ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Update Thread

Wonder how the Academies treat transfers. They typically make them serve active after graduation. Can you just transfer out to not be forced into that requirement?
I looked them up on the transfer portal. Six or seven out, NONE in. Even if you are an athlete, you have to pass the other physical and mental/academic requirements to get in. They have a minimum 5-year commitment upon graduation and commissioning. Dickhead Trump wanted to let any football players who could get in the NFL forgo this requirement. That shows you how much he knows about the military and "duty, honor, country". The point of the academies is to produce Officers for the armed forces, not pro athletes. My father was a West Point graduate who served as an Army Officer for 30 years (WWII, Korea and Vietnam). He had to work his butt off to get in as do the rest of the candidates for the US Naval, Air Force, US Coast Guard and West Point applicants.

I looked them up on the transfer portal. Six or seven out, NONE in. Even if you are an athlete, you have to pass the other physical and mental/academic requirements to get in. They have a minimum 5-year commitment upon graduation and commissioning. Dickhead Trump wanted to let any football players who could get in the NFL forgo this requirement. That shows you how much he knows about the military and "duty, honor, country". The point of the academies is to produce Officers for the armed forces, not pro athletes. My father was a West Point graduate who served as an Army Officer for 30 years (WWII, Korea and Vietnam). He had to work his butt off to get in as do the rest of the candidates for the US Naval, Air Force, US Coast Guard and West Point applicants.
See your valid points. But if a player from the academies gets drafted shouldn't they have the opportunity to make the active roster of team that drafted them? If cut by team they were drafted by then have to finish off the terms of service. Practice Squad shouldn't count in this situation. I'm sure alot of the guys that go to service academies aren't looking to the NFL as the next step.

Reactions: kuyakarlito
I know all of that. I was wondering if they could just transfer out to forgo that. You left out getting a Congressman or Senator to give you a letter of recommendation to be admitted.

See your valid points. But if a player from the academies gets drafted shouldn't they have the opportunity to make the active roster of team that drafted them? If cut by team they were drafted by then have to finish off the terms of service. Practice Squad shouldn't count in this situation. I'm sure alot of the guys that go to service academies aren't looking to the NFL as the next step.
I agree with you points as well as those of the poster whose Father served 30 years. I want our service academies to be competitive. I think there could be a compromise, something along the lines of:

1. The player must be drafted
2. For every full season on an active NFL roster, he buys out 1 year of service (he pays for his education for 1 year)
3. If he spends an entire season not on an active roster, he reports for duty the next day to start fulfilling the rest of his commitment

So if the guy is a 1st round stud pick, he buys out all 4-5 years

If the guy is a 3rd, 4th round tweener, he gets to live the NFL dream for a couple of years and the country gets his services until the commitment is complete

If the guy is a 7th round filler, he gets an opportunity to make it happen but most likely he serves his complete commitment (still a good deal).

If they are (which they are not) they should go somewhere else!

If they are (which they are not) they should go somewhere else!
Make no mistake....98% of high school players dream of an NFL career.....and sometimes athletes blossom late in college so it only gets real at that point....witness a guy like David Robinson, NBA hall of famer.

I know all of that. I was wondering if they could just transfer out to forgo that. You left out getting a Congressman or Senator to give you a letter of recommendation to be admitted.
A Congressional appointment is only one of several ways of getting into the academies. There are presidential appointments (nationwide), appointments from the active services, sons and daughters of MOH winners. and others. Cadets, Midshipmen, etc. can transfer out prior to beginning their Junior year; after that; they owe the government military service. 99% of academy football and basketball players (and David Robinson was an exception who got in though is did not meet the height requirements ( 6'6 or less)) weren't good enough to get a major college offer or, they wanted to be a career officer instead. They had a choice. You know, some people will not admit they don't know what they are talking about no matter evidence or information you give the. They are perpetual deniers; see republicans!

A Congressional appointment is only one of several ways of getting into the academies. There are presidential appointments (nationwide), appointments from the active services, sons and daughters of MOH winners. and others. Cadets, Midshipmen, etc. can transfer out prior to beginning their Junior year; after that; they owe the government military service. 99% of academy football and basketball players (and David Robinson was an exception who got in though is did not meet the height requirements ( 6'6 or less)) weren't good enough to get a major college offer or, they wanted to be a career officer instead. They had a choice. You know, some people will not admit they don't know what they are talking about no matter evidence or information you give the. They are perpetual deniers; see republicans!
Robinson was 6’6” when he entered. Grew 6 inches or so in next 4 years. That’s what the story was anyway.

Clown take as usual from the lone Brandon supporter

So, we've had consecutive weekends with high-profile recruits visiting and zero commitments. With few exceptions, the remainder of the ACC and those who will be in the New Big-12 have gotten commitments from numerous players over the June period. ??

So, we've had consecutive weekends with high-profile recruits visiting and zero commitments. With few exceptions, the remainder of the ACC and those who will be in the New Big-12 have gotten commitments from numerous players over the June period. ??
I've heard we have multiple silent commits. I'm quite skeptical of this info so not getting excited but it would be nice.

Reactions: Stormthecourt?
These are 4 and 5 star kids. They don’t commit that easily

Reactions: Yaes
I've heard we have multiple silent commits. I'm quite skeptical of this info so not getting excited but it would be nice.
I got a feeling some recruits may be waiting till the July 1 announcement of Big 12? Just speculating here.

I got a feeling some recruits may be waiting till the July 1 announcement of Big 12? Just speculating here.

Seems odd, I don't think any of the players even pay that close attention to that stuff. They care about conference affiliation, but 17 year olds to actually follow school announcement dates and worry about that stuff... Seems a stretch.

Did these players not have any other schedule visits? Are they not courted by other notable schools? The higher profile players don't have to worry about losing their spots waiting.

I think S Zack Tobe and CB Braeden Marshall are both silent commits. They both have scheduled July (7th and 30th) for the commitment dates. I think they just want to go visit some other campuses before committing.
If I were 17 and could take my parents on 4 free weekend getaways I would.
I also think we are in great shape with OL Elvin Harris.

Yeah Cincy currently has the #3 overall recruiting class on 247 after the past 2 weekends. I would hope we could get at least 1 commit…

Yeah Cincy currently has the #3 overall recruiting class on 247 after the past 2 weekends. I would hope we could get at least 1 commit…
I'm with you on wanting to see some progress but Cincy, Texas Tech, and Northwestern are just ahead of schedule with the number of commits. Their class averages are 87 which will be good for mid 30s to low 40s. Still, I'd rather be in their situation right now.

Reactions: UCF Tampa Knight
I think S Zack Tobe and CB Braeden Marshall are both silent commits. They both have scheduled July (7th and 30th) for the commitment dates. I think they just want to go visit some other campuses before committing.
If I were 17 and could take my parents on 4 free weekend getaways I would.
I also think we are in great shape with OL Elvin Harris.
The defensive commits Gus is landing is sec level

Reactions: tjb74
I think from here on out we trend upwards because now Big12 start date is solidified. We'll truly be able to see what we can do with "P5 (God I hate using that term)" resources and erase all this "what if" BS that haters throw at us.

Looking forward to keeping FL kids at home!

Reactions: tjb74
I think from here on out we trend upwards because now Big12 start date is solidified. We'll truly be able to see what we can do with "P5 (God I hate using that term)" resources and erase all this "what if" BS that haters throw at us.

Looking forward to keeping FL kids at home!
I always hated the simply irrational and ignorant line of “well why don’t you just join a P5 conference.” Ughhh, irritating. But I agree, nothing to hold us back now, seems like we have a lot of recruiting momentum. I think we are seen as the cool, up and coming school in a talent hotbed right now. Similar to how it seems Cinci is looked at as well. Time to get back to being in and winning conference championship games and keep the momentum going.

The antithesis of momentum right now is usf. Poor guys, bahhhahahaha.

Recruiting UCF Style :)

FVaOYPsWAAMYM5X

Awesome, but I figured Gus wouldn't bring him in if there wasn't a high probability of eligibility.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT