didn’t wilt when their offenses weren’t putting up 27 points. 27 points is a lot. There is a reason we have the record for games scoring 30 in a row. It’s hard to do. If you score 28 you should win most games. If not, you have a bad defense.
They probably have more depth. Most times you win putting up 27/34, but if you’re not going to put up 45 (UCF averaged 51) then don’t put up 27/34 with a big disparity in time of possession. Those was short drives that gave Pittsburgh a ton of chances. Heck, they missed 2 field goals too

Reactions: Yaes and JAFFX2
A couple weeks ago people were saying this is the best O Line ever at UCF. Now we want coach fired because we lost by 1 point to a team with a monster D Line. By we I don’t mean everyone. I’m not we either.

A couple weeks ago people were saying this is the best O Line ever at UCF. Now we want coach fired because we lost by 1 point to a team with a monster D Line. By we I don’t mean everyone. I’m not we either.
I don’t want to fire the coach

I’ve woken up to this fact:

Our best offensive line EVER isn’t as good as LSU’s WORST defensive line or an average or better for Pittsburgh defensive line. I’m sure Pittsburgh has had even better defensive lines

However, good call by the fans who saw blocking issues vs FAMU

Just shows you how important the QB position is

In the Daunte years the line mismatches were ridiculous, yet he still competed with anyone

I’m a Steeler fan and obviously the complaining is the same as on here. Fire this guy and that guy. Except ironically they say all they call is quick slants and screens. They want the long ball. No matter what you do, if it doesn’t work everyone thinks the opposite will.

I'm not sure you can blame play calling on everything. When you get dominated for a half, even if you storm back and dominate in the next half, you can't surrender a blocked punt and two INTs in the redzone and except to win. We swung momentum and didn't get the kill shot. The call to go on in for 4th and 2 was a toss up but I know why he went for it. Don't forget about key penalties at the absolute worst time. If none of those things happen and the play calling was the same then I could get on board with focusing just on the playcalling.

Pitt played a great game and looking back we made adjustments but they just weren't quick enough once we dug ourselves that huge hole.

Football wins and losses isn't about one dimension of the game, but I know as fans we like to dissect it like that.

No this loss was not 100% play calling, but a big part. Many are pointing to the O line....pressure came from blitzes with no adjustments to counter. After overcoming first half mistakes go up by 10 we lost in 4Q on penalties and play calling. CJH kept running inside on critical downs after that play didn't work the entire game! AK had 2 early good runs on the edge...WTF? Maybe a slant? a screen? BT on the dive? jet sweep? Nope never happened.... To add to that DG not once kept the ball on an RPO......could have picked up a few key first downs.....is he being coached up that way or not? Lack of adjustments, penalties, and play calling on critical downs.....should anyone be fired? absolutely not, just learn from the experience, DON'T be stubborn and make game planning and play calling adjustments.......

I think everyone needs to take a deep breath and realize how close we came to winning. We didn't get blow out an we're playing with a true freshman. Mistakes were made all over and I think we will learn from that. Going into this season did you truly believe we would be undefeated? I'm glad in a way its an out of conference loss. We have a whole season ahead of us and can still make a NY6 bowl.

No this loss was not 100% play calling, but a big part. Many are pointing to the O line....pressure came from blitzes with no adjustments to counter. After overcoming first half mistakes go up by 10 we lost in 4Q on penalties and play calling. CJH kept running inside on critical downs after that play didn't work the entire game! AK had 2 early good runs on the edge...WTF? Maybe a slant? a screen? BT on the dive? jet sweep? Nope never happened.... To add to that DG not once kept the ball on an RPO......could have picked up a few key first downs.....is he being coached up that way or not? Lack of adjustments, penalties, and play calling on critical downs.....should anyone be fired? absolutely not, just learn from the experience, DON'T be stubborn and make game planning and play calling adjustments.......
We only ran it once on a critical down (the 4th and less than 2) and make that first down the majority of the time. They made a stop. It happens. If we pass it incomplete then everyone bitches about why we didn’t run since it was less than 2 yards to go. Then people want us to go for it 4th and 7 in obvious passing situation when our o-line was eaten alive in obvious passing situations the entirety of the game. Makes no sense.

The adjustments are what led to 31 unanswered. The slants, screens, comeback routes, etc. were there. They were just unsuccessful plays.

We only ran it once on a critical down (the 4th and less than 2) and make that first down the majority of the time. They made a stop. It happens. If we pass it incomplete then everyone bitches about why we didn’t run since it was less than 2 yards to go. Then people want us to go for it 4th and 7 in obvious passing situation when our o-line was eaten alive in obvious passing situations the entirety of the game. Makes no sense.

So you are saying that only 4th and 2 is a critical down??? There were several critical downs that could have sustained drives that ended up in FGs/loss on downs. The run up the middle was not effective all game......not running up the middle doesn't = passing.....some of those dive plays and the flip to Hescock were open on the edge if DG keeps the ball......The AK 1st half sweeps were successful, where did they go in the 2nd half? Apparently this all makes sense to many of us.........

I watched the replay on DVR and I witnessed Heupel sneak in as a Pitt player and blocked that punt and ran it into the end zone for them. Can't believe it was him but replay shows it. Sneaky Lil devil that coach is.

Reactions: hemightbejeremy
So you are saying that only 4th and 2 is a critical down??? There were several critical downs that could have sustained drives that ended up in FGs/loss on downs. The run up the middle was not effective all game......not running up the middle doesn't = passing.....some of those dive plays and the flip to Hescock were open on the edge if DG keeps the ball......The AK 1st half sweeps were successful, where did they go in the 2nd half? Apparently this all makes sense to many of us.........
I’m saying in the 4th quarter we only ran it 4 times total. I think youbare misremembering things.

I'm not sure you can blame play calling on everything. When you get dominated for a half, even if you storm back and dominate in the next half, you can't surrender a blocked punt and two INTs in the redzone and except to win. We swung momentum and didn't get the kill shot. The call to go on in for 4th and 2 was a toss up but I know why he went for it. Don't forget about key penalties at the absolute worst time. If none of those things happen and the play calling was the same then I could get on board with focusing just on the playcalling.

Pitt played a great game and looking back we made adjustments but they just weren't quick enough once we dug ourselves that huge hole.

Football wins and losses isn't about one dimension of the game, but I know as fans we like to dissect it like that.
This. Can't blame play calling for all of it. We would have won despite it if it weren't for several stupid mistakes.

Everyone is a critic when you lose. Everyone starts nitpicking, and that is amplified when you have won as many games as we have lately. He made one horrible call, in my opinion. Not kicking the FG in the 4th quarter (on 4th and 2).

We didn't play our best football nor did we have great coaching but Pitt had a lot to do with that as well. We did enough to win with that FG.

Everything else is stuff the staff and players need to learn from.

Let's be honest as football fans. We have had an unprecedented run of great play calling and even more importantly, execution. In Memphis the "bone" play on 4th down worked for a TD and that changed that game. Even in the LSU game, that whole game momentum seemed to swing not on play-calling but the personal foul penalty on the kid running off the field that spiked the ball (which I thought was a BS call but it is what it is).

We switched 100% of our staff in 2018 and didn't miss a beat. The one constant in all that was a Heisman-level, all-world QB called Milton. You can't place enough emphasis on that. Just go through your memory and think about great college QBs such Weurfel, Kellen Moore, Tebow, Winston, or Bortles in our case. The kind of gamesmanship they brought just isn't instantly replaced. None of the teams following them played at the same level. They were still very good in general but that extra "it" factor is hard to get back to.

After Weurfel, 10-2, 10-2, 9-4 (Only played in conference title game once and got crushed)
After Moore, 11-2, 8-5, 12-2 (1.3 Mountain West titles)
After Tebow, 8-5, 7-6, 11-2
After Winston, 10-3, 10-3, 7-6
After Bortles, 9-4, 0-12, 6-7 (.3 AAC titles)

This is just a few examples. Just remember to have some perspective with the situation, and who we are.

We are now playing a true freshman QB and there are limitations to what they can do and execute. We just to live with that, and this is a first time head coach as well. He's done an exquisite job so far. Just like the coaches talk about kids learning lessons, they have lessons to learn as well.

Looking forward to friends and UCF football Saturday night!

The biggest problem to me is how our special teams coach didn't fix the punt game. When even a layman like me can see it's taking 3 seconds to get a punt off, I suspect he has been complacent. Has he never used a stop watch to time this? I guarantee somebody on Pitts staff was out there pre-game timing our punter in warmups. This is one of the most basic things we should never have to worry about. At the time I was really disappointed but have to give some serious credit. I did notice him get one off a lot faster after the blocked one. It's clear he can do it right. I'm sure he'll be solid from here on out.

Our kicker is learning. He's got a really big leg and made very good corrections during the game. Point after guy looks solid too (different guys right?). Relatively speaking I'd say there's very little to worry about there.

Despite my complaint, I have to admit special teams is really great considering they're all new guys. Special teams coach has done a really good job with these guys. I can see them being about perfect the rest of the season.

I'm done complaining. I actually feel like I've been ungrateful. In all, the team and staff are getting excellent results.

Last edited:
Heupel got super-conservative and forgot that the UCF brand is all about continuing to ATTACK, ATTACK, ATTACK!!!
DG threw multiple TD passes out of bounds which would have changed the score. DG admitted it wasn't his best game. It was the perfect storm for us. The team and coaches will grow from this. If we're going to lose one game this season. This one is perfectly timed. Also, this helps players to keep outside noise outside.

90% or more of people (and apparently the dungeon too) believe that the playcalling wasn’t good

That usually says something unless no one on here has ever watched a football game

Yes no doubt there are multiple reasons we lost a game we should not have lost....we have more speed, we have more weapons, we have more talent but we were not prepared to play this game the way this team is capable of playing......that is undeniably on the coaches and the head coach is CJH.......spin this however you want but the bottom line is CJH was out coached......I will say this one last time, hopefully he learns from this and we become a better team for it.......

Reactions: Yaes and Ucfmikes
I’m saying in the 4th quarter we only ran it 4 times total. I think youbare misremembering things.

Not that it makes a whole lot of difference but we ran the ball 6 times in the 4Q, 7 if you count the holding penalty.....

1st & 10 at UCF 23
(14:39 - 4th) Otis Anderson run for 2 yds to the UCF 25
3rd & 2 at UCF 31
(13:57 - 4th) Otis Anderson run for no gain to the UCF 31
2nd & 5 at PITT 18
(8:54 - 4th) Greg McCrae run for 3 yds to the Pitt 15
4th & 2 at PITT 15
(8:32 - 4th) Greg McCrae run for 1 yd to the Pitt 14
1st & 10 at UCF 38
(8:00 - 4th) Greg McCrae run for 3 yds to the UCF 41
4th & 1 at UCF 47
(6:47 - 4th) Greg McCrae run for 2 yds to the UCF 49
1st & 10 at PITT 14
(5:51 - 4th) UCF Penalty, Offensive Holding (-10 Yards) to the Pitt 24

Not that it makes a whole lot of difference but we ran the ball 6 times in the 4Q, 7 if you count the holding penalty.....

1st & 10 at UCF 23
3rd & 2 at UCF 31
2nd & 5 at PITT 18
4th & 2 at PITT 15
1st & 10 at UCF 38
4th & 1 at UCF 47
1st & 10 at PITT 14
You are right I forgot the first 2 you listed there as the drive began in the third. Add the 7th run if you like (was a 5 yard pick up)

Reactions: JAFFX2

1st & 10 at UCF 23
3rd & 2 at UCF 31
2nd & 5 at PITT 18
4th & 2 at PITT 15
1st & 10 at UCF 38
4th & 1 at UCF 47
1st & 10 at PITT 14
After we went up 10 the longest run was 3 yards? Crazy

He definitely wasn’t an offensive mastermind today. Kinda of reminds me of Tim Salem. I like Heupel but he needs to expand the playbook book and play to our strengths. Can’t be stubborn
What happened to the offensive mastermind? Man I was surprised. THE GOL coaching ghost was over my shoulder :-( run, run , pass, punt...run, run , pass, punt....run, run , pass, punt...run, run , pass, punt.....run, run , pass, punt...run, run , pass, punt,....run, run , pass, punt...run, run , pass, punt

The deep threat and run up the middle off RPO will work in AAC play because our OLine can protect and attack. Against better quality P5 teams, our OL/DL are undersized and inferior. It was exposed this week and versus LSU last year. Difference between Frost and Heupel is Frost took advantage of speed, using RB’s and TE play calls. Heupel refuses to make that adjustment and continues same game plan whether its working or not. I’m nervous to see what happens when Frosts speedy recruits graduate.

The deep threat and run up the middle off RPO will work in AAC play because our OLine can protect and attack. Against better quality P5 teams, our OL/DL are undersized and inferior. It was exposed this week and versus LSU last year. Difference between Frost and Heupel is Frost took advantage of speed, using RB’s and TE play calls. Heupel refuses to make that adjustment and continues same game plan whether its working or not. I’m nervous to see what happens when Frosts speedy recruits graduate.
The biggest reason in both games is not playing with a Heisman-level QB. At minimum, a QB with a full year running the team.

The biggest reason in both games is not playing with a Heisman-level QB. At minimum, a QB with a full year running the team.

If anyone is expecting a perpetual Heisman level QB starting going forward, they are going to be very disappointed. I guess unless you are Oklahoma.

Reactions: Knight Strength
After a few days of thinking about it, we came out real slow. We battled back and took a 10 point lead. Defense gave up 45 yards on penalties on that drive and let them get the lead down to 3. We missed a TD on those two sideline throws. Maybe it wasn’t as bad as my emotions let me believe. It was the first time DG faced adversity and he did pretty good getting us back in the game. I would like to see some more outside runs or short passes to our speed guys, hopefully coach learns some. At the end of the day we lost by a point in the last minute on a trick play (nice play by the way) on the road.

Do you honestly believe that our offensive game plan best utilized our team speed???? Certainly many contributing factors but do you honestly believe that running up the middle into the teeth of a very strong D line and going deep consistently gave us a good chance of winning this game?????

How many times did you see DG roll out of the pocket to buy time? They were swallowing him up in the first quarter. No adjustments were made that I could see. Our OL was pathetic in the first quarter.

It looked like everyone was sleep walking in the first quarter. Their body language didn't look intense and sharp like they usually looked. Maybe their heads got too big. 1st quarter was as ugly as it could get.

Last edited:
How many times did you see DG roll out of the pocket to buy time? They were swallowing him up in the first quarter. No adjustments were made that I could see. Our OL was pathetic in the first quarter.
I think we pretty much have a consensus amongst most fans

Mostly everyone is saying the same thing

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT