ADVERTISEMENT

OK the betting line is open for the question: How long does Dawkins last?

What are you talking about he might be a first round pick and has the stats to back it up. When did he look terrible???? It's not him that's terrible. Thankfully had a good comeback win last night. But he's a stud.
In the first 8 minutes of 2nd half he didn’t score. He does tend to just go through motions a lot. He must have been told to step it up. He scored 13 the rest of the game.

What are you talking about he might be a first round pick and has the stats to back it up. When did he look terrible???? It's not him that's terrible. Thankfully had a good comeback win last night. But he's a stud.
Yeah, my bad, second half he just took control and got fired up! :) It's like the water boy, johnny needs to get him playing from the start like his ending second half last knight! :)

Reactions: jtGoldenKnights
He needs to take games over. Kentucky guys are just as good. They have help. If Pitino only had 1, that guy would be scoring 30 a game. Hendricks needs to show what he can do. Stop deferring all the time.
True and I believe that confidence will grow. He's 19 and still learning. Maybe a coach that can further instill that confidence in him would help. Not saying Dawkins doesn't but who knows.

Cincy game: UCF look so un-coached. Cincy's big man just waiting uncovered for 3 dunks! UCF looks confused.

And once again, no competent big man.

Hendricks looks lost, no confidence.

If the 3's don't drop, we lose

Refereeing was terrible (like the worst all year) and Dawkins just stands there talking/babbling to himself. Cincy's coach was FIRED UP! All over the court, in their faces!

Reactions: knightraveler
I guess they'll keep Johnny Dawkins as we head into the BIG-12, so as not to rock the boat and to give him a chance recruiting and all. But, I don't see things changing because he's a stick in the mud as far as a motivator and our players don't know the fundamentals. Thoughts?

Reactions: BlakNGoldAllDay
Its going to be a very long year next year between football, basketball and baseball. I don't have too high of hopes for football, given the QB situation. Basketball, please, we might sneak out 3 conference wins next year. Baseball has been consistently disappointing for a long time. How can you be a college in Florida and be so mediocre in baseball? Tons of high school talent to recruit, but we always seem to be middle of the pack in the AAC.

The only thing Dawkins does good is recruit. Look at this year's roster; who is coming back? I don't see Taylor coming back; NBA or he transfers. The coaching is beyond awful, 40-point lead in a game with 5 minutes to go and starters still in. Last night we got murdered because of the man-to-man switching, no adjustments for 17 minutes of the first half. I like Dawkins as a person, but either he is not a very good coach, or his assistants are awful, something needs to change.

The only thing Dawkins does good is recruit. Look at this year's roster; who is coming back? I don't see Taylor coming back; NBA or he transfers. The coaching is beyond awful, 40-point lead in a game with 5 minutes to go and starters still in. Last night we got murdered because of the man-to-man switching, no adjustments for 17 minutes of the first half. I like Dawkins as a person, but either he is not a very good coach, or his assistants are awful, something needs to change.
Recruit what? One good player in what seems to be a 12 year tenure?

Speraw and Jones brought in more exciting and dynamic players....even if we didnt win much.

What's funny about this board is that just 3 weeks ago, ya'll were singing the praises about Dawkins and how exciting and dynamic this team was.

And where are you now???

I haven't been on the Dawkins train ever. But some of you are a little delusional about the expectations for recruiting a UCF. Taylor is an exception, UCF will rarely if ever, get 4 and 5-star players. UCF needs to get lucky with recruiting and be very good in the transfer portal. Even then, if you have a coach like Dawkins that can't motivate or put together a decent game plan, game over.

Yes, anyone can win the lottery if they play. But the chances of UCF getting 4/5 star athletes are improbable. The players UCF is getting are probably as good as it gets for UCF, need a coach that can do more with what they got. Talent wise, I would argue they are as good as anyone in the AAC this year.

The problem we have is Coach Dawkins is under contract for several more years. This contract was after he had that NCAA year and Danny extended his contract. To buy him out would be expensive, and then to retain a new coach would make it even more expensive. It is not like any coach is going to have instant success in that conference They let next year play out and then make a rational decision to see exactly where we are at n our needs to succeed in the Big 12. The monies that would needed to be tendered and extended should we relieve Coach Dawkins is a lot. We need to recruit talented bruisers as we get in this new conference to have any type of success. It is a very physical conference and the best in the country. All of our sports are going to struggle and we need to be patient. It is not like we are going to go in to the conference and have a ton of success in any of the sports. Outside of Houston in basketball I don’t see any of the schools having any type of championship type success in any of the sports. There will be bruises ahead in all of the sports but in time I see Ucf being one of the top in the league. I’d rather do it the right way as we get into the conference looking at long term success then get impatient early and chase are tails for many years

Last edited:
THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^ Exactly! Coaching fundamentals and motivation is not there. I think Johnny is just milking the cow now.

Recruit what? One good player in what seems to be a 12 year tenure?

Speraw and Jones brought in more exciting and dynamic players....even if we didnt win much.

What's funny about this board is that just 3 weeks ago, ya'll were singing the praises about Dawkins and how exciting and dynamic this team was.

And where are you now???
Good points! We got worse as the season went on.

I haven't been on the Dawkins train ever. But some of you are a little delusional about the expectations for recruiting a UCF. Taylor is an exception, UCF will rarely if ever, get 4 and 5-star players. UCF needs to get lucky with recruiting and be very good in the transfer portal. Even then, if you have a coach like Dawkins that can't motivate or put together a decent game plan, game over.
Look at FAU! I was watching them last knight on espn+. Some of those players GOT PAID to go there. There's some serious money in Boca Raton.

We just need to get the runners back. We got Michael Chandler 15 years ago until they found out we were paying kids. That’s allowed now. Just pay them.
FAU is paying those players. And with a good coach they are awesome! Johnny never motivates. My gosh take a damn technical for the team once in a while! Throw a chair like Bobby Knight (just kidding) but, the refs respected BK. The refs seem like they crap all over Johnny.

Reactions: BlakNGoldAllDay
FAU is paying those players. And with a good coach they are awesome! Johnny never motivates. My gosh take a damn technical for the team once in a while! Throw a chair like Bobby Knight (just kidding) but, the refs respected BK. The refs seem like they crap all over Johnny.
I saw one of their players in high school 4 years ago when they played against Wellington. Michael Forrest I think his name is. He was pretty good.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT