ADVERTISEMENT

OK the betting line is open for the question: How long does Dawkins last?

Yes but when voters look at our schedule they see us and 40 other schools with same win loss record relatively. It’s hard to pick only a few of those to give votes to. A win against UH gets us in 25 or so without any other stumbles.

Voters are biased idiots.

When I was having lunch with George before every home game, one question that was always brought up is who he gave his coaches ballot to. Typically it was a random GA from another place who surely voted on their biased views. I would. I'd vote UCF #1 in every poll.

Why anyone would waste 2 seconds talking about Polls are beyond me. They are clickbait for newspapers. Clickbait before the internet.

Seriously, why are you wasting our time on this stupidity?

#UCFacts

Last edited:
Reactions: Knight_Light
As a follower who has criticized Johnny Dawkins on numerous occasions, I must be honest by giving credit where credit is due. This year's schedule has been marginally difficult with good results. UCF could arguably have won all but one game and they were in that one on the road at Houston. Statistically the team is vastly improved in a number of areas, especially on offense. Rebounding is better, FT shooting is excellent as is scoring margin and 3 pt percentage. If there is one area they still need to improve upon, it is shot selection. So, well done guys an coaches.

Glad you can admit the change of heart and are using objective UCFacts.

Most UCFans can't

#UCFacts

The offense actually moves the ball around looking for good shots or driving to basket. The weave is better than 1 pass and shoot or iso and a prayer like years past. Need Darius back. Probably beat Memphis by 10 in regulation if he played.

We had very good talent in previous seaons and underachieved in many of them imo. But this season we seem to have very good depth to go along with great starters. I know Memphis had a few players out but it is still an excellent sign to win with 3 of our starters out. It was a relief to see our bench come in and play at a high level. This is a make of break season for Dawkins imo. There are many aspects to determine if he should be retained. But at some point he has to be accountable. Personally I hope he is successful because he is a good person and the players like him. However, that by itself is not enough of a reason to keep him. My guess is that even if he has a mediocre season UCF will keep him for the first season in the Big12 while they get their footing and shop around.

The offense actually moves the ball around looking for good shots or driving to basket. The weave is better than 1 pass and shoot or iso and a prayer like years past. Need Darius back. Probably beat Memphis by 10 in regulation if he played.
Memphis had way too many layups and we didn't box out very well last knight. Very exciting game though! You can see that we are competing with top programs so it's really amazing!

Reactions: BlakNGoldAllDay
I think the biggest challenge for Dawkins has been the roster turnover, which is in part due to the CBB landscape. A lot more players hopping around, you don't have a reasonably steady roster like you had even 10 years ago where you would see players develop in the program. This season it seems he got the combo right, which is exciting. I don't want to start talking about March yet, a lot of basketball between then and now. Just need to keep grinding out wins and stay healthy as possible.

And this is the thread you thought one bad loss was suited for?

I wish sports and people would stop scapegoating. I mean, having 3 starters out may be the reason for the loss. But no, you want to blame the coach.

#UCFacts
Did I blame coach for the Tulane loss? Or did you just feel like commenting with assumption?

And this is the thread you thought one bad loss was suited for?

I wish sports and people would stop scapegoating. I mean, having 3 starters out may be the reason for the loss. But no, you want to blame the coach.

#UCFacts
Also, did you see our stats for the Tulane game? YES, this bad game was suited for my post.

We lost for a couple of reasons. Previous game was 2OT and our bench is short right now. It was a road game. Our starting backcourt (assuming it was Young and Horton) went 3-22 from the field. Even throwing in Kelly's 5-9 that results in only 8-31 (26%) from the field. We shot a lot of 3's. Tulane shot more than double the amount of FTs...that usually means they were playing more physical/aggressive.

3 of our 5 losses have been on the road or neutral site....road games are tough, and that goes for every team.

BTW, here are the records of the teams we have lost to so far:
UNC Ashville - 14W 6L (6-1); 5 of 6 losses on the road or not at home....road games are tough.
Miami - 15W 3L (6-2); 2 of 3 losses on the road or not at home.
Missouri - 14W 4L (3-3); 3 of 4 losses on the road or not at home.
Houston - 18W 1L (6-0)
Tulane - 12W 6L (5-2); This is strange. They played their first 11 games at home (or at a neutral site?). They have only had 3 road games the entire season so far.

The only other teams we beat with more than a 10 wins so far are Santa Clara, Samford, and Memphis. Santa Clara hasn't played anybody. Samford is also strange. They won their first 6 games, lost the next 7, then have won the last 7. Haven't played much of anybody, and if they did they lost. So it looks like we have gone roughly 3-5 against solid to great competition. We have mainly beat who we should beat, and we have, so that's a good start. I think we need to be at least .500 against good to great competition to make the NCAA tourney. I like this team so far but if they were healthy I'd like them a whole lot more. Durr missing the rest of the season hurts. If Darius misses significant time I don't like our chances of winning many away games.

We lost for a couple of reasons. Previous game was 2OT and our bench is short right now. It was a road game. Our starting backcourt (assuming it was Young and Horton) went 3-22 from the field. Even throwing in Kelly's 5-9 that results in only 8-31 (26%) from the field. We shot a lot of 3's. Tulane shot more than double the amount of FTs...that usually means they were playing more physical/aggressive.

3 of our 5 losses have been on the road or neutral site....road games are tough, and that goes for every team.

UNC Ashville - 14W 6L (6-1); 5 of 6 losses on the road or not at home....road games are tough.
Houston - 18W 1L (6-0)
Tulane - 12W 6L (5-2); This is strange. They played their first 11 games at home (or at a neutral site?). They have only had 3 road games the entire season so far.

The only other teams we beat with more than a 10 wins so far are Santa Clara, Samford, and Memphis. Santa Clara hasn't played anybody. Samford is also strange. They won their first 6 games, lost the next 7, then have won the last 7. Haven't played much of anybody, and if they did they lost. So it looks like we have gone roughly 3-5 against solid to great competition. We have mainly beat who we should beat, and we have, so that's a good start. I think we need to be at least .500 against good to great competition to make the NCAA tourney. I like this team so far but if they were healthy I'd like them a whole lot more. Durr missing the rest of the season hurts. If Darius misses significant time I don't like our chances of winning many away games.
We’ve only had 4 away games too. We are 2-2.

Reactions: UCFhonors

Houston - 18W 1L (6-0)

UCFacts >>>>> UCFeelings.

Great post. Losing Durr and Darius are huge.

#UCFacts

26% is bad right? Shot selection (just throwing up a 3 by Horton) with a full shot clock left is terrible. And possibly bad coaching if he repeats it. Too many high percentage shots around the rim by the opposing team. USF is as good as their record says they are. I understand we have starters out. I guess we have no depth, which we actually did show the other knight. 20 points...ouch. But, we were/are beating the expectations. Need that NIL $$$$ to create some depth.

Whelp we are just not a basketball school. Better to accept reality than to think we won’t be bottom feeders in the B12. We got where we our from our football program. By all means please be optimistic but don't set yourself up for unrealistic expectations.

As an admittedly halfassed follower of UCF basketball, it feels like this is basically like every other season in the past 2 decades with a few exceptions. Start out, maybe some hype, then we have a little streak or win an unexpected game and hype builds up again. Then we lose a few head scratchers, lose in the tourney, don't make it to the big dance. Cue one camp saying to fire Dawkins and the other to say "we just need new recruits/players to gel and develop/etc." Return to step 1.

He’s never really recruited well. NIL isn’t an excuse right now. It’s not the AAC because Houston and Memphis get good players. If he can’t get kids to play in Big 12 it’s definitely him. I don’t know if any high school kids are left to get. I only know of 1 guy that’s coming.
I just don't know anymore but if you compare Houston, better athletes smarter, more passion, less turnovers. How do you get worse as the season goes on unless injury. We need CJ walker back in.

IDK how Dawkins can turn it around in the BIG12 especially if Hendricks leaves for the NBA. He can't even compete in the American.

IDK how Dawkins can turn it around in the BIG12 especially if Hendricks leaves for the NBA. He can't even compete in the American.
I doubt he’ll turn it around. We are going into Big 12 and he only signed a decent HS kid. I don’t know why he only signs a couple kids every year. Then brings in 6 transfers. There has to be a bunch of 3 star instate kids that aren’t being brought in.

I doubt he’ll turn it around. We are going into Big 12 and he only signed a decent HS kid. I don’t know why he only signs a couple kids every year. Then brings in 6 transfers. There has to be a bunch of 3 star instate kids that aren’t being brought in.
Yup, I believed in Dawkins especially at the start of the year but not much anymore. You can point to injuries but the basic play has just regressed. They turn the ball over with too much sloppy play.

Reactions: BlakNGoldAllDay
Every year we have extensive injuries that destroy the season. Could it be a strength and conditioning problem within the program?

I'm sure our wiz-kid beat writers will find out.

Forget the dawkins line… whats the over/under on conference wins next year??? I say 4

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT