ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Update Thread

LB will be fine, only 2 start. gilyard, bethune and jean-baptiste will make it work.
No, it wont be fine. It was not last year and it wont be this year. All of those guys have very low ceilings, Gilyard is the best one and he is average.

CGM will bring a portal LB that will start this year.

With the way we are picking up lineman I wouldn’t doubt we run a 5 man front quite a bit. Have to get pressure on QB and stop run. We haven’t had a good pass rush in a few years.
A better line can help the LBs but only so much. I feel like the line was better than the LBs and it was the LBs that had the most ground to gain. We agree on needing to be better for sure. Not sure about 5 on the line but your point is taken about taking advantage of the talent we have. Maybe one of our smaller DEs plays a hybrid role?

Am I wrong that we could have more than two LBs on the field at a time?

What does TWill prefer? 4-2-5? I thought Randy was an outlier using it.
nah he's not an outlier, the nickel is now a base defense. an outlier will be whatever coach figures out how to make the dime work as a base defense.

Reactions: Knight Strength
nah he's not an outlier, the nickel is now a base defense. an outlier will be whatever coach figures out how to make the dime work as a base defense.

Sorry if I was unclear. This line of conversation started with someone's assertion that we will only play 2 LBs at a time. Which is part of the conversation about us needing LB talent. It's not about the DBs. Do you have info on how many defenses are using less than 3 LBs?

Sorry if I was unclear. This line of conversation started with someone's assertion that we will only play 2 LBs at a time. Which is part of the conversation about us needing LB talent. It's not about the DBs. Do you have info on how many defenses are using less than 3 LBs?
i was the one who talked about 2 LBs at a time. and yes most teams lining up in a nickel defense are doing so with 4 down linemen: 4-2-5. other than us: TCU (gary patterson has been doing this since the late 90s), kevin steele when he was at auburn, usc, mel tucker did it at colorado and michigan state, georgia tech does it. if you google news "4-2-5 base defense" it might produce more results.

i was the one who talked about 2 LBs at a time. and yes most teams lining up in a nickel defense are doing so with 4 down linemen: 4-2-5. other than us: TCU (gary patterson has been doing this since the late 90s), kevin steele when he was at auburn, usc, mel tucker did it at colorado and michigan state, georgia tech does it. if you google news "4-2-5 base defense" it might produce more results.
I won't put money on it but I feel like TWill wants to play with 3 or more at LB. Of course he'll do what he has to to make the most out of his personnel.

I won't put money on it but I feel like TWill wants to play with 3 or more at LB. Of course he'll do what he has to to make the most out of his personnel.
As we generally have smaller, faster players, wouldn't the 3-4 defense be better suited for us. Is that the one we generally ran under Coach Frost? (not trying to cause andy trouble with that last question.)

As we generally have smaller, faster players, wouldn't the 3-4 defense be better suited for us. Is that the one we generally ran under Coach Frost? (not trying to cause andy trouble with that last question.)
Yes it was 3-4 and a lot of people said exactly what you said about it being beneficial because we had smaller/faster players. Will be interesting to see what we play with now.

Yes it was 3-4 and a lot of people said exactly what you said about it being beneficial because we had smaller/faster players. Will be interesting to see what we play with now.
I think Coach Shannon ran the 4-3 and that didn't seem to work out as well for us.

well you need 3 big down linemen (300+). it worked for us because we had a future NFL 2nd round pick at nose tackle and the 2 outside tackles played professionally.

Reactions: KnightLife1
Shannon mostly ran 4-2-5 but yea it didn't work. It's a valid scheme but our LBs graded poorly and our CBs were always 5 yards away from the receivers. By the end of the season I knew to expect to see their receivers wide open before the camera panned to them. Sad to watch honestly.

As others have said talent could be the problem. I think the coaching staff lacked leadership too. Low energy and not very engaging. A lot of these things are changing but we'll have to see how it translates to the field.

For now I'm expecting to see more talent being brought in through transfer. Gus knows he doesn't have time to wait on the young talent to develop. We need more experienced athletes right now. Roster wise it's a tough position to be in but he's doing the right thing.

I'm waiting to see if this guy comes on. He was highly spoke of when he was recruited.

GOL would have challenge him at UCF to speed up his reads. It looks like he has great contact speed but sits on his heels too much waiting for some plays. There's some talent on the roster that can be developed but certainly a few more blue chip type recruits would be great this recruiting cycle or through transfer portal.

I'm waiting to see if this guy comes on. He was highly spoke of when he was recruited.

GOL would have challenge him at UCF to speed up his reads. It looks like he has great contact speed but sits on his heels too much waiting for some plays. There's some talent on the roster that can be developed but certainly a few more blue chip type recruits would be great this recruiting cycle or through transfer portal.
His film certainly shows promise and easy to see why he was recruited.

Reactions: KnightVision82
We really need this guy

central florida needs a larger middle class of players like south florida. upper class players like this that alabama, ohio state, florida, notre dame, etc will recruit hard are just out of range for us. but it's good to recruit them in high school so that if they don't like where they signed they know they can come back home.

Reactions: Yung knight
central florida needs a larger middle class of players like south florida. upper class players like this that alabama, ohio state, florida, notre dame, etc will recruit hard are just out of range for us. but it's good to recruit them in high school so that if they don't like where they signed they know they can come back home.
This post oozes a lack of confidence and has no swagger.

This post oozes a lack of confidence and has no swagger.
I'm in the middle. He is speaking from our previous experiences. That said, with this staff, these type of guys aren't out of our reach. Cincinnati is all the proof you need that 4 stars will join a 'G5' program that can inspire and looks like it is going places.

Reactions: Yaes
TJ is the #1 ranked OL for his class (current sophomores) and plays right down the road at Timber Creek. He would be our highest rated player ever.

Reactions: Knightro20
So what is going on? Is Heupel going to rely on his new QB recruit to do all of this recruiting for him? Thought that was his job.

Jaren Handy​

Strong-Side Defensive End, Class of 2019​

6-5, 278 — From Hattiesburg, MS (Hattiesburg)

Rankings​

#56 recruit all-time for Auburn

SERVICE​
RATING​
POSITION​
STATE​
OVERALL​
Composite
★★★★☆​
#7 SDE
#7 in MS
#100 overall
★★★★☆​
#7 SDE​
#7 in MS​
#91 overall​
★★★★☆​
#13 SDE​
#7 in MS​
#135 overall​

Committed to Auburn Tigers on June 18, 2018

Decommitted from LSU Tigers on March 15, 2018

Committed to LSU Tigers on March 03, 2018

Any bugs can be submitted as a PM to me here! I am still learning, so please bear with me. I now have Rivals rankings, but they are not perfect. ESPN rankings are hopefully coming soonish. just went into transfer Portal Auburn player. Hope he has no personal problems. Was supposed to play in their Spring game and did not. From what I heard online he was starting to miss classes and not working hard on field. Maybe a good get..

Jaren Handy​

Strong-Side Defensive End, Class of 2019​

6-5, 278 — From Hattiesburg, MS (Hattiesburg)

Rankings​

#56 recruit all-time for Auburn

SERVICE​
RATING​
POSITION​
STATE​
OVERALL​
Composite
★★★★☆​
#7 SDE
#7 in MS
#100 overall
★★★★☆​
#7 SDE​
#7 in MS​
#91 overall​
★★★★☆​
#13 SDE​
#7 in MS​
#135 overall​

Committed to Auburn Tigers on June 18, 2018

Decommitted from LSU Tigers on March 15, 2018

Committed to LSU Tigers on March 03, 2018

Any bugs can be submitted as a PM to me here! I am still learning, so please bear with me. I now have Rivals rankings, but they are not perfect. ESPN rankings are hopefully coming soonish. just went into transfer Portal Auburn player. Hope he has no personal problems. Was supposed to play in their Spring game and did not. From what I heard online he was starting to miss classes and not working hard on field. Maybe a good get..
Getting a lot of D Line guys. Overkill it seems.

TEs Forrest and Boerboom in the transfer portal. With the extra year everyone got I don't know who has how long but Browder is the young up and commer.
That seems odd. Hescock came back but not sure that made them transfer. Either staff told them they wouldn’t play or they didn’t like TE usage in offense. That’s even odd because Heupel didn’t really use TEs much.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT