ADVERTISEMENT

Men’s Basketball Transfer Portal Open Thread

Bring Back Wackadoos

Four-Star Recruit
Mar 15, 2023
Unfortunately, it looks like Coach Dawkins and his staff will once again be turning over a significant portion of their roster next season.
T. Hendricks - NBA
I. Horton - Graduation? Possibly coming back?
C.J. Kelly - Graduation
J. Young - Transfer Portal
B. Suggs - Graduation & Transfer Portal
M. Durr - Graduation
L. Thioune - Transfer Portal
T. Freeman - Graduation & Transfer Portal
P. J. Edwards - Transfer Portal

(C. J. Walker will be back after missing this season due to injury, and Tyler Hendricks redshirted last season).

That’s a lot of work UCF has to do in the portal just to put together a rotation. I’m thinking they need to bring in 4-5 transfers.

We can keep track of it all here.

Last edited:

I think Battle should be UCF’s top target. He’s ranked in the top-5 on both Rivals and 247’s 2023 transfer portal rankings. He was crystal-balled to UCF by the Knights247 guy, but I don’t fully trust that. I think Battle is still between UCF, Kansas, Louisville, Memphis, and others.

Last edited:

Oquendo is one of the best run-and-jump athletes in the country and has started 60 games for Georgia over the last two seasons. He’s also from Titusville, FL. He entered the NBA Draft & the portal, leaving multiple options open…

Brandon said we have 5 spots right now with 3 hs recruits coming. So 8 total. There are quite a few good players that are transferring. We’ll get more guys like Suggs I’m sure.

Brandon said we have 5 spots right now with 3 hs recruits coming. So 8 total. There are quite a few good players that are transferring. We’ll get more guys like Suggs I’m sure.
Suggs wasn’t bad at all. You could make a case that he should have played a lot more than he did. Career-high 47 percent FG%, led the team with a 41 percent 3PT% (small sample-size), true shooting percentage over 58 percent, one of the team’s best defenders. But his assist percentage and usage rate dropped significantly in UCF’s offense compared to his three-years at East Carolina.

I’m not sure the coaching staff used Suggs effectively, and now he’s moved on. Oh well…

Last edited:
Suggs wasn’t bad at all. You could make a case that he should have played a lot more than he did. Career-high 47 percent FG%, led the team with a 41 percent 3PT% (small sample-size), true shooting percentage over 58 percent, one of the team’s best defenders. But his assist percentage and usage rate dropped significantly in UCF’s offense compared to his three-years at East Carolina.

I’m not sure the coaching staff used Suggs effectively, and now he’s moved on. Oh well…
It definitely could be our game plan and coaching, but he looked undersized and not fluid when he was out there. I was hoping he’d be good. Young, Horton and Kelly looked good at times. Suggs never really did.

Actually, I think Ithiel Horton is coming back to UCF for a sixth-year (in college) the more I look into it. But still, UCF needs at least 3-4 more transfers to add to their rotation.
I really like Horton”s game, when that dude is on, he can shoot the lights out. He has a few things the coaches can address with him, but him coming back is really helpful To the team. Iam also anxious to see Tyler’s game.

I really like Horton”s game, when that dude is on, he can shoot the lights out. He has a few things the coaches can address with him, but him coming back is really helpful To the team. Iam also anxious to see Tyler’s game.
Yes, when he is on, he's on. But sometimes he'll come down the court with 19 seconds on the shot clock and just fire it from the logo....miss. Not smart.

Reactions: connerito
UCF mentioned in every player who hits the portal as a school who has contacted. We seem like we are the most desperate MBB team out there.

Reactions: FoxKnight
UCF mentioned in every player who hits the portal as a school who has contacted. We seem like we are the most desperate MBB team out there.
Not really. There are nearly 900 D1 players in the portal, and I’ve seen UCF (at least publicly on Twitter) mentioned as a school that has reached out to only like five or six players.

They have five scholarships to fill, they should be “desperate” in your words. If you ask me, they could afford to be a little more desperate.

Last edited:
Reactions: UCFhonors
Zero? Big 12?
Yes, zero (in my opinion). For me, I think Dickinson goes where he can maximize NIL money for one more year at the collegiate-level.

His window has likely closed to go in the first round of the NBA Draft (hence why he’s coming back to college for a fourth-year). That doesn’t mean he can’t play professionally (I think he will). But it’s more likely now that he goes second round, UDFA, or via the G-League.

So for now, where can he get what he can get through NIL($)? That place is not UCF, not even close. He’s played in the BIG10, he’s played on the biggest stages. It’s “show me the money” time for Dickinson. I would put guys like Caleb Love (UNC), LJ Cryer (Baylor), and even Max Abmas (Oral Roberts) in a similar category.

Last edited:
Couple new pieces of information I saw this week…

-Averaged 17.7 last year on a pretty poor Louisville team, but can obviously score.

-Former 5-star center, previously played at Auburn.

-Easily my favorite prospect that I’ve seen UCF linked to. Would immediately be the best player in the program. One of the best shooters in the country, especially off the dribble. Over 40% from beyond the arc each of the last theee seasons at Utah State, first-team All-MWC this past season. I think he will end up at BYU, but man he would be a prize.

We need a couple of these guys. Temple and ECU transfers won’t be huge upgrades. Just more of the same.

We need a couple of these guys. Temple and ECU transfers won’t be huge upgrades. Just more of the same.
Can’t say I agree with you there. Khalif Battle would be a HUGE boost to the program. He was a top-100 recruit in his class, four-star prospect (ESPN, Rivals). No idea why he was crystal-balled to us so early in the process (other than Knights247 having no idea what’s going on), he’s being recruited by some of the top programs in the country (Arkansas, Kansas).

I would actually be shocked if Battle picked UCF over Arkansas.

Last edited:
Reactions: UCFhonors
Can’t say I agree with you there. Khalif Battle would be a HUGE boost to the program. He was a top-100 recruit in his class, four-star prospect (ESPN, Rivals). No idea why he was crystal-balled to us so early in the process (other than Knights247 having no idea what’s going on), he’s being recruited by some of the top programs in the country (Arkansas, Kansas).

People said the same about Suggs. He did absolutely nothing. Temple didn’t win games with him. We wouldn’t either. More of the same.

Most people think Taylor Hendricks didn't do enough and he is a potential lottery pick. More of a theme of the team/program than players.
Getting guys from schools that don’t make tourney is just expecting the same results. There are guys from UNC, Louisville, Oregon, Michigan etc. But we get guys that weren’t much better than us and expect good results. At some point you have to get a HS class of 5 or 6 instead of 2 or 3. Then play guys. We’ll probably get Reynolds back and he is just a warm body.

People said the same about Suggs. He did absolutely nothing. Temple didn’t win games with him. We wouldn’t either. More of the same.
Just stop, nobody said anything like that. I have no idea what you’re talking about. Brandon Suggs was never a four-star/top-100 recruit out of HS, he was never ranked high on most top national/industry transfer portal rankings. He has nothing to do with K. Battle.

And like I’ve said before, it’s not accurate to say Suggs “did absolutely nothing” at UCF. He was one of UCF’s most efficient players, as well as one of their top defensive players. The staff misused him and/or didn’t utilize him enough. More of the Young/Freeman/Edwards minutes should’ve absolutely gone his way.

Regardless, Battle is a much better player. I’m not sure why you would compare them? It’s lazy…

Not really. There are nearly 900 D1 players in the portal, and I’ve seen UCF (at least publicly on Twitter) mentioned as a school that has reached out to only like five or six players.

They have five scholarships to fill, they should be “desperate” in your words. If you ask me, they could afford to be a little more desperate.

Thanks for bringing the UCFacts

#UCFacts

Things should be picking up soon in the portal. Realistically, UCF needs:

-a lead guard to replace Young (a veteran upgrade at point guard who can spell Johnson, and potentially even push him for playing time). In a new conference, I think another ball-handler who can create for himself and for others is priority #1

-two bigs to replace Hendricks and Durr. CJ Walker will be back, and (hopefully) Sylla takes a step in his development, but you still need to replace a ton of rebounding, interior defense, and size.

-One go-to scoring wing that can replace Kelly’s production, and probably another veteran wing to replace Suggs/Freeman/Edwards. Three freshmen wings will be coming on board as well, but I wouldn’t be surprised if a couple of them redshirt.

Bunch of talent in the portal, it’s time to close.

stick-in-the-mud-001.png
Stick in mud coach

Shocker (sarcasm), UCF’s “top target” chose Arkansas. And I was told on this thread that transfers from schools like Temple aren’t difference makers.

Meanwhile, our coach is posting videos on Twitter begging for donations so we can attract top transfers. Oof

Five scholarships to fill, and not a sniff of anyone wanting to transfer to UCF. Can’t wait for a new HC.

Shocker (sarcasm), UCF’s “top target” chose Arkansas. And I was told on this thread that transfers from schools like Temple aren’t difference makers.

Meanwhile, our coach is posting videos on Twitter begging for donations so we can attract top transfers. Oof

Five scholarships to fill, and not a sniff of anyone wanting to transfer to UCF. Can’t wait for a new HC.
What does Dawkins have to sell, a bunch of mediocre performances and going into the toughest conference? It's not unknown that the team will likely be a doormat next year.

Downside of not firing a coach, most are starting to see he is lame duck coach and going to play for him now is not an ideal situation.

What does Dawkins have to sell, a bunch of mediocre performances and going into the toughest conference? It's not unknown that the team will likely be a doormat next year.

Downside of not firing a coach, most are starting to see he is lame duck coach and going to play for him now is not an ideal situation.
I get a lot of that. But if you’re an elite mid-major to low-major player with great numbers/experience, I could see the opportunity there in Orlando. Best conference in the country, TONS of shots/usage available, chance to play on TV against some future NBA-level talent. No one is coming here from other P5 programs, nor are they coming here for NIL($). But I could imagine some selling points to someone looking for usage/role/shots against better competition to raise the pro profile. If I was in that kind of situation, going to a B12 basement program would make little difference.

Temple was 16-16 (10-8). I think we may have a different definition of difference maker.
It’s almost like talented players from bad programs are capable of going elsewhere and being productive. You said something above extremely shortsighted (“transfers from schools like East Carolina and Temple are never upgrades”).

Yet Arkansas, who has made consecutive Elite 8’s, felt differently with Battle. Pretty sure Houston just signed another transfer from Temple (D. Dunn) as well. I think I trust those programs’ definition of a difference maker over yours.

LOL oh yeah, the guy starting at guard for UCONN who scored 19 points and grabbed 10 rebounds in the national title game (Tristen Newton), he played three years at East Carolina. Do you think he was a difference-maker lol? Good players can be had from anywhere. But you have to have the right system, culture, and staff in place to make it work.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT