ADVERTISEMENT

The Coaching Thread

Great, now I have to check this thread AND the recruiting thread for coaching updates! :p

Something I’ve been wondering...

How does the defensive side of the ball feel with all of the offensive guys clamoring for Lebby instead of supporting Shannon (I don’t recall if any D guys were twittering for Lebby)

What about our push for an “offensive-minded” coach - could that splitting the locker room some?

(Personally, I’d like to keep the high-octane offense)

My top choices would be:

1. Malzahn
2. Harrell
3. Mark Helfrich (former Oregon HC)
4. Chizik - only if he promises to keep a high octane offense

My concern about Lebby is what has he really done? OC for us in name only, 1 year with Kiffin (is that even a positive? Did he call the offense there?). I'm also concerned about the players clamoring for him.....the "player coach" thing doesn't work that often.

I don't have a true favorite (presuming Tony Elliott stays put), but I hope these guys are vetted:
Napier, Chadwell, Harrell, Lebby, Malzahn, Lashlee, Marcus Freeman (1 DC).

Candle has dimmed in recent years. I do have concerns about commitment of Malzahn (or Herman). I am not sure UCF is "high enough" for what Napier and Chadwell can likely get in their next gig. I was a big Chizik fan...10-12 years ago.

Reactions: Knight Strength
Herman would fly to the top of my list if he was interested.....which I don't believe is the case.

Nice blast from the past with Candle....I don't think I've heard that name in a couple of years.
Candle has wanted the UCF job since 2016. no longer think he would be a good option

To attract Tony Elliott, UCF is going to have to offer $2.5 million at the minimum. That is more than any coach has made at UCF.

I would love for UCF to hire Napier but I don't know how much interest he would have. The man appears to be waiting for the right P5 job, possibly in the SEC.

I understand why everybody wants Lebby, fans and athletes, but maybe a fresh start would be a good thing. Lebby might bring baggage that a new AD doesn't need. Not to mention that the fast play offense is not as successful as it once was. Defenses are preparing better for it and more offenses are using it. Just my opinion, but we need a coach that uses the fast play offense, but be more creative and willing to make in-game adjustments. I'm not sure who that guy is, but Chadwell did that at Coastal Carolina the last couple of years. He also has a young staff, and a few of them played for him at CSU and have followed him as coaches from College of Charleston to Furman and then to CCU. Like I said, just my opinion.

Reactions: UCFathlete and Yaes
So I see Frost on a few lists.....is it just trolling? Because he is not a serious candidate from either side....he remains committed to re-building "that place" despite all the issues. And from our side, considering the circumstances of how he left....do we really want a re-boot? I don't....appreciate what he did, now it's over.

I understand why everybody wants Lebby, fans and athletes, but maybe a fresh start would be a good thing. Lebby might bring baggage that a new AD doesn't need. Not to mention that the fast play offense is not as successful as it once was. Defenses are preparing better for it and more offenses are using it. Just my opinion, but we need a coach that uses the fast play offense, but be more creative and willing to make in-game adjustments. I'm not sure who that guy is, but Chadwell did that at Coastal Carolina the last couple of years. He also has a young staff, and a few of them played for him at CSU and have followed him as coaches from College of Charleston to Furman and then to CCU. Like I said, just my opinion.
I haven’t deep dived but Coastal Carolina coach has some red flags as well. If Elliot isn’t an option Lebby may be ‘a fit’. and his offense is more multiple than Heup , that analytic account did a breakdown on how he uses the run game

Reactions: Yaes
I haven’t deep dived but Coastal Carolina coach has some red flags as well. If Elliot isn’t an option Lebby may be ‘a fit’. and his offense is more multiple than Heup , that analytic account did a breakdown on how he uses the run game
What reg flags do you see?

My top choices would be:

1. Malzahn
2. Harrell
3. Mark Helfrich (former Oregon HC)
4. Chizik - only if he promises to keep a high octane offense

My concern about Lebby is what has he really done? OC for us in name only, 1 year with Kiffin (is that even a positive? Did he call the offense there?). I'm also concerned about the players clamoring for him.....the "player coach" thing doesn't work that often.
That's what I am asking. What has Lebby really done?

For him, I think they take that step.

Hefty price for someone with zero head coaching experience. If he doesn't pan out UCF is stuck with a buyout they can't afford. See Jeremy Pruitt. Regardless $2.5 Million is likely on the low end of what Elliott seeks. Nick Saban coordinators left for SEC programs and got $3.5 million+.

That's what I am asking. What has Lebby really done?

It's whats the players are choosing, if any of the players came out and said they don't care for Lebby no one would be lobbying for him because there is nothing on his resume that says he's a sure a fire hit for head coach. The best thing he has is he was OC for two offensive Head Coaches that traditionally are playcallers that have teams that put up a lot of points

I think former players lobbying for Lebby says a lot , current players are still in their bubble

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT