ADVERTISEMENT

OK the betting line is open for the question: How long does Dawkins last?

Big East was #1 before UCF actually played in the conference. UCF joined in 2013, after Georgetown, Marquette, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Notre Dame, Villanova and a slew of others left. AAC lost virtually every big basketball program going into 2013.

2012-13 - Big East #2 conference RPI Rank
2013-14 - AAC #8 Big East #4
2014-15 - AAC #8 Big East #3
2015-16 - AAC #8 Big East #4
Yeah, at no point was UCF competing in the #1 basketball conference. What the Big East was when we were invited is not relevant to what the AAC was when we were actually playing in it. Louisville was still in the conference our first year in the AAC, but they left after that season, two years before Dawkins arrived.

As for the GOL comparison, GOL won a conference championship in his fourth season. That buys you a lot of capital. He had them playing in the conference title game in his second season. In Johnny's six seasons, the highest UCF has finished is tied for 3rd (Tacko and B.J.'s senior year). They advanced to the AAC tournament semifinals once, and lost. That was Johnny's first season and they haven't made it out of the quarterfinals since.

There is a large gap between those that support and don't support Dawkins. Those that don't support are ready to move on now, and those that feel he should coach out his contract regardless of performance or given an extension so that he can at least get 3 years in Big 12 to see if he will finish below .500 in the conference.

For a program that has weaker support, little excitement, it will be a bold move to ride this out for a few more years in hopes of a turnaround.

Confirmed: O'Leary was responsible for 13 of the 17.

Kruz was responsible for 3 of the last 4 losses (3-7 record upon firing), with Gooch taking the reins in the final blowout loss of 2003 against #15 Miami (OH).

O'Learly then lost all 11 games of 2004, and 2 to start 2005, before UCF's first C-USA game as a member was a win against Marshall.

I remember loss #16 was against Ye'ole Ball Coach in his first game with South Carolina, and he was quoted as saying he "Wasn't (Didn't) play[ing] a team on a 15 (16?) game losing streak" (paraphrased)

DISCLAIMER: Neither 'research' was done nor 'experts' were harmed in the making of this post, since UCFBS is capable of doing and being neither.
O'Leary did not Coach UCF in their 2004 opener at Wisconsin. He was at his mother's funeral that weekend.

Reactions: UCFBS
O'Leary did not Coach UCF in their 2004 opener at Wisconsin. He was at his mother's funeral that weekend.
Ahhh, that's right. Thanks for the reminder.

I only remembered his heart attack around the holidays 2003-2004 during recruiting, and totally forgot his mother passed at the start of fall 2004. His first year was really bad off-the-field, unrelated to football.

In any case ... O'Leary was the HC for the last 13 of the 17 losses during the streak.

High Basketball IQ in addition to talent....it's the difference between the really good and not so good teams.
We would have had a PG that played 5 years and started 4 of them but didn’t even recruit him. 2 and a half hours away from campus on a team that goes deep into playoffs every year and he goes to Illinois. That’s not good recruiting.

At some point the job becomes undesirable if the program is a cellar dweller in the b12. Like Kansas and Vanderbilt in football. If the aforementioned support and funding is not there and UCF goes into the toughest basketball conference, it's hard to consider this job attractive on top of Florida not being a basketball state in both fans and players.
I agree after a couple seasons in the Big12 UCF will be labeled based on performance in the Big12 especially if they are not competitive. Not saying they need to be number 1, but should be in the top tier

We didn’t want him. He won the game today.

Ah...UCF did offer the 4 star Trent Frazier from South FL...but so did schools from the Big 12, SEC, Big Ten and others like Memphis.

Why in the world would he have taken up on an offer from a losing team in the AAC, ,UCF vs the chance to play in the Big Ten in front of sold-out crowds at every game?

Heck...he committed to Illinois in Aug 2016...just 5 months after Dawkins was hired.

Ah...UCF did offer the 4 star Trent Frazier from South FL...but so did schools from the Big 12, SEC, Big Ten and others like Memphis.

Why in the world would he have taken up on an offer from a losing team in the AAC, ,UCF vs the chance to play in the Big Ten in front of sold-out crowds at every game?

Heck...he committed to Illinois in Aug 2016...just 5 months after Dawkins was hired.
Wrong. He had 11 offers and UCF was not one of them. https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Trent-Frazier-88434/RecruitInterests/

Who cares about Trent Frazier? Why was he a must get, because that’s where you are from lol? Central Florida is one of the strongest regions for HS basketball in the southeast. Montverde Academy, OCP within a close radius. Dr Phillips has a kid going to Kansas, one going to Florida, and one going to Mississippi St. just on their team.

Frazier is a nice player, but there’s a lot of examples of kids in-state that got away for schools across the country.

Reactions: 90Knight
Who cares about Trent Frazier? Why was he a must get, because that’s where you are from lol? Central Florida is one of the strongest regions for HS basketball in the southeast. Montverde Academy, OCP within a close radius. Dr Phillips has a kid going to Kansas, one going to Florida, and one going to Mississippi St. just on their team.

Frazier is a nice player, but there’s a lot of examples of kids in-state that got away for schools across the country.
I know. We didn’t get any of them. That’s the point. Bad recruiting.

• Haha
Reactions: Knight_Light
For the record I'm pretty undecided on Dawkins staying or going. I feel like this years team obviously underperformed, but as a whole he's done ok with what he's has been given.

I think a lot of people here seem to have forgotten all of the investments in the football program that helped to make it what it is today. The basketball program has not made many of those steps yet. Few facility upgrades have been done. The PR and marketing budget has to be low as I've seen very few things related to basketball. That leads to the most important factor to me which is fan involvement. Its nonexistent here. These steps still need to be taken for the program to have the same expectations as football does.

The move to the big 12 isn't going to magically make recruiting better when the recruits can see programs from "lesser" conferences with more invested into thier program. I know the big12 money will help with this, but that's going to take time.

I know. We didn’t get any of them.
Isaish Adams was Mr Basketball in Florida...showed a lot of promise last year but when forced to the bench, has struggled to get in a rhythm this year.

This year (Class of 2022), Dawkins signed 4 star 6' 8" Wing Taylor Hendricks from Ft Lauderdale that a lot of SEC, ACC and Big 12 schools wanted.

Hendricks is a Top 70 National Recruit and I think the highest rated HS recruit ever signed in UCF History.

Excited what Taylor and this twin brother Tyler (Shooting Guard) will do next season.

PS. CJ Walker was a FIVE STAR recruit that came to UCF after just one season at Oregon.

Reactions: UCFhonors
For the record I'm pretty undecided on Dawkins staying or going. I feel like this years team obviously underperformed, but as a whole he's done ok with what he's has been given.

I think a lot of people here seem to have forgotten all of the investments in the football program that helped to make it what it is today. The basketball program has not made many of those steps yet. Few facility upgrades have been done. The PR and marketing budget has to be low as I've seen very few things related to basketball. That leads to the most important factor to me which is fan involvement. Its nonexistent here. These steps still need to be taken for the program to have the same expectations as football does.

The move to the big 12 isn't going to magically make recruiting better when the recruits can see programs from "lesser" conferences with more invested into thier program. I know the big12 money will help with this, but that's going to take time.
then how do you explain the trajectory Coach Abe has w the women’s program w the same facilities and less fan support

then how do you explain the trajectory Coach Abe has w the women’s program w the same facilities and less fan support
Easy...as anyone that follows that sport knows the quality of depth of players varies much greater in comparison to men's basketball programs.

Abe has done a very good job and with UCONN now gone...other teams can finally play for a conf title.

Reactions: UCFhonors
Isaish Adams was Mr Basketball in Florida...showed a lot of promise last year but when forced to the bench, has struggled to get in a rhythm this year.

This year (Class of 2022), Dawkins signed 4 star 6' 8" Wing Taylor Hendricks from Ft Lauderdale that a lot of SEC, ACC and Big 12 schools wanted.

Hendricks is a Top 70 National Recruit and I think the highest rated HS recruit ever signed in UCF History.

Excited what Taylor and this twin brother Tyler (Shooting Guard) will do next season.

PS. CJ Walker was a FIVE STAR recruit that came to UCF after just one season at Oregon.
Adams was Mr Florida but that only counts the FHSAA schools. The real good schools aren’t a part of that. I’ll wait and see what the twins bring next year. If they aren’t good t has to be Dawkins system.

Oh no. You can't blame fan support on a fan site when it's much easier to scapegoat everything on one coach.

#UCFacts

Adams was Mr Florida but that only counts the FHSAA schools. The real good schools aren’t a part of that. I’ll wait and see what the twins bring next year. If they aren’t good t has to be Dawkins system.
OMG...watching Adams is scary. It's almost like he cannot play the caliber of ball that we need. And that pass mistakenly passed right to the defender was the icing on top of the terrible year he's having.

OMG...watching Adams is scary. It's almost like he cannot play the caliber of ball that we need. And that pass mistakenly passed right to the defender was the icing on top of the terrible year he's having.
Yeah I have no idea what he was looking at but he tried blaming the guy he was passing to that was 20 away from where he passed it. He might need contacts.

For those on the side of keeping Dawkins for next year, I would like to hear what you think/ hope will be different next year. We lose 4 scholarship players, who produced 28.7 points per game. We only signed 2 high school players. I have high hopes for Taylor Hendricks, but I believe Tyler is basically a walk on were giving a scholarship to get his brother, he only averaged 5 points per game in HS, I hope he proves me wrong. I also think we lose either Adams or Reynolds, both regressed this year but have a ton of talent, they maybe looking for a change.

We have two players redshirting ( Edwards and Rhodes) and I imagine with at least 2 scholarships available we will go after some transfers. I don’t expect to get super stars but maybe we get lucky.

So many question marks not a lot of evidence that were moving in the right direction. If you have to fire Dawkins after next season you put our new coach in a terrible position with little time to get us ready for the Big 12.

This is the year we crap bed?

We were right there until conference play. In Jan we went 3-5. And Feb we are 4-2. Before Jan we were 9 - 2 with losses to an excellent #3 Auburn team and a loss to Oklahoma which we could have won.

Did your hopes get too high before conference play? Do you underestimate how good the AAC is?

We are sitting at NET #92. We were in the top 50 before conference play.

#UCFacts

Reactions: Knight_Light
For those on the side of keeping Dawkins for next year, I would like to hear what you think/ hope will be different next year. We lose 4 scholarship players, who produced 28.7 points per game. We only signed 2 high school players. I have high hopes for Taylor Hendricks, but I believe Tyler is basically a walk on were giving a scholarship to get his brother, he only averaged 5 points per game in HS, I hope he proves me wrong. I also think we lose either Adams or Reynolds, both regressed this year but have a ton of talent, they maybe looking for a change.

We have two players redshirting ( Edwards and Rhodes) and I imagine with at least 2 scholarships available we will go after some transfers. I don’t expect to get super stars but maybe we get lucky.

So many question marks not a lot of evidence that were moving in the right direction. If you have to fire Dawkins after next season you put our new coach in a terrible position with little time to get us ready for the Big 12.
We could be in trouble next year. With the level of play in the AAC, I don't see anything happening (without some type of Miracle at UCF)

Reactions: UCFBS
We were right there until conference play. In Jan we went 3-5. And Feb we are 4-2. Before Jan we were 9 - 2 with losses to an excellent #3 Auburn team and a loss to Oklahoma which we could have won.

Did your hopes get too high before conference play? Do you underestimate how good the AAC is?

#UCFacts
Memphis is not great but is on bubble. Did they do that much better than us in conference?

#UCFacts
Of course the non-conference record looks good, it’s filled with home games where UCF was favored considerably (non Quad1/Quad2 teams). Winning in Coral Gables was great, but it’s literally the only Q1 win of the season. They’ve beaten no other good teams (non-conf).

Of course conference play is the concern this year. The AAC is a very average conference, and UCF is a middling team (by definition) in an average conference. Losing to Houston/@SMU/@Memphis is not the issue, it’s losing by 20+ to USF (the worst team in the conference, embarrassing), Temple (at home, inexcusable loss), and Wichita State.

An average and wildly inconsistent program in an average conference is going to be non-competitive in the best conference in the country (literally the point of this thread). Does anyone else find “UCFacts” to sound more like alternative facts?

Last edited by a moderator:
If Dawkins is fired this year or next or retires next year expect UCF to go all in on Grant McCasland from North Texas. Took over one of the worst programs in cbb and has transformed them. Beat Purdue last year in tournament. Lost everyone this year and is on a 11 game win streak and has won 20 games again this year. Very unorthodox style as he is all for the junk defenses like a triangle and 2, diamond and one. But it works. Comes from the Scott Drew and Mark Adams tree. defense first mixed with Won at junior college level too.

worked with t-mo at Arkansas State. Would be affordable and grew up in Big 12 area. He’s the perfect candidate to lead us into the big12. He’s a big 12 caliber coach that we can afford and can get. He wants a big 12 job and makes no bones about it. Only concern would be tcu and Kansas state depending on what they do with BW. But mcCasland is a winner and cheap knows big 12 and worked with t mo. I don’t know what else someone wants. I would dump Johnny now just to get him in.

oh and he’s routinely in the top 40 in kenpom something Dawkins has only done once at UCF with donnie’s players

If Dawkins is fired this year or next or retires next year expect UCF to go all in on Grant McCasland from North Texas. Took over one of the worst programs in cbb and has transformed them. Beat Purdue last year in tournament. Lost everyone this year and is on a 11 game win streak and has won 20 games again this year. Very unorthodox style as he is all for the junk defenses like a triangle and 2, diamond and one. But it works. Comes from the Scott Drew and Mark Adams tree. defense first mixed with Won at junior college level too.

worked with t-mo at Arkansas State. Would be affordable and grew up in Big 12 area. He’s the perfect candidate to lead us into the big12. He’s a big 12 caliber coach that we can afford and can get. He wants a big 12 job and makes no bones about it. Only concern would be tcu and Kansas state depending on what they do with BW. But mcCasland is a winner and cheap knows big 12 and worked with t mo. I don’t know what else someone wants. I would dump Johnny now just to get him in.

oh and he’s routinely in the top 40 in kenpom something Dawkins has only done once at UCF with donnie’s players
BuT HOw hOw DOeS grAnT wIn So mUcH whEN NTx hAs nO hIstOry aNd LimITEd bbALl bUdGEt?!?!

Of course the non-conference record looks good, it’s filled with home games where UCF was favored considerably (non Quad1/Quad2 teams). Winning in Coral Gables was great, but it’s literally the only Q1 win of the season. They’ve beaten no other good teams (non-conf).

Of course conference play is the concern this year. The AAC is a very average conference, and UCF is a middling team (by definition) in an average conference. Losing to Houston/@SMU/@Memphis is not the issue, it’s losing by 20+ to USF (the worst team in the conference, embarrassing), Temple (at home, inexcusable loss), and Wichita State.

An average and wildly inconsistent program in an average conference is going to be non-competitive in the best conference in the country (literally the point of this thread). Does anyone else find “UCFacts” to sound more like alternative facts?
excellent points.

UCFacts are NET rankings account for the quality of opponent and location. That means our NET rankings near the 40s in non-conference play was still great even thought it was "filled with home games where UCF was favored considerably (non Quad1/Quad2 teams). "

UCFacts are the AAC is and has always been a high major. The AAC is always around 5-7th best. You're quoting a post with a link that says the AAC is #7th out of 32. UCFacts are average or mode would be 16th out of 32.
UCFacts are most break basketball conferences into thirds Low. Mid. High. Easy math is add 1 to 32 to get 33 which divides easily by 3. High major 1-10. Mid-Major 11-21 Low Major 22- 32.
Those UCFacts says the AAC is an average High Major. Maybe that is what you mean.

Now that we learned a little about college basketball, we can do some speculation. I speculate that you are emotionally compromised and probably had too high of expectations this year. Your UCFeelings are hurt and need a scapegoat. Now that you locked in on Johnny as the scapegoat, there is nothing I can say or no amount of UCFacts that would change your mind.

#UCFacts

:cool:

BuT HOw hOw DOeS grAnT wIn So mUcH whEN NTx hAs nO hIstOry aNd LimITEd bbALl bUdGEt?!?!
excellent points.

You guys sound like Nebraska fans. "Only one coach away. If we just hire Grant McCasland or Scott Frost, then we will be super successful."

Never did I think UCFans would become more insufferable than t-shirt bandwagoners on Soundoff.

Last question, before I leave this thread. Should WVU fire Bob Huggins this year? WVU is 9th in the Big 12 with a miserable 3-12 in conference record.

#UCFacts

You guys sound like Nebraska fans. "Only one coach away. If we just hire Grant McCasland or Scott Frost, then we will be super successful."

Never did I think UCFans would become more insufferable than t-shirt bandwagoners on Soundoff.

Last question, before I leave this thread. Should WVU fire Bob Huggins this year? WVU is 9th in the Big 12 with a miserable 3-12 in conference record.

#UCFacts
Bob Huggins has been to the NCAA's over TWENTY-FIVE some odd times you f*cking rube.

Dawkins - 2!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT