ADVERTISEMENT

Rioters Tear Down Historical Statue in NC while Police do nothing to stop it

Al Sharpton has already started the narrative of how evil the Jefferson Memorial is. It's only a matter of time before the leftists start demanding the destruction of most of DC; and if they don't get it, will surely turn to violence to do it themselves.
And Trump rightfully said what next. We know that the left hates religion, we know that many people have died in the name of religion. Will the left now go after crosses on churches.

Seriously, you're not too bright. Explain to me again how the south putting up war memorials to their fallen soldiers for a war fought on their soil is the same as a kamikaze pilot over Pearl Harbor.
Easy, both wanted to destroy this country and both failed. There's no reason a confederate statue should be in front of the Tampa courthouse.

Easy, both wanted to destroy this country and both failed. There's no reason a confederate statue should be in front of the Tampa courthouse.
Wow you obviously must be joking or have an inferior sense of history. The soldier from the Florida fighting for the South was not trying to destroy the Country. Quite the contrary, they were fighting for their country which they believed was the south. Better yet, back in those days most people viewed their states as their country.

Wow you obviously must be joking or have an inferior sense of history. The soldier from the Florida fighting for the South was not trying to destroy the Country. Quite the contrary, they were fighting for their country which they believed was the south. Better yet, back in those days most people viewed their states as their country.
Look up what seceding from the union means and return with a better answer.

Reactions: NinjaKnight

Shouldn't we tear down all Revolutionary War era monuments too? After all that was a secession from British rule and done via violence and bloodshed.

These are harmful and offensive to Brits.

Reactions: Sir Galahad

Shouldn't we tear down all Revolutionary War era monuments too? After all that was a secession from British rule and done via violence and bloodshed.

These are harmful and offensive to Brits.
If there were a monument for British soldiers in front of the Tampa courthouse like there is for confederate soldiers, I would want it torn down.

When does the disgusting statue of Robert Byrd come down in the US senate? When do those streets named after him get renamed?

Byrd was a KKK leader. Why is his statue not on the left wing hit list?

Oh that's right- he was a friend of Hillarys and she praised him upon his death.

When does the disgusting statue of Robert Byrd come down in the US senate? When do those streets named after him get renamed?

Byrd was a KKK leader. Why is his statue not on the left wing hit list?

Oh that's right- he was a friend of Hillarys and she praised him upon his death.

But we are the ones with the double standard right ?

Reactions: UCFWayne
lol

Not at all what was actually said, but it's cute how you guys band together to push your own narrative.

Original comment: if we're now in "take down anything that offends someone/anyone" mode, then surely Byrd's statue in the US Senate should be taken down. No? A KKK leader?

Hillary does factor in since she was best buds with Byrd and spoke glowingly of him. Byrd = beloved Senator. Sessions = KKK BIGOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mac has a poor understanding of history. To succeed from the union is not attacking the United States. Mac has no clue what the mindset was back in 1861. State rights actually meant something. The country was shifting at the time to a more national leadership but many in the south disagreed. The south did t attack the north to conquer but people like Mac only know what they hear on CNN. Imagine how you would feel if the New York State legislature decided to enforce a state tax in Florida.

Reactions: knightmare777
Mac has a poor understanding of history. To succeed from the union is not attacking the United States. Mac has no clue what the mindset was back in 1861. State rights actually meant something. The country was shifting at the time to a more national leadership but many in the south disagreed. The south did t attack the north to conquer but people like Mac only know what they hear on CNN. Imagine how you would feel if the New York State legislature decided to enforce a state tax in Florida.
Ths South wanted to secede because of slavery, pure and simple. To suggest any other reason is only to masquerade the cause. The South wanted to keep slavery and the North wanted it gone.

Ths South wanted to secede because of slavery, pure and simple. To suggest any other reason is only to masquerade the cause. The South wanted to keep slavery and the North wanted it gone.

I love prager u videos. however, the civil war is a little bit too nuanced for a 5 minute break down. there were legit state rights issues that were overlooked. i know alot of those rights came down to states wanting slaves but there were other concerns as well.

I love prager u videos. however, the civil war is a little bit too nuanced for a 5 minute break down. there were legit state rights issues that were overlooked. i know alot of those rights came down to states wanting slaves but there were other concerns as well.
Other concerns that almost exclusively stemmed from slavery.

Other concerns that almost exclusively stemmed from slavery.
yes a bulk of it revolved around slavery, but not all of it. a strong central government vs limited central rights and strong state rights.

most of the confederate soldiers that fought, didnt own slaves.

yes a bulk of it revolved around slavery, but not all of it. a strong central government vs limited central rights and strong state rights.

Right, but as the linked video indicated they still needed slavery to be lifted off the bottom rung of society - something the Jim Crow laws did post-slavery. It was still an institution that they believed in. There were far more Southern whites that didn't own slaves than those that did, yet those who did not still supported slavery because they were lead to believe it was the only way their (relative) economic and social well-being could be maintained.

Right, but as the linked video indicated they still needed slavery to be lifted off the bottom rung of society - something the Jim Crow laws did post-slavery. It was still an institution that they believed in. There were far more Southern whites that didn't own slaves than those that did, yet those who did not still supported slavery because they were lead to believe it was the only way their (relative) economic and social well-being could be maintained.
again, far too nuanced for a 5 minute video.

again, far too nuanced for a 5 minute video.
The video touched on that. Also, many CSA soldiers were pressed into service, as every male between 18 and 35 was forced to serve the CSA for 3 years (later in the war it was expanded to everyone between 17 and 50). They had no choice but to fight or go to jail (and possibly executed). And actually, those who owned 20 or more slaves were exempt from conscription.
http://www.wtv-zone.com/civilwar/condraft.html

Last edited:

I don't get your last comment. Why does it matter if they owned slaves or not? Not all Nazi's actually killed Jewish people, but they still fought for the cause.

I don't get your last comment. Why does it matter if they owned slaves or not? Not all Nazi's actually killed Jewish people, but they still fought for the cause.

This is why trying to reduce the understanding of war to a simplistic, moronic soundbite doesn't work.

Many Confederate soldiers fought simply because they had no other option and/or didn't see a viable alternative. If everyone around you is taking up arms and claiming its to protect their homes, it's kind of hard to be the one saying "nah, I'm sitting this one out". There is a massive groupthink involved.

As for the Nazis, it's documented history that thousands of Nazi soldiers fought because they were told to fight or die. They had no choice. Worse, they were told that if they refused then their families would be taken and killed by the SS.

It didn't matter that they didn't own slaves because the CSA conscripted every male between 18 and 35 into their army. They either fought or went to prison.

The exemption for slave owners meant that many slave owners actually didn't fight in the war.

The Civil War did revolve around slavery. But there was an overarching theme leading up to it regarding State's Rights. The Nullification Crisis in particular showed how close southern States were to seceding over issues unrelated to Slavery.

As with all things in history, it's extremely difficult to capture all of the forces and trends that lead to major historical events. It's certainly more than 5 minutes, which is why most people only understand the 5 minute version of events.

It's really quite simple guys: 1860 America essentially had 2 very different, unrecognizable regions- the North, where slavery was outlawed and their economy had industrialized, innovated, grown, and prospered with booming city centers; and the South- where none of that was happening, and slavery was the absolute crutch in keeping their only real economic pipeline going, aka agriculture and cotton. It was one nation with 2 regions that were completely opposite and were headed for some type of confrontation.

Lincoln winning the Presidency was the final straw. The South saw it as a sign the north would indeed want to end slavery, and decimate the south economically, and the rest is history.

I cant believe Baltimore tore down 4 of their statues over night. thats pretty crazy that the mayor just went ahead and did it without anyone knowing about it.

I cant believe Baltimore tore down 4 of their statues over night. thats pretty crazy that the mayor just went ahead and did it without anyone knowing about it.

That will surely stop the murder epidemic happening in his city.

People will stop being racist with racist statues still standing.

I guess the US will be racist until it is conquered by another country and our history is wiped out. Washington through probably Nixon were all racists of some form. Tear down Mount Rushmore!

People will stop being racist with racist statues still standing.

I guess the US will be racist until it is conquered by another country and our history is wiped out. Washington through probably Nixon were all racists of some form. Tear down Mount Rushmore!
Luckily we have conservative white males to guide us on this path of racial healing.

Luckily we have conservative white males to guide us on this path of racial healing.

I'm not trying guide anything. I would just like a little more consistency in the faux raging. If racist confederate soldiers are bad then surely racist and/or slave owning Presidents and Congressmen are just as bad or worse.

Don't call anyone else ignorant or bigoted again please . It takes a true racist to mans the statement you just made . If I began making statements like that about blacks or muslims you'd flip your shit
In a thread in which blacks and hispanics have been equated to white supremacist. LOL

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT