ADVERTISEMENT

PAC 12 schools meeting with BIG 12?

Listening to John Skipper talk on the LeBatard show a few days ago, it would make zero sense for the SEC to add FSU.

The conferences make money off of TV, but based on the states they have because of the contracting in that state. You would not add another team from the same state unless it was overwhelmingly obvious to do so.

That's why UCF was so important to the Big 12 because it gets them into Florida.

The SEC currently has 14 teams, and their current contract (for example purposes) is around $3billion.

Each team would get roughly $214M from this TV deal.

When the SEC adds Oklahoma and Texas, because they are not in those states, they get new TV contracts in the states of Oklahoma and Texas, adding satellites and such and bringing additional money into the contract.

In this scenario, all 16 current SEC schools would get roughly $214M from this TV deal with the chance for added incentives in a new market.

Now, lets say they add Clemson and Miami (because let's be real they'll take Miami before FSU). Now they'd have 18 teams - but no new TV deal structures (because the SEC is already in the state of South Carolina and Florida)

In this scenario, the 18 teams would make roughly $194M from this TV deal with only added incentives from Oklahoma and Texas.

For this reason, the most important thing for the Big12 is to get Utah, Colorado, Arizona (although you'd be adding 2 teams, seems they are a package deal and that is unavoidable), Washington, Oregon.

If you miss on Washington and Oregon, getting Wash St and Oregon St are equally as valuable from a TV perspective (but you don't need all 4).

Reactions: Knight Strength

Reactions: Knight Strength
Oregon +150….the same as Notre Dame?
Ridiculous.

It’s ND with everybody else having astronomical odds.
I’d like to know why Cincinnati is suddenly the most desirable of the G5s? We did the exact thing the 3years prior to their run but we get no notice. No guarantee they’ll be the hottest team this year.

Reactions: 80'sKnight
I’d like to know why Cincinnati is suddenly the most desirable of the G5s? We did the exact thing the 3years prior to their run but we get no notice. No guarantee they’ll be the hottest team this year.
Umm Ohio is a new state for the conference

Oregon +150….the same as Notre Dame?
Ridiculous.

It’s ND with everybody else having astronomical odds.
Keep in mind, the point is to get people to bet, so I don’t think there is any intentional bias beyond that. Also, it’s odds they join, not how desirable is the school. ND is equally likely to stay independent. Every other school would immediately say yes (assuming they can exit their conference.)

Cinci will fall off this year. QB play being the most important. The reason they are getting better recruits and are media darlings is their coach didn’t leave. Ours did.

Reactions: knight_tracker
Little confused. What state is The Ohio State University in? Was pretty sure Ohio.

Same reason why talks of FSU to SEC, not because they need it. Because they keep B10 from being in heart of SEC country.

Listening to John Skipper talk on the LeBatard show a few days ago, it would make zero sense for the SEC to add FSU.

The conferences make money off of TV, but based on the states they have because of the contracting in that state. You would not add another team from the same state unless it was overwhelmingly obvious to do so.

That's why UCF was so important to the Big 12 because it gets them into Florida.

The SEC currently has 14 teams, and their current contract (for example purposes) is around $3billion.

When the SEC adds Oklahoma and Texas, because they are not in those states, they get new TV contracts in the states of Oklahoma and Texas, adding satellites and such and bringing additional money into the contract.

In this scenario, all 16 current SEC schools would get roughly $214M from this TV deal with the chance for added incentives in a new market.

Now, lets say they add Clemson and Miami (because let's be real they'll take Miami before FSU). Now they'd have 18 teams - but no new TV deal structures (because the SEC is already in the state of South Carolina and Florida)

In this scenario, the 18 teams would make roughly $194M from this TV deal with only added incentives from Oklahoma and Texas.

For this reason, the most important thing for the Big12 is to get Utah, Colorado, Arizona (although you'd be adding 2 teams, seems they are a package deal and that is unavoidable), Washington, Oregon.

If you miss on Washington and Oregon, getting Wash St and Oregon St are equally as valuable from a TV perspective (but you don't need all 4).
A lot of that is only true if your conference has a cable/satellite distributed conference network like the SEC/B1G/PAC12. Carriage fees paid to ESPN (SEC), Fox (B10) and PAC 12 (they run their own network) for those conference networks is the only thing that increases.

Other than that, it is just how many TV viewers each school can bring to the table to increase advertising revenue. So in your example, Oregon state and Washington State do not bring in enough revenue to divide the pie into an extra two slices. That's why pretty much everyone in the industry says those two schools are out of luck if the PAC12 crumbles.

The SEC already had Texas A&M. So they were in Texas.

They already are in Texas. not OLK. The difference is UT is the king of Texas, just like the Swamp beast, are here in Fla.

Reactions: DaShuckster
News outlets are still carrying the story on Oregon and Washington advising the Big 12 to leave them out, because of geography. That could get interesting and humbling.
https://www.heartlandcollegesports....void-oregon-washington-over-geography-report/

Last edited:
News outlets are still carrying the story on Oregon and Washington advising the Big 12 to leave them out, because of geography. That could get interesting and humbling.
If true, they are banking on an invite at some point. Risky, but may pay off for them if b10 calls. I want b12 to set sights on the 4 corners first, acc next

If true, they are banking on an invite at some point. Risky, but may pay off for them if b10 calls.
Or it could leave them high and dry and royally screwed when the Pac 12 folds and the B1G politely says, 'uh, thanks guys, but no thanks.'

There may come a time when those two come knocking on the Big XII's door saying, "Hiya, Sweetie. Remember us?"

Or it could leave them high and dry and royally screwed when the Pac 12 folds and the B1G politely says, 'uh, thanks guys, but no thanks.'

There may come a time when those two come knocking on the Big XII's door saying, "Hiya, Sweetie. Remember us?"
If it all shakes out how it seems to be shaking out, it will be either Big 12 or MWC. That will be a big pay cut and perception via media and recruiting hit. They may say no now, which is fine, but I’m the end they may need the Big 12 and have little to no leverage at that time.

Reactions: DaShuckster

Thats the risk/reward i speak of….it might be blind hubris.

Adding all of those schools far outweighs losing OU and UT....Hoping this actually goes through. The BIG12 would be the 2nd/3rd strongest super-conference.
There is not anyway the B12 becomes a significant player here.
They have lost Nebraska, Colorado, Missouri, aTm, OU, and Texas.

There is no possible way the midgets and misfits can add any single team to replace even Missouri, much less 3 blue blood programs.
Adding many to replace one only dilutes everything.

I grew up in Lincoln.
I have spent many hours inside a University classroom, just never got a degree.
I chose to leave Ft Collins in May of 1984 to go to Alaska. My dream, now my life.

Carry on making fun of me, it is amusing to watch from a distance.

There is no possible way the midgets and misfits can add any single team to replace even Missouri, much less 3 blue blood programs.

I grew up in Lincoln.
I chose to leave Ft Collins in May of 1984 to go to Alaska. My dream, now my life.

Sure thing t shirt fan

Reactions: Shark19
Sure thing t shirt fan
I have lived a dream on an island in the North Pacific for 34 years. 4 years earlier in Fairbanks. Dreamed of living here as a kid, made it by 24.
Never have regretted a minute of my life in Alaska.

You will never get “it”, in so many ways.

I grew up in Lincoln.

I think it’s funny that you think Nebraska, Colorado, and Missouri move the needle in 2022. It’s easy to sit on ancient success and launch arrows from a distance when you know almost nothing about who you have decided to critique. You’re kind of a big joke, to be honest.

I have lived a dream on an island in the North Pacific for 34 years. 4 years earlier in Fairbanks. Dreamed of living here as a kid, made it by 24.
Never have regretted a minute of my life in Alaska.

You will never get “it”, in so many ways.
Lol. Let me guess, you’re Bill Gates.

i lives my dream of being Elon Musk by age 23

I think it’s funny that you think Nebraska, Colorado, and Missouri move the needle in 2022. It’s easy to sit on ancient success and launch arrows from a distance when you know almost nothing about who you have decided to critique. You’re kind of a big joke, to be honest.
You just don’t “get it”. He “made it” by age 24 bro

• Haha
Reactions: Shark19

I grew up in Lincoln.

I would objectively take UCF over 4 on this list. Only Texas and OU would be better value over next 10-20years.

Nebraska had their time. It seems you have enjoyed it.

I would imagine in a world of cord cutting, cable boxes won't be the primary way for cable companies like ESPN to make money. I'm not an industry insider, but Im pretty sure advertising and streaming will be where they make their money. I would think if the SEC added Clemson, UNC, FSU and Miami/or one of the VA schools, their Saturday lineup would beat anything on TV. Think about the matchups on a weekly basis- OU vs Bama, Texas vs LSU, Florida vs Clemson, FSU vs Auburn, Georgia vs Miami. They would be able to get 3 or 4 huge matchups each week (huge in terms of brand). Also, adding these schools, you could probably squeeze a few more dollars out for cable fees. I did a little digging and you are correct, as of 2018 (the most recent info I could find on a quick search) ESPN made over $8 billion in affiliate fees vs 2.3 in advertising and another .5 billion in streaming. I would argue that more and more people are cutting the cord in the last 3-4 years, so those numbers may be different in 2022 and going forward.

I would imagine in a world of cord cutting, cable boxes won't be the primary way for cable companies like ESPN to make money. I'm not an industry insider, but Im pretty sure advertising and streaming will be where they make their money. I would think if the SEC added Clemson, UNC, FSU and Miami/or one of the VA schools, their Saturday lineup would beat anything on TV. Think about the matchups on a weekly basis- OU vs Bama, Texas vs LSU, Florida vs Clemson, FSU vs Auburn, Georgia vs Miami. They would be able to get 3 or 4 huge matchups each week (huge in terms of brand). Also, adding these schools, you could probably squeeze a few more dollars out for cable fees. I did a little digging and you are correct, as of 2018 (the most recent info I could find on a quick search) ESPN made over $8 billion in affiliate fees vs 2.3 in advertising and another .5 billion in streaming. I would argue that more and more people are cutting the cord in the last 3-4 years, so those numbers may be different in 2022 and going forward.
Do people who cut the cord have the same viewing patterns? Do they just leave the stream up so that they are inundated with ESPN’s propaganda about what is a big matchup and what isn’t? Or do they just go to content that they’re already interested in and pretty much ignore the rest?

Watch the content. The build up and weekly hype can come from web. Blogs, ESPN.com, rivals boards, etc.

I know all the big matchups without needing to watch the talking heads on ESPN. But won’t miss a game.
If there is a clip about UCF or a big matchup they’ll embed that into the story about it anyway.

Reactions: knight_tracker
Watch the content. The build up and weekly hype can come from web. Blogs, ESPN.com, rivals boards, etc.

I know all the big matchups without needing to watch the talking heads on ESPN. But won’t miss a game.
If there is a clip about UCF or a big matchup they’ll embed that into the story about it anyway.
Thanks. Diving in a little deeper, if you’re getting thing from articles and blogs, are you skipping right to the UCF stuff or reading all the content? In the past, we’d have to wait through all the other teams to the short snippet on UCF. Without needing to do that, are you still at the same awareness of the rest of the content?

Do people who cut the cord have the same viewing patterns? Do they just leave the stream up so that they are inundated with ESPN’s propaganda about what is a big matchup and what isn’t? Or do they just go to content that they’re already interested in and pretty much ignore the rest?
With streaming it’s harder to channel surf. You pretty much know what you want to watch. At least for ESPN and other apps. Netflix people tend to hunt and search I guess but those aren’t live events and you aren’t getting ads. I personally don’t watch much SportsCenter like I used to but I watch Gameday and sit and watch them cover every game they feel is important. Cord cutting has changed many peoples habits. But that’s not how ratings work anyway. They estimate. They don’t report what you watch every second of every day.

I would objectively take UCF over 4 on this list. Only Texas and OU would be better value over next 10-20years.

Nebraska had their time. It seems you have enjoyed it.
You are NOT being objective if you think UCF has more than a quarter of the value Texas A&M has over any span of time.

We have made inroads against the Purdue and Wake Forests of the world which is great, but not much against the blue bloods.

Thanks. Diving in a little deeper, if you’re getting thing from articles and blogs, are you skipping right to the UCF stuff or reading all the content? In the past, we’d have to wait through all the other teams to the short snippet on UCF. Without needing to do that, are you still at the same awareness of the rest of the content?
Both. I am a college football fan, so I’ll read about all the big matchups and the articles that CBS and ESPN tell me the storylines, etc.

Definitely have to dig strictly for UCF stuff. Thank goodness for this board!

But as an overall fan, the content you can get during the week online and video snippets is suffice for me.

I grew up in Lincoln.

Finally some semblance of a truth.....although I honestly believe you have never even set foot in a college classroom.

Have no idea why you are trolling here 5 years later....you got your Frost, he has done really well (sorry about that close Rose Bowl loss) and every child of the corn is thrilled, fantastic. Where you should be is the usf forum.

And why don't you proceed to not use the word "midget" any more, it's offensive.

You are NOT being objective if you think UCF has more than a quarter of the value Texas A&M has over any span of time.

We have made inroads against the Purdue and Wake Forests of the world which is great, but not much against the blue bloods.
You’re right. But at what point do the names of these blue bloods change perception?

How long can Nebraska ride on their old success? It doesn’t change sellouts and revenue, I get that, but in 20 more years of 8 win seasons… at what point does a UCF type team surpass them?

Gonzaga is a great example for basketball. When are they considered a “blue blood” — ever?

Finally some semblance of a truth.....although I honestly believe you have never even set foot in a college classroom.

Have no idea why you are trolling here 5 years later....you got your Frost, he has done really well (sorry about that close Rose Bowl loss) and every child of the corn is thrilled, fantastic. Where you should be is the usf forum.

And why don't you proceed to not use the word "midget" any more, it's offensive.
He joined 10 years ago. Not sure why.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT