ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Update Thread

Yikes! And so many of that class transferred, quit, or left early too! Check my stats but Luke Adams (transferred), Jacoby Glenn (left early for draft), Dareen Owi (transferred), Nicco Whigham (transferred), Troy Green (transferred). I think I may be even missing some.
Any of them besides Glenn good?

here we go 'but Bruce Miller was a 2 star'!

the numbers don't lie. What has been UCF's Program weakness? Consistency. Consistency is not just coaching but talent. Recruiting is the lifeblood of this Sport. If we want to stop seeing 10+ win seasons followed by <6 two years later you need to recruit.

Reactions: Flem3000
The stars outside of high 4s and 5s are based on who offers. Perhaps Heupel is doing actual talent evaluation and basing his recruiting on team needs. It looks like he has already hit the immediate needs and has yet to hold a practice. Probably too early to fire him.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
The stars outside of high 4s and 5s are based on who offers. Perhaps Heupel is doing actual talent evaluation and basing his recruiting on team needs. It looks like he has already hit the immediate needs and has yet to hold a practice. Probably too early to fire him.
Bizzle is not being serious(I think). even if he sucks UCF is probably stuck with him for 3 seasons bc of that massive buyout

I mentioned those 2 stars because those were impact players whose talent wasn't properly scouted. It seems like a lot of UCF high rated recruits are the ones who boost a class rating, but maybe don't pan out on the field. A higher percentage of higher rated recruits may go on to be good players, but a star rating isn't the only metric. The commit UCF got yesterday had Stanford and Miss State offers but rated a 2 star. He won't do anything to boost the rating. Trevor Elbert pulls the rating down but was a high 4 star out of high school. Do you think he is properly evaluated? I agree that we need to fill this class out with close to 20 to provide depth going forward, but I hate looking at only star rating as a metric. UCF has fielded top 10 teams and last I checked have never had a class in the top 40.

I mentioned those 2 stars because those were impact players whose talent wasn't properly scouted. It seems like a lot of UCF high rated recruits are the ones who boost a class rating, but maybe don't pan out on the field. A higher percentage of higher rated recruits may go on to be good players, but a star rating isn't the only metric. The commit UCF got yesterday had Stanford and Miss State offers but rated a 2 star. He won't do anything to boost the rating. Trevor Elbert pulls the rating down but was a high 4 star out of high school. Do you think he is properly evaluated? I agree that we need to fill this class out with close to 20 to provide depth going forward, but I hate looking at only star rating as a metric. UCF has fielded top 10 teams and last I checked have never had a class in the top 40.
I know the ratings are not always accurate. but you could make an example for every argument. 4 Star Snelson was making huge plays for UCF in the biggest games down the stretch this season, even more so than Tre. Gabe Davis played great as a True Freshman and I think he was a 4 star at one point but got dropped to a 3 star. I'd rather take our chances with high 3 stars than hoping for a 2 star to over perform and be the next diamond in the rough

The fact that he didn't commit at early signing and Heupel offered and got a commit from a JUCO rated slightly higher was a warning sign. Could speculate that Heupel passed, but could also be he just wasn't a fit for UCF. Best of luck to the guy.
Yes, I agree when he did not sign during the early signing period, for whatever reason it was clear he was no longer a lock for UCF. No surprises with his tweet. :sunglasses:

Yikes! And so many of that class transferred, quit, or left early too! Check my stats but Luke Adams (transferred), Jacoby Glenn (left early for draft), Dareen Owi (transferred), Nicco Whigham (transferred), Troy Green (transferred). I think I may be even missing some.
So where did Troy Green transfer to? :sunglasses:

Reactions: ucf_71127
Its true, Griffin...2 star, under recruited...top 10 LB in CFB, same with Milton (3 star). Thats the bread and butter of teams like us, if we can get those 3 star kids who big programs overlook because they didnt go to ever nike camp under the sun, fine by me. Alot of the 2-3 star kids still managed to get those ratings going to small school (Ike Walker, Tyrese Black) and just throwing out film. Tyrese black (although they won state at his school) went to a Christian school with other players who were highly touted so thats probably 1 reason he got overlooked. GOL made a career on these types of kids, im fine with it. A class of 5 studs we took from big programs and 18-20 2-3 stars who actually give a dam about football and have a chip on their shoulder? Thats a great team.

I know the ratings are not always accurate. but you could make an example for every argument. 4 Star Snelson was making huge plays for UCF in the biggest games down the stretch this season, even more so than Tre. Gabe Davis played great as a True Freshman and I think he was a 4 star at one point but got dropped to a 3 star. I'd rather take our chances with high 3 stars than hoping for a 2 star to over perform and be the next diamond in the rough
Actually Davis was a 2 star at a few points, especially on 247 and ESPN, then got bumped up to a 3 everywhere when FSU started getting interested in him at the end towards signing day.

Reactions: hemightbejeremy
Actually Davis was a 2 star at a few points, especially on 247 and ESPN, then got bumped up to a 3 everywhere when FSU started getting interested in him at the end towards signing day.
Yeah Davis was a high 2, low 3. Right around that .80 at 247.

maybe that’s a brain fart on my part

I posted on this board when he committed that he should have been a 4*, he is a good example of being criminally underrated. There was 1 game that I believe was against Dr Phillips where he was a man among boys.

Reactions: Miltonian
We need 44 players to fill our 2-deep roster over a 5 year period. Most are recruited. Others are either walk-ons or transfers.

Do the math (9 per year from above) and enjoy the ride!

It's hard to cram in a full year of recruiting in 4-6 weeks especially when your current 44 2-deep looks pretty good like ours. We need to save some of our scholarships for late arrivals like Mike Hughes and 2019 when we have more time to get them on-board. I'm thankful that we'll sign between 18-20 this year. With transfers and walk-ons we should get our 9 players that make the 2 deep.

Note: Some of our short fall is due to previous staff abandoning us. We'll survive fine.

It makes FB feel better and less likely to call for the :fire::fire::fire: when we sign high rated recruits. [smoke]

The problem is, we aren’t even getting two-star recruits right now. We got one. But lost another recruit right behind the commitment. All this coming off a 13-0 season and a crap ton of publicity thanks to the genius of Danny White.

And now we are struggling to even get two official visits 3 weeks before signing day? I’m happy about the 13 recruits we signed. But let’s be real, most of those were Frost’s recruits. I’m with @Poolside Knight, this is concerning because we shouldn’t be struggling this badly. If this was O'Leary I wouldn’t be as worried because he had a history of mostly finishing strong. We don’t know anything about Heupel.

The problem is, we aren’t even getting two-star recruits right now. We got one. But lost another recruit right behind the commitment. All this coming off a 13-0 season and a crap ton of publicity thanks to the genius of Danny White.

And now we are struggling to even get two official visits 3 weeks before signing day? I’m happy about the 13 recruits we signed. But let’s be real, most of those were Frost’s recruits. I’m with @Poolside Knight, this is concerning because we shouldn’t be struggling this badly. If this was O'Leary I wouldn’t be as worried because he had a history of mostly finishing strong. We don’t know anything about Heupel.
I mean frost also had a history of pulling classes out in the last week. I trust Heupel. Every year people are freaking out cuz we dont have a full class 2-3 weeks before signing. Heupel has his targets, and like frost had only 2 months to put a class in...except frost didnt have the new dead period post the early signing. Heupel wasnt allowed to recruit from seasons end til the national championship game was over. New dead period put a damper on most new coaches. Even frost is having trouble getting Big 10 level players in Omaha to commit.

I mean frost also had a history of pulling classes out in the last week. I trust Heupel. Every year people are freaking out cuz we dont have a full class 2-3 weeks before signing. Heupel has his targets, and like frost had only 2 months to put a class in...except frost didnt have the new dead period post the early signing. Heupel wasnt allowed to recruit from seasons end til the national championship game was over. New dead period put a damper on most new coaches. Even frost is having trouble getting Big 10 level players in Omaha to commit.

Nebraska 2018
* Natl Rank: 24
* Big-Ten Rank: 5
* Avg Rating: 08729

UCF 2018
* Natl Rank: 74
* AAC Rank: 6
* Avg Rating: 0833

This is how it stands right now.

No one is debating that new staff will need to roll up their sleeves next recruiting period.
ill-take-care-of-it-sir.jpg

It sucks that SF and staff put the woodie to us just as we were beginning to all enjoy their talents. Remember where we were one year ago? Complaining about recruits and doubting SF's ability after 6-7 season and the embarrassment of the Cure Bowl.

Reactions: Mikesi
We need 44 players to fill our 2-deep roster over a 5 year period. Most are recruited. Others are either walk-ons or transfers.

Do the math (9 per year from above) and enjoy the ride!

It's hard to cram in a full year of recruiting in 4-6 weeks especially when your current 44 2-deep looks pretty good like ours. We need to save some of our scholarships for late arrivals like Mike Hughes and 2019 when we have more time to get them on-board. I'm thankful that we'll sign between 18-20 this year. With transfers and walk-ons we should get our 9 players that make the 2 deep.

Note: Some of our short fall is due to previous staff abandoning us. We'll survive fine.

Abandoned? Really? Didn't seem like much effort was expended trying to keep any of them. Troy Walters and Sean Beckton certainly wanted to stay. They certainly didn't abandon UCF. Hmmm, So why did they leave?

Abandoned? Really? Didn't seem like much effort was expended trying to keep any of them. Troy Walters and Sean Beckton certainly wanted to stay. They certainly didn't abandon UCF. Hmmm, So why did they leave?

Now that it's weeks away, do we have the final say on why Beckton left? Last I heard was he was asked to stay, but "abandoned" UCF to go with the HC. Is that not right? Was it just a half-assed offer?

Now that it's weeks away, do we have the final say on why Beckton left? Last I heard was he was asked to stay, but "abandoned" UCF to go with the HC. Is that not right? Was it just a half-assed offer?
Dude spent 25 yrs at UCF. Give it a break. Oh yeah, he played here before that. Guy is more Knight than 99.9% of people on this message board.

Ironically NU fans were told that Walters was staying or would try for other OC gigs and that Beckton bled UCF and would stay as the bridge between staffs...FWIW (Not much just tossing it out there)

Happy to have them both though.

On a side note, how is Fisher on the recruiting trail? Held, DeWitt, Beckton and Walters as well as Verdu seem to be solid.

I’m really not sure of the point of the comparisons and downright griping in this thread.

Reality is that this is the first year with an early signing period, which happened to coincide with our entire coaching staff leaving, taking some of the recruits they’d been talking to for months with them. So will recruiting be down this year, umm Yes, Yes, and Yes! Sucks, but it’s ridiculous to blame Heupel and staff for a situation they came in to. Let’s wait until next years recruits before that.

Reactions: mattropolis
In fact the new Nebraska coaching staff wasn’t holding back much in showing Clark how much the Orlando Dr. Phillips senior was wanted, as eight coaches showed up at his house Sunday: head coach Scott Frost along with assistants Sean Beckton, Greg Austin, Troy Walters, Erik Chinander, Travis Fisher, Barrett Ruud and Jovan Dewitt.

“It feels good because it made me feel like I’m at a place that I’m wanted and people care for me,” Clark said.

I can’t knock the hustle ....8 coaches showing up to an in home visit when they have to fly to recruit Braxton.

How many coaches did UCF send which is a 25 minute drive?

Last edited:
Ironically NU fans were told that Walters was staying or would try for other OC gigs and that Beckton bled UCF and would stay as the bridge between staffs...FWIW (Not much just tossing it out there)

Happy to have them both though.

On a side note, how is Fisher on the recruiting trail? Held, DeWitt, Beckton and Walters as well as Verdu seem to be solid.
Fisher knows South Florida better than Beckton for example but he wasn't really that impressive recruiting. I think Beckton, Walters, and Held are much better recruiters. Beckton had a lot to do some of our key Central Florida and Jacksonville recruits(Otis Anderson, Gabe Davis, & Jordan Johnson)

Reactions: HuskerLLM
Fisher knows South Florida better than Beckton for example but he wasn't really that impressive recruiting. I think Beckton, Walters, and Held are much better recruiters. Beckton had a lot to do some of our key Central Florida and Jacksonville recruits(Otis Anderson, Gabe Davis, & Jordan Johnson)

Thank you, Huskers were left thin at DB so need Fisher to be above average. It does seem to me that Chin is with him a lot in recruit photos.

Beckton seems to be along with Austin quite a bit as well.

Appreciate your takes

Reactions: Poolside Knight
In fact the new Nebraska coaching staff wasn’t holding back much in showing Clark how much the Orlando Dr. Phillips senior was wanted, as eight coaches showed up at his house Sunday: head coach Scott Frost along with assistants Sean Beckton, Greg Austin, Troy Walters, Erik Chinander, Travis Fisher, Barrett Ruud and Jovan Dewitt.

“It feels good because it made me feel like I’m at a place that I’m wanted and people care for me,” Clark said.

I can’t knock the hustle ....8 coaches showing up to an in home visit when they have to fly to recruit Braxton.

He’s not a Heupel target anymore. He was a Frost target. We have 2 DBs this class already with similar size and ratings and they are from Miami. Thanks for the Frost/Nobraska update

By the way, he’s one of their weakest recruits and I believe his 3 stars dropped their ratings and brought a chuckle to Urban Meyer.

As of today, we have 14 commits. UF also has 14 commits and FSU has 12. I’m sure that all three programs will be happy on national signing day. To quote the high school kids, trust the process.

Reactions: Miltonian
We aren’t getting commits because some kids are waiting to see if their bigger offers are committable. Once they see they’ve been strung along as a backup plan they will come to us.

Reactions: JAFFX2 and Mikesi
I know the ratings are not always accurate.

The ratings accuracy are not the only flaw in the rankings and the reality of the big picture. The ratings are a somewhat subjective and often times inconsistent measures. If FL is truly a hot bed of talent wouldn't it be logical to assume that these ratings are often times relative, the top tier athletes get the most attention and the mid level players are not looked at as close. This leaves a significant number of kids that fly beneath the radar without high ratings but are better recognized by local recruiters who have far more opportunity to scout them? This is huge for UCF. Further, all the attention given to school rankings like Rival are misleading in that the rank is determined by the number of recruits not just the quality of the recruits, so smaller recruiting classes get a lower weighted overall rank.....totally meaningless and useless like the CFP committee! And finally, transfers are not counted in the rankings, just look at the awesome talent we have pulled in from Notre Dame, Alabama, Oregon, Wake Forest and Ole Miss......

- Hayden Kingston
- Aaron Robinson
- Parker Boudreaux
- Canton Kaumatule
- Jake Hescock
- Jon MacCollister
- Tre Nixon

I say rankings don't tell all.....not to worry!

Last edited:

This is what 30-35 million/yr in media money can do for a program. You can just go over-the-top. Unfortunately, we can't do that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT