ADVERTISEMENT

Please let me try to be an NU voice of decency.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrepSportsFanOmaha

High School Harry
Jan 26, 2010
First of all, I very rarely post anything on any kind of message board like this. I started reading your board in the past month, as I assumed there would be some decent insight into Coach Frost, the prospects of him staying or going, etc. I did not come here to gloat if this turned out in our favor, or whine if it didn't. For the most part, I genuinely appreciate the good stuff I've read here, and have been able to stay above the fray of the rest.

I can honestly admit that if the tables were turned, I (and probably most NU fans), would feel pretty much exactly the way some of you do. That's human nature, and anyone who thinks your fan base's reaction is any different than most would be isn't a very good observer of the human condition. So yes, if the tables were turned, the NU message boards, etc. would be lit up with very disappointed fans feeling like they had been "duped." And, I suspect, there would be a few UCF fans spending their time on those boards behaving as unfortunately as some Nebraska fans have obviously done here.

What UCF has done (not only since Frost arrived, but in their run to the Fiesta bowl several years ago), is fun and exciting to watch. I've been to the campus in Orlando, and its beautiful. I've watched as many games as I conveniently could in the last several years (more this season, obviously), and its an exciting brand of football. Danny White and whomever else has put together this growth of UCF football (and other athletics) should be highly commended.

What I see all too often on these forums is name dropping and claims of sources to information. I doubt most of those are true. I also doubt most of you would believe me if I pretended to know a lot of inside information, so I won't pretend to. I did, however, know about the meeting in Philadelphia very shortly after it occurred, and was aware from that point forward that the folks on both sides - NU and Frost - felt comfortable with each other and optimistic about the possibilities. I can also tell you I know - again I understand if you roll your eyes - but I know that Scott's decision was not made that day. I didn't feel "good" about this deal actually happening until Monday or Tuesday of last week, when there was an update shared with "us" that things were probably going to end how they did. I say all of this to try to assure anyone that might listen, that Scott did not abandon UCF with 2 or 3 games to play - that is simply not the case from my perspective.

Please, please, please understand this - the vast majority of Nebraska fans wish nothing but the absolute best for UCF, and believe Scott entirely when he talks about how much he loved the city, the campus, the University and his team. Are there Nebraska fans that are behaving like asses after all this? Of course there are! And I can only apologize for that. I'm not sure what motivates some people to say and type the things they do on an internet message board - its a real flaw in some people, in my opinion.

I won't pretend I'm not thrilled that Scott is "coming home." I am beyond excited for the possibility that he can return a once proud program to some of its past success - these last few years have been unbelievably painful (probably because of how spoiled we had become in the 90's?). My family has be intimately associated with Nebraska football (and other athletics) since 1962, and have had season tickets at Memorial Stadium for every game of the current sellout streak. I love Nebraska football as much as anyone (but hopefully keep it in perspective better than some). I believe Scott is the right person at the right time to turn this around for us, and I believe he must feel the same way. But don't think for a minute I don't understand (or try to understand) how you guys must feel - we've never had a coach leave us for another (mostly cuz the last 4 haven't been good enough to do that!), but I know it would be miserable.

I'm not trying to patronize you or anything like that. I'm simply trying to share with you that not all Nebraska fans - in fact, very few - are as obnoxious and downright rude as a few you've had the misfortune of having to put up with. I - and we - wish the best for UCF and your new coach. I would love to see you guys take down an SEC power in the Peach Bowl, and continue the rocket-like rise of your program in years to come.

Reactions: onetwocheck
With the crap he pulled here on leaving, may never come back and never see a day of success. Mr. Empty Phrases.

Thank you for the kind words I'm closing this thread not because I didn't like the content but because our posters are still pissed and don't want to see this thread get swamped with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT