ADVERTISEMENT

Terry turned down a 1-1 vs Washington

Ohio State agreed to a series at Oregon(that was
COVID delayed). Not every matchup is for recruiting . it is a great place for an OOC game
Fair points, I agree Washington would be a lovely place to visit and watch UCF play as a fan. Would also be a nice experience for the players.

But OSU and Oregon are at the top with recruiting.

A game against Washington does nothing for us in terms of recruiting. If we lose, we look bad to recruits, if we win, recruits don't care. No recruits from the states of FL, AL, GA are going to Washington anyway
What do FCS games do for recruits, or GT?

That's my issue. Until we can be done with FCS games (which we were for a couple years), I don't get passing on games like this.

We had one P5 game last regular season.

I mean going to the B12 may change this, as Terry said, but I'd like to know what the philosophy is, as the old philosophy didn't make much sense to me.

A game against Washington does nothing for us in terms of recruiting. If we lose, we look bad to recruits, if we win, recruits don't care. No recruits from the states of FL, AL, GA are going to Washington anyway
Disagree. Yes they are not a regional powerhouse (SEC) but they are traditionally good and the game would probably be on good tv slot. Recruits also like relevant games and winners.

Disagree. Yes they are not a regional powerhouse (SEC) but they are traditionally good and the game would probably be on good tv slot. Recruits also like relevant games and winners.
from a tv perspective more recruits would see us play Washington than FAU or FIU buried on a network a lot of people/sport bars don’t get or air

What do FCS games do for recruits, or GT?

That's my issue. Until we can be done with FCS games (which we were for a couple years), I don't get passing on games like this.

We had one P5 game last regular season.

I mean going to the B12 may change this, as Terry said, but I'd like to know what the philosophy is, as the old philosophy didn't make much sense to me.
from a tv perspective more recruits would see us play Washington than FAU or FIU buried on a network a lot of people/sport bars don’t get or air
You are comparing apples and oranges and distorting what I'm saying

Recruits are not deciding between UCF and FIU/FAU, we are obviously above those. As they are also not deciding between UCF and Washington, due to geography. In fact, no players from the South East are considering Washington.

Obviously Washington is a higher caliber opponent relative to FIU/FAU, duh.

What I'm saying is UCF would benefit more in recruiting if we played, say FSU, South Carolina, Ole Miss, or any mid-P5 school in the South East instead of Washington.

Why those schools? Because we compete with them for recruits and we have a decent shot to beat them.

FIU, FAU, FCS opponents are filler games. Just listen to Terry and Gus's actual interviews. You schedule 2-3 filler games, and 1 strong opponent in your OOC games.

We benefit most from recruiting if our OOC game is from a strong South Eastern Opponent

Last edited:
You are comparing apples and oranges and distorting what I'm saying

Recruits are not deciding between UCF and FIU/FAU, we are obviously above those. As they are also not deciding between UCF and Washington, due to geography. In fact, no players from the South East are considering Washington.

Obviously Washington is a higher caliber opponent relative to FIU/FAU, duh.

What I'm saying is UCF would benefit more in recruiting if we played, say FSU, South Carolina, Ole Miss, or any mid-P5 school in the South East instead of Washington.

Why those schools? Because we compete with them for recruits and we have a decent shot to beat them.

FIU, FAU, FCS opponents are filler games. Just listen to Terry and Gus's actual interviews. You schedule 2-3 filler games, and 1 strong opponent in your OOC games.

We benefit most from recruiting if our OOC game is from a strong South Eastern Opponent
The first thing I said in this thread was why can't we do both. Why do we need filler? This just feeds into the "play somebody" arguments that people make.

Yes, different going into the big 12, maybe.

They have a Team Captain at MLB is from Alabama and their starting QB & Team Captain is from Florida.

Let's use UCFacts instead of hyperbole.

CFB because of TV and more importantly internet streaming is a National Sport. Of course UCFans care about the opponent irregardless of the state they are from. To say otherwise is beyond UCFoolish

#UCFacts

Last edited:
Reactions: Poolside Knight
You want to be a national brand, you expose the team to markets that normally wouldn't see UCF.

We know Danny White's strategy created a rift with UCF and P5 schools, bold move to turndown P5 schools when they actually offer a 1-1.

They have Team Captain at MLB is from Alabama and their starting QB & Team Captain is from Florida.

Let's use UCFacts instead of hyperbole.

CFB because of TV and more importantly internet streaming is a National Sport. Of course UCFans care about the opponent irregardless of the state they are from. To say otherwise is beyond UCFoolish

#UCFacts
You proved my point thank you.

The linebacker was basically a walk on transfer from Pittsburgh and the QB was a transfer from IU.

No high schoolers from the South East are considering Washington!!!!

The first thing I said in this thread was why can't we do both. Why do we need filler? This just feeds into the "play somebody" arguments that people make.

Yes, different going into the big 12, maybe.
We need filler schools because we need to give players rest and get the back ups playing time. Just like Alabama, OSU, Michigan, and every other P5 school does.

Reactions: Knight Strength
You want to be a national brand, you expose the team to markets that normally wouldn't see UCF.

We know Danny White's strategy created a rift with UCF and P5 schools, bold move to turndown P5 schools when they actually offer a 1-1.
Want to be a national brand? You need to be the best. To do that, you need to get the best recruits. To do that, you need to convince the locals to stay home!

I agree with your goal, I disagree with the actions. Playing Washington does nothing for us from a recruiting standpoint.

Nobody cares about Washington. They have a decent program, but they are a regional brand.

Thought we were having trouble getting teams to schedule anything. No idea why we would turn that down.
We don't have trouble getting teams to schedule. We have trouble scheduling the teams we want to schedule.

We don't have trouble getting teams to schedule. We have trouble scheduling the teams we want to schedule.
Not going to get easier. B10/B12/P12 already only does 3 OOC. Wouldn't be surprised SEC which is getting two huge programs, and ACC already a big conference switching to 3 OOC.

Want to be a national brand? You need to be the best. To do that, you need to get the best recruits. To do that, you need to convince the locals to stay home!

I agree with your goal, I disagree with the actions. Playing Washington does nothing for us from a recruiting standpoint.

Nobody cares about Washington. They have a decent program, but they are a regional brand.
Want to be the best? You need money.

We need filler schools because we need to give players rest and get the back ups playing time. Just like Alabama, OSU, Michigan, and every other P5 school does.

Not being P5 (yet), we have plenty of filler on our conf schedule.

As I've said, but feel the need to repeat in every post, maybe this changes as we go to the B12. I'd like to know the new philosophy for OOC scheduling.

Reactions: U C to the F
Also true. Not sure how flying to Washington helps that.
Washington does get eyeballs (#12 TV Market). UCLA/Wash last year had more viewers in week 7 than UCF/Cincy on ABC in 2021.

Wash/Michigan had almost 5 million viewers in week 2 in 2021. UCF/Cincy 2018 on ABC/GameDay was 3 Million.

1 of 13 teams that has actually participated in Playoffs, 3 seasons in the last 8 years where they finished in top 20. Currently, ranked in top 20.

Not exactly an irrelevant program currently.

Last edited:
Washington does get eyeballs (#12 TV Market). UCLA/Wash last year had more viewers in week 7 than UCF/Cincy on ABC in 2021.

Wash/Michigan had almost 5 million viewers in week 2 in 2022. UCF/Cincy 2018 on ABC/GameDay was 3 Million.

1 of 13 teams that has actually participated in Playoffs, 3 seasons in the last 8 years where they finished in top 20. Currently, ranked in top 20.

Not exactly an irrelevant program currently.
Penix who UCF was after in the portal looked good last weekend and they beat Michigan State

Reactions: Knight Strength
Washington is pretty good this year. Looks like a top 15 team. Penix has more weapons at Washington than Indiana.

I'm willing to bet the B12 leadership asked us to not schedule this, as part of the zero sum game we are playing with the P??

And why Wash was talking to us to begin with....

Reactions: FoxKnight
I feel like more ppl should be really annoyed by this? After years of walking the line of “we only want 1 for 1’s with P5 teams” and then when we couldn’t get any “but no one will schedule us” and then we hear this. Washington is in that top tier and a great 1-1 get. It would be a marquee early season matchup and most likely a ranked matchup. Potential Gameday, national TV and prime time slot. All kinds of exposure not to mention the fans would like it, as opposed to another SC St or name any other regional lame matchup. Save for a handful in the SEC (Alabama, Auburn, LSU, UF) or ACC (Miami, FSU) who don’t have the need or want to, this is a missed opportunity.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT