ADVERTISEMENT

Is there really a QB controversy??

Bortles never had that kind of windup. Not. Even. Close.
Not even close. And comparing Keene to Bortles is insulting. Bortles had a strong arm and was a huge, athletic freak. This is just silly guys, what are we even talking about here? It’s like some people are watching the games and some people are watching the highlight/box scores.

Gator fans wouldn’t have wanted Emory Jones to remain starter if they squeaked by us bc most know Richardson has a much higher upside. That is a lazy analysis. similar to those that overreacted to Mack getting it done in a 1 game scenario vs Memphis
Lol lazy analysis. Some of you all are right, I should hate the quarterback that transferred out of here because he sold grown men his socks, and I should hate the quarterback that replaced him too.

But I should stan for the quarterback that hasn’t played the position in three years, nor has ever taken a snap at UCF because YouTube highlights.

I’m going to fully support Plumlee or Keene (for the third time in this thread, I again admit that Plumlee’s running ability obviously gives him a higher ceiling compared to Keene). I couldn’t care less who starts, because I’m about the program and trust the coaches. You wouldn’t think simply suggesting that a freshmen shouldn’t be dismissed because maybe they could get better is a controversial take. But keep message boarding.

Last edited by a moderator:
The press conference videos (questions & answers) really shows the level of maturity of both JRP and MK.
They are fine young men and I was very impressed with their responses to all the questions. Loved hearing the replies to the Culpepper questions and how they both really appreciate the mentorship of MMilton.
No matter who is named the “starter”, I think we will see a fair amount of the other on the field as well.
As a UCF alumnus, I am very, very proud of both.

Lol lazy analysis. Some of you all are right, I should hate the quarterback that transferred out of here because he sold grown men his socks, and I should hate the quarterback that replaced him too.

But I should stan for the quarterback that hasn’t played the position in three years, nor has ever taken a snap at UCF because YouTube highlights.

I’m going to fully support Plumlee or Keene (for the third time in this thread, I again admit that Plumlee’s running ability obviously gives him a higher ceiling compared to Keene). I couldn’t care less who starts, because I’m about the program and trust the coaches. You wouldn’t think simply suggesting that a freshmen shouldn’t be dismissed because maybe they could get better is a controversial take. But keep message boarding.

EOsFUnvU0AAp60y.jpg

I’ll be honest, at this point, I hope that Mikey Keene shoves all of your ignorant analysis right back in your faces, wins the job, and becomes the next great UCF quarterback.

I’ll be honest, at this point, I hope that Mikey Keene shoves all of your ignorant analysis right back in your faces, wins the job, and becomes the next great UCF quarterback.
He wont though. He is not DG, he is not Kz, and he certainly isnt bortles. You ould make a terrible qb scout

• Wow
Reactions: U C to the F
i don't know why any of you are worried about it. It isn't like Gus is on here reading your comments and that will be the final word. I think he will probably evaluate both, or TC, and see who can get the job done the best. If it is MK, great. If it is JRP great. Let the best QB win, just make sure to get TC some game reps.

The press conference videos (questions & answers) really shows the level of maturity of both JRP and MK.
They are fine young men and I was very impressed with their responses to all the questions. Loved hearing the replies to the Culpepper questions and how they both really appreciate the mentorship of MMilton.
No matter who is named the “starter”, I think we will see a fair amount of the other on the field as well.
As a UCF alumnus, I am very, very proud of both.
This is true. Both are great. Malzahn could build an offense around either. I really like Keene. He just has that 'it' factor. He is the future of UCF Football That bring said, I think JRP wins the job. When asked about the QB competition at the end of his interview, Keene cringed. Still, Keene is just too good to keep off the field. I think it will take both guys for UCF to win the AAC Championship.

Reactions: Drew-C-F
This is true. Both are great. Malzahn could build an offense around either. I really like Keene. He just has that 'it' factor. He is the future of UCF Football That bring said, I think JRP wins the job. When asked about the QB competition at the end of his interview, Keene cringed. Still, Keene is just too good to keep off the field. I think it will take both guys for UCF to win the AAC Championship.
So why would Plumlee win the job now, if Keene has the 'it' factor and future of UCF football? Find it harder to believe Keene is successful in beating out multiple cycles of Malzahn recruited QBs for the B12 if Malzahn doesn't think he is the best option now.

He wont though. He is not DG, he is not Kz, and he certainly isnt bortles. You ould make a terrible qb scout
I guess that means that I’m fortunate to have someone with such extensive professional experience in coaching and scouting football players to advise me.

Here’s what I can’t understand. Keene was brought in by a coach that makes a living chucking the ball as deep as he can to one-on-one coverage and Mikey Keene was selected by this coach who seems to have a pretty good eye for QB talent. How is it that Heupel so badly scouted Mikey’s arm strength?
He was an 18 year old true freshmen. And half the time he was immediately sent on a rollout to a side with 1 receiver who wasn’t open to throw a 3 yard out. I think he will improve, but Gus historically has problems developing QBs. Remember Heupel left as Keene arrived, so it’s not like he had any coaching from him or his QB coach.

Heupel also brought in Navarro who never saw the field much. Nick Saban and his staff wanted Blake Barnett. The best recruiters in the world miss every year, because it's impossible to know exactly how every 17 year old kid will progress physically and mentally.
Navarro actually looked solid last year. It was night and day between him and Gatewood in the wild knight.

Reactions: akahotsizzle
So why would Plumlee win the job now, if Keene has the 'it' factor and future of UCF football? Find it harder to believe Keene is successful in beating out multiple cycles of Malzahn recruited QBs for the B12 if Malzahn doesn't think he is the best option now.

I said Plumlee would be named the starter. I did not say he would finish the year as the starter. I did say it would take both quarterbacks to win the AAC. I expect a situation like last year to arise as some point. The starter goes down with an injury and Keene takes over and possibly never relinquishes the job.

Gator fans wouldn’t have wanted Emory Jones to remain starter if they squeaked by us bc most know Richardson has a much higher upside. That is a lazy analysis. similar to those that overreacted to Mack getting it done in a 1 game scenario vs Memphis
Did Emory transfer. He doesn't have a future at Florida

I said Plumlee would be named the starter. I did not say he would finish the year as the starter. I did say it would take both quarterbacks to win the AAC. I expect a situation like last year to arise as some point. The starter goes down with an injury and Keene takes over and possibly never relinquishes the job.
Ok, so I will rephrase. Why would Plumlee be named the starter over Keene if you feel Keene is the future and has the 'it' factor?

Some more historical stats for completion percents.

JRP threw for 60.9% in high school. MK threw for 71.3%.

MK is the better passer, JRP is the better runner and athlete. That's the issue Gus is debating.

My gut says, you pick MK if you think he throws 65-70% and JRP only throws say 60%.

But you pick JRP if you think he can throw 65% or higher.
Any sightings of a MK deep ball this fall? I like it when we at least threatened the TD everyplay. Puts alot of pressure on the defense.

Ok, so I will rephrase. Why would Plumlee be named the starter over Keene if you feel Keene is the future and has the 'it' factor?

He's 19. Keene is still growing and developing. JRP is 21 and is being hoisted onto a pedestal as the savoir of UCF Football. I think JRP will open out as starter, but I think Keene will ultimately take over. I also think Keene has already won the locker room, just not the coaching staff.

He was an 18 year old true freshmen. And half the time he was immediately sent on a rollout to a side with 1 receiver who wasn’t open to throw a 3 yard out. I think he will improve, but Gus historically has problems developing QBs. Remember Heupel left as Keene arrived, so it’s not like he had any coaching from him or his QB coach.
that is the concern with Gus …much better than Heupel at recruiting and program building /filling out the Los/roster but QB development worries me

He's 19. Keene is still growing and developing. JRP is 21 and is being hoisted onto a pedestal as the savoir of UCF Football. I think JRP will open out as starter, but I think Keene will ultimately take over. I also think Keene has already won the locker room, just not the coaching staff.

So Malzahn and staff would go with hype instead of the better QB? Also staff would not go with the QB the team chooses?

You seem to have more insight than most on Malzahn, genuinely curious on who and why he would make the choice.

Last edited:
So Malzahn and staff would go with hype instead of the better QB? Also staff would not go with the QB the team chooses?

You seem to have more insight than most on Malzahn, genuinely curious on who and why he would make the choice.
Sometimes a coaching staff cannot see the forrest for the trees. It usually takes Malzahn about three or four games to figure out what he has to do to be successful. He always seems to figure it out.

Looking even further down the road, if Chip *Lindsay* moves on to bigger and better things next year and leaves DJ Mangas to step in as OC, Keene will be looking very attractive in that QB room. The kid just strikes me as a leader who accentuates the talents of guys around him and is too good to sit on the bench. Call that a "game manager" all you want.

Last edited:
Sometimes a coaching staff cannot see the forrest for the trees. It usually takes Malzahn about three or four games to figure out what he has to do to be successful. He always seems to figure it out.
Interesting, not sure how often the team will have 3-4 games to figure stuff out and not have it cause problems to reach season goals.

Looking even further down the road, if Chip Harris moves on to bigger and better things next year and leaves DJ Mangas to step in as OC, Keene will be looking very attractive in that QB room. The kid just strikes me as a leader who accentuates the talents of guys around him and is too good to sit on the bench. Call that a "game manager" all you want.
Who is Chip Harris? And why couldn't we bring in an experienced OC?

Interesting, not sure how often the team will have 3-4 games to figure stuff out and not have it cause problems to reach season goals.
Football teams usually show the most improvement from Week 1 to Week 2. Though film study and practice, coaches eliminate plays that do not work and call plays that work more often.

When Gus played for the national championship in 2013, he lost LSU by two touchdowns in Game 3. Before Gus got Auburn in the SEC title game in 2017, he lost to Clemson in Game 2.

Sometimes it takes time to iron everything out.

Football teams usually show the most improvement from Week 1 to Week 2. Though film study and practice, coaches eliminate plays that do not work and call plays that work more often.

When Gus played for the national championship in 2013, he lost LSU by two touchdowns in Game 3. Before Gus got Auburn in the SEC title game in 2017, he lost to Clemson in Game 2.

Sometimes it takes time to iron everything out.

In the SEC west you don't even have to win your divison to end up playing in the playoffs. That's not true for all the other conferences.

The greater controversy is going to be getting all these WRs on the field :)

Javon Baker, from the few videos out there, he seems to be in all of them looking IMPRESSIVE. I forgot all about him and his transfer even, but he may be a major factor this year and that’s saying a lot with all the competition.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
If I had to compare the 2, JRP is a larger Godfrey and Keene is a smaller Bortles. Cristobal broke Godfrey by bringing multiple blitzes every single down. Hopefully JRP is a better QB than that.
Godfrey wasn't prepared for the blitzes...hopefully JRP will be. It should be obvious to Gus and Chip that we won't face a vanilla D against him or he'll dominate. So, we should expect him to be prepared in advance for blitzes on one hand and a spy on the other. Maybe every down.

Javon Baker, from the few videos out there, he seems to be in all of them looking IMPRESSIVE. I forgot all about him and his transfer even, but he may be a major factor this year and that’s saying a lot with all the competition.
He was the Bama transfer right?

He was the Bama transfer right?
Yes exactly. Weird I just felt his transfer flew under the radar, at least to me it did but he looks awesome so far with a ton of player/coach praise. I think it was a later transfer, He didn’t get on campus until June.

Kobe Hudson just put out a ton of praise in his interview for him too. Talked him up big time as a guy who was always the most talented at the HS camps while they were both coming up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT