ADVERTISEMENT

Roe v Wade overturned

Ok…., well many said that this doesn’t change anything

Here are key lines from the majority opinion:
  • “We hold that Roe and Casey must be overruled. The Constitution makes no reference to abortion, and no such right is implicitly protected by any constitutional provision, including the one on which the defenders of Roe and Casey now chiefly rely — the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment.”
  • “Roe was egregiously wrong from the start. Its reasoning was exceptionally weak, and the decision has had damaging consequences. And far from bringing about a national settlement of the abortion issue, Roe and Casey have enflamed debate and deepened division.”
  • “It is time to heed the Constitution and return the issue of abortion to the people’s elected representatives.”
  • “The dissent argues that we have “abandon[ed]” stare de- cisis, post, at 30, but we have done no such thing, and it is the dissent’s understanding of stare decisis that breaks with tradition.”
  • “We end this opinion where we began. Abortion presents a profound moral question. The Constitution does not pro- hibit the citizens of each State from regulating or prohibiting abortion. Roe and Casey arrogated that authority. We now overrule those decisions and return that authority to the people and their elected representatives.”

It started with her. Call it fair. And all history is a retrospect type of thing. Factual facts are factual.
It's strategic thing, I get it, but I also don't like making good people into th3 villain because one mistake

It's strategic thing, I get it, but I also don't like making good people into th3 villain because one mistake
Good people do fukc up and it was a MAJOR mistake. I'm not undoing her entire career but you have to be objective. She played political jeopardy and lost, bigly.

Good people do fukc up and it was a MAJOR mistake. I'm not undoing her entire career but you have to be objective. She played political jeopardy and lost, bigly.
I don't disagree. She was a good person who made a mistake, it happens

All true. But how did we get there? This shit might have been different had RBG retired in 2012 when Obama asked her to and he could have appointed her replacement. Her selfishness initiated this. Let's say she didn't have cancer and Trump was re-elected. WTF was the left's strategy? "Hey Ruth, can you hold out until you're 92 and we will try to replace you then?" Insanity.

They whiffed bigly on Scalia and then paid the price in spades with Trump's three picks. Get your shit together, people. I mean, NO ONE should be surprised by this. All democrats do is lose and whine and then act shocked when it turns out badly.
The point is Roe was a decision supported by 3/4 of the conservative justices on the Supreme Court. It wasn’t a partisan decision. Overturning was exactly that. In 50 years the GOP has moved further right and the Democratic Party had move further left. Which leaves most people holding their nose when participating in the political process. Democrats should have been smarter when appointing justices, but we shouldn’t be appointing specific justices just to get a case outcome that we want anyway. And let’s not forget Moscow Mitch left the Supreme Court at 8 members for an entire year rather than even allowing a vote on an Obama appointee. So let’s not act like Democrats were ever going to get an appointment through until they once again controlled the Senate.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
The point is Roe was a decision supported by 3/4 of the conservative justices on the Supreme Court. It wasn’t a partisan decision. Overturning was exactly that. In 50 years the GOP has moved further right and the Democratic Party had move further left. Which leaves most people holding their nose when participating in the political process. Democrats should have been smarter when appointing justices, but we shouldn’t be appointing specific justices just to get a case outcome that we want any And let’s not forget Moscow Mitch left the Supreme Court at 8 members for an entire year rather than even allowing a vote on an Obama appointee. So let’s not act like Democrats were ever going to get an appointment through until they once again controlled the Senate.
We are going to live in a catholic theocracy If we aren't careful

The point is Roe was a decision supported by 3/4 of the conservative justices on the Supreme Court. It wasn’t a partisan decision. Overturning was exactly that. In 50 years the GOP has moved further right and the Democratic Party had move further left. Which leaves most people holding their nose when participating in the political process. Democrats should have been smarter when appointing justices, but we shouldn’t be appointing specific justices just to get a case outcome that we want anyway. And let’s not forget Moscow Mitch left the Supreme Court at 8 members for an entire year rather than even allowing a vote on an Obama appointee. So let’s not act like Democrats were ever going to get an appointment through until they once again controlled the Senate.
I am simply pointing out how we got here. And your last bit is quite true, which makes the RBG retirement in 2012 to be even more important.

And Moscow Mitch played that to a T--all legally.

Roe was a 7-2 decision. 3 of the affirmatives were Republicans. It wasn’t a decision pushed through by liberal justices. The overturn was certainly a political strategy and a campaign promise of Donald Trump who appointed more justices as a one term president than any before him.
Stop it. That was a liberally-leaning court. Regardless, it doesn’t make it right.

Stop it. That was a liberally-leaning court. Regardless, it doesn’t make it right.
Stop what? Facts? Doesn’t make what right? Politicizing the Supreme Court and planting specific justices to achieve a specific decision? I agree. That’s not right.

By the way, 6 of the justices on the court in 1972 had been appointed by Republican presidents. JFK, FDR, and LBJ each appointed 1. And the vote wasn’t 5-4. It was 7-2. Now we have a reality TV show host appointing a third of the court but 50 years ago we were more liberal. LMFAO.

Stop what? Facts? Doesn’t make what right? Politicizing the Supreme Court and planting specific justices to achieve a specific decision? I agree. That’s not right.
You think that didn’t happen 50 years ago? This is the reversal of one of the most egregious SCOTUS decisions and it gives the power back to the legislature where it belongs. Y’all are just pissed that the unfettered leftist judicial activism of the last 50 years at all levels has finally been checked.

Now go vote in progressive representatives and Senators and get what you want done. Democratically. I mean, isn’t that the way we avoid a theocracy in the first place?

And stop whining because the SCOTUS didn’t make abortion illegal with this decision. They just took the court out of it. Stop acting like it’s the end of the world.

You think that didn’t happen 50 years ago? This is the reversal of one of the most egregious SCOTUS decisions and it gives the power back to the legislature where it belongs. Y’all are just pissed that the unfettered leftist judicial activism of the last 50 years at all levels has finally been checked.

Now go vote in progressive representatives and Senators and get what you want done. Democratically. I mean, isn’t that the way we avoid a theocracy in the first place?

And stop whining because the SCOTUS didn’t make abortion illegal with this decision. They just took the court out of it. Stop acting like it’s the end of the world.
I’m not pissed at all. Stating facts doesn’t mean abortions laws have any impact on me personally.

It's hot as shit, I don't know yall deal with this. But I do love clearwater beach
Orlando is even hotter. The sand is killer hot right now as is a couple of blocks off the beach. It’s still an amazing place even though it’s changed a lot in the last 20-25 years. Even the last 5-10. I have a few go to spots that I’ve picked out over the years. A few closed/

I use to have a place (rented it) in the Mandalay Beach Club. It’s now going for double of what I bought it for. Crazy!

I was going to move there, but I may now settle in Dunedin. Still looking and undecided

Reactions: Poolside Knight
We are going to live in a catholic theocracy If we aren't careful
What do you mean? This decision makes it crystal clear we already are living in a Catholic theocracy. It's the only way you can explain it.
Here are key lines from the majority opinion:
All of the key points you outlined in the majority opinion were once trotted out by the SCOTUS to justify allowing the individual States to be the ones to determine the civil rights of Black people. This decision is just another attempt to do the same thing with the civil rights of women.

Reactions: Cubs79
There is a reason the founding fathers wanted a separation of church and state, they didn't want the influence of a specific group. They wanted everyone to practice religion freely. If a religious group wants to get political and contribute to PAC, they absolutely should be taxed.

Reactions: NinjaKnight
Roe was a 7-2 decision. 3 of the affirmatives were Republicans. It wasn’t a decision pushed through by liberal justices. The overturn was certainly a political strategy and a campaign promise of Donald Trump who appointed more justices as a one term president than any before him.
I was referring to Shucks statement of how much approval went down for court from 2001 to 2021. Really wasn't speaking of this decision. I remember a case where Ginsburg and another ignored the constitution and US law and went to international law to form their decision, and when Roberts changed what Obamacare said in order to keep it in place. The Court has been a purely political animal for a long time, if not always.

While I am personally pro life and think Roe was bad law, I also think the SCOTUS overstepped on this ruling when they went past the case put in front of them.

Reactions: UCFBS
It's kind of funny he didn't bring that up isn't it?
Again, its all about their tunnel vision. With this totalitarian MAGA crowd, it's screw everybody who looks at the world differently from me.

The 'logic' employed by these yahoos is mindboggling. These people get on their high-horses and whine about 'government overreach' during a pandemic --- yet actively promote the government forcing women to be human incubators??!?

Who wants to tell her?

I am now 90% sure today's GOP is actually just fücking with us, they want to see how idiotic they can be while still keeping their brainwashed cult members.

• Haha
Reactions: MACHater02
I was referring to Shucks statement of how much approval went down for court from 2001 to 2021. Really wasn't speaking of this decision. I remember a case where Ginsburg and another ignored the constitution and US law and went to international law to form their decision, and when Roberts changed what Obamacare said in order to keep it in place. The Court has been a purely political animal for a long time, if not always.

While I am personally pro life and think Roe was bad law, I also think the SCOTUS overstepped on this ruling when they went past the case put in front of them.
This is probably one of the best and most accurate statements.

The other thing I like to point out is that there are only 3 Conservative Justices, not 6. The other 3 are Libertarian Justices (Gorsuch, Kavanaugh, Roberts), but they believe in Congress over the SCOTUS and State/Local over Federal in most cases. Proof?

The dual-vaccine mandate ruling showed this. The Libertarians sided with the Progressives on Federal employees and some contractors, but sided with the Conservatives on Private employees.

Although it will be interesting if the US Congress passes Abortion legislation. Some of the Libertarians may back that over the State/Local laws, depending.

In any case, applies regardless ...

This is probably one of the best and most accurate statements.

The other thing I like to point out is that there are only 3 Conservative Justices, not 6. The other 3 are Libertarian Justices (Gorsuch, Kavanaugh, Roberts), but they believe in Congress over the SCOTUS and State/Local over Federal in most cases. Proof?

The dual-vaccine mandate ruling showed this. The Libertarians sided with the Progressives on Federal employees and some contractors, but sided with the Conservatives on Private employees.

Although it will be interesting if the US Congress passes Abortion legislation. Some of the Libertarians may back that over the State/Local laws, depending.

In any case, applies regardless ...

What imbecile, narcissist cites their own Twitter feed as a source. Lol 😂😂😂😂

What imbecile, narcissist cites their own Twitter feed as a source. Lol 😂😂😂😂
giphy.gif

lmao you guys be nice, don't pick on obviously mentally handicapped people like BS.

I've notice all the usual suspects who love opining on this subject have been strangely silent.

Perhaps these staunch vaccine 'freedom fighters' are keenly aware of how awkward it is for them to be endorsing the Big Bad Government's intrusion into the personal lives of over half of this country's population

i dont see a problem with the ruling. it just sends the issue back to the states to decide.
The same people that are screaming about the supposed threat to the existence of Democracy that 1/6 was and that Republicans pose in general are incensed that states are going to exercise their Democratic processes and legislate to restrict abortions.

The same people that are screaming about the supposed threat to the existence of Democracy that 1/6 was and that Republicans pose in general are incensed that states are going to exercise their Democratic processes and legislate to restrict abortions.

Except many (if not most) states governments at this point arent overly Democratic due to extreme gerrymandering and other issues. In NC several years ago the Republican governor lost his election, so the legislature decided to change all kinds of rules so the new Democratic governor had many of his powers and authorities restricted or taken away, despite the fact the most people in the state supported him. These things do go on around the country. Most people in the country are pro choice, even a significant amount of Republicans are pro choice. It isnt Democratic for legislatures to take away rights that most people in their state agree with.

Reactions: hemightbejeremy
Let's be honests here: the same people who have been pushing for the States to 'exercise their democratic processes' are the same ones who used the 'let the States decide' argument to promote slavery and, in more modern times, segregation.

When it comes to civil rights, we cannot allow unequal treatment in this country depending on whether you live in Illinois or a State like Mississippi.

Reactions: NinjaKnight
Except many (if not most) states governments at this point arent overly Democratic due to extreme gerrymandering and other issues. In NC several years ago the Republican governor lost his election, so the legislature decided to change all kinds of rules so the new Democratic governor had many of his powers and authorities restricted or taken away, despite the fact the most people in the state supported him. These things do go on around the country. Most people in the country are pro choice, even a significant amount of Republicans are pro choice. It isnt Democratic for legislatures to take away rights that most people in their state agree with.
Oh of course. If they’re not going to go your way, then they must be illegitimate. Because redistricting is only a Republican thing. Do you understand how hypocritical you all are when you whine about people not accepting 2020 without question and then you go on and whine like this?

Also, abortion has never been recognized as a natural or civil right. So how is a legislature going to take away a right that was never legally recognized?

Oh of course. If they’re not going to go your way, then they must be illegitimate. Because redistricting is only a Republican thing. Do you understand how hypocritical you all are when you whine about people not accepting 2020 without question and then you go on and whine like this?

Also, abortion has never been recognized as a natural or civil right. So how is a legislature going to take away a right that was never legally recognized?

I never said anything about illegitimate elections and I never said gerrymandering was only a Republican thing, you completely applied that to my argument when I didnt say it. I am saying state governments arent nearly as Democratic as you are making it out to be. There are states all over this country where 1 party gets more overall votes, or it is at least pretty close, but due to gerrymandering one party has most of, if not all of the power in the state. That isnt Democracy, that is curbing the system to one parties advantage.

I've notice all the usual suspects who love opining on this subject have been strangely silent.
Hello? I'm mega Pro-Choice. I utterly disagree with all three (3) Libertarian Justices siding with the three (3) Conservatives.

Although I wasn't sure about Justice Gorsuch, and figured he might side with the Conservatives, everything to date suggested Justice Roberts would likely be joined by Justice Kavanaugh, in stating it was a Federal Civil Rights matter, so within the perview of the SCOTUS.

The only thing I can think of is that since Mississippi's 15 week limit didn't the most restrictive terms in Roe v. Wade itself -- i.e., Roe allows not only limits after 25 weeks (after second trimester), but even after 12 (after first) -- that they think it's compatible. I disagree with that reading of Roe, but ... I'm not a Justice.

I think the biggest problem here is that people think Roe protects all abortions at any week. That's false. Roe actually allows states to put limits after not just 25 weeks, but -- again -- even 12, although the terms in the latter case are more restrictive.

As always ... the best way to solve this is with an US Constitutional Amendment. Unfortunately, too many states are Conservative to get much movement, much less a supermajority if it would reach the point of a vote.

Perhaps these staunch vaccine 'freedom fighters' are keenly aware of how awkward it is for them to be endorsing the Big Bad Government's intrusion into the personal lives of over half of this country's population
Again, you're ignoring me. But that's what I expect out of a person who votes Authoritarian ... from W. to Biden. You fail to see anything other than through your "I'm a recovering Conservative" viewpoint, as if not just Libertarians, but Liberals, don't exist.

That's what some Progressives are, those who loved Hillary like they loved W. initially, and have praised Obama and, now, Biden et al. for their anti-1st Amendment moves. So ... you don't care that people like me exist that are against the Authoritarian state ... period.

This is the reversal of one of the most egregious SCOTUS decisions and it gives the power back to the legislature where it belongs.
Taking State control over a woman's reproductive rights is a REVERSAL of one of the most egrgious SCOTUS decision? Maybe, if we lived in a Catholic theocracy but -- news flash -- we don't and never have.
That's like saying it was perfectly fine for individual States to enforce segregation.

I never said anything about illegitimate elections and I never said gerrymandering was only a Republican thing, you completely applied that to my argument when I didnt say it. I am saying state governments arent nearly as Democratic as you are making it out to be. There are states all over this country where 1 party gets more overall votes, or it is at least pretty close, but due to gerrymandering one party has most of, if not all of the power in the state. That isnt Democracy, that is curbing the system to one parties advantage.
It's a hell of a lot closer to Democracy than concentrating power in the Federal government and having an authoritarian court force morality by judicial fiat. That's the road to that fascism that you're so worried about.

As for gerrymandering, the States' democratically-elected representatives wrote and enacted a state constitution that lays out the rules for districting, for referendum, and for recall. Then a court appointed and confirmed by state politicians on both sides (or even through public vote) evaluates the conformance of each redistricting to the rules set by the democratically-elected representatives. Either party can challenge the results of the redistricting and also the fairness of the rules themselves, and often do successfully. Because this is not a part of the federal government, the federal government can also ensure some level of fairness and investigate malfeasance. And along with all this we have media and an information dissemination capability to shine the light of public opinion strongly on corrupt systems and politicians. IOW, it's a democratic republic system with multiple checks and balances inherent and in the private sector.

So tell me, how would you like to change the system so that you can regain the faith in it that you have obviously lost?

Reactions: UCFBS
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT