ADVERTISEMENT

PAC 12 schools meeting with BIG 12?

I think Nebraska for sure. Snuck in his name. Shucking corn…

Nebraska tshirt fan 100%.

I have to smile at FSU's perceived 'historical value.' Back in the 1980s, FSU was 'the UCF of its time' before it joined the ACC in 1992 similar to the Knights prior to their Big XII invite. But that was all due to Bobby Bowden followed by Jimbo Fisher. You could argue that when Jimbo left, so did Florida State's street cred as a national power

I'm not saying that FSU won't find a home in the SEC, but the University of Florida already gives the conference a strong presence in the State. So given the program's dismal performance of late, what does the SEC gain by inviting Florida State?
What they gain is not allowing a competing conference to get FSU. I think FSU can provide indirect value in that sense.

It's the buyout your competitors theory.

Reactions: beelit47
What they gain is not allowing a competing conference to get FSU. I think FSU can provide indirect value in that sense.
If we've learned anything in the past year, it's that the ACC isn't a 'competing conference' to the SEC. If the SEC wants Florida State -- or any other ACC school -- they only need to extend an invite and it's snatched up in a micro-second.
Along those lines, the SEC's first ACC target will be Clemson, not Florida State.

I have to smile at FSU's perceived 'historical value.' Back in the 1980s, FSU was 'the UCF of its time' before it joined the ACC in 1992 similar to the Knights prior to their Big XII invite. But that was all due to Bobby Bowden followed by Jimbo Fisher. You could argue that when Jimbo left, so did Florida State's street cred as a national power

I'm not saying that FSU won't find a home in the SEC, but the University of Florida already gives the conference a strong presence in the State. So given the program's dismal performance of late, what does the SEC gain by inviting Florida State?
What happened really was they changed their damn logo. That's when everything went to hell for FSU.

#Curse

I predict the ACC re-negotiates a deal w/ESPN to bring in UW, Oregon, Stanford, and Utah w/out voiding the ACC GOR to boost revenue. The AZ schools, Colorado, and perhaps WAZZU or Oregon State are invited to the BIG12 and the PAC12 collapses. The BIG12's revenue/per school eclipses $40M based on a revised media rights led by our new fearless leader Brett Yormark and we'll have 4 super conferences until the SEC and BIG10 strikes again. USF's hopes in joining the big boy table gets squashed like road pizza.

I predict the ACC re-negotiates a deal w/ESPN to bring in UW, Oregon, Stanford, and Utah w/out voiding the ACC GOR to boost revenue. The AZ schools, Colorado, and perhaps WAZZU or Oregon State are invited to the BIG12 and the PAC12 collapses. The BIG12's revenue/per school eclipses $40M based on a revised media rights led by our new fearless leader Brett Yormark and we'll have 4 super conferences until the SEC and BIG10 strikes again. USF's hopes in joining the big boy table gets squashed like road pizza.
The ACC adding four west coast teams opens up the GOR. They would be kissing UNC, Clemson, FSU, and UVA goodbye in that scenario.

Reactions: Shark19
It's appears the alliance with the ACC and Pac 12 using the ACC network is dead already. That move would open the GOR back up. Any re-nogiations with ESPN negates the current GOR.
Also Utah is waffling on the Big 12 application I guess too good for the Big 12.

It's appears the alliance with the ACC and Pac 12 using the ACC network is dead already. That move would open the GOR back up. Any re-nogiations with ESPN negates the current GOR.
Also Utah is waffling on the Big 12 application I guess too good for the Big 12.
Utah doesn’t actually believe the Big Ten would offer them do they?!?

Not sure of the credibility of MHver3 this update looks promising with no mention of Utah.

What happened really was they changed their damn logo. That's when everything went to hell for FSU.

#Curse
not really that big of a change and they have history of it.

Florida-State-Seminoles-Logo-History-700x616.jpg

Let ‘‘em sink. I don’t see UU as a home run add, we’ve already got BYU. I say let ‘‘em go ahead and wither on the vine.
They would certainly be the best add of the four, no question, not even close.

Their problem is they would be no better than a 5th add (ND, O, WaSH, Stanford) PLUS they would be behind several ACC teams if that was broken up. That is a usf % chance.

Pete Thamel released a column today stating, among other things, that the four corner schools are waiting to see what the ACC/Pac-12 revenue numbers would be before moving forward with the Big 12. He said those numbers should come in next week, so that gives yinz an idea of what a timeline might look like for Big 12 expansion.

The ACC adding four west coast teams opens up the GOR. They would be kissing UNC, Clemson, FSU, and UVA goodbye in that scenario.
Unless you're a lawyer and know the details of the contract, I suspect it's not that cut and dry. Adelson even mentioned she expects the GOR to get challenged in court. What that looks like in terms of adding others, or letting other out remains to be seen. I think if you can sweeten the deal in adding more revenue to the remaining ACC schools, and throw a life-line to the PAC12 leftovers, this would be the most probable situation at this time. That was only my prediction, not what I'm hoping for, other than seeing USF continue to sink to the bottom.

Reactions: Stormthecourt?
There is also a rumor that might explain Utah. The ACC is interested in O, Wash, Stanford, & Utah.....but it would require breaking up the GOR and trying to hold on to as many as possible.

The side rumor with that is the B12 would add the 3 schools plus 1 from MWC or AAC.....hopefully Memphis, Boise St, or SDst.....but would you rather have Wash St, O St, or Cal?

If this came to pass we would be conference #4.

Respectfully, I’m not sure that’s necessarily true. As far as I know, the GOR would remain intact if they expand; I believe it states that any new members must adhere to the conference’s current bylaws.

What would open up, however, is the ACC’s tv and streaming deal. It would automatically trigger a re-negotiation with ESPN. I may be wrong, but that’s how I believe it to be.

There is also a rumor that might explain Utah. The ACC is interested in O, Wash, Stanford, & Utah.....but it would require breaking up the GOR and trying to hold on to as many as possible.

The side rumor with that is the B12 would add the 3 schools plus 1 from MWC or AAC.....hopefully Memphis, Boise St, or SDst.....but would you rather have Wash St, O St, or Cal?

If this came to pass we would be conference #4.
That seems like the best move left on the table for the ACC. They must be feeling really concerned about the strength of their conference. They need to make a move.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the conversations I've read indicate any roster changes will require a new GOR because of the payout schedule contract......unless usf would join for free, which they would.
The basis for my stance comes from section iii of the conference’s original Grant of Rights agreement that states “…any entities that are admitted as new members of the Conference hereafter and which become bound by this Agreement…” It also says that ESPN is to offer “additional financial consideration to the conference” should it add new members.
As far as I know, and I will try to verify this, but the only reason for revising the GOR in 2016 was to include the ACC Network in the conference’s media agreement. Since the ACC would see no changes to the media package other than revenue distributions, I’m not sure it would require actually re-negotiating the GOR itself. Again, I will try to confirm this.

FSU seems to to have lost it’s luster and they are surprisingly ‘poor’ in comparison to many of their regional peers.

feel like Miami and UCF may stand out in the State if both Cristobal and Gus can game day coach as well as they recruit

The basis for my stance comes from section iii of the conference’s original Grant of Rights agreement that states “…any entities that are admitted as new members of the Conference hereafter and which become bound by this Agreement…” It also says that ESPN is to offer “additional financial consideration to the conference” should it add new members.
As far as I know, and I will try to verify this, but the only reason for revising the GOR in 2016 was to include the ACC Network in the conference’s media agreement. Since the ACC would see no changes to the media package other than revenue distributions, I’m not sure it would require actually re-negotiating the GOR itself. Again, I will try to confirm this.
Very interesting, just different than the attorneys have been discussing. Does another agreement spell out what ESPN might kick in? Based on fan base, facilities, competitiveness, etc....it looks like usf would be paying ESPN.

Looking at the ACC, Big XII, and Pac 12 conferences in the wake of the OU-TX and USC-UCLA defections, it seems to me that the Big XII is in the strongest position of the three by a country mile.

The ACC? On the surface, you'd assume that the ACC was in the best position to create another superconference, but let's face it: The ACC's Powers-that-Be have to know that Clemson and Notre Dame are already planning their own exits behind the scenes. And without them, who's their standard bearer? Florida State???!?

The Pac 12?
With all due respect to Stanford, Washington and Oregon, the Pac 12 was already considered a joke before USC and UCLA left so I see very little chance of that league surviving.

Given it's current geographic make-up, the Big XII -- expecially with new leadership -- appears in the best position to add quality teams and create a superconference that, outside of the B1G and SEC, could generate the most interest nationwide.

Very interesting, just different than the attorneys have been discussing. Does another agreement spell out what ESPN might kick in? Based on fan base, facilities, competitiveness, etc....it looks like usf would be paying ESPN.
There is a separate ESPN agreement from the GOR, but that’s mainly just saying they have exclusive rights to all ACC home games, etc. However, I’ve only seen a summary of that agreement, not an actual copy.

Regarding South Florida, I hope they wallow in obscurity for as long as they’re in FBS. As far as I’m concerned, they’re the reason why the original Big East died when it did.

Last edited:
Looking at the ACC, Big XII, and Pac 12 conferences in the wake of the OU-TX and USC-UCLA defections, it seems to me that the Big XII is in the strongest position of the three by a country mile.

The ACC? On the surface, you'd assume that the ACC was in the best position to create another superconference, but let's face it: The ACC's Powers-that-Be have to know that Clemson and Notre Dame are already planning their own exits behind the scenes. And without them, who's their standard bearer? Florida State???!?

The Pac 12?
With all due respect to Stanford, Washington and Oregon, the Pac 12 was already considered a joke before USC and UCLA left so I see very little chance of that league surviving.

Given it's current geographic make-up, the Big XII -- expecially with new leadership -- appears in the best position to add quality teams and create a superconference that, outside of the B1G and SEC, could generate the most interest nationwide.
The ACC’s fatal mistake was not holding Notre Dame to the fire during the 2020 Covid season. The only way they should’ve been allowed to play an ACC schedule that season was to join the ACC full-time the following season.

The ACC’s fatal mistake was not holding Notre Dame to the fire during the 2020 Covid season. The only way they should’ve been allowed to play an ACC schedule that season was to join the ACC full-time the following season.
The lack of any foresight among these so called “leaders” of the conferences will be studied much in the same way as we study businesses like Radio Shack or Kodak

The lack of any foresight among these so called “leaders” of the conferences will be studied much in the same way as we study businesses like Radio Shack or Kodak
Agreed. Swofford’s incompetency dates back even before our time when he signed the initial agreement with ESPN and Raycom.

Unfortunately, poor leadership has followed us wherever we went dating back to the Big East rejecting Penn State. Had things gone differently, we would likely still be in a Big East that consisted of all the major eastern independents and which eventually raided the ACC sans Wake Forest. Just my opinion based off what I’ve heard throughout the years.

Reactions: beelit47
Agreed. Swofford’s incompetency dates back even before our time when he signed the initial agreement with ESPN and Raycom.

Unfortunately, poor leadership has followed us wherever we went dating back to the Big East rejecting Penn State. Had things gone differently, we would likely still be in a Big East that consisted of all the major eastern independents and which eventually raided the ACC sans Wake Forest. Just my opinion based off what I’ve heard throughout the years.
Oh the glory years of Pitt and Tony Dorsett. Man he's 68 now.

Adding all of those schools far outweighs losing OU and UT....Hoping this actually goes through. The BIG12 would be the 2nd/3rd strongest super-conference.
In any given year, on the field, it might be the 2nd best conference. But perception would take a lot of time to dwindle away at the Big 10. It would take a minimum of at least 4-5 years to replace the Big 10 as the #2, and even then you would have to be clearly dominant over them each year. But if you add those schools and the ACC falls apart, then we are clearly the #3 conference. The question is can we catch the Big 10 on the field. The basketball would be insane. Recruiting for us would improve, just because of the league, but could we ever pierce the top half of that league in men's hoops.......?

Reactions: knight_tracker
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT