ADVERTISEMENT

OK the betting line is open for the question: How long does Dawkins last?

I agree. I want him here. I hope his recruiting and coaching jumps up in the Big 12.

I don't see his coaching changing and we have zero players for 2022-2023

No it is not accurate. You said under Dawkins they finish in the top half of the AAC "every other year". That is false.

Last year they finished 6th out of 11 teams. The year before that they finished 8th out of 12 teams. This year they are currently 7th out of 11 teams.
Thank you. Johnny does not coach his players to be smart or aggressive. When he came in he had Donnie Jones players. Is he better than Donnie?...HELL yes. But we are in a 1/2 basketball conference now going to a FULL basketball conf with the big 12

Reactions: knightraveler
Walker standing all alone under the basket and of course we shoot an off three.
That's the crud I'm talking about. We need to wear clock and CJ is clueless to the plan. He's a Senior! Didn't johnny tell them what to do on the inbound and possession with 1:24 left?????????????

What makes you think UCF "should be Top 4"? Just because? Your UCFeelings told you that.

We took a significant jump up to the Big East / AAC when we did nothing of relevance in CUSA. We did nothing as a Mid-Major and now you expect us to be top 4 of High Major. Okay.

Realists know it takes time to build a program.

#UCFacts
Agree but blowout losses to bottom dwellers?? BIG RED FLASHING LIGHT HERE. Something is wrong. He's had 5 years to build something. How many years before were upper top 4 AAC?

No it is not accurate. You said under Dawkins they finish in the top half of the AAC "every other year". That is false.

Last year they finished 6th out of 11 teams. The year before that they finished 8th out of 12 teams. This year they are currently 7th out of 11 teams.

On average.

#UCFacts

Agree but blowout losses to bottom dwellers?? BIG RED FLASHING LIGHT HERE. Something is wrong. He's had 5 years to build something. How many years before were upper top 4 AAC?

Good point. This year, his 5th year should be the year. The talent is there. I don't know what is missing. It's frustrating.

I think Johnny has earned another year or 2.

Tangental, I don't think the AAC has got enough respect. Finishing top 5 to basically top half the league should be bubble tourney team. We would look at our season differently if the AAC was getting the love from the committee that I think the AAC deserves.

Think back about how bad UConn was in the AAC. This year they have in been in the Top25 all year.

#UCFacts

I like all our sports but I've had a hard time turning on the MBB lately. If there's a choice between MBB and WBB I've been consistently picking WBB, as the team is so much more complete and is always competitive. I'm not saying Dawkins needs to go but the end product has been disappointing.

UConn has 4 wins against rpi top 30, including road win over #2 rpi Auburn

UCONN won AAC in 2014 and 2016. Won NC in 2014. A couple years later Ollie was fired for letting players get extra benefits among other things. They were docked a scholarship and put on probation. The climbed out of that last year.

UCONN won AAC in 2014 and 2016. Won NC in 2014. A couple years later Ollie was fired for letting players get extra benefits among other things. They were docked a scholarship and put on probation. The climbed out of that last year.

Multiple NCs in the 2000s, UConn did terrible in the AAC.

Johnny's UCF team was above the UConn in the AAC 3 of the 4 years when the both were in AAC.

#UCFacts

Multiple NCs in the 2000s, UConn did terrible in the AAC.

Johnny's UCF team was above the UConn in the AAC 3 of the 4 years when the both were in AAC.

#UCFacts
They won AAC twice with a National Championship in 2013-14. The first year it started. In same Conference with us for at least 6 years. They just left 2 seasons ago. They fired coach and had sanctions the last 2 seasons of AAC.

They won AAC twice with a National Championship in 2013-14. The first year it started. In same Conference with us for at least 6 years. They just left 2 seasons ago. They fired coach and had sanctions the last 2 seasons of AAC.

Are you really trying to imply that the 6th most NCs men's basketball team had a good run in the AAC? They won the NC in 2014 so they were in peak form when the new AAC was assembled.

Let me be clear. In the 7 years of the AAC several elite teams have had below expectations seasons. It's part of the sport. It's not always the coach's fault for a couple of below-expectation years. I believe Head Coaches get too much credit and criticism. College Coaches in general are used as scapegoats. Nebraska football is the best example of that.

#UCFacts

Last edited:
Are you really trying to imply that the 6th most NCs men's basketball team had a good run in the AAC? They won the NC in 2014 so they were in peak form when the new AAC was assembled.

Let me be clear. In the 7 years of the AAC several elite teams have had below expectations. It's part of the sport. It's not always the coach's fault for a couple of below-expectation years. I believe Head Coaches get too much credit and criticism. College Coaches in general are used as scapegoats. Nebraska football is the best example of that.

#UCFacts
OK then :) ...why is Nebraska not winning? Probably the talent, the conference, and location! So I agree with you in many ways.

Reactions: UCFhonors
I think Dawkins is a good guy and the players like him but that alone does not make a good coach. There are way too many defensive lapses and intensity drop offs to win consistently. This season he has remarkable talent and yet his team is underperforming. Unless somehow he gets into the NIT it is time for UCF to look elsewhere. Things are about to get very hard in the BIG 12 and if he can't win in the AAC then I am pretty sure he won't win in the BIG 12 consistantly for sure.

He’s got one more year. Then you need to pull the trigger on your coach for the Big 12, and that gives that staff one year to prep for the move and get settled into the recruiting cycle.

Based on the roster, it might even be good to move on after this season. We’re losing 4 players (and 2 others that warm the bench). Not a lot to look forward to next season unless someone like Walker turns into a 18 pt/ 10 rbd guy, and others make a big jump as well.

He’s got one more year. Then you need to pull the trigger on your coach for the Big 12, and that gives that staff one year to prep for the move and get settled into the recruiting cycle.

Based on the roster, it might even be good to move on after this season. We’re losing 4 players (and 2 others that warm the bench). Not a lot to look forward to next season unless someone like Walker turns into a 18 pt/ 10 rbd guy, and others make a big jump as well.
If you wait until after next year it will be too late. We will immediately go into B12 after next year. New coach won’t have any recruits and will have to hope transfers are great. First year in B12 would be a disaster if we don’t make a move after this season.

I'm not new to UCF, to basketball or to life (that's why I'm OM) and I agree with the growing number of Dawkins Dissidents. As a season ticket holder, they're getting harder and harder to watch. Time for a change.
Good debate, but the bottom line the team is underperforming. That's the issue and frustration for the fans watching.

Reactions: mattropolis
We need to fire Dawkins after this season. I lived in Kansas City and watched the Big 12 tourney year after year. We keep him and expect to be perennial basement dwellers once we join.

With what money?

Dawkins is under contract thru 2024-2025 season so what donor is coming up with $4 Million to tell Dawkins he doesn't have to work anymore and then where will the $15 Million to come from to land a true Big 12 Coach?

TM's focus is on stadium enhancements as that's where all the $$ are going as that is where the nee future revenue stream will be coming from.

TM doesn't have a $15 Million - $20 Million slush fund to fire and hire a new hoop staff.

With what money?

Dawkins is under contract thru 2024-2025 season so what donor is coming up with $4 Million to tell Dawkins he doesn't have to work anymore and then where will the $15 Million to come from to land a true Big 12 Coach?

TM's focus is on stadium enhancements as that's where all the $$ are going as that is where the nee future revenue stream will be coming from.

TM doesn't have a $15 Million - $20 Million slush fund to fire and hire a new hoop staff.
This is a very solid and nuanced response, I appreciate this.

For the record, I’m in favor of a new leader for our basketball program, but you brought up the very sensible and prudent issue here: money. You are absolutely correct, the program doesn’t have near the capital to buyout a coach, and/or hire a new (and better) coach - let alone enough in the budget to do both of those things.

My post from a couple of weeks ago about player development, and how our young players struggle to get significantly better the longer they stay in the program (Adams, Fuller Jr, Johnson Jr, Reynolds), I think should be the primary focus if Dawkins is kept passed this year. Where can we improve as a program when it comes to player development?

I think it’s time for Dawkins to reasses his coaching staff, make a couple changes on the margins with his assistants. I know he’s a very loyal guy to his people, but a few changes could make a significant difference.

The program’s identity has been one of defense and disruption, but the team has nosedived nationally in defensive metrics since Tacko left the program. Not enough offensive execution in the halfcourt, too many turnovers, too many fouls committed.

It’s time to reassess the staff, as well as the identity of the program.

With what money?

If he's going to be around through 24-25, then Johnny needs to step up his game. He is making $1M+/year (and reminder, that's a lot of money) so he needs to figure it out. At least bring more energy and enthusiasm. 99% of America would love to have that challenge. He's had 14 years at Stanford and UCF to get it right. How long does he need?

This is a very solid and nuanced response, I appreciate this.

For the record, I’m in favor of a new leader for our basketball program, but you brought up the very sensible and prudent issue here: money. You are absolutely correct, the program doesn’t have near the capital to buyout a coach, and/or hire a new (and better) coach - let alone enough in the budget to do both of those things.

My post from a couple of weeks ago about player development, and how our young players struggle to get significantly better the longer they stay in the program (Adams, Fuller Jr, Johnson Jr, Reynolds), I think should be the primary focus if Dawkins is kept passed this year. Where can we improve as a program when it comes to player development?

I think it’s time for Dawkins to reasses his coaching staff, make a couple changes on the margins with his assistants. I know he’s a very loyal guy to his people, but a few changes could make a significant difference.

The program’s identity has been one of defense and disruption, but the team has nosedived nationally in defensive metrics since Tacko left the program. Not enough offensive execution in the halfcourt, too many turnovers, too many fouls committed.

Yep...including Johnny, there are 12 on the staff. Once he establishes a winning identity (similar to UCF FB), he's got to get the right staff to make it happen. The question is, does Johnny have the energy and will to make it happen?

Get rid of Men’s soccer and baseball then put that money into basketball. Money should not be an excuse when it’s funding sports that don’t bring in boat loads of money.

Get rid of Men’s soccer and baseball then put that money into basketball. Money should not be an excuse when it’s funding sports that don’t bring in boat loads of money.
Aren't we already at the minimum number of teams necessary? Some FBS or conference standard?

Tackle was a once in a life-time athlete that would change the way opposing offenses played.

And yes, I dont live in video game/twitterverse where most think every team has $$$ galore to make any and every change.

I do think moving to the Big 12 will open up more potential recruits, including more P5 and top g5 transfer portal targets to look at UCF in the coming years.

Also, does TM increase Dawkin's Cosching Staff Pool so he can bring in another new assistant?

It will be interesting to see if N'Daiye, who was hired last July, can bring in more recruits from Senegal and or other good Centers via the portal. (He was at GT that recruited Tacko so hard).

Last edited:
Reactions: UCFhonors
How does the largest university in the country not able to support basketball, soccer, and baseball at the same time? There is schools with less than 5k enrollment that has success.

How does the largest university in the country not able to support basketball, soccer, and baseball at the same time? There is schools with less than 5k enrollment that has success.
ask the guy that said we won’t get a good coach because we don’t have money and we’ve never been good. Therefore, we never will be good. If money was the biggest issue, there are ways to circumvent that. Do we really need a rowing team if we can’t afford a good basketball program? Cross Country?

ask the guy that said we won’t get a good coach because we don’t have money and we’ve never been good. Therefore, we never will be good. If money was the biggest issue, there are ways to circumvent that. Do we really need a rowing team if we can’t afford a good basketball program? Cross Country?
Don't we use the rowing team roster to beef up our sex ratio for title 9?

Don't we use the rowing team roster to beef up our sex ratio for title 9?
If we got rid of Men’s soccer we could get rid of rowing. I’m not actually saying we should do it. I’m just saying if money is the excuse we can save a few million a year by cutting 2 sports.

Could it be the coaching? Just askin'...
That's my point. Largest university shouldn't be woefully under funded that they cannot support the basketball team finacially while smaller schools with smaller TV rights manage to be successful just fine.

However, good thing recovery cove is on track. Maybe basketball team can be lifeguards and can sit outside football games panhandling.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT