Do you approve of the Gus hire?

• Yes

Votes: 143 85.6%
  • No

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Undecided

Votes: 21 12.6%

• Total voters
Also great Hire Recruiting will get better. He is not bringing Randy Shannon back. From what I understood at press conference. He basically said Randy was a great coach but I think he will bring his own guy. Just Speculation. Look for him to bring in some of his staff from Auburn. Also he will add new dimensions to offense.He basically said he will build offense to suit our Quarterback..

7 mil through 2021
5 mil through 2022
3 mil through 2023
2 mil through 2024
500k if before the 2025 season but after 2024.

After 2 years, he owes $3 Million. That's what Frost paid after two years. Heupel's buyout was significantly higher (maybe double or more). Seems like Gus got favorable terms, and certainly not a number that would scare any P5 team.

If Fired 90% of contract before end of 2021, 75% remaining for after

• $8,280,000 if terminated before December 31, 2021 (not including earning $2.3 for the year)
  • $5,175,000 After 2022 season
  • $3,450,000 After 2023 season
  • $1,725,000 After 2024 season

As said earlier, this guy knows how to collect money.

Theoretically Gus could mail it in this year and get fired, get his $21 Million from Auburn and get $10+ million from UCF. That's Taggart level.

Last edited:
Reactions: Knight Strength
Malzahn might not feel like a 'splashy' hire, but he's a solid choice.

With any hire, there's a chance that the wrong guy will destroy all the momentum the program has experienced over the past five years. I don't see that happening under Gus. I suspect he'll keep the program relevant and could build a top ten-level team.

I liked what Gus said today in his press conference. "UCF is getting the best Gus now, I have had 12 weeks to reflect and evaluate and I'm excited". I think you guys made a home run hire.

You mean during the Covid year?
In December after watching how Heupel had run the team for a year his way after giving the team 1 season doing some of Frosty's stuff. I didn't like his lack of balance and just was very frustrated with a lack of good offense and good defense. Granted Frost's defense had tackling issues.

I guess I'm a dreamer but I wanted the GOL defense with a hyped up 8-cylinder hemi engine type offense. This is actually what Gus spoke about in his interview. Good defense, run at the people and throw the ball well down the field. With Heupel you got one out of these three.

For what it’s worth, quote from CBSSports: “it's the best Group of Five hire basically since we started calling it the Group of Five about 10 years ago.”

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...aching-carousel-gus-malzahn-to-ucf-gets-an-a/

I recall pundits saying Strong to USF was brilliant move.

It's a former P5 coach at a major program, it's like when P5 transfer to a G5 school and when ever they make a play they mention former Alabama, Florida, Oklahoma, ect. Player makes a big play.

Reactions: Asphalt.Jungle

It's a former P5 coach at a major program, it's like when P5 transfer to a G5 school and when ever they make a play they mention former Alabama, Florida, Oklahoma, ect. Player makes a big play.

So my bet is we get at least 2 of these per televised game: "Malzahn, the former Auburn head ball coach..."

So my bet is we get at least 2 of these per televised game: "Malzahn, the former Auburn head ball coach..."
Wouldn't be wrong. All I heard were, former Nebraska and Oklahoma National QB champions for the past 5 years

The data shows Malzahn did a heck of a lot more than Strong ever did as a head coach, or as a coordinator. He's at the perfect age...I don't think he'll want to venture for another P5 job in his early 60's, especially when you can live in Central Florida!!! Also, we seemed to do OK w/O'Leary.

Last edited:

Charlie Strong, a defensive coach, who had a losing record 3 straight years at the most prestigious Big 12 program vs Malzahn, an offensive coach, who has 9 straight winning seasons as a head coach in a division where you are automatically out resourced by Alabama, LSU, and TAMU. The similarities are basically a coach going from P5 to G5, but beyond that they aren’t similar.

Reactions: Knight Strength
I liked his press conference more detailed and alot more positive than JH presser as he joined UT. I wonder how many Tennessee fans watched the presser with GM today? I like the fact that he's back to calling the offense as the Chad Morris experiment as the play caller did not produce the same results. I for one am looking forward to more creative play calling based on the players skills. 😎

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
I'll take another helping of CROW please. It is clear that people who know a lot more about coaching talent than I ever will, rate UCF's hire as an A+. Newscasters, Newswriters, and more importantly, former players and coaches sing the praises of Coach GM. They are convinced UCF couldn't have hired a better coach if we tried. Now obviously the real test is on the field, but in the meantime, pass me some more CROW!!!

BTW...is it just me, or does he sound like a cross between Bobby Bowden & Dave Ramsey?
I would hope he's debt free by now, but who knows maybe he fell for the time share gimmick and that's why he's had to coach so hard, or maybe he's a legit redneck and has 14 RVs and boats to pay off. Dave Ramsey knows how to collect money just like Gus.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT