ADVERTISEMENT

Roe v Wade overturned

It's a hell of a lot closer to Democracy than concentrating power in the Federal government and having an authoritarian court force morality by judicial fiat. That's the road to that fascism that you're so worried about.

As for gerrymandering, the States' democratically-elected representatives wrote and enacted a state constitution that lays out the rules for districting, for referendum, and for recall. Then a court appointed and confirmed by state politicians on both sides (or even through public vote) evaluates the conformance of each redistricting to the rules set by the democratically-elected representatives. Either party can challenge the results of the redistricting and also the fairness of the rules themselves, and often do successfully. Because this is not a part of the federal government, the federal government can also ensure some level of fairness and investigate malfeasance. And along with all this we have media and an information dissemination capability to shine the light of public opinion strongly on corrupt systems and politicians. IOW, it's a democratic republic system with multiple checks and balances inherent and in the private sector.

So tell me, how would you like to change the system so that you can regain the faith in it that you have obviously lost?
It can go both ways, but GOP has really taken advantage. Particularly in Florida. This latest round of gerrymandered maps submitted aims to give republicans a supermajority in the lower house (they currently have 65% of seats and need 67%). In a swing state where the governor’s mansion is decided by less than half a percent. I know you vote Republican so you want to downplay the effects this has, but when the vast majority of state legislature seats are red (or blue) and deviate drastically from statewide race results this belies the notion that there is no problem.

It's a hell of a lot closer to Democracy than concentrating power in the Federal government and having an authoritarian court force morality by judicial fiat. That's the road to that fascism that you're so worried about.

As for gerrymandering, the States' democratically-elected representatives wrote and enacted a state constitution that lays out the rules for districting, for referendum, and for recall. Then a court appointed and confirmed by state politicians on both sides (or even through public vote) evaluates the conformance of each redistricting to the rules set by the democratically-elected representatives. Either party can challenge the results of the redistricting and also the fairness of the rules themselves, and often do successfully. Because this is not a part of the federal government, the federal government can also ensure some level of fairness and investigate malfeasance. And along with all this we have media and an information dissemination capability to shine the light of public opinion strongly on corrupt systems and politicians. IOW, it's a democratic republic system with multiple checks and balances inherent and in the private sector.

So tell me, how would you like to change the system so that you can regain the faith in it that you have obviously lost?

Why is it better for state governments to force morality? Morality being forced on you is morality being forced on you no matter if it is by the judicial system, the state government, or if you are kidnapped by a radical cult who forces your morals on you. Roe v Wade didnt force morals on anyone, it let individuals decide what their morality said on this issue.

gerrymandering issue would be an easy fix. You have a bipartisan commission made up of equal amount Democrats and equal amount Republicans, and they draw the maps by having to work together and compromise, etc. THat would be a much better system then letting legislatures, especially ones dominated by 1 party, draw their own maps, because then they are just drawing maps to protect their own power. And yes, I know that maps can be challenged in courts, but if judges are appointed by a single party or elected by a partisan vote, then that isnt always going to be an answer.

I dont know if there is a fix to the system. Our country is governed based on big money donors and I dont know how you get politicians to get away from that.

Why is it better for state governments to force morality? Morality being forced on you is morality being forced on you no matter if it is by the judicial system, the state government, or if you are kidnapped by a radical cult who forces your morals on you. Roe v Wade didnt force morals on anyone, it let individuals decide what their morality said on this issue.

gerrymandering issue would be an easy fix. You have a bipartisan commission made up of equal amount Democrats and equal amount Republicans, and they draw the maps by having to work together and compromise, etc. THat would be a much better system then letting legislatures, especially ones dominated by 1 party, draw their own maps, because then they are just drawing maps to protect their own power. And yes, I know that maps can be challenged in courts, but if judges are appointed by a single party or elected by a partisan vote, then that isnt always going to be an answer.

I dont know if there is a fix to the system. Our country is governed based on big money donors and I dont know how you get politicians to get away from that.
do you think abortion is a moral issue?

do you think abortion is a moral issue?

Of course. Most peoples views on abortion are based on when they think human life starts and not everyone believes that the second a sperm touches an egg that we have a human life. There are varying views on that. I have seen things on twitter by some Jewish people (this might be a certain denominations or the entirety of Judaism (I am not sure), where abortion is not only allowed, but actually recommended in certain situations, certainly with regards to any health risks to the mother.

It's a hell of a lot closer to Democracy than concentrating power in the Federal government and having an authoritarian court force morality by judicial fiat.

A woman having control over her own body is a civil rights issue, period. If a person's faith makes abortion a moral issue as you suggest, it's a moral issue for them. No Court was forcing anyone to get an abortion.

Roe v Wade was made law 50 years ago because this is a democracy with citizens representing different faiths and different beliefs. News Flash: this is not a Catholic theocracy. Non-Catholic (or Catholic) women shouldn't have Big Government dictating what they can do or not do with their bodies. I could've sworn this is The Core Belief of 'small goverment' Conservatives.

A woman having control over her own body is a civil rights issue, period.
One of the few times we 100% agree.

I just wish you would apply that to everyone's individual rights, that they know better than the state for themselves.

i dont see a problem with the ruling. it just sends the issue back to the states to decide.
I don't think SCOTUS goes far enough. If you think putting this choice at the state level is a good idea, why not put it at the county level? Or, even better, how about putting the choice at the city level? Or even better: leave the choice at the individual level.

Last edited:
A woman having control over her own body is a civil rights issue, period. If a person's faith makes abortion a moral issue as you suggest, it's a moral issue for them. No Court was forcing anyone to get an abortion.

Roe v Wade was made law 50 years ago because this is a democracy with citizens representing different faiths and different beliefs. News Flash: this is not a Catholic theocracy. Non-Catholic (or Catholic) women shouldn't have Big Government dictating what they can do or not do with their bodies. I could've sworn this is The Core Belief of 'small goverment' Conservatives.
Roe v Wade wasn’t a law. The case decision was cited in prevention of laws intended to ban abortions.

It can go both ways, but GOP has really taken advantage. Particularly in Florida. This latest round of gerrymandered maps submitted aims to give republicans a supermajority in the lower house (they currently have 65% of seats and need 67%). In a swing state where the governor’s mansion is decided by less than half a percent. I know you vote Republican so you want to downplay the effects this has, but when the vast majority of state legislature seats are red (or blue) and deviate drastically from statewide race results this belies the notion that there is no problem.
Oh I get it. I also grew up in Chicago and Florida’s got nothing on that political machine. The point is that there are checks and balances and the power of the public has never been stronger. Unfortunately, it feels like the public wants to consolidate more and more power in the federal government and that is the true danger. Not local jurisdictions or states playing the usual political games.

Oh I get it. I also grew up in Chicago and Florida’s got nothing on that political machine. The point is that there are checks and balances and the power of the public has never been stronger. Unfortunately, it feels like the public wants to consolidate more and more power in the federal government and that is the true danger. Not local jurisdictions or states playing the usual political games.
This issue has nothing to do with the federal government. It has to do with if the right to an abortion is a constitutionally protected right. The courts interpretation up until this week has been yes. You may feel the answer should be no, but if the answer is yes then it is a nationwide protection. You can admit that there are some things that should be protected at a national level.

This issue has nothing to do with the federal government. It has to do with if the right to an abortion is a constitutionally protected right. The courts interpretation up until this week has been yes. You may feel the answer should be no, but if the answer is yes then it is a nationwide protection. You can admit that there are some things that should be protected at a national level.
There absolutely are things that should be protected on a national level. They are enumerated or are very clearly spelled out and stem from the rights to life, Liberty, and property. The court never should’ve invented a right out of whole cloth. Especially when it’s one life exercising a right that destroys another one’s natural right to life. Setting that line is, and always should be, the legislative branch’s job. That branch should stop with the political theater and go do their actual jobs.

Of course. Most peoples views on abortion are based on when they think human life starts and not everyone believes that the second a sperm touches an egg that we have a human life. There are varying views on that. I have seen things on twitter by some Jewish people (this might be a certain denominations or the entirety of Judaism (I am not sure), where abortion is not only allowed, but actually recommended in certain situations, certainly with regards to any health risks to the mother.
if its a moral issue, what is the moral argument in favor of abortion?

He gets ignored on the Huskerboard, so he comes back here to feed his obsession and sick need for attention. Pathetic loser is probably still making racist comments over there and threatening to shoot people
Was the red line on his wrists or neck?

• Haha
Reactions: Ucfmikes
How can you argue that a ruling granting state governments more power to regulate something is less authoritarian?

There's not much of one. That's why nearly all people, especially women, choose to be against abortion ... individually.

But the supermajority of Americans want it to be an individual choice ... like all moral arguments ... statism-wise (actually, anti-statism).

For Libertarian Christians, this is a no-brainer ... abortion is legal, regulated, safe ... with massive pressure never to ever let oneself engage in it ... individually.

We trust the individual, including women, more than the state. Elites, politicians, celebrities ... even Catholic nuns (with some Churches' blessings) ... will still have abortions, if illegal, and much safer than the everyday masses who choose the illegal route too.

How can you argue that a ruling granting state governments more power to regulate something is less authoritarian?
The US model is all about decentralization of power. Sure, you inevitably get some corrupt areas and some authoritarian areas (as you do in any system), but they are smaller, easier to change, and affect less people. You also create options for people to be Americans and yet live different lifestyles. Which is freedom. Don't like the state you're in, you have the freedom to move to another that fits your values and needs.

Which is not true when it is a centralized federal government making the rules for the entire country. Consolidating more power in fewer people is always going to be more authoritarian. Having 50 governments that are cohesive but somewhat independent is always less authoritarian that having 1 government with a bunch of states with no power of their own.

There's not much of one. That's why nearly all people, especially women, choose to be against abortion ... individually.

But the supermajority of Americans want it to be an individual choice ... like all moral arguments ... statism-wise (actually, anti-statism).

For Libertarian Christians, this is a no-brainer ... abortion is legal, regulated, safe ... with massive pressure never to ever let oneself engage in it ... individually.

We trust the individual, including women, more than the state. Elites, politicians, celebrities ... even Catholic nuns (with some Churches' blessings) ... will still have abortions, if illegal, and much safer than the everyday masses who choose the illegal route too.
Another question: Why are the people most angry about the Dobbs decision those living in areas where there will be very little, if any, restrictions on abortion?

What do you think the role of the federal government in the US is and should be?

The US model is all about decentralization of power. Sure, you inevitably get some corrupt areas and some authoritarian areas (as you do in any system), but they are smaller, easier to change, and affect less people. You also create options for people to be Americans and yet live different lifestyles. Which is freedom. Don't like the state you're in, you have the freedom to move to another that fits your values and needs.

Which is not true when it is a centralized federal government making the rules for the entire country. Consolidating more power in fewer people is always going to be more authoritarian. Having 50 governments that are cohesive but somewhat independent is always less authoritarian that having 1 government with a bunch of states with no power of their own.
Decentralization of power, and keeping power as close to the people as possible, is indeed a key component of our model. On that we agree. But to point out what I see as an error your logic, apply this same philosophy to guns (and yes the left makes equal but opposite errors in their logic on this as well).

Until last Friday, abortion was a federally protected right subject to state regulation. Really no different than the a 2nd Amendment right to bear arms. The power of state, federal, and local governments to regulate either existed, but was limted. Imagine SCOTUS pivoted to an extremely states-rights reading of the 2nd Amendment (in lieu of individual rights), and ruled the 2nd A only applied to members of regulated state militias. As a result, a handful of deeply blue states effectively banned the private ownership of firearms.

By your logic, this would be less authoritarian and more in line our federalist principles. From my perspective, this would be the opposite. It would say that small majorities are able to strip freedoms from individuals.

The debate here isn't over federalism - it's over individual freedom and how much power you think government at any level should hold. It's fine to make pro-life argument, but don't pretend that allowing government to create new regulations over peoples bodies and medical decisions is somehow pro-freedom.

What do you think the role of the federal government in the US is and should be?
The federal government doesn’t have a singular role. Nor should it. But Roe v Wade was a constitutional interpretation giving a women a fundamental right to access to an abortion. This supersedes any federal or state law on the matter. Overturning it didn’t make it a states rights issue. The fact that there is no preemptive federal law banning the banning of abortions is what allows states to set laws. Until a time when a federal law is passed.

Decentralization of power, and keeping power as close to the people as possible, is indeed a key component of our model. On that we agree. But to point out what I see as an error your logic, apply this same philosophy to guns (and yes the left makes equal but opposite errors in their logic on this as well).

Until last Friday, abortion was a federally protected right subject to state regulation. Really no different than the a 2nd Amendment right to bear arms. The power of state, federal, and local governments to regulate either existed, but was limted. Imagine SCOTUS pivoted to an extremely states-rights reading of the 2nd Amendment (in lieu of individual rights), and ruled the 2nd A only applied to members of regulated state militias. As a result, a handful of deeply blue states effectively banned the private ownership of firearms.

By your logic, this would be less authoritarian and more in line our federalist principles. From my perspective, this would be the opposite. It would say that small majorities are able to strip freedoms from individuals.

The debate here isn't over federalism - it's over individual freedom and how much power you think government at any level should hold. It's fine to make pro-life argument, but don't pretend that allowing government to create new regulations over peoples bodies and medical decisions is somehow pro-freedom.
Really no difference is an out and out falsehood. There is a critical difference between the 2A enumerated right and the court-created "right" to abortion. The courts aren't "government" in that they should have no power to create new rights. Period. People with lifetime appointments should not be creating or removing rights independent of the legislature. The only way that you can hold your argument is to deny the separation of powers between the judiciary and the legislature.

Another question: Why are the people most angry about the Dobbs decision those living in areas where there will be very little, if any, restrictions on abortion?
Now this is something I 99% agree with!

I'm tired of DC and California, along with New York and Chicago, deciding what everyone else should deal with. Hunger Games 101 ... right down to segregating all of us against one another.

I still disagree with the decision, but you are 99% correct.

Really no difference is an out and out falsehood. There is a critical difference between the 2A enumerated right and the court-created "right" to abortion. The courts aren't "government" in that they should have no power to create new rights. Period. People with lifetime appointments should not be creating or removing rights independent of the legislature. The only way that you can hold your argument is to deny the separation of powers between the judiciary and the legislature.
Some rights are broadly defined in the constitution. Which is why we have justices that interpret it. But I do tend to agree that our civil and human rights in 2022 should have been specifically enumerated in the 18th century.

The US model is all about decentralization of power.
Not when it comes to civil rights.
Sure, you inevitably get some corrupt areas and some authoritarian areas (as you do in any system), but they are smaller, easier to change, and affect less people.
LOL. Yeah, George Wallace, the staunch segregationist governor back in the day made Alabama just 'a small corrupt and authoritarian area' that only affected the State's Black population--so what was the big deal, right? :rolleyes:
You also create options for people to be Americans and yet live different lifestyles. Which is freedom.
Jesus Christ, the convoluted logic employed in that take is mind-boggling. So denying women their reproductive rights in some places but not others is...freedom. Ooooooooooooookay.

Reactions: NinjaKnight

From a legal perspective there's no difference between an enumerated right and and an un-enumerated one. Both are subject to the case law that governs them. You personally view them differently, but legally they weren't until last Friday.

But you seem far too deferential to government power here over individuals. This isn't a two way street. My opinion is that government has a very limited role in regulating personal medical decisions by adult US citizens based on moral beliefs.

Your position is that as long as it's a state legislature, it's all fair game. That's not a "small government" position - it's a very big-government position.

From a legal perspective there's no difference between an enumerated right and and an un-enumerated one. Both are subject to the case law that governs them. You personally view them differently, but legally they weren't until last Friday.
But your own argument there is key! While I'm not against letting the SCOTUS clarify indvidual rights, and am a Roe v. Wade supporter, I still have to agree with @sk8knight's point here ... they are not the same, legally. I do think they matter just as much, but ...

As what happened, Roe v. Wade can be overturned, whereas the 2nd Amendment, like the 1st Amendment, is far more difficult. It's why bakers in Colorado win against their state too.

Amendments are always the most deterministic means by which the people can codify individual rights. And we could have and should have done this in the '90s.

The 'Family Values' Republicans were very much unlike the current Republican Religions Right, despite modern demonizations. They were open to 'hands off government' and 'individual rights.' But nope ... which brings me to ...

Why we, the people, haven't codified rights in an Amendment is beyond me. But if I had to guess ... a lot of this goes back to the Balanced Budget Amendment and a lot of lefties in the mid-to-late '90s saying, "I don't want to mess with the Constitution."

And that's where a lot of Millennial, as well as many Gen-X'ers and even some Boomer attitudes come from. Which is also why many Millennials and Zoomers think tearing down the US Constitution -- let alone the Bill of Rights that was written from over 100 submissions from the people, even women! -- is needed, and it doesn't matter, because they were educated that they were a bunch of stupid, old, white men who owned slaves.

And I also remember saying at the time, in the '90s, when the economy was good, that it was the perfect time to strike with Amendments for both Equal Rights and Women's Rights. And sure enough, there were still many lefties that thought Marriage Equality was not only wrong, but ... they wanted Government to still codify marriage ... not just the Conservatives, who were growing into the Religious Right.

And you guys wonder why I'm such a hard-@$$ about such things? Because I've heard all this before. And then ... the lefties started throwing reporters in jail, and spying on reporters, claiming espionage and other things. Just like I recently pointed out ... Assange has been virtually incarcerated longer for allegedly 'encouraging someone with a clearance to break their contracts' than the person who actually did so!

I still cannot believe on the left make that argument, all because of Hillary, who was compromised via her campaign manager, who very much was a registered foreign agent of Russia! It kinda gets stupid at this point.

And why the left really has no standing. I honestly wish they'd stop being hypocrites, and let us true Liberals and Libertarians argue with Conservatives on why Roe v. Wade still matters. But nope ... it's gonna be W.-like tactics and authoritarianism, all while the right embraces Liberal ideas out of self-preservation ... gasp!

But you seem far too deferential to government power here over individuals.
And you're not? Should we revisit the anti-science, pro-'throw sh-- at the wall and hope it sticks,' and the endless resignation of our experts, during the pandemic?!

Every Liberal and Libertarian that was correct, was censored and silenced, just like with Theranos. Even now the US FDA Expert Panels are still trying to stop the bullsh-- that is still being flung.

The left and right are no longer defending rights, but destroying them ... each with their own arguments against the rights they do not like. It's comical how abortion and gun safety arguments are the exact same by the left/right and right/left, respectively.

This isn't a two way street. My opinion is that government has a very limited role in regulating personal medical decisions by adult US citizens based on moral beliefs.
What about self-defense then? I'm not even talking guns, but the right to take someone's life when they invade your home and assault your family? That's the thing.

If it was just 'gun safety,' I'd listen. But it's 'you'll get manslaughter' bullsh-- that empower criminals, along with outlawing self-defense insurance as well. And then we get the UK.

The hypocrisy of, "Oh, that individual right doesn't count, and should be outlawed, but this one does," is leading to the erosion of all rights. Each side tearing down the other.

Your position is that as long as it's a state legislature, it's all fair game. That's not a "small government" position - it's a very big-government position.
And now I have to agree with @sk8knight yet again, even though I don't want to. Yes, California is a powerful state government, but the left owns many of them. And yet, it's still smaller than federal, and it cannot declare war.

Most Republican states are much smaller, and far less powerful. So ... you cannot be on the left and say this. So ...

You have to come to the true Liberal position that all individual rights are to be protected by the federal. But as long as you say guns need to be restricted at the federal, you're just another hypocrite.

Which is why I wish people on the left would stop arguing from a position of hypocrisy, and join true Liberals and Libertarians who actually know how to argue from a position of non-hypocrisy, with Conservatives.

Let's assume for a second that we grant constitutional rights to an embryo at the moment of conception. Let's also remember that the pregnant woman is a US citizen with constitutional rights as well. She's done nothing illegal. Broken no laws. Given up no rights.

How then would you balance the rights of these two US citizens with competing interests?

We don't force people to be organ donors, even in death. We don't mandate that you donate a kidney to your sick relative or donate bone marrow. Why not? Why aren't those things even on the table if human life is sacred?

Very few of would think that the government mandating that the life of the sick hospital patient trumps all rights you have to bodily autonomy, and that forced kidney, blood, and bone marrow donations are necessary because life is sacred is the proper role of government.

Imagine your brother needs a bone marrow transplant to survive. I think most of would say morally, donating is the right thing to do. Simultaneously, we'd argue that society forcing you to assume these risks against your will is clearly an immoral violation of your personal autonomy.

So even in that extreme scenario where we say constitutional rights begin at conception, you'd still have a moral obligation to balance the rights of the embryo/fetus against the rights of the pregnant women.

Why we, the people, haven't codified rights in an Amendment is beyond me.
There you go! ^^^^^

Thanks to me, you've made a point that others here might actually pay attention to for once -- AND I saved you well over 1,000 f*king words in doing it.

• Haha
Reactions: Ucfmikes
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT