ADVERTISEMENT

JRP Injury

So I said this yesterday in some thread, I was there with my kids. My 8 yr old son really wanted 3 fist bumps and signatures after the game…Boomer, JRP and Javon Baker’s, so went to wait to great them out to the buses. Boomer came out first, was pumped up and super gracious to everyone including my son and daughter. Signed their lanyard tag, gave them one of his wrist bands and took a pic…super awesome guy, made my sons trip, my son was pumped. Couldn’t wait to show his friends, he said they wouldn’t believe it. Javon was out shortly after but kept his head down and didn’t acknowledge anyone, understandably so he seemed really down (failed TD/int catch and/or JRP news?). JRP came out way after everyone else, was on crutches and a full leg cast/brace. He was HURT, but still raised his crutches and pumped up the family/friends/crowd greeting him. I don’t know where this concussion nonsense came from, or ankle rumors either. It’s a knee issue and best case it’s a sprain, worst case it’s a tear and he’s done. Pulling for the guy, he’s a good dude, playing great and is a great UCF athlete.

JRP came out way after everyone else, was on crutches and a full leg cast/brace. He was HURT, but still raised his crutches and pumped up the family/friends/crowd greeting him. I don’t know where this concussion nonsense came from, or ankle rumors either. It’s a knee issue and best case it’s a sprain, worst case it’s a tear and he’s done. Pulling for the guy, he’s a good dude, playing great and is a great UCF athlete.

Good post. Most of us, myself included, were speculating because of what we saw on replays and snapshots on Twitter. JRP was visibly wobble legged after being ear-holed by the crown of a helmet. JRP's movements, specifically his "unsurefootedness," suggested he was concussed. Your eyewitness revelation that we did not see clears up the confusion.

I knew it was serious by watching Gus's demeanor at the press conference. Gus was deflated, like he had just lost his best friend. If I had to guess, I would say the kid is done. But I will hope for the best.

Good post. Most of us, myself included, were speculating because of what we saw on replays and snapshots on Twitter. JRP was visibly wobble legged after being ear-holed by the crown of a helmet. JRP's movements, specifically his "unsurefootedness," suggested he was concussed. Your eyewitness revelation that we did not see clears up the confusion.

I knew it was serious by watching Gus's demeanor at the press conference. Gus was deflated, like he had just lost his best friend. If I had to guess, I would say the kid is done. But I will hope for the best.
Gus press conference did say a lot without actually saying a lot. His demeanor was ridiculously negative. He was deflated and short answering, body language was like a beaten down man. Hoping it’s a sprain, doubting it’s minor though. Let’s hope he recovers well and Timmy can step in and be the guy.

Reactions: AuburnLegacy_1
There is no “inside information.”

Gus will be announcing it today. It sounds like a knee more than a concussion

I would trust his mom’s tweets (X) more than anything else that’s speculative

There is no “inside information.”

Gus will be announcing it today. It sounds like a knee more than a concussion

I would trust his mom’s tweets (X) more than anything else that’s speculative
Of course its not concussion related.

If you're going with an RPO offense and a QB who is arguably an athlete first, QB second, you are rolling the dice every week. Yes, any player can get hurt on any play, but a running QB has a bigger target on his back than any other player or position. The opposing defense wants to take his head off. Their eyes light up as soon as he takes off. In practice, he's not doing RB drills that develop durability and teach the player how best to take punishment. It's a recipe for disaster.

We all knew this would happen, even the coaches knew it would happen. It was the focus of Hinshaw's press conference last week. Of course he was talking about what JRP needed to do to reduce the risk of injury, but on this particular play JRP was trying to win a game. And, unfortunately, he actually did try to slide on that play and might not have been injured if he had just run out of bounds or even run right into the defender.

Bottom line, we didn't think JRP would last the whole season, and he didn't, so this isn't even a case of message board second-guessing.

If you're going with an RPO offense and a QB who is arguably an athlete first, QB second, you are rolling the dice every week. Yes, any player can get hurt on any play, but a running QB has a bigger target on his back than any other player or position. The opposing defense wants to take his head off. Their eyes light up as soon as he takes off. In practice, he's not doing RB drills that develop durability and teach the player how best to take punishment. It's a recipe for disaster.

We all knew this would happen, even the coaches knew it would happen. It was the focus of Hinshaw's press conference last week. Of course he was talking about what JRP needed to do to reduce the risk of injury, but on this particular play JRP was trying to win a game. And, unfortunately, he actually did try to slide on that play and might not have been injured if he had just run out of bounds or even run right into the defender.

Bottom line, we didn't think JRP would last the whole season, and he didn't, so this isn't even a case of message board second-guessing.
not sliding and staying inbounds and causing your team to have to burn a timeout to stop the clock is not a winning play though. it would suck less if it was a winning play, he got hurt doing the wrong thing for himself and the team.

Ah my bad. This pic only has his left knee though. Can’t see anything from this angle.

Blatant targeting that wasn’t called though. Even Boise fans were confused. The most obnoxious one near me was even saying it.
Watch the YouTube someone posted in .25 speed and you will see what I'm talking about. Pay attention to the right knee.

You will see something solid (femur) starts to protrude from his white pants.

Last edited:
Watch the YouTube someone posted in .25 speed and you will see what I'm talking about. Pay attention to the right knee.

You will see it looks like something solid (femur) starts to protrude from his white pants
I'd wait till you get home to review, in case the something is NSFW*

• Haha
Reactions: PhDee

You will see it looks like something solid (femur) starts to protrude from his white pants
We can hope that it’s a video distortion that you are looking at. I hope that it’s a minor injury and a quick recovery for the young man.

He is 5’11 right? Undersized and playing that way it was the easiest pre season prediction to make.

I remember that YouTube facility tour he did where he admitted that he hated lifting legs. All
the great dual threats like Jalen Hurts build that lower body.

I wonder what is the truth on who looked better between Timmy and Tommy when both were here.

We can hope that it’s a video distortion that you are looking at. I hope that it’s a minor injury and a quick recovery for the young man.
Lobo...I forgot, do you have any affiliation to UCF? Like your second school or something? I know you are fully on Miami but you still post a lot of UCF stuff and obviously keep up with the program, and I remember some time back you weren't always anti-UCF. Is it that you just dislike some of the members here and like to troll/bother them? Just curious....

Reactions: Black_Knight07
Listening to Gus' press conference he said no surgery needed but will miss is a few weeks. Basically best case scenario thankfully.
This is kind of the issue with JRP over the seasons he's been here. He gets injured because of his play style, the backup has to come in with less practice/experience with the first team, maybe does well for a few games, and then JRP gets better and we're supposed to just go back to immediately starting him, and ruining momentum with the new QB we just had. It's annoying

This is kind of the issue with JRP over the seasons he's been here. He gets injured because of his play style, the backup has to come in with less practice/experience with the first team, maybe does well for a few games, and then JRP gets better and we're supposed to just go back to immediately starting him, and ruining momentum with the new QB we just had. It's annoying
Would be great if he 'gets better', but it seemed like last year he came back at less than 100%, when there was no need.

Reactions: Yaes
Glad his season didn't end that way. 6 weeks to the OU game after a bye, so could see him healing up until then unless it's really not a big deal at all. He has to be at or very near 100% running health to be effective. See how Timmy looks.

The reason I said blessing is not because JRP is hurt but because we would go 1-1 over next 2 games. We can do this with Timmy and Dylan getting game experience.

It's almost a worst-case scenario for the team (not for him) that he's allegedly going to miss "a few weeks". If it's 1-2 weeks, ok. But if it's 4 to 6 weeks, and the offense will have to recalibrate again once he's healthy, then the season is toast. There just aren't enough games for that to be workable.

Reactions: CBlackwellRN
Good news....JRP out "a couple of weeks" per Gus...time for a more traditional QB like Timmy to lead (and shine) our Offense.
Malhazan had a more traditional QB (Keene) and ran him out of town. Old dude only knows how to call one type of offense. He believes he will find another Cam Newton under an orange somewhere.

Yes. In the short term. However, "chronic concussions," which is what I was referencing ("not his first"), are more concerning long term than ACL/MCL/LCL.

The 190 hits JRP took last season could scare the team doctors into saying JRP has "predisposition" so to speak for CTE.

I know there is no such thing, but all they have to do is scare JRP and the family into sitting him out for baseball. And tbh it is true.

JRP wouldn't be the first career Gus has killed.

Don’t you get tired of talking so much nonsense?

Would be great if he 'gets better', but it seemed like last year he came back at less than 100%, when there was no need.
A lot of people put blame on his performance in the 2nd of the season for not being 100%, its going to be a long season if they are determined to have him on the field and he is not 100%.

Gus has a real affinity for Plumlee, its his last season. I don't imagine he wants to have Plumlee not play unless he physically can't. Is it possible he redshirts and comes back for next season?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT