ADVERTISEMENT

PAC 12 schools meeting with BIG 12?

The B12 was very unstable after Texas and Oklahoma declared with teams reaching out to other conferences.

PAC12 teams only have two options fortify their conference or go to B12. B12 and Pac12 teams are stuck because the two big conferences are not interested. ACC picking up west coast teams would be pretty ridiculous.
One thing that will be interesting to watch is how the Big XII, ACC, and Pac 12 play their reallignment game strategies.

If I were advising the ADs of CFB's 'new kids on the block' (i.e. UCF, Cincinnati, Houston), I'd encourage them to "put on their Big Boy pants" and be ultra-aggressive in pushing their new conference's leadership to be smart about who they bring in.

My gut tells me that, given what's happened this summer, the Big XII's so-called, "Old Guard" (i.e. perennial has-beens) will be focused on quickly bringing a whole bunch of perennial has-beens from other former P5 conferences in a panic-driven effort to protect their conference TV paychecks. Knowing how the pecking order works in a traditional conference like the Big XII, I would not be at all surprised if Terry Mohaji is told not to 'rock the boat' and just be happy UCF is aboard.

I was also thinking about what must be going through Terry Mohajir's mind at this point. I don't think, nor should he have much say in what's happening.

At this point, I'd be thrilled for the Big12 to add AZ, ASU, Utah, Colorado and even Wash St. and Or St. too. UCF would be in a helluva nice spot playing Cincy, UH, UWV, Iowa State and a few other Texas schools in their division every year, in a completely legitimate conference. It may not be the B10 or SEC but christ, that Big12 would be an even sweeter conference to compete in....with legit P5 schools with history and meaning. I mean, consider where we play now.

If all goes well, we're looking at playing in an even better conference come 2024. I sure hope the dominoes fall our way and I think it will, esp. with Yorback now heading things.

I think this scenario is very likely. Not sure who exactly would be going to the BIG XII though from the ACC. If BIG XII goes to 16 and the ACC loses Notre Dame, Clemson, Miami, FSU, North Carolina etc. then the BIG XII becomes the one doing the picking off of the ACC.
How do any of these moves put any specific program in a better position? I mean, UCF, Houston and Cincy go from nothing to something so for us it is a big step up in money and competition.

But for everybody already in a P5 conference…How does an SEC with Bama, Auburn, Georgia, LSU, Texas, Oklahoma, FSU, Clemson, Miami, etc…make it any easier for any one of these teams to even play in “games that matter”?

I mean, I guess the end game is going to look like 4 conferences, with 8 division champs playing in a “playoff” to see who the champ is. First game is conference title games to get to final 4, then title game.

It seems like this consolidation is not good for any single program in general, when it comes to winning stuff. It probably means a bigger paycheck but ask Nebraska how they like thier bigger paycheck but not winning anything. It just doesn’t seem like these moves head towards greater competition.

I don’t know. It may produce the playoff many wanted to begin with but that tournament will exclude any kind of “Cinderella”/underdog scenario as there is no way someone like ourselves can bitch about anything if we are getting a massive check just like everybody else.

What happens to the ~40 teams left behind? Do the new superconferences even play teams outside themselves? Just a lot to unpack on how this will effect the college game, which is awesome to watch. Is the innocence of the game gone forever? I guess we’ll all find out as it unravels.

Last edited:
Lets just go to 38 teams at this point. We can add the NY jets and capture the NY market and the Chargers are available to capture whatever San Diego market they still have
Rest assured UCF will never be invited no matter how many schools the BIG and SEC choose.
The Big 12 lost their cachet when Colorado, Missouri, Nebraska and ATM left. Now with OU and TX gone there is nothing left. The midgets and misfits is the new Big 12.

You 4 were desperation invites, nothing more, and as the major schools move forward, you will remain second tier at best.

Last edited:
Rest assured ufc will never be invited no matter how many schools the BIG and SEC choose.
The Big 12 lost their cachet when Colorado, Missouri, Nebraska and ATM left. Now with OU and TX gone there is nothing left. The midgets and misfits is the new Big 12.

You 4 were desperation invites, nothing more, and as the major schools move forward, you will remain second tier at best.
You had a typo, our name is UCF. I don’t think we’ll be invited to those conferences either. But if all we do is win lots of football games and beat all the in-state teams when we play them, I’ll be happy. I’m a simple man, really.

I was also thinking about what must be going through Terry Mohajir's mind at this point. I don't think, nor should he have much say in what's happening.

At this point, I'd be thrilled for the Big12 to add AZ, ASU, Utah, Colorado and even Wash St. and Or St. too. UCF would be in a helluva nice spot playing Cincy, UH, UWV, Iowa State and a few other Texas schools in their division every year, in a completely legitimate conference. It may not be the B10 or SEC but christ, that Big12 would be an even sweeter conference to compete in....with legit P5 schools with history and meaning. I mean, consider where we play now.

If all goes well, we're looking at playing in an even better conference come 2024. I sure hope the dominoes fall our way and I think it will, esp. with Yorback now heading things.
It’s AMAZING the position UCF finds itself in in regards to where we have come from. We were in the MAC when I went to school and switched over to C-USA shortly after. To have the results we’ve had and now be in the Big12 that will soon be (according to most likely scenario reported) the 3rd “superconference” full of storied P5’s. Amazing…

Last edited:
You had a typo, our name is UCF. I don’t think we’ll be invited to those conferences either. But if all we do is win lots of football games and beat all the in-state teams when we play them, I’ll be happy. I’m a simple man, really.
Typo fixed.

Rest assured UCF will never be invited no matter how many schools the BIG and SEC choose.

You said the this last night and i promptly handed you your azz. Move along elton john

Go back to your USF board. Sorry you feel slighted that UCF has done more for their cause than your school ever did and ever will do.

It’s AMAZING the position UCF finds itself in in regards to where we have come from. We were in the MAC when I went to school and switched over to C-USA shortly after. To have the results we’ve had and now be in the Big12 that will soon be (according to most likely scenario reported) the 3rd “superconference” full of stories P5’s. Amazing…
I’m in your boat (student from 2001-2005). I love this.

But until that ink is dry on any new conference teams.. I sure can’t shake this anxiety.

Go back to your USF board. Sorry you feel slighted that UCF has done more for their cause than your school ever did and ever will do.
Funny how the Big12 is by all accounts in a power position to add Pac12 schools and instantly become the 3rd best conference in CFB. I’m hoping for a Big12/PAC12 semi merger to be honest, leaving few schools not invited (ie Wazu and Or St) and instead holding some spots for potential ACC collapse to get Pitt, Louisville, NC State, GT or any of those types. This is all very interesting how it will play out.

Reactions: UCFGrad05
At this point, I'd be thrilled for the Big12 to add AZ, ASU, Utah, Colorado and even Wash St. and Or St. too.
Why? That is exactly the kind of comment I'd expect the Athletic Directors from Kansas, Iowa State, or Kansas State to be pushing the Big XII Commish to consider.

UCF has worked hard over the years to move up. Now that it's made it to the Big XII at a time when the conference is likely going to expand further, why should the school allow itself to get straddled with traditional also-rans from TWO conferences?

Funny how the Big12 is by all accounts in a power position to add Pac12 schools and instantly become the 3rd best conference in CFB. I’m hoping for a Big12/PAC12 semi merger to be honest, leaving few schools not invited (ie Wazu and Or St) and instead holding some spots for potential ACC collapse to get Pitt, Louisville, NC State, GT or any of those types. This is all very interesting how it will play out.
I agree completely with this. Hold the open spots for potential ACC collapse.

If tha doesn’t happen, even though they haven’t done anything, I’ll still take Oregon State and Wazzu as brands.

Funny how the Big12 is by all accounts in a power position to add Pac12 schools and instantly become the 3rd best conference in CFB.
Unfortunately, that's like finishing third in a poker tournament that pays the top two. ;)

Unfortunately, that's like finishing third in a poker tournament that pays the top two. ;)
You do know where UCF has come from correct? It’s not all or nothing for CFB, I don’t even understand your thought process here tbh. UCF was never getting into the SEC or Big10, so the drum you keep beating is irrelevant. The Big12 will pay better than any other conference besides the SEC/Big10 if this all plays out, and we seem to be luckily, solidly in that conference, even when a year ago it was looked at as a risky move. Just relax and let us have this moment and go tell the Rutgers board how big their tv market is.

Reactions: tjb74 and UCFGrad05
UCF is going from a situation where 65 teams had a built-in advantage against them to a situation where 32-40 teams have a built in advantage against them. Clearly they’re in a better spot.

Now if the Big 10 and SEC break away completely that will really suck for UCF and about 90 other teams.

UCF is going from a situation where 65 teams had a built-in advantage against them to a situation where 32-40 teams have a built in advantage against them. Clearly they’re in a better spot.

Now if the Big 10 and SEC break away completely that will really suck for UCF and about 90 other teams.
Color me crazy but the 90 other teams playing and having their conferences, bowls, etc will probably bring in some damn good revenue, viewership, etc.

Reactions: knight_tracker
You do know where UCF has come from correct? It’s not all or nothing for CFB, I don’t even understand your thought process here tbh. UCF was never getting into the SEC or Big10, so the drum you keep beating is irrelevant. The Big12 will pay better than any other conference besides the SEC/Big10 if this all plays out, and we seem to be luckily, solidly in that conference, even when a year ago it was looked at as a risky move. Just relax and let us have this moment and go tell the Rutgers board how big their tv market is.
First off, it was meant as a joke (note the smiley face.)

Secondly, if you've read my posts here on this forum, you know I'm an actual Knight fan, not a troll. In addition to commenting on the impact of the USC-UCLA move, I've also offered my 'humble blowhard' opinions on how important it is that UCF push the Old Guard of the Big XII to be aggressive when I suspect they'd be content to load up the bases with Pac 12 also-rans.

First off, it was meant as a joke (note the smiley face.)

Secondly, if you've read my posts here on this forum, you know I'm an actual Knight fan, not a troll. In addition to commenting on the impact of the USC-UCLA move, I've also offered my 'humble blowhard' opinions on how important it is that UCF push the Old Guard of the Big XII to be aggressive when I suspect they'd be content to load up the bases with Pac 12 also-rans.

I agree with you. Who do you think we should take? Oregon, Washington, and Stanford don't want to come.

I agree with you. Who do you think we should take? Oregon, Washington, and Stanford don't want to come.
First off, I don't think you should take those three off the table. While all three want a B1G invite, I seriously doubt all three (or even 2 out of the 3) will get one. I'm of the opinion it's better to avoid panicking and taking a bunch of conference also-rans to create a so-called 'superconference' to tout the Big XII as another B1G or the SEC right away. You certainly don't want to stand pat, but the conference needs to play the patient, long game when it comes to Oregon, Washington, and Stanford.

That doesn't mean you don't jump on an Arizona State, a Utah, and a Colorado right now. Those are all quality programs. (Yeah, you can talk smack about CU but it has a solid football tradition -- an absolutely gorgous stadium and campus setting -- and would be a better choice than the others I've heard.) And for goodness sakes, don't be swayed into taking the likes of Oregon State or Washington State.

Lolz... ^^^ This guy ^^^

tumblr_ni99uvLChp1t616t1o1_400.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Stormthecourt?
How do any of these moves put any specific program in a better position? I mean, UCF, Houston and Cincy go from nothing to something so for us it is a big step up in money and competition.

But for everybody already in a P5 conference…How does an SEC with Bama, Auburn, Georgia, LSU, Texas, Oklahoma, FSU, Clemson, Miami, etc…make it any easier for any one of these teams to even play in “games that matter”?

I mean, I guess the end game is going to look like 4 conferences, with 8 division champs playing in a “playoff” to see who the champ is. First game is conference title games to get to final 4, then title game.

It seems like this consolidation is not good for any single program in general, when it comes to winning stuff. It probably means a bigger paycheck but ask Nebraska how they like thier bigger paycheck but not winning anything. It just doesn’t seem like these moves head towards greater competition.

I don’t know. It may produce the playoff many wanted to begin with but that tournament will exclude any kind of “Cinderella”/underdog scenario as there is no way someone like ourselves can bitch about anything if we are getting a massive check just like everybody else.

What happens to the ~40 teams left behind? Do the new superconferences even play teams outside themselves? Just a lot to unpack on how this will effect the college game, which is awesome to watch. Is the innocence of the game gone forever? I guess we’ll all find out as it unravels.
It's all about survival that allows the sports money to continue to flow. They could actually turn this mess into a TV series played out like SURVIVOR. SURVIVOR launches a new chapter in college football when teams are voted out by the tribunal. 😁

• Haha
Reactions: DaShuckster

Well congratulations, you took the championship belt off of Loco Cane as the stupidest poster here. Certainly your greatest achievement

Very obvious why you won’t state where you went to college.....because dropping out after 5 weeks getting blown out of Freshman Algebra doesn’t count as going to college does it?

For the record, it’s Texas A&M, not ATM......an understandable error since your 92 credit score won’t allow you to use electronic banking.

• Haha
Reactions: knight_tracker
Well congratulations, you took the championship belt off of Loco Cane as the stupidest poster here. Certainly your greatest achievement

Very obvious why you won’t state where you went to college.....because dropping out after 5 weeks getting blown out of Freshman Algebra doesn’t count as going to college does it?

For the record, it’s Texas A&M, not ATM......an understandable error since your 92 credit score won’t allow you to use electronic banking.
I understand he has halitosis too. Fat, ignorant and with bad breath is no way to go through life, but it may explain some of this poster’s “takes.”

I understand he has halitosis too. Fat, ignorant and with bad breath is no way to go through life, but it may explain some of this poster’s “takes.”
Weight does not correlate to intelligence, so probably not a factor. The inbreeding is a problem, his kin needs to learn that a family reunion is not supposed to be an episode of The Bachelor.....

B12 has a chance to make a play that will secure it's future. I hope this is it.

I tend to stop at 4 conferences or leagues because that is what they've become. Big12 take the best of the rest and then acc/pac12 merge for survival and there we are. Everyone basically ends up with coast to coast coverage and the networks all have inventory. The consolidation is done and then a playoff is hammered out.

Reactions: tjb74
I think the B12 needs to leave a couple of spots open to see if the ACC can get raided legally (let the SEC do the heavy lifting), and we can get a couple of those to give the Eastern part of the empire a full pod of teams.

The University of Colorado’s board of regents have scheduled an executive session meeting for tonight. The Big XII might be adding four more schools very soon.
There's a real irony to this situation if CU returns to the Big XII. As a former Big XII and Big 8 guy, I enjoyed playing Colorado over the years but their fans are, without a doubt, among The Worst in all of CFB -- and yes, I'm including Miami fans. (If CU joins your league, I'll have to tell you all some wild CU fan stories.)

Anyhoo, if this happens, I can envision Buffs fans sporting new Big XII T-shirts proclaiming, "WE'RE BACK, BITCHES!!!" :) :) :)

There's a real irony to this situation if CU returns to the Big XII. As a former Big XII and Big 8 guy, I enjoyed playing Colorado over the years but their fans are, without a doubt, among The Worst in all of CFB -- and yes, I'm including Miami fans. (If CU joins your league, I'll have to tell you all some wild CU fan stories.)

Anyhoo, if this happens, I can envision Buffs fans sporting new Big XII T-shirts proclaiming, "WE'RE BACK, BITCHES!!!" :) :) :)
I recall a game in the 90s where the canes ended up in the stands fighting CU fans. So this makes sense

Short Term History.

When the Big 12 lost Texas and Oklahoma, many of the Big 12 schools were looking at the B1G and Pac schools for an invite. Kansas and Iowa State thought they had a chance at the B1G because they were the only AAU schools in the Big 12. Other Big 12 schools wanted to go to the pac (2 to 4 schools thought they had a chance). Neither the B1G or Pac moved at that time.

The situation has changed dramatically for the Pac with the loss of USC and UCLA.

Now the Pac MUST make moves to secure their standing as a P-4 Conference (IMHO I believe this will boil down to 4-16 member conferences as some other posters have also suggested).

Now which Conference can combine members to secure their position as the 4th P-4 Conference.
Is it better that 6 Big 12 schools agree to go to the Pac-16 or 4 Pac schools go to a Big 16 Conference. Don't know the answer yet and I suspect these discussions are ongoing.

Will the ACC (with consultations with ESPN) move to bring in (West Virginia and Cincinnati (both former BiG East programs) and gain TV access to Ohio and West Virginia) and become ACC-16 Conference. I know West Virginia does not like being an ISLAND school in the Big 12. This move would essentially complete the merger of the Old Big East and ACC.

USC and UCLA will become ISLAND schools with their athletes facing 5/6 hour plane rides and a 3 hour time difference going to the East Coast. In 10 or more years they may not like this arrangement.

As I stated in a previous post, ESPN is 100% contractually tied into the ACC Conference and ACC Network (until 2035) as is the SEC. ESPN will want to protect their property and investment I suspect.

Again, don't know how this will all shake out.

Stay tuned.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Stormthecourt?
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT