ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Update Thread

good point Hughes was a season and possible program changing transfer with the plays he made in the biggest games this season but we got him for 1 year. I don't think it's a good idea to fill a roster with too many Juco transfers for that reason alone, UCF gets straight out of HS talents like Snelson for 3 seasons minimum.
No argument there. We should not look to fill a roster with transfers or Jucos. That is certainly agreed. I think the sentiment expressed by several on the board was that, in addition to the incoming class of 13, we also have a solid upswing going into next year because we also have several strong impact transfers.

I truly appreciate the 13-14 incoming players, just as much as I appreciate the transfers. I value both. Again, like every other Knight supporter, I also hope that we can add a few more incoming freshmen in the next 7-10 days.

One thing I would like to add about the transfers. It is not just that they are highly rated or come from P5 programs, but also that most arrive at a time when they are filling an important need at their positions, i.e. Tight End, Defensive Line, Right Guard, Off. Tackle, and Cornerback. Thus, this is why I assign a certain level of importance to them arriving at this time even if they only give us 1-3 years with the program. Based upon the timing and their talent rating, I would submit that they are welcome additions.

Who here said that 2018 was doomed?

It’s funny you talk about the folly of downplaying transfers as you point out one example, who just happens to be the greatest transfer in program history and stuck around for one year.
Note that before that, Errol Clark, Demetri Brim and one DB (I believe T. J. Mutcherson) were all transfers. These were 3 of the 7 that we lost last year causing everyone to panic. They played well for us and for several years each.

8 coaches in FL for a visit tells me...

HOLY CRAP it is cold here in this place! Lets ALL go to FL where it is warm!

They have been doing that everywhere Frost goes to do an in home, the assistants scatter to various high schools during the day making '19 offers in the area and then do group in homes in the evening---did it in NJ yesterday around Jean-Baptiste. Have done it in Georgia around Palmer visit and expected next week in TX around Maurice Washington. The approach has worked fairly well for them.

They have been doing that everywhere Frost goes to do an in home, the assistants scatter to various high schools during the day making '19 offers in the area and then do group in homes in the evening---did it in NJ yesterday around Jean-Baptiste. Have done it in Georgia around Palmer visit and expected next week in TX around Maurice Washington. The approach has worked fairly well for them.
[pfftt]

Reactions: Mikesi

Anybody know what our coaches do? Is it my imagination or Coach Heupel gained weight since he's been in Orlando.

Reactions: firm_bizzle
it's bc Heup's background is more rocky than Frost's. He got fired from his Alma Mater. Frost was hand picked by Chip Kelly to join the Oregon staff & Scott was 'his shadow' for years picking his brain while he moved up the position coach ladder.

That is certainly historically accurate. What grade would you give Coach Heupel? Do you think he's a "good hire/"

only thing I've seen on Purdy is an article out of Iowa State where they are still confident on landing him and they don't even mention UCF as a threat. I know they are Big12 and beat Oklahoma last year but they do realize they are Iowa State right? They use quotes on how much he liked it there but he's being a politician on these visits, said the same about Boise.

probably dont want to deal with the Pandora's box called defending national champs UCF.
UCF got the mid week visit so I guess I can't blame them too much but it's funny to see Iowa State cocky in recruiting. I remember them negative recruiting UCF when Killins visited them and he told the Sentinel after the visit how it turned him off on Campbell & Iowa State

If we can land a one and done like Mike Hughes every year i can accept transfers. Balance is the key of course. :p

I don't understand the bias against transfers etc. What's wrong with getting a 1 and done yearly that takes us on a 13-0 season? If that gets us there, and we do it yearly, who gives a damn? You take the same risk getting a transfer as getting a guy for 4 years. If the transfer can't produce, ala the P5 QB that was here and gone, then he's gone after the year or two. If it's a high schooler- you've got him for 4-5 years. You take the same chances, except you could get a higher quality player in the 4 or 5 star transfer. You're basically saying you like it out of HS because he's here longer. If we can succeed with transfers like this year, I'll take it. Besides, I doubt anyone involved with the team, fans, coaches, AD is thinking of bringing in 60 transfers a year. It's not actually a either or thing. You can actually accept the few transfers we get a year.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Stormthecourt?
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT