ADVERTISEMENT

Ok Gus, Start Calling Portal QBs

100% agree, every indication since the season ended points that Plumlee is the starter barring any injury. Nothing Gus has done/said would make you believe that he wants to deviate from his plan.

I don't think fall camp is going to be an open audition like it was in 2022, something drastic would have to happen to unseat him.
How open do you really think that audition was in 2022? I'm not sure it was. I think Gus told Mikey from the beginning he didn't have a place here at UCF. It was JRP all the way no matter what anybody else thought.

How open do you really think that audition was in 2022? I'm not sure it was. I think Gus told Mikey from the beginning he didn't have a place here at UCF. It was JRP all the way no matter what anybody else thought.
I don’t know if he told Mikey or TC they had no chance but they had no chance and Mikey saw that and decided to leave as soon as it was official.

Sorry but we still disagree there. I don't have low expectations for UCF football.
I think that’s a comment about our current offensive scheme and not on the university.

Gus’s run-heavy offense isn’t going to be as enticing to QBs as, say, Heupel’s or Frost’s.

Reactions: Yaes
Honestly, nobody on that list has more upside than the three we currently have.

Sorry but we still disagree there. I don't have low expectations for UCF football.
Disagree all you want, but my viewpoint has thus far has been correct for 2022 and so far in the 2023 portal.

Would love to be proven wrong, but not happening

Disagree all you want, but my viewpoint has thus far has been correct for 2022 and so far in the 2023 portal.

Would love to be proven wrong, but not happening
Unfortunately, we won't find out unless Thomas Castellanos enters the portal.

Unfortunately, we won't find out unless Thomas Castellanos enters the portal.
Well the top guys are already committed unless there is a late entry. Actually, whether TC stays or not has very little bearing on the need. How lost he looked in his last game was very concerning.

If you remember, Brian Smith said UCF was one of the few schools offering him as a QB. I was hoping we would get lucky like we did with “TE” Blake Bortles.

Reactions: ucffinally
Well the top guys are already committed unless there is a late entry. Actually, whether TC stays or not has very little bearing on the need. How lost he looked in his last game was very concerning.

If you remember, Brian Smith said UCF was one of the few schools offering him as a QB. I was hoping we would get lucky like we did with “TE” Blake Bortles.
That has no bearing on his ability at all. You keep bringing up this one game as it’s a fact he’s not good. He looked very good in other games and a lot of players gushed over his ability in fall camp and season practices. It’s not his fault he got thrown into a CCG clearly unprepared by the coaching staff, against clearly the best team and one of the best defenses in our conference with an OL that was performing very poorly. Oh and his OC/QB coach was gone, only adding to the obvious unpreparedness that we all saw.

Reactions: Wings0fred
Update:

Armstrong chose NC St
Sanders has 3 SEC teams taking a run at him and he will choose one of those

Interesting guy I don't think anyone has mentioned, very experienced but has 2 years left....Hank Bachmeier. Needs development but definately worth a look.

Miss St had two QBs go into the portal on the same day...Leach knew how to get good play from QBs, maybe he saw something in one or both guys.

Update:

Armstrong chose NC St
Sanders has 3 SEC teams taking a run at him and he will choose one of those

Interesting guy I don't think anyone has mentioned, very experienced but has 2 years left....Hank Bachmeier. Needs development but definately worth a look.

Miss St had two QBs go into the portal on the same day...Leach knew how to get good play from QBs, maybe he saw something in one or both guys.
None of those guys are the runner that Sanders is, and none fit the current Gus Malzahn system, which is what Hinshaw will be implementing.

Also, if you watched the press conference closely, Gus said Hinshaw will "evaluate the quarterbacks this spring" to make a determination whether another transfer is needed.

It's over.

Were you there when this conversation took place? Were any of us there?

Maybe Keene saw the type of QB Gus wants and knew he wasn't that type of QB, made the decision himself to not burn a year, but be available just in case because of lack of other options on our roster. He waited around this year to see how things shook out because you never know what is going to happen (e.g. maybe Plumlee gets hurt and Keene has to play most of the season again). Life played out. He left.

Reactions: UCFootball14
I don't either but I would be very surprised if this happened this off-season. I think we can get a good transfer QB next off-season (if needed). The BIg 12 patch will be on our jersey. Hate to say it but there has always seemed to be a pecking order for recruits no matter what the outcomes seem to be. For example, Vandy, Rutgers and Northwestern are generally horrible but often have similar or better-rated recruiting classes. Even with the lure of the degree, you're signing yourself up to just lose. Not a lot of people "want" to do that.

Last edited:
If there's an opportunity to grab a QB then I'm all for it. But I would not go out of my way. I'd rather the recruiting efforts focus every bit of energy on offensive line right now.

Last edited:

Totally agree with this. TC did look lost in his last action. I thought he looked fine in his other very, very limited snaps. Basically right now we are left with this for the QB position, to quote Moneyball, "The nice way to say it is he lacks confidence."

Reactions: Shark19
I don't either but I would be very surprised if this happened this off-season. I think we can get a good transfer QB next off-season (if needed). The BIg 12 patch will be on our jersey. Hate to say it but there has always seemed to be a pecking order for recruits no matter what the outcomes seem to be. For example, Vandy, Rutgers and Northwestern are generally horrible but often have similar or better-rated recruiting classes. Even with the lure of the degree, your signing yourself up to just lose. Not a lot of people "want" to do that.

Try to convince me as you may, I refuse to believe Oregon State is a more desirable transfer spot than UCF.

Yes, I understand the kid is from the west coast, but Bo Nix was from Arkansas. He went out there. It is all about fit and need.

Spencer Sanders fits UCF and UCF needs him whether Gus knows it or not.

Pecking order be damned.

But as I said earlier...

Gus said Hinshaw will evaluate the quarterbacks in the spring to determine if UCF needs one. It isn't happening now. It will be the May window before anything happens. This will be my last post on the topic.

Last edited:

Try to convince me as you may, I refuse to believe Oregon State is a more desirable transfer spot than UCF.

Yes, I understand the kis is from the west coast, but Bo Nix was from Arkansas. He went out there. It is all about fit and need.

Pecking order be damned.

But as I said earlier...

Gus said Hinshaw will evaluate the quarterbacks in the spring to determine if UCF needs one. It isn't happening now. It will be the May window before anything happens. This will be my last post on the topic.
It's not. It's actually a really bad program that has done basically nothing in over 100 years of football. My guess is DJ still sees UCF as a G5 program, and he thinks NFL scouts see it that way as well..."Oh, he went from Clemson to a G5 program." Unfortunately, that seems to be the mindset of a lot of kids. He also knows Oregon State is probably not going to bring in talent good enough to replace/challenge him. Next year "Big 12" will be printed on our jersey's and all our sports will be playing in it (well, at least most, I think). It's a perception game-changer.

I mean, let's be honest, if I'm a QB in the portal and have any common sense I'm looking at UCF's QB roster and results for the last two seasons (9-4 and 9-5), and I'd be contacting them. The competition is "thin" right now.

Last edited:
It's not. It's actually a really bad program that has done basically nothing in over 100 years of football. My guess is DJ still sees UCF as a G5 program, and he thinks NFL scouts see it that way as well..."Oh, he went from Clemson to a G5 program." Unfortunately, that seems to be the mindset of a lot of kids. He also knows Oregon State is probably not going to bring in talent good enough to replace/challenge him. Next year "Big 12" will be printed on our jersey's and all our sports will be playing in it (well, at least most, I think). It's a perception game-changer.

I mean, let's be honest, if I'm a QB in the portal and have any common sense I'm looking at UCF's QB roster and results for the last two seasons (9-4 and 9-5), and I'd be contacting them. The competition is "thin" right now.
If Gus reached out you would have a point. I doubt Gus did. It’s a 2 way street. You can’t just say he didn’t want to come here because of a G5 tag that no longer exists. It’s probably because they didn’t want him he didn’t consider us.

Reactions: AuburnLegacy_1
Were you there when this conversation took place? Were any of us there?

Maybe Keene saw the type of QB Gus wants and knew he wasn't that type of QB, made the decision himself to not burn a year, but be available just in case because of lack of other options on our roster. He waited around this year to see how things shook out because you never know what is going to happen (e.g. maybe Plumlee gets hurt and Keene has to play most of the season again). Life played out. He left.
No, that is exactly my point.

If there's an opportunity to grab a QB then I'm all for it. But I would not go out of my way. I'd rather the recruiting efforts focus every bit of energy on offensive line right now.
The last two pickups I hope will be enough.....the guys left in the portal don't appear to be day 1 starters, maybe 1 more guy for depth.

Reactions: akahotsizzle

Yes, I understand the kid is from the west coast, but Bo Nix was from Arkansas. He went out there. It is all about fit and need.

Pecking order be damned.

But as I said earlier...

You take these losses too hard.....you need to be a UCF fan for awhile longer....LOL

This is the way it has been for us, every P5 school has been considered a better transfer spot......no matter how crappy they are. Oregon St might well be a Mountain West team in a couple of years, but the perception for alot of guys is all P5 > all G5.

I assume this will change some day in the near future for us......but this isn't that day for high end QB transfers.

And they wouldn't be wrong....a bag of question marks and unknowns.

If Gus reached out you would have a point. I doubt Gus did. It’s a 2 way street. You can’t just say he didn’t want to come here because of a G5 tag that no longer exists. It’s probably because they didn’t want him he didn’t consider us.
I really don't believe this....because if true I'm reserving a seat on the fire Gus bandwagon. Just like with the 5* recruits we don't get, you at least reach out and inquire.

You take these losses too hard.....you need to be a UCF fan for awhile longer....LOL

This is the way it has been for us, every P5 school has been considered a better transfer spot......no matter how crappy they are. Oregon St might well be a Mountain West team in a couple of years, but the perception for alot of guys is all P5 > all G5.

I assume this will change some day in the near future for us......but this isn't that day for high end QB transfers.
We even lost an AD to them.

Update: According to the portal, Malik Hornsby is following Jeff Sims to Nebraska.

Have no idea what Gus is thinking on the most important position in team sports. JP will probably spend plenty of time injured or at less than 100% just like this year except the schedule will be much tougher.....after playing a season of baseball so we HAVE to hope TMac or TC has improved.....ALOT.

Looks like a 4 win team at the moment.....

... a 4 in team, eh?

A 4 loss team maybe? Gus has never had a losing season. I don't think he, nor anyone at UCF, aspires to have one next season.

This spring, and the spring transfer portal, will have a say in the rest.

Last edited:
Update: According to the portal, Malik Hornsby is following Jeff Sims to Nebraska.

Have no idea what Gus is thinking on the most important position in team sports. JP will probably spend plenty of time injured or at less than 100% just like this year except the schedule will be much tougher.....after playing a season of baseball so we HAVE to hope TMac or TC has improved.....ALOT.

McClain will be Bortles Part Dos

that is my overly optimistic QB take. As far as story goes having a Seminole HS guy win the job would be the best story despite most of our fanbase wanting Tommy

that is my overly optimistic QB take. As far as story goes having a Seminole HS guy win the job would be the best story despite most of our fanbase wanting Tommy
I *hope" you are right. Gus has been stockpiling weapons for him or someone.

Man, I hope something works because I'm not feeling positive right now. We will have 9 games against real P5 teams that have been recruiting at a P5 level for years.

... a 4 in team, eh?

A 4 loss team maybe? Gus has never had a losing season. I don't think he, nor anyone at UCF, aspires to have one next season.

This spring, and the spring transfer porta, will have a say in the rest.
Yep, no one wants a losing season but this will be our toughest schedule ever BY FAR.

And you can save the "never had a losing season" BS, he has never had a situation like this to deal with.

Man, I hope something works because I'm not feeling positive right now. We will have 9 games against real P5 teams that have been recruiting at a P5 level for years.
heard he is a student of the game and a film room geek. our fans are gonna throw our stats to write him off ignoring the context of the situation he was in as a true freshman . I also think the UCF locker room has lacked leadership for years and I bet if he won the job the locker room would rally around him w the Seminole connection helping.

heard he is a student of the game and a film room geek. our fans are gonna throw our stats to write him off ignoring the context of the situation he was in as a true freshman . I also think the UCF locker room has lacked leadership for years and I bet if he won the job the locker room would rally around him w the Seminole connection helping.
I sure hope someone rises to the challenge because I think Gus is going to remain faithful to JRP. Did any one watch "Inside UCF’s $73M Dollar Football Facility with John Rhys Plumlee." Man he was strutting around like he owns the place and shows no indication his job is in jeopardy.

Reactions: PositYourself
I sure hope someone rises to the challenge because I think Gus is going to remain faithful to JRP. Did any one watch "Inside UCF’s $73M Dollar Football Facility with John Rhys Plumlee." Man he was strutting around like he owns the place and shows no indication his job is in jeopardy.
only have seen a few clips . may watch the whole thing later today …not trying to further dump on JRP but he gives me major entitlement vibes and not much of a work ethic

Reactions: Yaes
I didn’t say anybody reached out to anybody. I simply stated the perception of a lot of recruits out there is that we are a G5 program, and P5 programs, even mediocre ones, are higher in the pecking order to a lot of recruits, whether warranted or not. It’s easy to know this because kids talk about it in interviews and you can look at the recruiting rankings each year.

I wouldn’t take much from that. Anybody who’s commissioned to show around a dude at his facility on camera is going to come across like that

Now, at this point taking dives into the deep end of the QB pool is useless because Gus can’t swim, but in the interest of completeness:

New name in the portal this morning, Sam Huard, 5* QB from Washington, probably in the portal now since Penix is coming back.

Class of 2021, has just 44 attempts over two years, has 3 years left. A pocket passer but can run according to scouts. Great NFL bloodline.

Will most likely go to an established P5 team….

Now, at this point taking dives into the deep end of the QB pool is useless because Gus can’t swim, but in the interest of completeness:

New name in the portal this morning, Sam Huard, 5* QB from Washington, probably in the portal now since Penix is coming back.

Class of 2021, has just 44 attempts over two years, has 3 years left. A pocket passer but can run according to scouts. Great NFL bloodline.

Weren’t there 2 Huards? Brock and Damon or something.

Sam is on the first boat to USC where his brother is the wide receivers coach.

UCF is going to wait until after Spring to determine if there is a need for a portal quarterback. Some big names will come available once starters are established. Hugh Freeze is waiting as well.

It's unfortunate because Spencer Sanders could have benefited greatly from Gus Malzahn's offense and UCF could have benefited from Spencer.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT