ADVERTISEMENT

Possible new unis for homecoming

Some fans on here need to get a bit more like Frost i.e. in this century, and less like the old coach. About a year, year and a half ago, some paper released a study of football prospects and the importance they place on uniforms. A ridiculously high- in the 80% or higher, make uniforms a high priority. Will we get a 5 star based on this- no, but we may very well get a better player than we usually do. I think uniforms are a sales gimmick- fan thing. I like what we're doing, but as a player I think I wouldn't give a crap. But, that's not the mindset of today's prospect. Get with it. Get in this century. It actually does matter. No, a uniform can't throw a football, but the guy in it actually does care about what he's wearing. Just look on youtube at various team's reactions to their new uniforms. And then quit moaning.

Sounds like some marketing guy at Nike probably wrote that article.

Sounds like some marketing guy at Nike probably wrote that article.

And the Nike guy was absolutely correct.

It is a well-established fact that how you dress has a direct correlation to self-confidence. This is no myth and has more evidence than the contrary.

How you percieve yourself; "Damn! I like this! I feel great...hell yeah!" ....has an affect on your confidence and emotional state.

I want that edge, how about you all? Yes? Excellent. Because that is math and science.

Question: Is there any doubt that Frost's initiative of giving the players more freedom to be themselves, and to improve the uniform selection, may have helped in the improvement last year? He was saying their confidence improved ten-fold the whole season...

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/dress-for-success-how-clothes-influence-our-performance/

If the opposite were true, and emotional states were not tied to aesthetics at all...then why do military organizations insist on "uniformity"....?

Why do schools have dress codes?

Meh, they matter but only up to a point. Opportunity, playing time, coaching staff, offensive/ defensive scheme, school reputation, pretty much everything trumps uniforms. Uniforms are nice and they help bolster school reputation some, but in the end I am convinced that they don't truly mean that much. Otherwise nobody in their right mind would ever go to Maryland.

And the Nike guy was absolutely correct.

It is a well-established fact that how you dress has a direct correlation to self-confidence. This is no myth and has more evidence than the contrary.

How you percieve yourself; "Damn! I like this! I feel great...hell yeah!" ....has an affect on your confidence and emotional state.

I want that edge, how about you all? Yes? Excellent. Because that is math and science.

Question: Is there any doubt that Frost's initiative of giving the players more freedom to be themselves, and to improve the uniform selection, may have helped in the improvement last year? He was saying their confidence improved ten-fold the whole season...

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/dress-for-success-how-clothes-influence-our-performance/

If the opposite were true, and emotional states were not tied to aesthetics at all...then why do military organizations insist on "uniformity"....?

Why do schools have dress codes?

Schools have dress codes for uniformity not self confidence. They are to equalize not promote. Same with the military.

I would say that the overall culture change and the fact that we have a hands on coach an not a semi retired coach with one foot out the door and his self appointed lacky has more to do with the change than the uniforms. Uniforms are a fun distraction. They don't correlate to wins and losses. The turn around was because of the hands on work of the coaching staff. Yes culture helps and Frost's culture involves flashy uniforms but when push comes to shove uniforms are low on the priority list for most recruits compared to almost every other factor. .

Otherwise nobody in their right mind would ever go to Maryland.
Now you're trolling because those things are :fire::fire::fire:!!!!!

18yg41oi1budljpg.jpg

That is some badass Alice in Wonderland crazy ass shit, dude!!!!!

Reactions: 2DogKnight
Uniforms matter. Colors matter. Look at the teams that play with their colors to create something exciting to support on the field and to sell to the fans. We still struggle in that area, at least when it comes to selling something exciting to the fans. UCF holds with clinched fists onto boring colors. Still too much white and khaki...blah.

Last edited:
Reactions: jetsaholic
Schools have dress codes for uniformity not self confidence. They are to equalize not promote. Same with the military.

I would say that the overall culture change and the fact that we have a hands on coach an not a semi retired coach with one foot out the door and his self appointed lacky has more to do with the change than the uniforms. Uniforms are a fun distraction. They don't correlate to wins and losses. The turn around was because of the hands on work of the coaching staff. Yes culture helps and Frost's culture involves flashy uniforms but when push comes to shove uniforms are low on the priority list for most recruits compared to almost every other factor. .

A lot of this is false, particularly where you speak for recruits under the age of 18. I've made the same mistake in the past myself, so it is ok.

I have learned that society is a dynamic thing that sometimes antiquates hard-line dogmatic thinking, even from 10 years ago. I can argue using math, research findings reviewed in peer-review journals, and evidence of many organizations using uniformity as both a psychological and emotional tool to create confidence. This can definitely have quantifiable results, and this is also a method used commonly and OPENLY in the military and why different companies often have their own fashion adjustments based on the history of a company (101st Airborne comes to mind when they endorse the use of the Mohawk hairstyle, coincidentally facing the same combat as other divisions and had one of the highest survival rates in WW2, which the commanding officer attributed to a particular "mindset" adopted when the soldiers adopted the haircut)

Should I cite more?

Have you heard of "Cognitive Style" and other skills taught in Business these days? It is the study of what you wear and how you wear something and the attention and respect you get at a sub-conscience level.

Last edited:
Some fans on here need to get a bit more like Frost i.e. in this century, and less like the old coach. About a year, year and a half ago, some paper released a study of football prospects and the importance they place on uniforms. A ridiculously high- in the 80% or higher, make uniforms a high priority. Will we get a 5 star based on this- no, but we may very well get a better player than we usually do. I think uniforms are a sales gimmick- fan thing. I like what we're doing, but as a player I think I wouldn't give a crap. But, that's not the mindset of today's prospect. Get with it. Get in this century. It actually does matter. No, a uniform can't throw a football, but the guy in it actually does care about what he's wearing. Just look on youtube at various team's reactions to their new uniforms. And then quit moaning.

Other teams integrate neon and other bright colors into their schemes. Here, we yell, "Those aren't our (boring) school colors!" Let go of your white, khaki, and black lack of color preferences, and allow us to integrate character into our uniforms, fan apparel, logo, etc.

"How you look and feel" can be argued at an instinctual level in nature...

Take, for instance, this guy:
article-2641537-1E43934B00000578-266_634x497.jpg

I am betting that even though he is small, probably helpless, he invoked an aesthetic that induces an instinctual "fight or flight" response in larger would-be predators. It can only be assumed that similar "aesthetic" approaches at psychological exploits are employed in higher forms of life when factoring in evolutionary theory.

A lot of this is false, particularly where you speak for recruits under the age of 18. I've made the same mistake in the past myself, so it is ok.

I have learned that society is a dynamic thing that sometimes antiquates hard-line dogmatic thinking, even from 10 years ago. I can argue using math, research findings reviewed in peer-review journals, and evidence of many organizations using uniformity as both a psychological and emotional tool to create confidence. This can definitely have quantifiable results, and this is also a method used commonly and OPENLY in the military and why different companies often have their own fashion adjustments based on the history of a company (101st Airborne comes to mind when they endorse the use of the Mohawk hairstyle, coincidentally facing the same combat as other divisions and had one of the highest survival rates in WW2, which the commanding officer attributed to a particular "mindset" adopted when the soldiers adopted the haircut)

Should I cite more?

Have you heard of "Cognitive Style" and other skills taught in Business these days? It is the study of what you wear and how you wear something and the attention and respect you get at a sub-conscience level.

And I can tell you that likely those articles and $3 will get you a coffee at starbucks. as a parent of children who have gone through the process, I will state that a vast majority of the recruits ultimately look to their parents to help with the decision. Parents look toward academics, scholarship amount, location, safety, playing time, graduation rate school reputation and overall culture. They understand that it is a life decision. Uniforms are an afterthought. they are more important to the fans than the recruits. They are more important to marketing and merchandising. They are used to attract fans early. Those fans may eventually become recruits but as far as them making a decision based upon uniforms is not valid.

And I can tell you that likely those articles and $3 will get you a coffee at starbucks. as a parent of children who have gone through the process, I will state that a vast majority of the recruits ultimately look to their parents to help with the decision. Parents look toward academics, scholarship amount, location, safety, playing time, graduation rate school reputation and overall culture. They understand that it is a life decision. Uniforms are an afterthought. they are more important to the fans than the recruits. They are more important to marketing and merchandising. They are used to attract fans early. Those fans may eventually become recruits but as far as them making a decision based upon uniforms is not valid.

Pardon the flippancy, but you are simply mentioning what parents (people like yourself) want. I have been absolutely clear in acknowledging what the 17 and 18 year olds want. I don't disagree, AT ALL, with what a parent wants. What parents and their offspring have wanted, and what is factored into a child's decision-making, has always clashed since the dawn of man. All things being equal? Parents and kids see eye-to-eye on all that you mention? Guess what...the kid is going to choose where he/she has more FUN. If I'm not mistaken? Frost, as well as many other more innovative coaches in this new generation of football, preach FUN as part of their program.

I wonder why that is? Is it off the cuff? Or was there actual research done?

Shall I cite some quotes? More articles? Primary sources? This is all stuff you learn to do when you do research at a University to argue a point, as well as to invalidate antiquated anecdotal arguments.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...f-game-mike-bianchi-0904-20160903-column.html

Creativity and innovation can reach the same accolades as longevity and tradition.

“It starts with Scott and his leadership and the staff he hired,” said UCF athletic director Danny White, whose first job was to find the Knights a football coach as soon as he was hired last November. “The way the team is responding to that. I know there is a tremendous amount of excitement among our student body, our fans because they can see how energized our football program is with the new uniforms, the new style of play, just kind of a new mojo a little bit among our football team.”

Pardon the flippancy, but you are simply mentioning what parents (people like yourself) want. I have been absolutely clear in acknowledging what the 17 and 18 year olds want. I don't disagree, AT ALL, with what a parent wants. What parents and their offspring have wanted, and what is factored into a child's decision-making, has always clashed since the dawn of man. All things being equal? Parents and kids see eye-to-eye on all that you mention? Guess what...the kid is going to choose where he/she has more FUN. If I'm not mistaken? Frost, as well as many other more innovative coaches in this new generation of football, preach FUN as part of their program.

Shall I cite some quotes? More articles? Primary sources? This is all stuff you learn to do when you do research at a University to argue a point, as well as to invalidate antiquated anecdotal arguments.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...f-game-mike-bianchi-0904-20160903-column.html

Creativity and innovation can reach the same accolades as longevity and tradition.

“It starts with Scott and his leadership and the staff he hired,” said UCF athletic director Danny White, whose first job was to find the Knights a football coach as soon as he was hired last November. “The way the team is responding to that. I know there is a tremendous amount of excitement among our student body, our fans because they can see how energized our football program is with the new uniforms, the new style of play, just kind of a new mojo a little bit among our football team.”
Yeah, if it was up to the parents, more than half the time, harvard, yale, penn etc would be overflowing with studs based on his assessment. Most of these parents of recruits either want their kid happy, or are following the dollar sign of where can get their kid in the NFL the fastest. They dont care if that means Norman, Oklahoma, or if that means the slums of the world, if it gets their kid to the NFL and makes them rich, thats what D1 kids look for. Obviously a good amount of kids have their head on straight and dont fully look for that, and do want a good school.
But to say even a majority of D1 bound athletes who actually will play, their parents care so much about what he said, is somewhat crazy.

Yeah, if it was up to the parents, more than half the time, harvard, yale, penn etc would be overflowing with studs based on his assessment. Most of these parents of recruits either want their kid happy, or are following the dollar sign of where can get their kid in the NFL the fastest. They dont care if that means Norman, Oklahoma, or if that means the slums of the world, if it gets their kid to the NFL and makes them rich, thats what D1 kids look for. Obviously a good amount of kids have their head on straight and dont fully look for that, and do want a good school.
But to say even a majority of D1 bound athletes who actually will play, their parents care so much about what he said, is somewhat crazy.

Do you think that most of the kids going into college football have parents who REALLY think that their kid is going to the NFL? My experience is that parents are looking for the end game as a future for the kid after college which does not realistically involve the NFL (i.e. getting a degree). There are some for sure but I am willing to bet that the vast majority of parents do not have that expectation. Hope maybe but not expectation. Maybe those elite athletes have that in mind but those are not a majority.

What I am telling you is ultimately what the parent thinks is important is going to weigh higher than what the child wants. You can cite all the articles you want (even an opinion piece by a sports columnist). The fact is that all things are rarely equal. Almost never. The factors of location, fiances, coaching staff, safety, playing time school reputation etc. are almost never the same. As I stated before, overall atmosphere matters. But uniforms are a small part of that. I don't think I can remember one case in which the uniforms were the deciding factor, but I know there are probably a dozen articles saying that coach "promised I would get a degree" and "that really made an impression on my parents".

Marketing is important. I am glad that UCF changed its plan. It was time as the old one was stale. But what comes around goes around. There will come a time when the Oregon style offense and new jerseys become "business as usual" at UCF. The most successful programs do not rely on gimmicks and uniforms. They establish a long term program for success on the field and success for their athletes off the field. They sell this to the parents as well as the kids.

Do you think that most of the kids going into college football have parents who REALLY think that their kid is going to the NFL? My experience is that parents are looking for the end game as a future for the kid after college which does not realistically involve the NFL (i.e. getting a degree). There are some for sure but I am willing to bet that the vast majority of parents do not have that expectation. Hope maybe but not expectation. Maybe those elite athletes have that in mind but those are not a majority.
Im speaking of D1, not walk ons, not partial scholarship kids, full scholarship. Generally in my experience both being recruited and watching recruiting, a good 70 percent of parents could care less what the school is, the bigger the better, or the closer to home the better. Thats generally the extent of the parents involvement in the decision. Every dad at camps i ever met only cared about how big the school was and how much they offered. Of course the parents want their kid to get a degree, but they dont care whether its in nuclear engineering, or sociology. All the same to them.

The other 30% want their kid to consider the academic profile, location, safety etc. For d1, caring about academics is in the minority for full scholarship level players. Do you not notice with most of these kids, once the big guys come flocking, very few will stay at a smaller, better academic school. Alabama isnt exactly known for exuding academic excellence, but if they came knocking on anyones door in america, they would start to think. Same with pretty much every SEC, Big 12, half of the big 10 and acc (acc does have some academic prowess with UNC, Wake, Duke). If you get offered by P5, you start to consider academics much less for the chance to be competitive, and in the grand scheme of things, the place of the degree doesnt matter (too much) minus your elites and ivy's.
In my job i got accepted over several UF, FSU and Rollins students. Technically UF, Rollins and FSU are better in their academics than UCF.

You also have to factor in the fact that for MANY of the better D1 players, nobody in their family has even been to college, let alone a good school. For them, going to school at all is a blessing, so no they dont care where, its free school, the bigger the better.

You also have to factor in the fact that for MANY of the better D1 players, nobody in their family has even been to college, let alone a good school. For them, going to school at all is a blessing, so no they dont care where, its free school, the bigger the better.

I agree. Finances and school reputation (the bigger the better). Nobody ever picked Alabama over UF because of uniforms. Nobody ever picked Oregon over Alabama because of uniforms. There were way too many other important factors. But you would agree that academics is generally more important than uniforms.

Reactions: Miltonian
I agree. Finances and school reputation (the bigger the better). Nobody ever picked Alabama over UF because of uniforms. Nobody ever picked Oregon over Alabama because of uniforms. There were way too many other important factors. But you would agree that academics is generally more important than uniforms.
I would hope so lol never know with some kids in 2017

Why should we have nice uniforms???

Why not?? Will it hurt the teams play?? No

If someone is paying for them, who the hell cares. If they look good, put
the kids in them. Geez.

Reactions: jetsaholic
Compare apples to apples. All things being close to equal, e.g. Oregon and Oregon St or Washington or Washington State, they may choose Oregon over the others for the cool uniforms. There is a reason the kids try the uniforms on and take pictures on visits. It's not because they don't care about the uniforms. If the choices were UCF, Temple , Cincinnati and USF. All of us fighting for a good WR let's say. Similar mostly but if we have good uniforms and that was the tiebreaker. Would that be a bad thing?

Let's just have our team wear a bunch of old ripped cut up jeans and some old practice jerseys that haven't been washed in days. Pure white helmets with scuffs on them and turf in the facemask. Sound exciting??

Disagree...as a kid I loved the Gators because it was bright orange. I also liked the mascot. Every kid is different and ucf better sell ourselves on the new cool factor. Boring works for the traditional brands. I do think uniforms can sway a recruit in some cases.

I think it is interesting to bring up Alabama. They will get plenty of the top players just from being in the national championship conversation and the amount of pro athletes they put in the NFL. Doing a comparison with them is silly. Oregon did change the uniform look years ago and went from average at best to one of the top teams over a 10 year period.

Last edited:
Disagree...as a kid I loved the Gators because it was bright orange. I also liked the mascot. Every kid is different and ucf better sell ourselves on the new cool factor. Boring works for the traditional brands. I do think uniforms can sway a recruit in some cases.

I think it is interesting to bring up Alabama. They will get plenty of the top players just from being in the national championship conversation and the amount of pro athletes they put in the NFL. Doing a comparison with them is silly. Oregon did change the uniform look years ago and went from average at best to one of the top teams over a 10 year period.

That's why I used UF vs Alabama. Two top notch schools. Both in the national picture, both put players in the NFL. Use Texas, Tennessee whatever. The issue is not uniforms. Uniforms are nice marketing tools, and I am glad UCF is using it. But the old saying that you can't put lipstick on a pig. You have to have something else to sell. Oregon did not become a top 10 team because of uniforms. They may have become a top 10 team in selling jerseys to fans. But what they sold to recruits was a new style offense.

I think some have misconstrued my argument to say that I want boring uniforms. Not true. I think it is nice to mix it up (provided they don't go the way of Maryland...yeesh) . But this whole discussion started because there was some article that tied recruiting to uniforms. I just don't think any recruit ultimately made his decision based upon uniforms.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT