ADVERTISEMENT

Rumored Contract Extension Numbers

Nebraska could hire every coach that is in the College or Pro Football Hall of Fame and they are still not getting past Wisconsin, Ohio State, Michigan, or Michigan State.

I honestly don't think Scott's decision to leave or stay will come down to money, at least not his personal contract. He doesn't strike me as the kind of guy where that's a primary driving force. He's going to be paid obscene amounts of cash wherever he goes.

I also personally think the whole "going home" point is overrated and that being loyal to the organization that gave you your first big break and job is an equally compelling argument. As a new father, I know I'd rather raise my kids in Orlando than Lincoln (a decision I actually made).

In the end, it's going to come down to who's going to pay his assistants the most and who's going to give him the best chance at regularly playing in big, meaningful games and championships. I think NU and UCF are roughly tied on the assistant pay front (though I'm sure the Huskers will back up the Brinks truck if that's a sticking point in negotiations). Obviously NU has the edge towards playing for Championships by virtue of the P5 tag and the playoff system intentionally rigged against the G5.

I said it before, whatever he decides, I wish him the best and thank him for his contributions to the program. I just hope if does leave, he goes out in the right way: stays 100% committed to the school until the moment he's no longer employed, is honest to the players and admin up front (so they can prepare to find a replacement while credible candidates are still available), and doesn't take his whole staff with him right before the biggest game in program history.

I don't think you can resolve those deep seeded issues simply by firing the most recent AD. Location is an issue. Lost reputation is an issue. Trying to thrive on tradition when the sport is moving toward innovation and being "new" is an issue. Increased access to national exposure for smaller schools so recruits don't necessarily need to move so far away is an issue. Many of the same issues Notre Dame faced and is still facing in some respects.

Part of Nebraska's problem has been thinking that just changing coaches will solve everything. Frost is a coach familiar with both the Nebraska program AND what it takes to succeed in TODAY'S college football environment. That's why he is a MUST HAVE for Nebraska. And they need to stay out of his way if/when he gets there while also figuring out how you address some of these other issues.

Actually, the changes are higher than last AD... in the last few years we got a new University from Ole Miss, who allowed the old Chancelor who failed at nearly all things sports for 16 years, the new Chanceor is in his first full year on the job. He is a football guy, too. The changeover in staff higher than the AD has helped the University.

People aren’t high on Frost because we view him as an automatic champion, people don’t expect the 90’s to come back. They want someone who is innovative and believes in competing and doing things the right way. In the event Frost has wild success, he will play for a National Title.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT