ADVERTISEMENT

PAC 12 schools meeting with BIG 12?

Like the idea of going to 16 right now and when the ACC winds up in turmoil (Notre Dame, Clemson, etc leaving) you have a chance at snagging a few of those east coast teams to help balance the league out.
Investors like room for growth...even better when filling in "common sense" puzzle pieces. Grab Georgia Tech, NC State...

Reactions: Knight59 and tjb74

Like the idea of going to 16 right now and when the ACC winds up in turmoil (Notre Dame, Clemson, etc leaving) you have a chance at snagging a few of those east coast teams to help balance the league out.
Question. Let’s say the ACC loses Clemson, Florida State, Miami, and North Carolina. Would UCF have interest in joining the ACC (along with Cincinnati and WVU) and be in a much better geographical conference?

Reactions: Stormthecourt?
Question. Let’s say the ACC loses Clemson, Florida State, Miami, and North Carolina. Would UCF have interest in joining the ACC (along with Cincinnati and WVU) and be in a much better geographical conference?

I think this scenario is very likely. Not sure who exactly would be going to the BIG XII though from the ACC. If BIG XII goes to 16 and the ACC loses Notre Dame, Clemson, Miami, FSU, North Carolina etc. then the BIG XII becomes the one doing the picking off of the ACC.

I for one would not. I always thought the ACC was a weak conference to begin with outside of Clemson. If they lost all that, the only thing appealing about the ACC is it’s more regional, but weak as hell. I would rather see the Big12 take advantage of the Pac12 disarray by adding some from there and maybe add some ACC teams if they lose those members mention, if that ever happens. For instance, adding a Pitt, GT, NC State, VT would be somewhat ideal in my mind.

Reactions: Knight59

I think this scenario is very likely. Not sure who exactly would be going to the BIG XII though from the ACC. If BIG XII goes to 16 and the ACC loses Notre Dame, Clemson, Miami, FSU, North Carolina etc. then the BIG XII becomes the one doing the picking off of the ACC.
Yeah, at that point I’d rather just prefer Pitt to drop football and go back to the Big East. Maybe Boston College and Syracuse would join us.

Oh forgot about Louisville. Maybe them over NC State? Either or…

This is why the ACC has to make a move, and that makes me nervous. They know they will be the next target.

Reactions: UCFGrad05

wow, that would be impossibly tough in basketball if we can't recruit at a significantly higher level.

This is why the ACC has to make a move, and that makes me nervous. They know they will be the next target.
If we don’t, we’re toast. If Notre Dame bolts for the Big Ten, and the SEC and Big 12 raid us, we’d be left with something like this:

- Boston College
- Duke
- Pittsburgh
- Syracuse
- Virginia
- Wake Forest

Has the makings of a solid basketball conference, not so much for football. How would we even respond at that point?

Here's what I'm hearing.

Big 10 wants Notre Dame.

If Notre Dame goes to Big 10, then Big 10 wants Stanford, Oregon and Washington.

If Notre Dame goes to ACC. Then, Big 10 wants Oregon and Washington. Stanford and Cal go independent. Oregon State and Washington State join MWC or merge with Big 12.

Big 12 going to end up with Arizona schools, Colorado, and Utah and maybe Wash St. and Or St.

Last edited:
Here's what I'm hearing.

Big 10 wants Notre Dame.

If Notre Dame goes to Big 10, then Big 10 wants Stanford, Oregon and Washington.

If Notre Dame goes to ACC. Then, Big 10 wants Oregon and Washington. Stanford and Cal go independent. Oregon State and Washington State join MWC or merge with Big 12.

Big 12 going to end up with Arizona schools, Colorado, and Utah and maybe Wash St. and Or St.
Oregon State and Washington State join MWC . That would be bad for the AAC no longer the big dog in G4

Oregon State and Washington State join MWC . That would be bad for the AAC no longer the big dog in G4
I don’t feel like the AAC is the big dog in the G5 as it is. The MWC or Sunbelt are both ahead of them with the departures of the AAC.

Looks like the BIG 10 may have a couple silent commits.
I'm sure Oregon and Washington have their hearts set on the Big 10 right now, but if the Big 12 brings in the Arizona teams, Colorado and Utah and there's no Pac-12 to go back to, and the Big 10 offer still isn't coming in, I'd have to think there'd be a change of tune.

Reactions: tjb74
Here's what I'm hearing.

Big 10 wants Notre Dame.

I would like to see us grab Arizona, ASU, Utah, I guess Colorado from the PAC 12. Then if we expand further I would like to see us get 2 schools from the ACC after the SEC and Big 10 raid them. Maybe NC State, Pitt, either of the Virginia teams. That would give the Big 12 a national exposure and give us some regional schools to lessen travel. I don’t think Washington State or Oregan State do anything to strengthen the national appeal or give inroads to recruiting.

Last edited:
What to watch out for in the coming days.

The Pac 12 could go after 4 or more Big 12 schools (Pac expands into Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas or Iowa).

The Big 12 could go after 4 or more Pac-12 schools.

The ACC could go after 2 or more Big 12 schools.

The ACC is still a stable Conference and will go hunting with Conference Commish Jim Phillips (formally with the Big Ten).

Why (IMHO)

The ACC is totally tied committed to ESPN and vice versa via its broadcast contract and ACC Network for the next 10 years. The SEC and ACC are exclusive with ESPN. ESPN will do what is in ESPN's best interest.

The ACC has the GOR's which expire in 2035.

The Big Ten may sign an exclusive contract with Fox Sports which will exclude ESPN televising its games, stay tuned. ESPN will need the Sports Content of the ACC Conference to compete with Fox Sports. ESPN will not do anything to diminish the marketability of the ACC. Adding additional schools can open up the ACC/ESPN contract.

I suspect the ACC and ESPN will have discussions going forward regarding current events.

The SEC and B1G will remain at 16 teams in the near term.

Will the Pac 12 and Big 12 both survive in the near term.

Stay Tuned.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Last edited:
Zero chance the PAC 12 raids the B12. PAC is very unstable right now and every PAC school is looking for an exit.

Washington and Oregon believe they have a good shot at the B10...and probably do.

Because of that, Arizona, Arizona St, Utah and Colorado have ALREADY reached out to the B12.

Washington St and Oregon St probably have as well, but I don't think the B12 would be interested.

Zero chance the PAC 12 raids the B12. PAC is very unstable right now and every PAC school is looking for an exit.

Washington and Oregon believe they have a good shot at the B10...and probably do.

Because of that, Arizona, Arizona St, Utah and Colorado have ALREADY reached out to the B12.

Washington St and Oregon St probably have as well, but I don't think the B12 would be interested.
To your point, I think the movements have been made.

I bet they were in motion 9 months ago. Call it a gut-feeling.

Anyone think there is merit to OK State leaving to SEC or somewhere else? ACC?

Sure can’t wait for all this to be over and see where we land and who are conference mates are.

Reactions: Knight59
Anyone think there is merit to OK State leaving to SEC or somewhere else? ACC?

Sure can’t wait for all this to be over and see where we land and who are conference mates are.

I think anyone would jump on an SEC or BIG 10 offer including us. ACC may wind up on the ropes soon so I don’t think OK St. would jump on that offer.
All this reminds me of Squid Game when they were jumping on the glass hoping it wasn’t a piece that will break. BIG XII at this moment looks like a good piece of glass to be on. 😂

I think anyone would jump on an SEC or BIG 10 offer including us. ACC may wind up on the ropes soon so I don’t think OK St. would jump on that offer.
All this reminds me of Squid Game when they were jumping on the glass hoping it wasn’t a piece that will break. BIG XII at this moment looks like a good piece of glass to be on. 😂
I agree completely. I’m hoping that the “SEC wants OK State” rumor is nonsense. Because they’d be stupid not to go.

Reactions: Knight Strength
I’m hoping that the “SEC wants OK State” rumor is nonsense. Because they’d be stupid not to go.
Don't worry. If the SEC had wanted Okie State, they'd have taken them when they took OU and Texas. The Cowboys offer the SEC nothing that's worth a future $95M share.

Reactions: Stormthecourt?

The B12 was very unstable after Texas and Oklahoma declared with teams reaching out to other conferences.

PAC12 teams only have two options fortify their conference or go to B12. B12 and Pac12 teams are stuck because the two big conferences are not interested. ACC picking up west coast teams would be pretty ridiculous.

PAC12 and B12 teams are weighing their options to determine best deal. Pac12 teams are not going to just jump if they are going to financially lose for multiple years, they are not coming from a G5, they have bigger budgets.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT