ADVERTISEMENT

Ok Gus, Start Calling Portal QBs

There are a number of guys that were in the portal who could have at least been competitive on the low end and a clear starter on the high end. With JP off playing baseball we could have slid another arm into the mix.

I honestly think Gus is making job ending mistakes with this position.

Hope TC or TMac take MM like strides in the off season, or it could be a long embarrassing season.

Reactions: Knight59 and Yaes
Chandler Rogers (La-Monroe) - Threw for 15 TDs (ran for 5 more) 7 int and 2400 yards this year on 68% completions. Ran for 350 yards. Was lightly recruited. Fluid athlete

Other guys that deserve a phone call, but have fewer qualifications in terms of a fit:
1. Zach Calzada (Auburn)- Started 9 games as a true freshman at Texas A&M
Rogers is going to North Texas in the new AAC, and Calzada to Incarnate Word, which is turning into a mini-QB factory.

Rogers is going to North Texas in the new AAC, and Calzada to Incarnate Word, which is turning into a mini-QB factory.
Calzada had shoulder surgery that was botched during his time at Auburn. He may never play football again.

New in the portal:

Walker Howard (LSU) - Class of 2022, 6' 1" 195 lbs

0.9809 4*
Not a true dual threat, but scouting reports say he moves well enough and throws well on the run.

The chance we could get him is well into the Dumb and Dumber category ("so you're saying there is a chance") and will be visiting the flying Kiffins this weekend. Plus Auburn is still looking seriously and Fickell could use a 7th guy in his QB room.

Reactions: Wings0fred
New in the portal:

Walker Howard (LSU) - Class of 2022, 6' 1" 195 lbs

0.9809 4*
Not a true dual threat, but scouting reports say he moves well enough and throws well on the run.

The chance we could get him is well into the Dumb and Dumber category ("so you're saying there is a chance") and will be visiting the flying Kiffins this weekend. Plus Auburn is still looking seriously and Fickell could use a 7th guy in his QB room.
Dude, the answer is and always has been Spencer Sanders.

Now is UCF's chance. Spencer visited Ole Miss and did not receive an offer. Auburn has decided to go into a different direction. He is at home in Denton this weekend instead of off somewhere (Orlando) on an official visit.

Get with the program @GusMalzahn @DarinHinshaw

Staff UPDATE: UCF analyst DJ Mangas accepted the offensive coordinator position at Buffalo.

Last edited:
Dude, the answer is and always has been Spencer Sanders.
'POKE while the iron is hot!

Now is UCF's chance. Spencer Sanders visited Ole Miss and left without an offer. Auburn has decided to go into a different direction, waiting until May to take a portal quarterback. Sanders is at home in Denton, TX this weekend instead of off somewhere (Orlando) on an official visit.

Get with the program @GusMalzahn @DarinHinshaw

Staffing UPDATE: UCF analyst DJ Mangas accepted the offensive coordinator position at Buffalo.

Ranking UPDATE: UCF finished 38th overall, sixth in the Big12, in the final USAToday re-rankings.

247Sports' Way-to-early rankings UPDATE: https://247sports.com/LongFormArtic...-too-early-teams-to-watch-for-2023-202705476/

Last edited:
Meh, Sanders can go wherever, no big loss......he is only a 1 year guy and we aren't 1 guy away from competing in the B12. Would be better off with a 3-4 year guy.

We just won't have the depth to play a P5 every week just yet.

Interesting tidbit on how old Sanders is......he was committed to Ok St before Milton ever took a snap with us, Sept 2016.

Meh, Sanders can go wherever, no big loss......he is only a 1 year guy and we aren't 1 guy away from competing in the B12. Would be better off with a 3-4 year guy.

We just won't have the depth to play a P5 every week just yet.

Interesting tidbit on how old Sanders is......he was committed to Ok St before Milton ever took a snap with us, Sept 2016.
You were the one saying he was out of UCF's league.

Now he is available. He is definitely a difference maker at UCF, especially during this transitional period.

To not take him considering UCF's situation is the equivalent of malcoachingpractice.

You were the one saying he was out of UCF's league.
And he is....I'm saying no big loss, I would prefer a longer term option.

My goal for us next year is a 6-6 bowl type situation. With a guy like Sanders, yes we get there but would rather have a young guy take a few lumps but learn so in year two maybe we are a 8-9 win team then compete in year three. And every UCF fan should be happy with that progression.....look at Miami, 10+ years in and they have done NOTHING.

I'm not confident we have that young guy with promise in our QB room right now. That is where we could use a Huard or Howard.

My goal for us next year is a 6-6 bowl type situation. With a guy like Sanders, yes we get there but would rather have a young guy take a few lumps but learn so in year two maybe we are a 8-9 win team then compete in year three. And every UCF fan should be happy with that progression.....look at Miami, 10+ years in and they have done NOTHING.

I'm not confident we have that young guy with promise in our QB room right now. That is where we could use a Huard or Howard.
Miami has had plenty of young guys take lumps and nothing. We should probably take best available if not a true 3 year starter on roster. Gus won’t do it doesn’t matter. It’s JRP until he loses a few.

Reactions: AuburnLegacy_1
Miami has had plenty of young guys take lumps and nothing. We should probably take best available if not a true 3 year starter on roster. Gus won’t do it doesn’t matter. It’s JRP until he loses a few.
Correct. Here is a chance to improve the quarterback room (I think) with a four-year starting Big12 quarterback who is within reach and fits the offensive system, but Gus is going to let the opportunity slip through his fingers because he wants to prove he is right.

Just offer the kid a spot at UCF and see if he jumps at it. The worse case scenario is he stinks the place up and really likes chicken. In which case he will fit right in.

Fried Chicken GIF

Last edited:
Correct. Here is a chance to improve the quarterback room (I think) with a four-year starting Big12 quarterback who is within reach and fits the offensive system, and Gus is going to let the opportunity slip through his fingers because he thinks and wants to prove he is right.

Just offer the kid a spot at UCF and see if he jumps at it. The worse case scenario is he stinks the place up and really likes chicken. In which case he will fit right in.

Fried Chicken GIF
Sanders should just go to NFL and be UDFA if he doesn’t think he’ll get drafted.

Not so much....

Correct.

Which leads right back to the obvious answer: Spencer Sanders. There isn't a more ready-made quarterback for UCF's transition into the Big12. Win now; worry about 'the future' later.

*Key QBs still in the transfer portal*

OK State QB Spencer Sanders (Ole Miss heavily recruiting Sanders)

Boise State QB Hank Bochmeier

LSU QB Walker Howard (Ole Miss heavily recruiting Sanders)

Washington QB Sam Huard

Oregon State QB Chance Nolan

Vanderbilt QB Mike Wright (Ole Miss heavily recruiting Wright)

--------------------------------------------------------------
If Sanders isn't good enough to be a quarterback at Ole Miss, he should be exactly what Gus Malzahn is looking for at UCF.

Wright would be a great get for us...Heupel sure wanted him. And could he run the Gus offense?

Correct.

Which leads right back to the obvious answer: Spencer Sanders. There isn't a more ready-made quarterback for UCF's transition into the Big12. Win now; worry about 'the future' later.

*Key QBs still in the transfer portal*

OK State QB Spencer Sanders (Ole Miss heavily recruiting Sanders)

Boise State QB Hank Bochmeier

LSU QB Walker Howard (Ole Miss heavily recruiting Sanders)

Washington QB Sam Huard

Oregon State QB Chance Nolan

Vanderbilt QB Mike Wright (Ole Miss heavily recruiting Wright)

--------------------------------------------------------------
If Sanders isn't good enough to be a quarterback at Ole Miss, he should be exactly what Gus Malzahn is looking for at UCF.
The only other realistic get for us on this list is Bachmeier and Nolan (although there are connections with Indiana that wants him). But neither are a good fit with the offense (assuming we are still running something similar but with a more down field element).

The others are wishes or lottery wins....

Interesting to see who Auburn wants now since they have been swinging and missing alot.

Gunner Stockton or Brock Vandagriff most likely.
Neither guy in the portal, I don't figure Auburn is waiting around judging by how hard they are chasing options.

As for us, I have not seen a single sign that we have reached out to anyone (reported by media) so Gus looks like he wants to ride with his bag of unknowns and question marks. Think TM needs to start some advanced planning.

Neither guy in the portal, I don't figure Auburn is waiting around judging by how hard they are chasing options.
Auburn will wait until May to pursue a transfer portal QB.

As for us, I have not seen a single sign that we have reached out to anyone (reported by media) so Gus looks like he wants to ride with his bag of unknowns and question marks. Think TM needs to start some advanced planning.
Correct. You and I both lose, but UCF may end up the biggest loser.

Miami...10 plus years? Almost like 20 plus.

I think Timmy McClain has a lot of potential. He seems to have the same athletic ability as JRP and possibly a much more accurate passer. I look forward to hearing about his progress throughout spring practice. He might be our solution if he improves a few things.

I think Timmy McClain has a lot of potential. He seems to have the same athletic ability as JRP and possibly a much more accurate passer. I look forward to hearing about his progress throughout spring practice. He might be our solution if he improves a few things.
Well so far that hasn’t been the case:

McClain 2021, 55% completions, 5 TDs and 7 Ints
Plumlee 2022, 63% completions, 14 TDs and 8 Ints

Now, we all hope McClain has made radical improvements but his mechanics were also an issue. And we hope TC can improve and get ready to play.

Not bringing in another option with JP off playing baseball was really stupid.

Reactions: AuburnLegacy_1
Well so far that hasn’t been the case:

McClain 2021, 55% completions, 5 TDs and 7 Ints
Plumlee 2022, 63% completions, 14 TDs and 8 Ints

Now, we all hope McClain has made radical improvements but his mechanics were also an issue. And we hope TC can improve and get ready to play.

Not bringing in another option with JP off playing baseball was really stupid.

Plumlee who is playing his 4th year vs. McClain playing as a true freshman that was originally supposed to be backup. Also USF rush offense average 3.9 ypc, vs. UCF that averaged 5.2 ypc.

Plumlee's numbers playing for USF would be scary bad.

Reactions: Wings0fred and Yaes
Plumlee who is playing his 4th year vs. McClain playing as a true freshman that was originally supposed to be backup. Also USF rush offense average 3.9 ypc, vs. UCF that averaged 5.2 ypc.

Plumlee's numbers playing for USF would be scary bad.
Shark ain't wrong. It is coaching malpractice to bet the success of the program on a 22-year-old outfielder, a running back, and low-rated local 3 star.

Georgia has three 5 stars lined up to replace its guy.

I honestly think you are overreacting
We will see…..but if we go 4-8 next year with bad QB play, Gus will be living in The Villages come 2024.

What would it have hurt to bring in a transfer QB to see if there might be improvement there while Plumlee is shagging fly balls? The REAL P5 teams sure are doing it. Wisconsin took 3 of them. Ole Miss is taking 2. Nebraska just grabbed Jeff Sims on top of the two transfers they took last year. Fickell, Kiffin, and Ruhle know what they’re doing.

Shark ain't wrong. It is coaching malpractice to bet the success of the program on a 22-year-old outfielder, a running back, and low-rated local 3 star.

Georgia has three 5 stars lined up to replace its guy.
Duke and Tulane is the perfect example of what we're going to get from Plumlee (especially if the play calling doesn't change)

Reactions: Knight59
THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Even deeper on this, look at the injury issues he had and the time missed.
JRP gets hurt (again) in the first couple of weeks and our inaugural Big XII season is going to be the most painful season we’ve endured! Unless…someone comes off the bench that’s actually a QB and our WRs start getting some catchable passes, the OL blocking gets better because they have a QB that doesn’t immediately bail from the pocket, and the RBs start putting up the numbers we knew they could because the opposing Ds actually respect our passing game! Just imagine! Seriously, I’d never want JRP to get hurt (again) but he won‘t bring that vision to life.

Reactions: Shark19 and Yaes
Tonight’s final thought re: our QBs. We’re going into a much tougher conference with the EXACT QB lineup (minus our best passing QB) that couldn’t win a very weak AAC and got taken to the woodshed by a talented but certainly not a P5 juggernaut Duke team. And Gus thinks the baseball player will make huge strides how?!? No other P5 team is foolish enough to bet their season on a QB that isn’t willing to give his team his absolute best effort. I don’t know how the rest of the team can have faith or allegiance to him. I really can’t. Daily there’s articles about what the best college QBs do in order to up their game. JRP’s plan is to forget about fb until August. Gus, what could go wrong?

Tonight’s final thought re: our QBs. We’re going into a much tougher conference with the EXACT QB lineup (minus our best passing QB) that couldn’t win a very weak AAC and got taken to the woodshed by a talented but certainly not a P5 juggernaut Duke team. And Gus thinks the baseball player will make huge strides how?!? No other P5 team is foolish enough to bet their season on a QB that isn’t willing to give his team his absolute best effort. I don’t know how the rest of the team can have faith or allegiance to him. I really can’t. Daily there’s articles about what the best college QBs do in order to up their game. JRP’s plan is to forget about fb until August. Gus, what could go wrong?
It would seriously be tough to watch games if JRP is our starter. no Temple G5 defenses to run on

McClain would be the best story

Reactions: Shark19
It would seriously be tough to watch games if JRP is our starter. no Temple G5 defenses to run on

McClain would be the best story
Don't know who would be the best story but I agree with you I don't have a lot of confidence with JRP.

We will see…..but if we go 4-8 next year with bad QB play, Gus will be living in The Villages come 2024.

What would it have hurt to bring in a transfer QB to see if there might be improvement there while Plumlee is shagging fly balls? The REAL P5 teams sure are doing it. Wisconsin took 3 of them. Ole Miss is taking 2. Nebraska just grabbed Jeff Sims on top of the two transfers they took last year. Fickell, Kiffin, and Ruhle know what they’re doing.
You bring in as many quality QBs as you can every year, and you let God sort them out. The portal dictates this.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT