ADVERTISEMENT

Milton is...

Defense will still be a question mark as UCF will have 7 new starters out of the back 8, where mostly 5th year players graduated.

While the new starters could be talented, it's hard to replace experience.

The 3 tough game stretch in Sept (high flying Memphis, then GA Tech Option and then at Maryland) will expose how good this new UCF D is or isn't.
In 2016, we had 8 new starters on D...all 4 backers, 3 DBs and one Olineman (Hill). That D was awesome due to the talent level of the newcomers. In 2017, the talent level of the newcomers is again awesome. Titus Davis will be a beast and so will Nate Evans. The new DBs are even better in pass coverage than those that they replaced and are just as fast. The DL returns with even more experience and more depth.

This kid was always a stretch to keep, he is starting to get serious heat from the big boys. Could end up a 4 star if he has a decent year. Notre Dame and Louisville are really pushing for him now, not long before the floridas and miamis come knocking.
Miami just lost a good DB.

In 2016, we had 8 new starters on D...all 4 backers, 3 DBs and one Olineman (Hill). That D was awesome due to the talent level of the newcomers. In 2017, the talent level of the newcomers is again awesome. Titus Davis will be a beast and so will Nate Evans. The new DBs are even better in pass coverage than those that they replaced and are just as fast. The DL returns with even more experience and more depth.
Trust in Chinander.

One big difference you didn't mention. Six of those DBs and LBs were seniors with lots of experience.

Reactions: Knight_Light
One big difference you didn't mention. Six of those DBs and LBs were seniors with lots of experience.

That's what I was getting at (many were experienced 4th and 5th year players. One was a 2 year starter in the Big 12).

Adding so many new starters to any unit is never easy, but the more experienced they are (Seniors/Redshirt Seniors) might increase your odds in getting success.

That's what I was getting at (many were experienced 4th and 5th year players. One was a 2 year starter in the Big 12).

Adding so many new starters to any unit is never easy, but the more experienced they are (Seniors/Redshirt Seniors) might increase your odds in getting success.

All of them were adapting to a brand new defense, though. Hopefully the guys stepping in can hit the ground running after spending most of last season getting reps in practice under the same defense they will execute this year. We're strongest at the line of scrimmage which is ideal, IMO.

It's my fault for opening a comparison to last year's personnel. But, I don't want to go any further in comparing what we have this year on D to last year in terms of specific players... Mainly because I am reluctant to say anything that is not positive about our graduating seniors who, I feel, represented UCF very well both on and off the field.

We put 4 DB's into NFL camps from one graduating class. That is a great accomplishment. With that said, it does however create a unique (and huge) challenge in that we graduated all four starting DB's in the same year. Not preferable, but that's where we are. While trying to avoid any comparisons to last year's personnel in any way, here is my quick look at who we may be seeing on Saturdays on D going forward (Note: in most cases, incoming Freshman are not discussed due to difficulty to project):

D Line:
Projected Starters: Guerad, Pittman & Hill.
Strong Rotational: Lowry, Wooten, Connors, Hayes & Cochran;

We didn't lose anyone and this was a solid group. The only issue last year was depth. The unit struggled when Pittman and Hill were out or hobbled. Hopefully, the strength of the 2's in this unit has improved with another year of experience. Also, the addition of Zio and Cholewa could add some helpful depth and pass rushing ability depending on their initial development.

LB's:
Projected Starters: Davis, Evans, Jasinski & Griffin
Strong Rotational: Bacote, Mitchell, Lezzer, Burkett,

The LB starters all had significant experience last year on the field with Griffin, of course, being the lone returning starter. All 4 played very well last year. Jasinski has experience over the past two seasons as he played in his Freshman year and will be a Junior in 2017-18. Davis and Evans project to be high impact backers. We already know about Griffin's ability to disrupt off the edge. Davis has a high propensity to do the same off the other edge.

DB's:
Projected/Possible Starters:
CB- between Moore, Grant & Causey, Clarke (after 6 game suspension)

Safety- between Neal, Burgess-Becker, Lowry
Strong rotational at safety would include Brandon Scott

Of the DB's, this is where we have the least proven experience. However, we do have significant talent within every name listed in this group. All have shown loads of talent on the practice field at this level and several are highly rated (Causey, Lowry and BBecker).

Neal, Causey and Lowry have significant experience on the field at UCF. However, some would say that Lowry and Causey have yet to live up to their high ratings. Maybe more reps and PT will improve their consistency.

It is interesting that several DB's who are less experienced, have seemed to create even more of a positive stir among coaches and teammates (i.e. Moore, Grant and Burgess-Becker).

In any event, among DB's it seems we have the talent even where we lack experience. Of course, this is what happens when you send 4 guys to the pros... Yes, we will have some growing pains in the secondary. But I think the coverage skills are very good and the end result will ultimately be a very effective group that will have multiple years to stay together.

It's my fault for opening a comparison to last year's personnel. But, I don't want to go any further in comparing what we have this year on D to last year in terms of specific players... Mainly because I am reluctant to say anything that is not positive about our graduating seniors who, I feel, represented UCF very well both on and off the field.

We put 4 DB's into NFL camps from one graduating class. That is a great accomplishment. With that said, it does however create a unique (and huge) challenge in that we graduated all four starting DB's in the same year. Not preferable, but that's where we are. While trying to avoid any comparisons to last year's personnel in any way, here is my quick look at who we may be seeing on Saturdays on D going forward (Note: in most cases, incoming Freshman are not discussed due to difficulty to project):

D Line:
Projected Starters: Guerad, Pittman & Hill.
Strong Rotational: Lowry, Wooten, Connors, Hayes & Cochran;

We didn't lose anyone and this was a solid group. The only issue last year was depth. The unit struggled when Pittman and Hill were out or hobbled. Hopefully, the strength of the 2's in this unit has improved with another year of experience. Also, the addition of Zio and Cholewa could add some helpful depth and pass rushing ability depending on their initial development.

LB's:
Projected Starters: Davis, Evans, Jasinski & Griffin
Strong Rotational: Bacote, Mitchell, Lezzer, Burkett,

The LB starters all had significant experience last year on the field with Griffin, of course, being the lone returning starter. All 4 played very well last year. Jasinski has experience over the past two seasons as he played in his Freshman year and will be a Junior in 2017-18. Davis and Evans project to be high impact backers. We already know about Griffin's ability to disrupt off the edge. Davis has a high propensity to do the same off the other edge.

DB's:
Projected/Possible Starters:
CB- between Moore, Grant & Causey, Clarke (after 6 game suspension)

Safety- between Neal, Burgess-Becker, Lowry
Strong rotational at safety would include Brandon Scott

Of the DB's, this is where we have the least proven experience. However, we do have significant talent within every name listed in this group. All have shown loads of talent on the practice field at this level and several are highly rated (Causey, Lowry and BBecker).

Neal, Causey and Lowry have significant experience on the field at UCF. However, some would say that Lowry and Causey have yet to live up to their high ratings. Maybe more reps and PT will improve their consistency.

It is interesting that several DB's who are less experienced, have seemed to create even more of a positive stir among coaches and teammates (i.e. Moore, Grant and Burgess-Becker).

In any event, among DB's it seems we have the talent even where we lack experience. Of course, this is what happens when you send 4 guys to the pros... Yes, we will have some growing pains in the secondary. But I think the coverage skills are very good and the end result will ultimately be a very effective group that will have multiple years to stay together.

Too add to that, a few freshman should make a quick impact.

At LB we have Luyanda and Jones who can fill at OLB and ILB respectively. Both could very well come in and make an instant impact in the rotation.
Kalia davis could also make some noise in there at ILB.

At CB/S we have Collier and Zamari Maxwell, both very highly recruited, VERY athletic corners.

DL we have 2 6'7 ends coming in with Zio and Cholewa, i think Zio is more likely to play earlier on but both are pretty raw.
Stephon Zayas is good but needs a year to put on weight.

Why commit?
Because kids these days have the attention span of a fly. They are attracted to the best option, if another comes along, they snatch it, maybe who knows what it couldve been.

Also if you commit to a decent school early, you at least have a placeholder in case A. Nobody else offers or B. Someone else great offers and you can always jump ship.

This is the nature of recruiting in 2017. Unfortunately this is how it will be for most schools. A commitment is nothing more than a placeholder until someone comes along with something sweeter.
And I think these "signing" type commitments hold less value each year (as time goes on).....that's how it is these days

When a recruit says he is "pretty solid" that means he is not at all. I don't blame kids for keeping their options open. If Notre Dame comes knocking I would have to second guess my commitment too. Not just a great football program but a great school.

Reactions: MckenzieMilton10
I could see it if we told him Commit now or offer is pulled. But just a blanket offer. No need to take it yet.

The LB was weird. He committed a few days ago. I always question the decision making skills of kids that commit and de-commit within a week. Crim I understand, he committed really early in the cycle.

Reactions: Miltonian
The LB was weird. He committed a few days ago. I always question the decision making skills of kids that commit and de-commit within a week. Crim I understand, he committed really early in the cycle.
Based upon the timing of his decommitment, it seems it may have been related to the serious interest we have been getting lately from Gilyard, another inside LB for the '18 class. I think there may have been a concern about the ability to compete since Gilyard is rated about 5 pts higher and we already have a crowded list of young LB's.

I don't think this guy was leaving us to seek offers to more "popular" schools. I think he may actually be considering whether he should step down a level if he wants to play.

Dinovo is the ultimate scout team guy but if you put him under the lights in a real game I can guarantee that the FIU game will turn into a 4th quarter game.
100%. His only value is serving as a look for our first team defense when we prepare to play pro style offenses in practice

Hahaha. No..., it was a party to celebrate him being named the starter.

Props to Dinovo. QBs get hot women.

There is no doubt, if he can produce like in that video, he'll be in the mix. And the haters can go suck it. I think he looks REAL good. We got two good kids at QB , I'm feeling good about this season.

Reactions: Mikesi
There is no doubt, if he can produce like in that video, he'll be in the mix. And the haters can go suck it. I think he looks REAL good. We got two good kids at QB , I'm feeling good about this season.
He's got game with the ladies at least. Hahaha

Seriously.., let's look at the facts.

1) Dinovo was a very good H.S. QB in Pinellas county who was rated fairly high by Rivals.com (5.5). He was very mobile and played well vs. Dr. Philips H.S. He was very productive as a senior

2). He was a complete disaster in Ireland. I was there. He was not ready and he was too young and scared. GOL nearly ruined him, his confidence most likely, and the fans perception of him for years. He simply wasn't ready and was thrown to the wolves.

3). He has placed decent (not great) in spring games. He has shown glimpses of promise, but a very average arm and questionable mechanics

4) So.., after 4 years of dedication, being a great teammate, hard work, and a very positive attitude, is he to be written off 100%????

The main thing against him is that he's a senior. Milton is the stater.

I would have to say that there is no way that anyone can predict with great accuracy that he's the EXACT same player that he was vs. Penn State in 2014. To say that is to say that this QB, with a once promising career, has had a zero percent chance of improving markedly in 4 YEARS. I'm not giving up on him yet.

Reactions: Boston.Knight
He's got game with the ladies at least. Hahaha

Seriously.., let's look at the facts.

2). He was a complete disaster in Ireland. I was there. He was not ready and he was too young and scared. GOL nearly ruined him, his confidence most likely, and the fans perception of him for years. He simply wasn't ready and was thrown to the wolves.

GOL ruined him by playing a sophomore who showed the best play in practice? How do you figure that one?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT