ADVERTISEMENT

Terry turned down a 1-1 vs Washington

ohhhhhhhhhhhh TikTok Terry, a 1-1 with a historically good power program is better than a 2-1 with a regionally appropriate power program. 2-1's create future holes in your schedule that you then have to fill with a buy FCS game to make up for going away twice.

damn damn damn this guy.

Y'all are straight trolling if you really think the Washington game was a better idea than playing a 2-1 vs. Florida.

The payoff is tremendous if we can beat Florida in 2 of those games in our pitch to recruits.

We can keep claiming the *best in Florida* headline.

The payoff is zilch if we beat Washington.

And Washington is actually better than Florida.

I've said what I've had to say.

Last edited:
I feel like more ppl should be really annoyed by this? After years of walking the line of “we only want 1 for 1’s with P5 teams” and then when we couldn’t get any “but no one will schedule us” and then we hear this. Washington is in that top tier and a great 1-1 get. It would be a marquee early season matchup and most likely a ranked matchup. Potential Gameday, national TV and prime time slot. All kinds of exposure not to mention the fans would like it, as opposed to another SC St or name any other regional lame matchup. Save for a handful in the SEC (Alabama, Auburn, LSU, UF) or ACC (Miami, FSU) who don’t have the need or want to, this is a missed opportunity.
bc we have fan police that think you can’t question an AD.

I don't know the details but that would've been a cool series. That campus is absolutely beautiful and doesn't even compare to most of the campuses near us. Whoever said they didn't want to visit cloudy Seattle is an idiot.

I can see both sides of the argument but to me this was kind of dumb to call off unless there were some financial concessions here we aren't aware of e.g. we were somehow being screwed a bit

Turning down a 1-1 with Washington is straight up hypocritical. With how ridiculously open our future OOC Schedules are, we shouldn't be turning down any 1-1s with P5 teams.
Except for an irrelevant, boring college team in the complete opposite side of the country. Plus, and Terry might know this, there could be a chance they even end up coming to B12 and if so that means he'll need to scrap this game and work even harder to replace it. I don't think Terry's a dumb guy. I think if he turned this away something better could be on the table.

I don't know the details but that would've been a cool series. That campus is absolutely beautiful and doesn't even compare to most of the campuses near us. Whoever said they didn't want to visit cloudy Seattle is an idiot.

I can see both sides of the argument but to me this was kind of dumb to call off unless there were some financial concessions here we aren't aware of e.g. we were somehow being screwed a bit
Plz get on the phone with Terry and tell him you see both sides of the argument. Such clear, decisive information you've provided. Plz apply to be our next AD.

Except for an irrelevant, boring college team in the complete opposite side of the country. Plus, and Terry might know this, there could be a chance they even end up coming to B12 and if so that means he'll need to scrap this game and work even harder to replace it. I don't think Terry's a dumb guy. I think if he turned this away something better could be on the table.
This is bullshit. One of the first things Terry mentioned when he took over as AD was how desperate our OOC scheduling situation was, and used it as an excuse to schedule the Florida 2-1. He was right in that instance, he's wrong here. Since then he's scheduled a Maryland 1-1 and Sam Houston and New Hampshire. We have 3 games total scheduled between 2026 and 2030, when most P5 schools have these years mostly scheduled out. I foresee a lot more Sam Houston's and New Hampshires in our future.

Give me fresh matchups, Boise and Stanford are probably the two most fun home games we've had in the post-Milton era. So boring college team on the complete opposite side of the country is such a bogus argument.

"You are better off playing FAU." - Mohajir.

Only Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, and Baylor had more or equal relevance on national stage to Washington in the B12.

Look forward to a bunch of F_U, FCS matchups and P5 schools in the southeast pitching 2-1s since that is what the AD has publicly said they would prefer.

such an ignorant statement to call Washington a boring irrelevant Program. They were a West Coast Power(CFP appearance 2016) who have a better fanbase than Stanford that UCF Fans enjoyed several years ago with an awful team

it would be one thing if FIU or MAC Ohio is the other team offering a 1-1 , not Washington. Also take into account that since Terry picked the UF 2-1 it means we have to backload with at least one home game with a Famu/Austin P type game which fans hate (and possibly 2 if Uf tries to F UCF on the return game)

Unless you are in the SEC or Big 10 Super Leagues you should not turn down 1-1 with other P5 Programs. Worried about the Big12 jump in competition is weak

Last edited:
It’s not a bad decision being how much travel we’re already going to have to do when we are playing in the Big 12 next season.

Plz get on the phone with Terry and tell him you see both sides of the argument. Such clear, decisive information you've provided. Plz apply to be our next AD.
I mean no need to be an asshole, I'm just saying I don't know the details so I can see both sides of the decision assuming it was in our best interests...but purely objectively turning down Washington 1 for 1 is a dumb move.

such an ignorant statement to call Washington a boring irrelevant Program. They were a West Coast Power(CFP appearance 2016) who have a better fanbase than Stanford that UCF Fans enjoyed several years ago with an awful team

it would be one thing if FIU or MAC Ohio is the other team offering a 1-1 , not Washington. Also take into account that since Terry picked the UF 2-1 it means we have to backload with at least one home game with a Famu/Austin P type game which fans hate (and possibly 2 if Uf tries to F UCF on the return game)

Unless you are in the SEC or Big 10 Super Leagues you should not turn down 1-1 with other P5 Programs. Worried about the Big12 jump in competition is weak
The fact that Washington was compared to Oregon, UCLA and USC as not being relevant is hilarious also. I mean, UCLA was mentioned as a comparison?! When were they last relevant, Tim Couch years in 1997?

The fact that Washington was compared to Oregon, UCLA and USC as not being relevant is hilarious also. I mean, UCLA was mentioned as a comparison?! When were they last relevant, Tim Couch years in 1997?
I don't like any of those teams, I think they are all overrated and hyped up every year but fact remains usc and ucla ARE much more relevant than Washington otherwise they wouldn't have gotten their invites to the B10 and their phat pay days. Washington is out here begging to get invited but everyone knows Oregon is next man up.

Like it or not no one puts that much emphasis on Washington. When the average joe thinks of pac12, they think Oregon and the California schools.

I don't like any of those teams, I think they are all overrated and hyped up every year but fact remains usc and ucla ARE much more relevant than Washington otherwise they wouldn't have gotten their invites to the B10 and their phat pay days. Washington is out here begging to get invited but everyone knows Oregon is next man up.

Like it or not no one puts that much emphasis on Washington. When the average joe thinks of pac12, they think Oregon and the California schools.
You haven’t been paying attention, not a-typical for a casual sports fan. UCLA and USC to the B1G was solely based on the market they are in. Nothing more nothing less. Nothing to do with “relevance”.

You want a 1 for 1 with Rutgers then? Come on..

That argument means Maryland and Rutgers is more relevant than Clemson.

Reactions: U C to the F
"You are better off playing FAU." - Mohajir.

Only Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, and Baylor had more or equal relevance on national stage to Washington in the B12.

Look forward to a bunch of F_U, FCS matchups and P5 schools in the southeast pitching 2-1s since that is what the AD has publicly said they would prefer.
Quotes like this have to give USF fans hope. “Is their AD dumb enough to lobby for us? he hates airplanes’

I don’t think he understands our fanbase. I would much rather fly to Seattle or other Pac destinations for a September OOC game than some of the Big12 destinations. Also Orlando, Ft Lauderdale, & Tampa all have direct flights to Seattle
Perhaps travel costs are a major issue at play here? Regardless, it’s a bad decision. Washington has fielded a respectable program; and a win there could’ve boosted our team’s morale to start the season. Sometimes, spending money is necessary and worth it.

We looked very bush-league not sending our band to FAU last weekend. I was told money was an issue. If usf can afford to send their band, which is the same size as ours, from Tampa to Gainesville, we should have enough money to send the Marching Knights on a 3-hour bus ride down south.

I’m a little surprised how upset so many people are about this news. Up front, I will concede that Washington state is a beautiful place to visit, and a matchup with the Huskies would have been really fun.

But just a couple of things to try and remember:
-One less OOC game each year to work with in the B12 moving forward (from four to three games).
-Yes, one of those three games will be an FCS game, that’s just the way it is.
-The team has zero regional B12 games, will potentially travel to Utah, WV, OH, TX, OK, IA, KS, etc. Not unreasonable to not want to voluntarily travel thousands of miles on top of that.
-Lastly, we are new members in the B12. We don’t know the dynamics behind the scenes regarding who the B12 may be encouraging teams to schedule (or not schedule).

Getting angry about passing on a 1-for-1 because WE USED TO WORK SO HARD trying to find P5 teams to schedule is completely misguided, because back then UCF wasn’t in a P5 conference.

Now we are, it’s a whole new world.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would B12 not want us to schedule other P5 schools? I could see them saying don’t schedule FCS but not P5. Only thing i could think of is Washington is in talks of joining league and that game would get canceled. Why did Terry even announce he turned the offer down? I doubt he goes public with every offer he turns down.

2-for-1 with Florida > 1-for-1 with Washington

Long-term building a relationship with Florida is better for all our scheduling. Plus UCF can’t afford to buyout of the UF series.

Long-term building a relationship with Florida is better for all our scheduling. Plus UCF can’t afford to buyout of the UF series.
I am completely mystified why people are acting like this is a one or the other thing. We could schedule 10 games against Washinton and not effect the Florida series.

Why would B12 not want us to schedule other P5 schools? I could see them saying don’t schedule FCS but not P5. Only thing i could think of is Washington is in talks of joining league and that game would get canceled. Why did Terry even announce he turned the offer down? I doubt he goes public with every offer he turns down.
Makes zero sense to bring it up, if Washington is talking to the league. On top of that, doubling down on saying its better to not travel out west. Essentially he is saying he wants nothing to do with Washington for football. No way he wants any other team at UCF travelling to Washington or any other PAC12 team if they join B12.

Reactions: BlakNGoldAllDay
I mean there are scenarios where turning down the series with Washington would be acceptable. If Washington was insistent on the games being 2030 and 2033 the years we play Florida, I can understand being hesitant of stacking those games in the same year, but the chances of that being what they were asking for seems unlikely and if Mohajir was willing to admit they turned down the series which makes us look bad, you would think he would give that bit of detail too, to give a further explanation why. If it's simply just the travel, that's weak sauce.

White and Mohajir seem to be on the extreme opposite ends for scheduling philosophy. Seems like a headache for ADs across the country to negotiate with UCF.

If B12 wants to survive the arms war, they are going to have to take teams from out west. Mohajir has to deal with it, or UCF can be the odd man out.

If USF joins the B12, it will be Mohajir pushing it based on his insistence of focusing on Florida teams.

Looking at Washington's future schedule, my guess is they were probably asking for 2026 and 2027. If that's the case we should've said yes to that in a second.

No such thing as long term. In the past 20 years how many ADs have we had and UF? I dont know UF but weve had a bunch. Every time a new guy is hired the relationship starts over. TM may not be here in 5 years. Let alone 10-20.

I'd rather play Florida in the short term, especially when the pendulum is swinging in our direction. Especially over a team that I know nothing about because they normally start playing games at 10:30 EST. Don't care if its a 2 for 1 either. I'd love to see UCF beat UF. I'd love it even more if we could beat them 2 out of 3 games. I'd be in Heaven if it was 3 of 3. Heck we got lucky and were able to get our first W last year!

I don’t think he understands our fanbase. I would much rather fly to Seattle or other Pac destinations for a September OOC game than some of the Big12 destinations. Also Orlando, Ft Lauderdale, & Tampa all have direct flights to Seattle
I think you are not typical. most people can't afford to just grab a flight to Washington to catch a game. when they could drive to gainsvillle in less than 2 hours.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT