ADVERTISEMENT

Ok Gus, Start Calling Portal QBs

How bout we get an OC and/or QB coach and develop the FOUR QB’s that are currently on our roster/have already committed to us….Charge On!!
This is NOT a zero sum game, adding another competitor does not mean we are neglecting anyone else.

And answer this......how can you develop a guy that is busy with baseball for 5-6 months? JP isn't good enough to be a part time QB.

Since they hardly ever or never got a chance to see the field, how do we know that?
We don't know ANYTHING about how they will react to live action......THAT is the problem and thank you for reinforcing my point.

We don't know ANYTHING about how they will react to live action......THAT is the problem and thank you for reinforcing my point.
I agree with you, we don't know anything about them, but since that is the case, can we say "none of those QBs are any good?" Though that certainly could be the case. Hopefully, with a real competition, one will emerge.

Another little nugget for those who think we are fine with the QBs we have:
  • Passing Yards
    109th
    241.2 PYPG
And of the guys who contributed to this stat, 1 is gone, 1 doesn't choose to make the position his #1 priority, 1 was very unprepared after a full season to get ready.

Why not add an experienced arm to this group to improve our chances of having a decent QB?

I agree with you, we don't know anything about them, but since that is the case, can we say "none of those QBs are any good?" Though that certainly could be the case. Hopefully, with a real competition, one will emerge.
A usf troll is saying that, not a UCF fan.

How bout we get an OC and/or QB coach and develop the FOUR QB’s that are currently on our roster/have already committed to us….Charge On!!
That’s the best (and only) way forward, for now…until we get better talent to work with (and this is not pointed at Rizk, who isn’t even on campus yet).

Last edited:
Reactions: B R Knightz2
Another little nugget for those who think we are fine with the QBs we have:
  • Passing Yards
    109th
    241.2 PYPG
And of the guys who contributed to this stat, 1 is gone, 1 doesn't choose to make the position his #1 priority, 1 was very unprepared after a full season to get ready.

Why not add an experienced arm to this group to improve our chances of having a decent QB?
On the NCAA site it indicates we have the #57 passing offense (and yes, it indicates the same yards per game).

Time to remove head from the sand and get another option when the QB1 looks like he did against a mediocre ACC team. Here are a few available guys that should be on the speed dial and should be below the radar a bit (we aren't getting Sanders, McCall, etc):

Malik Hornsby (Arkansas) - No shame in being the backup to Jefferson, has seen a little action in 2 years. Saw him play in HS, the real deal with some coaching needed on the fine points. #8 dual threat QB in 2020 class, 6' 2". In top 10 of portal QBs with a 0.89 transfer grade.

Some highlights from his 247 scouting profile......"A track athlete with verified top-end speed", "Presents a dynamic run threat as the triggerman to an explosive spread offense. Owns a strong arm with the ability to stretch the field vertically. At his most dangerous when allowed to present defenses with run-pass conflict via the RPO game or on broken plays. Capable of pulling away from defenses once he breaks free"

Just yesterday, another scout claimed he was "one of the fastest players in the SEC"

Chandler Rogers (La-Monroe) - Threw for 15 TDs (ran for 5 more) 7 int and 2400 yards this year on 68% completions. Ran for 350 yards. Was lightly recruited. Fluid athlete

Mike Wright (Vanderbilt) - a former UCF recruit for Heupel....6' 4", a part time starter at Vandy the past 2 years, #19 dual threat in 2019. Has thrown for 2,100 yrds in his career with 21 TDs and 11 ints. Has run for 900 yrds and 7 TDs.

Other guys that deserve a phone call, but have fewer qualifications in terms of a fit:
1. Zach Calzada (Auburn)- Started 9 games as a true freshman at Texas A&M
2. Taisun Phommachanh (Georgia Tech) - Backed up UGI at Clemson and Jeff Sims at GT....#4 dual threat in 2020
3. Peter Costelli (Troy)- has been with Utah and Troy but unable to crack the lineup - Runs like the wind at 6' 3" (anchored his HS 4 x 100m team),
4. Davis Brin (Tulsa) - Knows how to beat UCF...LOL - 6,000 yds passing, 37 TDs, 60% completions......no run threat.
As an update, all the guys mentioned here are still available (unless the portal is behind on updates) except for Brin who has committed to Ga Southern.

Of the top 10, only Brennan Armstrong (#7) is left.

365 Sports did a “best remaining players in the portal” and Armstrong and Sanders were both in the Top 5.

Wanna make people really angry, remind them Jet Sweeps accounted for at least 20% of the "passing" offense 😆
Yes. It's yardage, nonetheless. I mean Pratt was only 8 of 17 for 234 yds, 2 TDs, 0 INT, and he ran 15 times for 83 yards. 34 runs against 17 pass plays. 305 yards rushing as a team. These stats pretty much seem like what we'd like to be doing. Defense gave up 592 yards but made some key plays. Good enough to win a NY6 Bowl. They execute their offense and defense well enough, and that's all you can ask from your team. If that's not good enough, so be it, you change. We haven't seen our offense executed well yet. We've only had little glimpses of that over the last two seasons. Hopefully we see that in the future. If not, change will occur.
moneyball-gets-on-base.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: KnightLife1
Teams are keying in on the jet sweeps, in the Duke game there was 7-8 passes to WR/RB that netted 12 yards total.

Heupel relied heavily on quick outs with Marlon Williams who could break tackles, but there was always a deep threat that made defenses scared to get burned. Duke who had a terrible pass defense didn't have to worry at all about a deep ball.

You can't develop the incumbent starter or really build an entire new offense because he will be playing baseball.

There are a ton of Questions about TC, including if QB is the right spot for him in a P5, to just hand him the keys.

McClain worries me. His mechanics are all over the place and he's wildly inconsistent. If we think we can make something out of him/TC, let the new coach decide that but not sure how this will look.

Not sure who the 4th option is.

Reactions: Shark19
You can't develop the incumbent starter or really build an entire new offense because he will be playing baseball.

There are a ton of Questions about TC, including if QB is the right spot for him in a P5, to just hand him the keys.

McClain worries me. His mechanics are all over the place and he's wildly inconsistent. If we think we can make something out of him/TC, let the new coach decide that but not sure how this will look.

Exactly, this guy gets it……the 4th option is the true Frosh Rizk.

Rizk but he’s redshirting more than likely.

I think Gus wants to upgrade every position and his History of bringing in transfers proves it….if he doesn’t bring another QB in it’s because he couldn’t find an upgrade from what’s already on our roster….I’m sure he wants to have at least two QBs he can start….his job depends on it.

You guys still counting TC in? Indications would be that he’s going into the portal, given he scrubbed his social media of UCF stuff.

Actually, all our current “options” have significant unknowns or question marks.

JP - Part time QB with injury concerns and not even an average P5 passer

TC - Sure looked less than prepared after a full season in the program. 2 of 8 for 8 yards and looked lost…..go look at how the usf true frosh looked in his first action

TMac - In 2021, he had bad mechanics, threw very few TDs, and running for his life. Not afraid to transfer out immediately if he doesn’t win the job. Total wildcard.

Rizk - Wouldn’t count on him past seeing a little PT in 4 games

Walk-ons - No, just no….clipboards and green jerseys

We need another option and the portal has a few guys left we could use…..why not try to get a Hornsby or Mike Wright in here?

We need another option and the portal has a few guys left we could use…..why not try to get a Hornsby or Mike Wright in here?
UCF doesn't need no stinking porthole hut hut. JRP will set the college foosball world on firah under the tutledge of Darin Hinshaw.

Translation: I have given up on Spencer Sanders. Nobody else moves the needle for UCF. I think Gus is satisfied with the QB room as is.

UCF doesn't need no stinking porthole hut hut. JRP will set the college foosball world on firah under the tutledge of Darin Hinshaw.

Translation: I have given up on Spencer Sanders. Nobody else moves the needle for UCF. I think Gus is satisfied with the QB room as is.
I'm not sure Gus ever thought there was a problem in the QB room. JRP is his guy, he thinks he great, so no need to worry. The new OC/QB coach hire kind of says that as well, right?

I'm not sure Gus ever thought there was a problem in the QB room. JRP is his guy, he thinks he great, so no need to worry. The new OC/QB coach hire kind of says that as well, right?
100% agree, every indication since the season ended points that Plumlee is the starter barring any injury. Nothing Gus has done/said would make you believe that he wants to deviate from his plan.

I don't think fall camp is going to be an open audition like it was in 2022, something drastic would have to happen to unseat him.

This is NOT a zero sum game, adding another competitor does not mean we are neglecting anyone else.

And answer this......how can you develop a guy that is busy with baseball for 5-6 months? JP isn't good enough to be a part time QB.
There have been plenty of good FB players in college that play 2 sports. Plumlee may not be a genus but I expect he can walk and chew gum at the same time.

There have been plenty of good FB players in college that play 2 sports. Plumlee may not be a genus but I expect he can walk and chew gum at the same time.
But Plumlee is not a good QB…..so the Russell Wilson type comparison does not hold water.

Honestly, we never had a shot at a top end QB transfer…..so you are correct to take the picture of Sanders off your bedroom ceiling.

But there are guys that can be an upgrade……

And if Gus is satisfied with his bag of question marks, and we don’t see an improvement in QB play, this probably is what he will be putting on his unemployment application.

Reactions: Cfb.npc
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT