ADVERTISEMENT

Op-Ed in "The Atlantic": Take advantage of a "Golden" opportunity & invite UCF to the B12.

thespiritof1976

Bronze Knight
Oct 17, 2017
Sorry for there being a paywall but it sounds like the sports media is starting to come around....

"In 2016, the Big 12’s commissioner, presidents and ADs wasted many months meeting with consultants, meeting with prospective expansion candidates and meeting with each other, all to eventually decide to stand pat at 10 teams. It was a shortsighted decision then, and it sure looks like a missed opportunity now, given the fact that one of the applicants was UCF.

UCF, with its top-20 TV market and rich Florida recruiting base, had the feel of a sleeping giant even before those deliberations, but now, the Knights have won 25 consecutive games. UCF is about to play in its third BCS or New Year’s Six bowl in the span of six seasons. It’s dramatically elevated its program’s national profile and will only amplify it further should it knock off LSU in the Jan. 1 Fiesta Bowl (and possibly raise a “national championship” banner for the second consecutive year)."

https://theathletic.com/706227/2018/12/11/big-12-expansion-ucf-football/

(FWIW, I believe there is a FF add-on that can bypass paywalls)

giphy.gif

Please oh please oh please make this happen and for USF to be left out...
Quite simply, Big XII could just invite UCF... no one else. B1G commissioner Delany has stated that B1G is looking to eliminate divisions. Big XII already started having a Championship game without divisions. Big Ten had 11 schools for about 20 years.

But if UCF gets invited with a partner, I think it should be Cincinnati.

Quite simply, Big XII could just invite UCF... no one else. B1G commissioner Delany has stated that B1G is looking to eliminate divisions. Big XII already started having a Championship game without divisions. Big Ten had 11 schools for about 20 years.

That's a tough one. Cinci definitely has the most upside IMHO, but with Houston being a Texas lovefest and Memphis growing balls in football as well as a solid bball program you could make a strong case for either 3.

I think I'd rather be paired with Memphis bc bbq>chili

but it would probably be UCF -Cinci bc it would be a bridge for WVU in the Big12

Anybody but USF. It would be epic meltdown down south, or west or wherever they’re located.

Reactions: Thelogic
The funny thing is that no one in the bulls' pen has even mentioned this. Weird.

Last edited:

No BS from West Central Florida!

Big 12 can rumor to expand all they want, end of the day it’s Texas and Oklahoma who will call the shots and both those schools think like SEC entitled programs. Neither one of those schools is going to take less revenue to add UCF, Cincinnati or just about any other non Blue Blood program. It’s doubtful that the next TV contract for B12 would increase based on the addition of UCF and another AAC school. If anything was forced , Texas and Oklahoma would then demand an unfair share until next TV contract or bolt for SEC...

I don’t really know what the solution is but nothing indicates a jump to the Big 12 is likely anytime soon, and if one does occur it’s unlikely Texas and Oklahoma would remain as members.

Big 12 can rumor to expand all they want, end of the day it’s Texas and Oklahoma who will call the shots and both those schools think like SEC entitled programs. Neither one of those schools is going to take less revenue to add UCF, Cincinnati or just about any other non Blue Blood program. It’s doubtful that the next TV contract for B12 would increase based on the addition of UCF and another AAC school. If anything was forced , Texas and Oklahoma would then demand an unfair share until next TV contract or bolt for SEC...

I don’t really know what the solution is but nothing indicates a jump to the Big 12 is likely anytime soon, and if one does occur it’s unlikely Texas and Oklahoma would remain as members.
source.gif

Reactions: GoKnights2003

Adding UCF doesnt mean UT and OU have to take less in the current tv deal. ESPN would have to pay more. That was addressed back when schools were submitting presentations to the Big 12.

Reactions: tribbleorlfl
I think I'd rather be paired with Memphis bc bbq>chili

but it would probably be UCF -Cinci bc it would be a bridge for WVU in the Big12

2nd team in Ohio and Florida. That would be a lot of eye balls and great recruiting territory.

Adding UCF doesnt mean UT and OU have to take less in the current tv deal. ESPN would have to pay more. That was addressed back when schools were submitting presentations to the Big 12.

Correct, ESPN is not paying more for UCF or any other AAC team, if expansion happens the existing pie will need to be cut thinner or UCF and the other AAC school would have to agree taking peanuts until the next media deal. None of which I see happening. UCF's best play would be to negotiate with the AAC and agree to a grant of rites if the money is 2-3 times more, but that agreement should also expire when the next round of TV contract negotiations begin. A 10 year deal with the AAC would be horrible.

Reactions: Knight Strength
Correct, ESPN is not paying more for UCF or any other AAC team, if expansion happens the existing pie will need to be cut thinner or UCF and the other AAC school would have to agree taking peanuts until the next media deal. None of which I see happening. UCF's best play would be to negotiate with the AAC and agree to a grant of rites if the money is 2-3 times more, but that agreement should also expire when the next round of TV contract negotiations begin. A 10 year deal with the AAC would be horrible.
That defeats the entire purpose of why they want to create a grant of rights in the first place. We need to hold out for P5 unless we have exhausted all possibilities of not getting into a P5 conference. And let’s all pray to God that never happens.

Do not sign. I have a feeling Danny White is already making moves on P5. He’s been too quiet lately, not like him.

Correct, ESPN actually bribed the Big 12 to not expand. Paid each school(conference) a couple of million.
Dirty stuff it was....

Reactions: LemmyKilmister
Outside of Texas (28 million people) they have:

Iowa (3.1 million)
Kansas (2.9 million
Oklahoma (3.9 million)
West Virginia (1.8 million)

Florida (21.3 million)
Ohio (11.6 million)

Not sure what they are thinking.

The days of the Big12 are nearing an end. Texas and Oklahoma will be poached by 2023 and the rest of the conference will suffer the same fate as the Big East. This may sound strange, but the best shot UCF has for joining a p5 is the Big10, as they are the only forward thinking conference out there in regard to media markets

Memphis couldn't get past the 1st "pretend" round in the last Big 12 wankfest. Correct?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT