ADVERTISEMENT

PAC 12 schools meeting with BIG 12?

This is about P5 going to P4 which others have talked about in past. This is the Big12 turn to officially kick some dirt in PAC12 face as the PAC12 has desired to do the same to the Big12.
However, the Big 12 has been a better conference in recent years than the PAC12 and doing the dirt kicking for some time. Now everybody is seeing it by these schools going to the Big12 which will become the 3rd best conference behind SEC and Big10. Nacho Libre --> approves this message :)

arent-you-tired-of-getting-dirt-kicked-in-your-face.jpg

That doesn't sound good for the Pac 12. Big 12 merger is dead. ACC merger is looking underwhelming in monetary value. My guess is that the higher ups in the Pac and Big 12 know what the next Pac 12 media rights is going to be worth. From the tone of the article, it doesn't sound good for the Pac 12. If you are the Big 12 you can add 4-6 schools that your media partner is willing to pay for without bringing on dead weight/potential headaches. If the ACC falls apart somewhere down the road you save a few spots for schools that draw eyeballs. Sad for Wash St. They actually get TV viewership for their games.

Li
That doesn't sound good for the Pac 12. Big 12 merger is dead. ACC merger is looking underwhelming in monetary value. My guess is that the higher ups in the Pac and Big 12 know what the next Pac 12 media rights is going to be worth. From the tone of the article, it doesn't sound good for the Pac 12. If you are the Big 12 you can add 4-6 schools that your media partner is willing to pay for without bringing on dead weight/potential headaches. If the ACC falls apart somewhere down the road you save a few spots for schools that draw eyeballs. Sad for Wash St. They actually get TV viewership for their games.
A little more insight to the NO merger story. Still a greenlight for the Big 12 to take teams from the PAC. when that happens the dominos will fall with the rest of the teams left.

Reactions: Knight Strength
I think opening up media negotiations early will turn out to be a mistake for them. Nike is on the phone to Big10, SEC, and any media outlet that will take his call. Plus we are actively going after 4 other teams. In addition they just lost their biggest media market and their viewership was bad before. How can broadcasters give them a big contract with all that risk?

Plus, it looks like the PAC has no exit fees currently, which would encourage movement out.

I think opening up media negotiations early will turn out to be a mistake for them. Nike is on the phone to Big10, SEC, and any media outlet that will take his call. Plus we are actively going after 4 other teams. In addition they just lost their biggest media market and their viewership was bad before. How can broadcasters give them a big contract with all that risk?

Plus, it looks like the PAC has no exit fees currently, which would encourage movement out.
Wow! If this last line is true, it could/should be a very significant factor in the B12 acquiring those schools. Kind of a no-brainer for those schools IMO.
The general consensus from almost everything I’ve read seems to point to the PAC12 being a severely wounded conference. They have a lot of uncertainty and significantly more apprehension than the B12 at this juncture.

I would think Arizona would want to lock something up ASAP as they are in a position that if the Pac10 as it stands now folds, they could get left out as undesirable. Let’s be honest, their football has a long history of being terrible and basketball isn’t driving the TV money.
Yea if it gets to the point where Oregon, Washington, or other bigger brands join there's a chance the four corner schools get left out.

Reactions: knight_tracker
Yea if it gets to the point where Oregon, Washington, or other bigger brands join there's a chance the four corner schools get left out.
True. I feel like Wa and Or are the only ones with some leverage to sit back and wait. I feel like they are just going to wait it out as they know the Big 12 will take them whenever they want to jump, no matter who comes or doesn’t.

Always smart to reserve your deck chair early.......even if it says Titanic on the back of it.....LOL

I really think we would take all six with the understanding O might leave early on. I don’t think the B10 has any real interest in Wash. If ND joins, they take just O. If not, I think they take Stanford and O.

True. I feel like Wa and Or are the only ones with some leverage to sit back and wait. I feel like they are just going to wait it out as they know the Big 12 will take them whenever they want to jump, no matter who comes or doesn’t.
I've seen some advocating for Stanford because of the total number of NCs they've won.

Another reason for Stanford is the academics and the B10 does pay attention to that.
It remains to be seen but when Notre Dame joins the B1G, I believe you've hit upon one of the reasons why Stanford, not Oregon or Washington, is the most likely to be invited to join the Irish if anyone does.

Reactions: muckdawg24
It remains to be seen but when Notre Dame joins the B1G, I believe you've hit upon one of the reasons why Stanford, not Oregon or Washington, is the most likely to be invited to join the Irish if anyone does.
Agree. I really think ND will get the $$ from NBC and it will be a moot point.

Reactions: FoxKnight
Alot of chatter on Notre Dame and the Big 12 getting a deal with NBC. 75 mil. This could put the Big 12 as the third best paid conference. Who would of thought UCF to the Big 12 could be financially better than the ACC media deal.
Pardon my skepticism but I have a really hard time believing Notre Dame can jump from $15 million annually to $75 million -- while remaining independent??? To achieve those kind of numbers in some kind of 'association' with the Big XII would mean that the conference schools are willing to give ND a much bigger piece of their TV contract pie in order to give the Irish the dollars they're asking for.

While ND would certainly bring the conference some status, is it really worth it to UCF and the other schools to give the Irish a sweetheart deal by member schools cutting their own shares of the next contract?

The B1G and SEC numbers being mentioned since the OU/TX and USC/UCLA deals are all north of $75 million. The Irish joining either of those big two escalates the individual school shares from the next TV contract even higher.

Last edited:
Pardon my skepticism but I have a really hard time believing Notre Dame can jump from $15 million annually to $75 million -- while remaining independent??? To achieve those kind of numbers in some kind of 'association' with the Big XII would mean that the conference schools are willing to give ND a much bigger piece of their TV contract pie in order to give the Irish the dollars they're asking for.

While ND would certainly bring the conference some status, is it really worth it to UCF and the other schools to give the Irish a sweetheart deal by member schools cutting their own shares of the next contract?

The B1G and SEC numbers being mentioned since the OU/TX and USC/UCLA deals are all north of $75 million. The Irish joining either of those big two escalates the individual school shares from the next TV contract even higher.
I fully agree, the good thing about this the Big 12 now has 4 networks wanting to bid on content. ND would definitely get the bigger cut with NBC. I still see them going to the Big 10 when the music stops

Depends... For example, 60% of $75mil > 100% of $7mil

I would think Arizona would want to lock something up ASAP as they are in a position that if the Pac10 as it stands now folds, they could get left out as undesirable. Let’s be honest, their football has a long history of being terrible and basketball isn’t driving the TV money.
Basketball in the Big 12 is going to be brutal, but fun to watch courtside. Yikes, you throw in Arizona….yikes.

I listened to a Notre Dame reporter who quoted the Notre Dame president as saying the only reason they would leave being independent would be 1 - - they couldn't get into the playoff (playoffs are not leaving ND out) or 2 - the money would have to beat their current arrangement (not happening without some type of sweetheart agreement). Outside of those scenarios ND has no reason to join the Big 1G.

Reactions: Stormthecourt?
Not a BB fan, but do you think there's any way we'll ever compete? See success?

I think there is always a chance. If you get lucky with a couple players, that’s enough to take a team from mediocre to competitive or even great.

Quick turnarounds are a lot more feasible than football.

MHver3 Interview:

Personally I think this guy's the real deal.

Last edited:
I fully agree, the good thing about this the Big 12 now has 4 networks wanting to bid on content. ND would definitely get the bigger cut with NBC. I still see them going to the Big 10 when the music stops
Nd deal will have nothing to do with any B12 deal. They work together but are separate. 75mil is about what ND would get in Big, maybe a bit less. But lets be real ND like Oh State and Mich would be schools earning money for Rutgers, Iowa and others who are worth less. B12 will not make what ND will, but they don't need to. Instead of 10+ mil per game B12 could take $6mil and still come out just fine. The B12 isn't going to get SEC/BIG/ND money.

Reactions: Stormthecourt?
Read on another thread that Colorado and Arizona are far closer to joining the B12 than the other schools.

The question is, if only those two schools are willing to join......should we take them?

I would really question the value add. Maybe it works if we also grab two of Boise St, Memphis, or SMU.

Read on another thread that Colorado and Arizona are far closer to joining the B12 than the other schools.

The question is, if only those two schools are willing to join......should we take them?

I would really question the value add. Maybe it works if we also grab two of Boise St, Memphis, or SMU.
Please reread what you posted. Turn down AZ and CO and take Boise, Memphis or SMU? No chance. The former would expand the leagues footprint and that’s all media companies care about.

Please reread what you posted. Turn down AZ and CO and take Boise, Memphis or SMU? No chance. The former would expand the leagues footprint and that’s all media companies care about.
Not to mention it’s already been floating around about how the Big12 is made up of 1/4 “G5” teams now. I know that’s BS, but I don’t think the Big12 wants anymore when there are P5 brands out there with better markets and more to maybe follow. That’s why we are SOOO lucky with the timing of this all and the Big12 invite.

No one has any direct sources, so view this as only a possibility. I don't expect any movement until after Aug 1st.

You are the one that needs to re-read. The question is:

1. Do you take Az and Co by themselves and go to 14?
2. Do you take those two schools alone and add 2 others to get to 16?
3. Do you stay with 12 because #1 or #2 don’t add enough value?

My take is Az and Co by themselves are not a big enough add to fuel further expansion #3

MHver3 Interview:

Personally I think this guy's the real deal.
I'm more convinced this week too

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT