ADVERTISEMENT

Mikey Keene should be carried out on players' shoulders

Shouldn't defense get some of the blame along with the offensive line or is it all on Mikey?
Absolutely, the D played like swiss cheese for most of the game. I thought the OL played fine. 3 USF turnovers in the first half helped us build a big lead. But the mo changed when the O starting fumbling in the 2nd half and that began with Mikey. JRP got the blame (and deserved it) when he turned it over against ECU and let them get the mo. The same holds true here for Mikey. However, it was a great final drive (special thanks to Baker and Holler) and Mikey deserves credit for holding the big lead he was given and getting the W. But let's remember, we were ahead 31-7 in this game! 31-7 and had to come from behind to win! It was an important win and thankfully prevented an epic loss (the announcers said that the comeback would have been the biggest all year in college football).

Last edited:
Absolutely, the D played like swiss cheese for most of the game. I thought the OL played fine. 3 USF turnovers in the first half helped us build a big lead. But the mo changed when the O starting fumbling in the 2nd half and that began with Mikey. JRP got the blame (and deserved it) when he turned it over against ECU and let them get the mo. The same holds true here for Mikey. However, it was a great final drive (special thanks to Baker and Holler) and Mikey deserves credit for holding the big lead he was given and getting the W. But let's remember, we were ahead 31-7 in this game! 31-7 and had to come from behind to win! It was an important win and thankfully prevented an epic loss (the announcers said that the comeback would have been the biggest all year in college football).
We were ahead 28-0 in this game. People got on JRP vs ECU because he lacked ball security on his runs. And he also personally turned it over 4 times. MK did take responsibility for the one fumble, but it was a missed exchange with the RB. It was a total team effort that let the cows back in the game. JRP played very well and would have liked to have seen him stay healthy enough to continue, but MK also gives us a good opportunity to win. He doesn’t play defense and having JRP in in the second half wasn’t likely to impact our inability to stop the cows defensively.

Reactions: Knight59
We lost a 3 TD lead with him at QB in the second half and if not for spectacular catches by Baker and Holler we lose....so where the hell are you coming from?
I’m not positive but I don’t think I saw him playing defense. Seriously, our D was porous as hell and let USF walk down the field over and over in the second half. Their QB and RB both had over 100 yds rushing. That’s not on Keene. Neither were 2 of the 3 fumbles.

Reactions: Yaes
I did not feel secure at all with anything other than a TD on that drive. The momentum was not on our side, and although I love Boomer and he is practically perfect this season I did not want him to go cold in a do-or-die situation. The way this game went in the second half it could have been a blocked FG or any other freak situation- screw that.

I was thinking the same thing on that drive. I could have totally seen Boomer’s kick hit the left upright, ricochet over to the right upright and then land in the end zone.
Game over cows win and I would have been like “Yup that is a fitting ending”.

P.s. Very glad it never came to this ⚔️⚔️

Keene elevates our overall passing game. The WR's work harder and run better routes with Keene under center.

With JRP, the WR's seem somewhat surprised that a pass is coming there way, causing a lot of drops.

On JRP's 2nd TD run last night, he had an open WR in the end zone who was calling for the ball, but JRP decided to run it himself. Our WR's lose some incentive with JRP in.

Please, the blind loyalty to Keene needs to stop. He has filled in well for us the last 2 years, but let’s be able to be critical when he does bad…like most of last year and the 2nd half of this game against the 130th (worst) ranked defense in all of FBS.
Fine but let’s also look at the blind loyalty to JRP. Can we be critical of his bad plays as well and realize he’s not the second coming of MM? JRP didn’t exactly have a Heisman-like game against ECU, did he? Both have contributed to our success and both have played poorly at times. The fact is we wouldn’t be going to the CCG if it weren’t for the play of BOTH of them. How about we all agree to celebrate the positives both have brought that have led us to the conference championship game?

If yous give credit for the two great catches, yous gotta give responsibility to the two fumbles.
Responsibility to who? Baker and Holler made great catches on throws from Keene. There were 3 fumbles. One fumble was on a Keene-Harvey exchange. One fumble was O’Keefe not securing the ball. One fumble was Harvey not securing the ball. Those are the players involved and they deserve responsibility for those plays.

Reactions: Knight59
We were ahead 28-0 in this game. People got on JRP vs ECU because he lacked ball security on his runs. And he also personally turned it over 4 times. MK did take responsibility for the one fumble, but it was a missed exchange with the RB. It was a total team effort that let the cows back in the game. JRP played very well and would have liked to have seen him stay healthy enough to continue, but MK also gives us a good opportunity to win. He doesn’t play defense and having JRP in in the second half wasn’t likely to impact our inability to stop the cows defensively.
Mikey led us on the final drive and that's great. He certainly has ice water in his veins. But turning the ball over and over and over in the 2nd half almost cost us the game and he was part of that problem. So let's congratulate him on the W (special thanks to Baker and Holler) but question him on the second half performance of our O just as we did the week before on our second half performance against Navy. Thankfully we won one of the two and will play in the championship game. But we should have won both and played the championship game at home. And that's a fact.

Mikey led us on the final drive and that's great. He certainly has ice water in his veins. But turning the ball over and over and over in the 2nd half almost cost us the game and he was part of that problem. So let's congratulate him on the W (special thanks to Baker and Holler) but question him on the second half performance of our O just as we did the week before on our second half performance against Navy. Thankfully we won one of the two and will play in the championship game. But we should have won both and played the championship game at home. And that's a fact.
The defense almost cost us the game. Keene didn’t “turn the ball over and over and over”. He was partly responsible for one of the fumbles. Sounds like a hater. In the Navy game both player played a half and both played poorly. We trailed by 8 at halftime. Which is why JRP was benched to try and get a spark.

The defense almost cost us the game. Keene didn’t “turn the ball over and over and over”. He was partly responsible for one of the fumbles. Sounds like a hater. In the Navy game both player played a half and both played poorly. We trailed by 8 at halftime. Which is why JRP was benched to try and get a spark.
A hater...no just being realistic. Like I wrote, we turned it over, it cost us the mo (that JRP built) and Mikey was part of that problem (just as he was the week before against Navy). If you don't recognize that then you're a Mikey nut hugger. I also wrote that Mikey deserves a lot of credit for that final drive (along with Baker and Holler). So, he came through in the clutch and that's Mikey's redeeming value in this game. Let's be happy we won but concerned in how we won....

Reactions: U C to the F
A hater...no just being realistic. Like I wrote, we turned it over, it cost us the mo (that JRP built) and Mikey was part of that problem (just as he was the week before against Navy). If you don't recognize that then you're a Mikey nut hugger. I also wrote that Mikey deserves a lot of credit for that final drive (along with Baker and Holler). So, he came through in the clutch and that's Mikey's redeeming value in this game. Let's be happy we won but concerned in how we won....
squirrel nut GIF by EnBW

Who me?

• Haha
Realistically we aren’t in the CCG without performances by both quarterbacks. Realistically MK played much better against Cincy. Realistically both QBs played an ineffective half against Navy. Realistically it doesn’t matter which QB is under center if we are turning the ball over constantly (see ECU and usf). Both QBs have redeeming qualities and both have flaws. I hope JRP and MK are both available to play next week. But more importantly the defense needs to play much better.

Realistically we aren’t in the CCG without performances by both quarterbacks. Realistically MK played much better against Cincy. Realistically both QBs played an ineffective half against Navy. Realistically it doesn’t matter which QB is under center if we are turning the ball over constantly (see ECU and usf). Both QBs have redeeming qualities and both have flaws. I hope JRP and MK are both available to play next week. But more importantly the defense needs to play much better.
Well said.

Reactions: Oldest Man
I don't get this thinking. Sure it's a true statement, but the ensuing kickoff went 15 yards and USF could have then won with a FG of their own.
If they only needed a field goal the gameplan on the kickoff would have been different.

I was thinking the same thing on that drive. I could have totally seen Boomer’s kick hit the left upright, ricochet over to the right upright and then land in the end zone.
Game over cows win and I would have been like “Yup that is a fitting ending”.

P.s. Very glad it never came to this ⚔️⚔️
lol… This is how we all felt.

Reactions: knightraveler
Should have been kicked out if bounds. No squib, half squib or any other dumb kick. Gus makes dumb decisions, so saying he wouldn’t have done it is not accurate. It should have been a hand off and run clock down. It worked out so doesn’t matter.

Reactions: Guinness_Knight
I did not feel secure at all with anything other than a TD on that drive. The momentum was not on our side, and although I love Boomer and he is practically perfect this season I did not want him to go cold in a do-or-die situation. The way this game went in the second half it could have been a blocked FG or any other freak situation- screw that.
In football you should never feel secure. Once you let up and lose the initiative it could carry into the next game. Play hard until :00

"Mikey Keene should be carried out on players' shoulders"

He should for this alone:

Brandon: "You perfectly fine to play your 5th game and maybe potentially burn your redshirt?"

Keene: *NO HESITATION* "Yea let's go win a championship"

2:08
Well spoken and such a likable young man. Says all the right things and he’s mature way beyond his years. Not the most talented QB but man, he‘s certainly come through for us on some really big games. Second half of this years Navy game was a huge disappointment but all in all, you gotta love this guy.
And for what it’s worth, I believe JRP is a high quality young man as well. UCF should be very proud of their representation regardless of the outcomes on the field of play. Sort of the opposite of DG in my opinion.

Winner winner , chicken dinner . In the end we won and Keene was clutch . He didn't fold .
Plumlee was having a great game until he hurt his hamstring. I'd like to think we would have won with him if he didn't get injured but we will never know. All we know is Keene again managed the game and did what was necessary to win with the help of his teammates that seem to have much confidence in him. It's good to have two starting QB's. The defense was the reason we almost lost. Tulane must be licking their chops this time around. We have to play with more discipline to beat Tulane. Turnovers and penalties just kill us.

This is a challenge to coach Malzahn, do better!. You can't in any way say that the performance against a 1-10 USF was anything but pathetic. Yes, Mikey won the game (hint, you might just want to start him this Saturday) but the overall performance was awful. Have yoy lost count the no. of tackles you guys missed.

Plumlee was having a great game until he hurt his hamstring. I'd like to think we would have won with him if he didn't get injured but we will never know. All we know is Keene again managed the game and did what was necessary to win with the help of his teammates that seem to have much confidence in him. It's good to have two starting QB's. The defense was the reason we almost lost. Tulane must be licking their chops this time around. We have to play with more discipline to beat Tulane. Turnovers and penalties just kill us.
They both played very well. Which was to be expected against the worst defense in the country.

For PFF ratings plumlee scored 80.7 and MK scored 80.0. For reference 80 is considered a great performance.

I think we win with a healthy plumlee in the second half. But given he was going to be limited running the ball I think Gus made the right decision in the second half.

They did the right thing pulling him, he didn’t look very injured standing on the sidelines, helmet on, walking around freely without a limp. Pulling him early prevents further damage.

Tulane should be a 7+ point favorite though.

They did the right thing pulling him, he didn’t look very injured standing on the sidelines, helmet on, walking around freely without a limp. Pulling him early prevents further damage.

Tulane should be a 7+ point favorite though.
He ran a 2 pt conversion after being pulled. Story seems odd. Also looked like ankle on replay.

Should have been kicked out if bounds. No squib, half squib or any other dumb kick. Gus makes dumb decisions, so saying he wouldn’t have done it is not accurate. It should have been a hand off and run clock down. It worked out so doesn’t matter.
Kick it out of bounds takes no time off the clock. A well executed squib is the right call. Eats time, avoids Battie who had over 100 yard of kickoff returns. Remember Mike Hughes? That was totally going through my mind at the time.

Squib kick was not a dumb call. Just poorly executed

If kicked correctly, you still bleed 2-3 seconds off the clock since it runs after the first contact with the ground, right?
No. A player can down it immediately which is what happened. Clock starts when a player touches it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT