ADVERTISEMENT

Ok Gus, Start Calling Portal QBs

Shark19

Golden Knight
Sep 13, 2009
Time to remove head from the sand and get another option when the QB1 looks like he did against a mediocre ACC team. Here are a few available guys that should be on the speed dial and should be below the radar a bit (we aren't getting Sanders, McCall, etc):

Malik Hornsby (Arkansas) - No shame in being the backup to Jefferson, has seen a little action in 2 years. Saw him play in HS, the real deal with some coaching needed on the fine points. #8 dual threat QB in 2020 class, 6' 2". In top 10 of portal QBs with a 0.89 transfer grade.

Some highlights from his 247 scouting profile......"A track athlete with verified top-end speed", "Presents a dynamic run threat as the triggerman to an explosive spread offense. Owns a strong arm with the ability to stretch the field vertically. At his most dangerous when allowed to present defenses with run-pass conflict via the RPO game or on broken plays. Capable of pulling away from defenses once he breaks free"

Just yesterday, another scout claimed he was "one of the fastest players in the SEC"

Chandler Rogers (La-Monroe) - Threw for 15 TDs (ran for 5 more) 7 int and 2400 yards this year on 68% completions. Ran for 350 yards. Was lightly recruited. Fluid athlete

Mike Wright (Vanderbilt) - a former UCF recruit for Heupel....6' 4", a part time starter at Vandy the past 2 years, #19 dual threat in 2019. Has thrown for 2,100 yrds in his career with 21 TDs and 11 ints. Has run for 900 yrds and 7 TDs.

Other guys that deserve a phone call, but have fewer qualifications in terms of a fit:
1. Zach Calzada (Auburn)- Started 9 games as a true freshman at Texas A&M
2. Taisun Phommachanh (Georgia Tech) - Backed up UGI at Clemson and Jeff Sims at GT....#4 dual threat in 2020
3. Peter Costelli (Troy)- has been with Utah and Troy but unable to crack the lineup - Runs like the wind at 6' 3" (anchored his HS 4 x 100m team),
4. Davis Brin (Tulsa) - Knows how to beat UCF...LOL - 6,000 yds passing, 37 TDs, 60% completions......no run threat.

Might be worthwhile to see who the next OC will be before we dive into any if this. On the off chance that Malzahn actually gives up play calling, then the approach to the QB position moving forward is completely different.

Personally, I also think UCF is okay at the position long-term. Rather than finding another one-year stopgap QB in the portal, would it be more worthwhile long-term to find out between McClain & TC who your guy is, take your lumps in Year 1 of the B12, and be better off in 2024-2025 for it…?

Might be worthwhile to see who the next OC will be before we dive into any if this. On the off chance that Malzahn actually gives up play calling, then the approach to the QB position moving forward is completely different.

Personally, I also think UCF is okay at the position long-term. Rather than finding another one-year stopgap QB in the portal, would it be more worthwhile long-term to find out between McClain & TC who your guy is, take your lumps in Year 1 of the B12, and be better off in 2024-2025 for it…?
I'm not in favor of a 1 year guy either, which is why all the options I listed (except for Brin) have 2-4 years left. This is not a "OK to take your lumps in year 1 of a new conference" fanbase. And the bigger risk is what if neither guy never pan out? McClain threw for just 5 TDs in a whole season and TC was completely not prepared to play after a full season in the program......and not to rub too much sand in the wound the true Frosh usf starter was 21-25 for 240 yds and 3 TDs in his first start.

And any OC that comes is will be running Gus' offense so no reason to wait. Smart teams hit the ground running on Dec 5th.

What about Timmy the USF QB transfer?
And what do we really know about him at this point? Only that he had very underwhelming stats, yikes mechanics, and was running for his life most of the time for just 1 year with a bad team.

He will be in the competition for sure, but is a big ?.

Look, if you guys want to bury your head in the sand and just hope somebody we already have can turn into a solid college QB, go ahead. The guys with realistic expectations and higher football IQs here think we could use an additional option.

And what do we really know about him at this point? Only that he had very underwhelming stats, yikes mechanics, and was running for his life most of the time for just 1 year with a bad team.

He will be in the competition for sure, but is a big ?.

Look, if you guys want to bury your head in the sand and just hope somebody we already have can turn into a solid college QB, go ahead. The guys with realistic expectations and higher football IQs here think we could use an additional option.
“Higher Football IQs” lol wow. Let’s see, I guess my “low football IQ” must be really hindering my ability to wildly overreact to the insanely small sample-size TC had this year. You’re right my guy, Castellanos will never get bigger/stronger/better. How could he ever not have everything figured out already as a true freshmen. We’ve seen enough, he’s a bust (sarcasm, obviously. But you never know)…

Who are these high football IQ posters you speak of? Lol

Time to remove head from the sand and get another option when the QB1 looks like he did against a mediocre ACC team. Here are a few available guys that should be on the speed dial and should be below the radar a bit (we aren't getting Sanders, McCall, etc):

Malik Hornsby (Arkansas) - No shame in being the backup to Jefferson, has seen a little action in 2 years. Saw him play in HS, the real deal with some coaching needed on the fine points. #8 dual threat QB in 2020 class, 6' 2". In top 10 of portal QBs with a 0.89 transfer grade.

Some highlights from his 247 scouting profile......"A track athlete with verified top-end speed", "Presents a dynamic run threat as the triggerman to an explosive spread offense. Owns a strong arm with the ability to stretch the field vertically. At his most dangerous when allowed to present defenses with run-pass conflict via the RPO game or on broken plays. Capable of pulling away from defenses once he breaks free"

Just yesterday, another scout claimed he was "one of the fastest players in the SEC"

Chandler Rogers (La-Monroe) - Threw for 15 TDs (ran for 5 more) 7 int and 2400 yards this year on 68% completions. Ran for 350 yards. Was lightly recruited. Fluid athlete

Mike Wright (Vanderbilt) - a former UCF recruit for Heupel....6' 4", a part time starter at Vandy the past 2 years, #19 dual threat in 2019. Has thrown for 2,100 yrds in his career with 21 TDs and 11 ints. Has run for 900 yrds and 7 TDs.

Other guys that deserve a phone call, but have fewer qualifications in terms of a fit:
1. Zach Calzada (Auburn)- Started 9 games as a true freshman at Texas A&M
2. Taisun Phommachanh (Georgia Tech) - Backed up UGI at Clemson and Jeff Sims at GT....#4 dual threat in 2020
3. Peter Costelli (Troy)- has been with Utah and Troy but unable to crack the lineup - Runs like the wind at 6' 3" (anchored his HS 4 x 100m team),
4. Davis Brin (Tulsa) - Knows how to beat UCF...LOL - 6,000 yds passing, 37 TDs, 60% completions......no run threat.
Your nonsense is where we went in the first place. The problem is "pick the right QB" and that's not recognizable to Gussie. Castellanos has great potential, he thinks like a QB, can run "when he needs to" and can likely run an effective "no-gimjkick" running game. The talent is there (with Ritzik) but the coaching doesn't get it and , like you, never will. The mental aspect of the game, that McKenzie Milton has is sorely lacking.

“Higher Football IQs” lol wow. Let’s see, I guess my “low football IQ” must be really hindering my ability to wildly overreact to the insanely small sample-size TC had this year. You’re right my guy, Castellanos will never get bigger/stronger/better. How could he ever not have everything figured out already as a true freshmen. We’ve seen enough, he’s a bust (sarcasm, obviously. But you never know)…

Who are these high football IQ posters you speak of? Lol
Sorry dude, you can't be good at everything.....

Your nonsense is where we went in the first place. The problem is "pick the right QB" and that's not recognizable to Gussie. Castellanos has great potential, he thinks like a QB, can run "when he needs to" and can likely run an effective "no-gimjkick" running game. The talent is there (with Ritzik) but the coaching doesn't get it and , like you, never will. The mental aspect of the game, that McKenzie Milton has is sorely lacking.
Maybe he can, maybe not......but who saw any development in his 5th game? The point of the thread is we really need another option. All we have at present are question marks....

One year left (will be in his 6th year next year).

No question would be a huge passer upgrade (62 TDs and 22 ints in past 2 seasons), but is strictly a pocket passer. Then philosophically, do you want a 1 year guy at this position? Tough question....

Would probably be available to us if we wanted him.
Mordecai is going to Wisconsin. How did you miss that with your super high football IQ?

LOL, just saw that mentioned on the telecast as you did.....you get triggered real easy don't you?
Not at all big guy. Just hoping and wishing that one day I’ll have a strong enough football IQ to know which routes are best to attack cover 2, cover 3, quarters, man free, plays to run to the field vs to the boundary, the difference between 11/12/13/21 personnel groups, strength/weaknesses of 3-4/4-3/4-2-5 defenses, etc. It’s really hard out here…

Not at all big guy. Just hoping and wishing that one day I’ll have a strong enough football IQ to know which routes are best to attack cover 2, cover 3, quarters, man free, plays to run to the field vs to the boundary, the difference between 11/12/13/21 personnel groups, strength/weaknesses of 3-4/4-3/4-2-5 defenses, etc. It’s really hard out here…
I hope so too.....good luck to you!

He’s a pussy. Dudes a HS coach acting like he’s big time.
So…in the last 24 hours you’ve referred to me as Cabana Clown, Bubba Gump (huh?), cocksmoke (I literally don’t understand that one, what? Lol), and now this. Yet, you’ve also managed to not really say anything significant or interesting about UCF football, and made yourself not look great in the process (haven’t referred to you by any names, or ever care to).

And now you’ve followed me to another thread and jumped in. It’s the off-season, this is crazy. You take care, take it easy.

• Love
Reactions: Knightmare13
I would take a 1 year stop gap as long as Gus, or someone, develops a QB for Gus’s offense which means a run heavy QB but needs to be able throw more than short slants, screens or bubble screens. You can’t come from behind without a deep ball threat.

As far as the next OC goes…doesn’t matter unless Gus stops calling the plays. He’s going to do what he’s always done which is what got him fired at Auburn.

We agree (and have for some time) that Ray Charles--blind and even dead--can see that UCF needs a legitimate transfer quarterback to enroll for the spring.

What we vehemently disagree on is UCF settling on a lower-tier option.

Spencer Sanders and Grayson McCall should be the top candidates for UCF. Gus should interview Oklahoma State QB Coach Tim Rattay and Coastal Carolina OC/QB Willy Korn about the OC job.

Sanders is the best fit for UCF and Rattay, who raised all manner of hell as a QB at La Tech, is ready for an OC job. Also, former Oklahoma quarterback and co-OC Cale Gundy is expected to join the staff at Oklahoma State where his brother Mike is the head coach. In what could be a mutual parting of ways with Rattay for Gundy, Gus could get Sanders and Rattay and UCF would be free of having to pay a buyout for Rattay, who would get a salary bump and promotion as UCF's OC.

Last edited:
We agree (and have for some time) that Ray Charles--blind and even dead--can see that UCF needs a legitimate transfer quarterback to enroll for the spring.

Spencer Sanders and Grayson McCall should be the top candidates for UCF. Gus should interview Oklahoma State QB Coach Tim Rattay and Coastal Carolina OC/QB Willy Korn about the OC job.

Sanders is the best fit for UCF and Rattay, who raised all manner of hell as a QB at La Tech, is ready for an OC job. Also, former Oklahoma quarterback and co-OC Cale Gundy is expected to join the staff at Oklahoma State where his brother Mike is the head coach. In what could be a mutual parting of ways with Rattay for Gundy, Gus could get Sanders and Rattay and UCF would be free of having to pay a buyout for Rattay, who would get a salary bump and promotion as UCF's OC.

This guy is the biggest Malhazan simp ever. Dude tried to get a portal QB last year and whiffed on every single one that was remotely good. You believe he’s getting anyone this year?

So you would hire an OC STRICTLY as bait to get a 1 year player to come here.......geez you write some stupid crap sometimes.

You are forgetting 2 things:
1. UCF is not the blue blood SEC team you are used to rooting for. We need to be smart and not compete with blue bloods at this point. Hopefully our day comes. Sanders has 4 favorites.....and we ain't one of them

2. You think every top QB wants to come and play in a gimmick offense......newsflash, they don't.

This guy is the biggest Malhazan simp ever. Dude tried to get a portal QB last year and whiffed on every single one that was remotely good. You believe he’s getting anyone this year?
OK full retard......the 90s are calling, go pick up the fax machine and page me later when the canes don't suck anymore.

I have no idea what we've got in Timmy and Tommy, but Gus should have a decent idea by now. If he doesn't get someone else then he must like what he sees. No one thinks the position doesn't need an upgrade from JRP.

Reactions: 90Knight and tjb74
I have no idea what we've got in Timmy and Tommy, but Gus should have a decent idea by now. If he doesn't get someone else then he must like what he sees. No one thinks the position doesn't need an upgrade from JRP.
He likes what he sees in Plumlee, he liked what he saw in Gatewood enough to shoe horn him into games last year. Hard to trust his judgement on QB play.

This guy is the biggest Malhazan simp ever. Dude tried to get a portal QB last year and whiffed on every single one that was remotely good. You believe he’s getting anyone this year.
Gus ONLY has to succeed with one transfer quarterback. Jarrett Stidham ring a bell? Gus struck out many times before he signed the Raiders starting quarterback.
So you would hire an OC STRICTLY as bait to get a 1 year player to come here.......geez you write some stupid crap sometimes.
UCF needs a clipboard holder --or-- an OC who is going to totally revamp the offense. If you believe the former is true--as do I--then YES. Strictly hire an OC as bait to get a transformational quarterback to come to UCF. Who knows? You might land a great OC in the process. Who knew GJ Kinne could coach?

Tim Rattay and Willie Korn are chop liver. Both have proven track records. Plus, Rattay knows the lay of the land in the Big12. He would be an asset. UCF could do far, far worse (Chad Morris).
1. UCF is not the blue blood SEC team you are used to rooting for. We need to be smart and not compete with blue bloods at this point. Hopefully our day comes. Sanders has 4 favorites.....and we ain't one of them

2. You think every top QB wants to come and play in a gimmick offense......newsflash, they don't.
No. 1, I don't have lowered expectations for UCF. Neither does Gus. You need to break free from the LBS (little brother syndrome) and stop acting like UCF is a Mickey Mouse ride at Universal Studios. I expect UCF to do great things over the next few years. I expect UCF to win recruiting battles off the field and games on the field against these Blue Bloods.

No. 2, UCF is signing SEC-caliber athletes out the azz. Two uat transfers and an Auburn transfer at the wide receiver spots. A 5-star Florida running back. A uat transfer at LT. Eventually a hotshot QB will take notice and figure out if JRP can throw for 2500 yards while sitting out second halves, then h*ll they ought to be able to eclipse 3,500 in their sleep.

Last edited:
Hope Gus does. I appreciate his loyalty but dude will go down with the ship.

All for QB competition but OL is more of the issue than JRP himself. I don't know if it's the players, coach Hand, Gus, or whatever, but that would be my absolute focus outside of an OC. I saw enough to know JRP can easily be a 3000/1000 yard guy so long as he stays healthy by not taking as many risks when running and has good protection when in the pocket.

No. 1, I don't have lowered expectations for UCF. Neither does Gus. You need to break free from the LBS (little brother syndrome) and stop acting like UCF is a Mickey Mouse ride at Universal Studios. I expect UCF to do great things over the next few years. I expect UCF to win recruiting battles off the field and games on the field against these Blue Bloods.

No. 2, UCF is signing SEC-caliber athletes out the azz. Two uat transfers and an Auburn transfer at the wide receiver spots. A 5-star Florida running back. A uat transfer at LT. Eventually a hotshot QB will take notice and figure out if JRP can throw for 2500 yards while sitting out second halves, then they h*ll ought to be able to eclipse 3,500 in their sleep.

Agree with you there. This is going to be another one of those breaks in the UCF football timeline where kids will only know Big12 UCF, just like some kids began their time at UCF with KZ or Blake. But for those of us that have been around for 20+ years or more, that syndrome is can be hard to break from, especially after dealing with UF, FSU, Miami, and even the Cows during their good years. Personally, I've seen enough to know that we're a program capable of the very best results.

As a program, we've already beaten blue-blood teams more than a few times. Teams that regularly out-recruit us. That will change as the money begins to flow in and facilities are upgraded. If we continue to have success I expect us to have top 30 recruiting classes in just a couple years' time.

Reactions: 90Knight
All for QB competition but OL is more of the issue than JRP himself. I don't know if it's the players, coach Hand, Gus, or whatever, but that would be my absolute focus outside of an OC. I saw enough to know JRP can easily be a 3000/1000 yard guy so long as he stays healthy by not taking as many risks when running and has good protection when in the pocket.

Agree with you there. This is going to be another one of those breaks in the UCF football timeline where kids will only know Big12 UCF, just like some kids began their time at UCF with KZ or Blake. But for those of us that have been around for 20+ years or more, that syndrome is can be hard to break from, especially after dealing with UF, FSU, Miami, and even the Cows during their good years. Personally, I've seen enough to know that we're a program capable of the very best results.

As a program, we've already beaten blue-blood teams more than a few times. Teams that regularly out-recruit us. That will change as the money begins to flow in and facilities are upgraded. If we continue to have success I expect us to have top 30 recruiting classes in just a couple years' time.
I wish I had the same faith in JRP. I don’t.

Yes, he’s had games where the OL played poorly. However, I’ve seen so many plays where the OL has provided an adequate pocket and he simply doesn’t operate appropriately. He doesn’t slide to open spaces. He frequently panics and run directly into the rush. He’s often too indecisive where he takes unnecessary sacks instead of throwing the ball away or running early.

I just think he has too many areas to work. If he’s not 100% dialed in to work on these issues, then he definitely shouldn’t be starting next season.

Tim Rattay and Willie Korn are chop liver.
Then WHY are you recommending we hire them? And you should go with "chopped"....SEC education strikes again.

Hate to say this, but you would be better off being a fan of just Auburn again......you have no idea where UCF is as a program. You have spent too long shopping at the Jerk Store to adjust.

So WHY did we end up with JP, who hadn't seen any action at QB since 2019, when SO many better choices were out there? Because we were the best (only?) program who was willing to let him play QB and that we could coach him up. It worked against poor teams and undisciplined defenses, but we ran out of them.

THAT is where UCF is right now. We are P5 team #68 or whatever the last rung is. We will have to take a guy in the portal with a flaw or two and hope we can get improvement. Those are the type of guys I recommend.

Why don't you hit the phones and get Bryce Young to transfer? Same odds as Sanders, McCall, etc. and more upside.

I would take a 1 year stop gap as long as Gus, or someone, develops a QB for Gus’s offense which means a run heavy QB but needs to be able throw more than short slants, screens or bubble screens. You can’t come from behind without a deep ball threat.

As far as the next OC goes…doesn’t matter unless Gus stops calling the plays. He’s going to do what he’s always done which is what got him fired at Auburn.
Is anyone else tired of Gus's offense? It's time for Gus to get a new offense because his offense seems to need a QB that is rare and one that needs to be made of steel otherwise he is hurt all the time. We all seem to just keep making excuses for an offense that now seems outdated.

Reactions: Guinness_Knight

THIS^^^^

Is anyone else tired of Gus's offense? It's time for Gus to get a new offense because his offense seems to need a QB that is rare and one that needs to be made of steel otherwise he is hurt all the time. We all seem to just keep making excuses for an offense that now seems outdated.
Gus' offense is done. If he doesn't get a play caller we're doomed.

Then WHY are you recommending we hire them? And you should go with "chopped"....SEC education strikes again.
Well I left out "not." They are not chopped liver. My bad on that one.

Lastly, why not hire a QB Coach just to get a transfer QB? The last two seasons UCF has replaced its OC/QB coach. Neither has lasted more than a year. Oregon signed Bo because of Kenny Dillingham. Had UCF hired Dillingham, Bo would have ended up in Orlando. Kenny was at Oregon just one season as well.
Hate to say this, but you would be better off being a fan of just Auburn again......you have no idea where UCF is as a program. You have spent too long shopping at the Jerk Store to adjust.
Ok Mr. Low Expectations having dude. Keep living in the UCF 1980s.

So WHY did we end up with JP, who hadn't seen any action at QB since 2019, when SO many better choices were out there? Because we were the best (only?) program who was willing to let him play QB and that we could coach him up. It worked against poor teams and undisciplined defenses, but we ran out of them.
Auburn has missed on many transfer quarterbacks over the years. Did it cause Auburn to just give up and stop going after them? H*ll no!
THAT is where UCF is right now. We are P5 team #68 or whatever the last rung is. We will have to take a guy in the portal with a flaw or two and hope we can get improvement. Those are the type of guys I recommend.
THAT is where UCF will remain if people in power have your attitude.
Why don't you hit the phones and get Bryce Young to transfer? Same odds as Sanders, McCall, etc. and more upside.
You may actually be correct here. The odds are zero that Gus Malzahn will land ANY transfer quarterback if he does not figure out he needs one.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm OK to keep building a foundation and having REALISTIC expectations. If our administration thought like you do we would just be usf East.

Adjust the myopic mindset you have....

If we try to play like the Yankees in here, we will lose to the a Yankees out there.” -Billy Beane (played by Brad Pitt)

Reactions: Shark19
If we try to play like the Yankees in here, we will lose to the a Yankees out there.” -Billy Beane (played by Brad Pitt)
Great reset and very relevant to our situation. We can't even get close to the NIL money that bluebloods are throwing at top portal QBs.

Find a guy lower on the food chain with flaws the staff think they can work with.....and running an odd offense would actually help in this case to reduce competition.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT