ADVERTISEMENT

Men’s Basketball Transfer Portal Open Thread

Temple was 16-16 (10-8). I think we may have a different definition of difference maker.
What is your expectation though? If you are looking for a star player who lead his team and won, they are most likely going to an elite team that is reloading.

It’s almost like talented players from bad programs are capable of going elsewhere and being productive. You said something above extremely shortsighted (“transfers from schools like East Carolina and Temple are never upgrades”).

Yet Arkansas, who has made consecutive Elite 8’s, felt differently with Battle. Pretty sure Houston just signed another transfer from Temple (D. Dunn) as well. I think I trust those programs’ definition of a difference maker over yours.

LOL oh yeah, the guy starting at guard for UCONN who scored 19 points and grabbed 10 rebounds in the national title game (Tristen Newton), he played three years at East Carolina. Do you think he was a difference-maker lol? Good players can be had from anywhere. But you have to have the right system, culture, and staff in place to make it work.
We need a couple of these guys. Temple and ECU transfers won’t be huge upgrades. Just more of the same.
Literally didn’t say what you think I said. Arkansas lost their best player. They will drop a notch.

Over 1,000 players have been in the portal this offseason, and now we’ve finally found one to commit to UCF. Former Montverde Academy product, former four-star top-50 recruit in the 2019 class. Played at Florida, played at Illinois. Most recently at JU, came off the bench in limited minutes everywhere he’s been.

Long way to go still filling out this roster…

Connor Vanover in portal. 7’5” guy that is slow like Tacko. Johnny needs to get him.
And unlike Tacko, Vanover has touch shooting the ball outside of three feet from the basket. He’s a career 81% FT shooter, and he will finish his career with over 100 made 3PT field goals. Definitely more of a perimeter player on offense.

I watched him (in person) in Orlando against Duke in the tournament. He really struggled with D. Lively’s physicality and presence.

But yeah, Vanover would be incredible. Unfortunately, again I don’t think UCF has a chance here. He’s already been at two P5 schools (Cal, Arkansas). I bet he’s looking to cash in on one last decent NIL deal. Probably waiting to see which school Hunter Dickinson doesn’t go to, and then Vanover goes there (Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Maryland, Villanova).

And unlike Tacko, Vanover has touch shooting the ball outside of three feet from the basket. He’s a career 81% FT shooter, and he will finish his career with over 100 made 3PT field goals. Definitely more of a perimeter player on offense.

I watched him (in person) in Orlando against Duke in the tournament. He really struggled with D. Lively’s physicality and presence.

But yeah, Vanover would be incredible. Unfortunately, again I don’t think UCF has a chance here. He’s already been at two P5 schools (Cal, Arkansas). I bet he’s looking to cash in on one last decent NIL deal. Probably waiting to see which school Hunter Dickinson doesn’t go to, and then Vanover goes there (Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Maryland, Villanova).
His knock on D is he’s too slow to play man. Has to be a Zone D while he’s in. Dawkins is used to that because Tacko couldn’t guard in man either. But yes he’s better than Tacko offensively. Especially more than 8 feet away from basket.

His knock on D is he’s too slow to play man. Has to be a Zone D while he’s in. Dawkins is used to that because Tacko couldn’t guard in man either. But yes he’s better than Tacko offensively. Especially more than 8 feet away from basket.
Agreed 100%, and I’m good with that. Philosophically, I like teams in college that aren’t afraid to play zone. College players are more inclined to commit fouls playing man-to-man, which leads to high percentage opportunities at the line. And college players struggle a lot more from the perimeter shooting the ball than professionals do. Playing zone can help hide slower/less athletic players, so I think it can be an equalizer in a lot of ways. As long as it doesn’t hurt you too much when it comes to defensive rebounding.

As a Kansas City resident, I’ve become connected with a few people associated with the UMKC (Summit League) basketball program over the past few years. I can confirm that UCF is in contact with Shemarri Allen, a graduate transfer combo guard who entered the portal this week.

Shemarri averaged 17 pts/5 reb/2.7 ast this past season, finishing on the All-Summit League 2nd Team and All-Summit Defensive Team. He’s a good kid who is an incredible athlete. This would be a solid addition to the UCF men’s basketball program.

As a Kansas City resident, I’ve become connected with a few people associated with the UMKC (Summit League) basketball program over the past few years. I can confirm that UCF is in contact with Shemarri Allen, a graduate transfer combo guard who entered the portal this week.

Shemarri averaged 17 pts/5 reb/2.7 ast this past season, finishing on the All-Summit League 2nd Team and All-Summit Defensive Team. He’s a good kid who is an incredible athlete. This would be a solid addition to the UCF men’s basketball program.
Love it, thanks for the information.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
UCF is currently hosting USC transfer wing Tre White. White is a former four-star and top-100 player in the 2022 class. He started 30 games as a freshmen last year at USC (9.0 points, 5.1 rebounds). At this point, he’s a MUST get for UCF. We will see…
Shocker, UCF did not get White. He picked Louisville.

Over 1,000 players were in the portal. We’ve snagged a backup center on his fourth school.

Even for the very low expectations we all have for Dawkins, this is bad.

Honestly, I think this young man would be on the very top of my list if I were at UCF. 2023 guard is a Rivals four-star top-100 prospect from Ft. Lauderdale. He played on the same HS team as Taylor and Tyler Hendricks before transferring to Montverde Academy his senior year.

He’s currently visiting Dayton. We need to get in on him.

I compiled a list of transfers in the portal that UCF has either brought in to town on an official visit, have met with, or at least have reportedly been in contact with (On3 transfer ranking):

Khalif Battle (10), Temple to Arkansas
Tylor Perry (15), North Texas to Kansas State
Ryan Nembhard (21), Creighton to Gonzaga
Moussa Cisse (27), Oklahoma State to ???
Tre White (28), USC to Louisville
Steven Ashworth (31), Utah State to Creighton
Kario Oquendo (40), Georgia to Oregon
John Hugley (45), Pitt to Oklahoma
El Ellis (58), Louisville to Arkansas
Yohan Traore (67), Auburn to UC-Santa Barbara
RJ Luis (69), UMASS to St. John’s
Shemarri Allen (96), Kansas City to ???
Avery Anderson III (108), Oklahoma State to TCU
Javian McCollum (110), Seina to Oklahoma
Posh Alexander (129), St. John’s to Butler
RJ Melendez (148), Illinois to Georgia
Kebba Njie (168), Penn State to Notre Dame
Russel Tchewa (173), USF to Georgia
Eddie Lampkin (190), TCU to Colorado
Arterio Morris (NR), Texas to Kansas

Just want it all documented for the Dawkins supporters when they show up to defend the state of the program. This is a lot of misses, good grief.

Last edited:
Reactions: UCFhonors

Another potential game-changer. Averaged 20.2 points last season at Marshall. Over 1,600 career points, over 200 career 3PTM’s. Averaged 4.7 assists last year as well. Throw the bag!

Lost Hart. The best HS signee we had.
It's clear that this is becoming a one and out program and, as a fan, if you enjoyed the team this year don't expect many of them to be back next year. What a discouraging change to UCF basketball (and college basketball in general) in just a couple of years. Team and commitment mean next to nothing and, as a fan, this is very disappointing.

It's clear that this is becoming a one and out program and, as a fan, if you enjoyed the team this year don't expect many of them to be back next year. What a discouraging change to UCF basketball (and college basketball in general) in just a couple of years. Team and commitment mean next to nothing and, as a fan, this is very disappointing.
It had to be NIL for Hart. He said things changed or something.

It had to be NIL for Hart. He said things changed or something.
Could be or it's also interesting that this comes the day after a couple of guard transfers with experience announce they chose UCF. Hart's playing time this year or more could be significantly affected with veterans coming on board. We just don't know what his expectations were. No matter, he gone...

Lost Hart. The best HS signee we had.
I’m not coming at you, because I know those were Brandon’s words that he tweeted out, but I don’t know where the “Hart was the best HS signee we had” idea came from.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s not ideal to lose any incoming freshmen at this stage. But I never thought Hart would be a factor this upcoming year, I assumed he would redshirt (and then who knows after that). The level of Indiana HS competition he was playing at always left me pretty underwhelmed when I watched him play. And his offer list isn’t nearly as impressive as Emuobor’s. If any of the three were going to be in the rotation next year (or beyond), I thought it would be Emuobor. And Padegimas has a decent amount of international experience. I think he’s a project that can develop into a player down the road as well.

I’m not coming at you, because I know those were Brandon’s words that he tweeted out, but I don’t know where the “Hart was the best HS signee we had” idea came from.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s not ideal to lose any incoming freshmen at this stage. But I never thought Hart would be a factor this upcoming year, I assumed he would redshirt (and then who knows after that). The level of Indiana HS competition he was playing at always left me pretty underwhelmed when I watched him play. And his offer list isn’t nearly as impressive as Emuobor’s. If any of the three were going to be in the rotation next year (or beyond), I thought it would be Emuobor. And Padegimas has a decent amount of international experience. I think he’s a project that can develop into a player down the road as well.
I don’t know the competition he was playing in Indiana, but basketball is popular up there and he was getting accolades quite a bit. I never saw anything on the other guys. I guess where he ends up going will tell us if he’s a desired recruit.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT