ADVERTISEMENT

RIP gun control

Not mentioned in the article is something of almost as much importance: in the settlement, the govt cited the fact that semi automatic guns .50 caliber and smaller are not weapons of war.

That's like saying, the Federal Reserve is smoked and money supply is lost because of counterfeit money presses. It's not that easy.

Not mentioned in the article is something of almost as much importance: in the settlement, the govt cited the fact that semi automatic guns .50 caliber and smaller are not weapons of war.

You're reading this a bit wrong. The original legal threat came from US State Department because it was a challenge regarding ITAR - meaning they thought he was breaking federal ITAR law by publishing US defense tech data that could be downloaded and sent overseas without export licenses. ITAR goes well beyond physical hardware; even discussing tech data with a foreign national is considered an export that requires a license.

What they did here is essentially remove this guys' designs from State Department oversight - which involves ITAR - and reclassified it as a Dept of Commerce regulated item that would remove the violations of ITAR by hosting these drawings on his website.

It's still a big step forward and a big win for the guy, but this doesn't necessarily do anything to prevent States or the Federal Government from later regulating how these 3D guns are made, used, or what's required to possess one. The website can resume operations because it's no longer deemed to be violating US export compliance law.

Reactions: UCFBS
You're reading this a bit wrong. The original legal threat came from US State Department because it was a challenge regarding ITAR - meaning they thought he was breaking federal ITAR law by publishing US defense tech data that could be downloaded and sent overseas without export licenses. ITAR goes well beyond physical hardware; even discussing tech data with a foreign national is considered an export that requires a license.

What they did here is essentially remove this guys' designs from State Department oversight - which involves ITAR - and reclassified it as a Dept of Commerce regulated item that would remove the violations of ITAR by hosting these drawings on his website.

It's still a big step forward and a big win for the guy, but this doesn't necessarily do anything to prevent States or the Federal Government from later regulating how these 3D guns are made, used, or what's required to possess one. The website can resume operations because it's no longer deemed to be violating US export compliance law.

True, and possibly could explain why they gave him proprietary rights to the designs. Easier to come back later and lay the blame at the feet of an individual than of an open source that is traded freely.

Anndddddddd this decision is now being blocked thanks to 8 Democratic AGs and a circuit judge in Seattle.

They’ve blocked this guy relaunching his website

.380 ACP single shot

I love watching the sheer ignorance of this en masse. Sigh, we are doomed to lose all our freedoms, because we are so uneducated. I mean, this is elementary physics people.

It's already illegal to possess a plastic firearm. I think the guy had some other more developed designs out there on the site. I just see this 3-D printing thing leading to a lot of shitty, untraceable Saturday Night Specials.

It's already illegal to possess a plastic firearm.
Yes, but how do we ban human knowledge? That's what this is about.

I think the guy had some other more developed designs out there on the site.
Yes, like many others that are quite legal. That's what gets me.

I just see this 3-D printing thing leading to a lot of shitty, untraceable Saturday Night Specials.
Which is 100% hype.

What you're assuming is that we don't already have blueprints for CnC milling machines out there. Things that allow 10x to 100x the energy! Some of them even won't be detected by metal detectors either.

Heck, just last year there was a whole segment, along with blueprints, on creating an entire, aluminum AR-15 lower, from melted down, aluminum cans. He even created the 'homemade furnace' from household materials too.

This is what gets to me. This knowledge is already out there ... and legal.

Welcome to the age of ignorance en masse.

Oh brother...
No, really. Chemistry is another, perfect example when it comes to all sorts of ordinance.

No one is able to go out there and print a 3D AR-15. The US media needs to stop with that, and this new "untraceable," garbage too.

We're at the point where we're already limiting what people can learn, because X could be used for Y which could be used for Z. That's just nuts in a free society.

Heck, we're already talking about changing the 1st Amendment and the Press because of the Russians. How's that "ministry of truth" going to work out for us?

No, really. Chemistry is another, perfect example when it comes to all sorts of ordinance.

No one is able to go out there and print a 3D AR-15. The US media needs to stop with that, and this new "untraceable," garbage too.

We're at the point where we're already limiting what people can learn, because X could be used for Y which could be used for Z. That's just nuts in a free society.

Heck, we're already talking about changing the 1st Amendment and the Press because of the Russians. How's that "ministry of truth" going to work out for us?

Gun Nut talk...watch out!!
What about those of us who own no guns? Are we 'gun nuts' too?

Maybe some of us are not only "freedom nuts," but we actually support our police and/or troops via ordinance development and/or support too.

In fact, why isn't the US media listening to police and veterans on "gun control?" Ask yourself that!

I mean, the Police One survey is out there, for all to see. ;)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT