ADVERTISEMENT

THE OFFICIAL FIRE GUS THREAD

For the Malzahn apologists.... the everyman's choice for the worst Big XII team, Houston, beat WV, and we couldn't even compete. Explain that. If it's WV didn't get in their grove, or whatever moron point, then the question is, why haven't we yet? Next game will prove which is the worst new Big XII team.... only us an Cincy have proven we can't yet play at this level. We should have at least, and probably realistically only... 2 wins in this conference so far. Yet, we've proven we probably couldn't even compete for the championship of our last conference. I thought after last week, not 1 loss. Now think, not 1 win.

Gus won’t be fired, but the coordinators can be. Neither has ever been a coordinator for a power 5 program. Addison has never even been a coordinator before this season. I don’t know why they thought this would fly.

And I know OC doesn’t matter because Gus is still scripting the plays, but obviously that needs to change.

Reactions: Knight59
Gus won’t be fired, but the coordinators can be. Neither has ever been a coordinator for a power 5 program. Addison has never even been a coordinator before this season. I don’t know why they thought this would fly.

And I know OC doesn’t matter because Gus is still scripting the plays, but obviously that needs to change.
They won't be fired. No one will.
PS. It will kill me if the greatest QB in my UCF 4 yr career is fired as OC!

To what? 2nd proved can't play at this level. Here's hoping you have a better answer. We'll never win with these 2 QBs.
Interesting ... most said the same thing about Milton in 2016. Seriously!

Just pointing out that these things have all been said before. Don't shoot the guy playing devil's advocate.

Interesting ... most said the same thing about Milton in 2016. Seriously!

Just pointing out that these things have all been said before. Don't shoot the guy playing devil's advocate.

At least Milton was a true freshman. Not picking guys who have been in college for 3 and 5 years.

Too bad UCF got rid of Obarski, he could have turned it around. Don't know why they would switch to Boomer.

At least Milton was a true freshman. Not picking guys who have been in college for 3 and 5 years.
5 years as a QB?

People complain about whomever is playing. Mikey Keene got all the hate too. Seriously ... when JRP is 100%, he's really good, and is perfect for Gus' system.

We lost Gabriel. We had to find someone. Again, it doesn't matter who's playing, people are complaining about the QB.

Too bad UCF got rid of Obarski, he could have turned it around. Don't know why they would switch to Boomer.
Huh?

Reactions: AuburnLegacy_1
I’ve been firmly on the “Gus deserves 3 years in the big 12 bandwagon.” But I’ve changed my mind after this current losing streak. It’s the nature of the losses that are reasons for firing. Terrible game management, blown leads, mismanaged QB situations, the choosing of an inexperienced “in house” D coordinator who has led a terrible defense, etc. And this is not a Frost 2016 situation, he had a freshman qb and they were coming off of a winless season.

For those saying you can’t get rid of Malzahn after going to the CCG last year… remember George? Fired the year after being co-champs of the AAC and 2 years after the Fiesta Bowl

I’ve been firmly on the “Gus deserves 3 years in the big 12 bandwagon.” But I’ve changed my mind after this current losing streak. It’s the nature of the losses that are reasons for firing. Terrible game management, blown leads, mismanaged QB situations, the choosing of an inexperienced “in house” D coordinator who has led a terrible defense, etc. And this is not a Frost 2016 situation, he had a freshman qb and they were coming off of a winless season.
And yet Frost had a crapload of talent, some would argue far more depth at D than Gus has ever had -- especially since Gus is really only on year 2, not year 3, of his own recruits!

Heupel had far more, and ended up doing far less after 2018. He destroyed our D. We haven't recovered. There are a lot more Heupels in the world than peopel realize. For every 2-3 good coaches that come in, there are 40-60 that totally blow it.

So ... you wanna fire a coach that took us to the CCG last year? Fine. Just don't expect any good coach to take a hard look at us for loyalty any more.

For those saying you can’t get rid of Malzahn after going to the CCG last year… remember George? Fired the year after being co-champs of the AAC and 2 years after the Fiesta Bowl
So ... I'll bite. You want to say GOL, staying in the same conference ... Is the same as Gus having to step up to a new conference? Interesting analogy. I don't think you thought that one through.

Especially since GOL lost to a FCS school ... the first time UCF had ever done that since ... oh wait ... yeah, we moved up to FBS! We at least dominated our OoC games, although the turnovers and execution issues let Boise say in it.

Yeah, great analogy!

It’s the nature of the losses that are reasons for firing.
The nature of today's loss was four turnovers. Are those on the coach directly?

I'm far from an apologist for Gus, but I'm also not a hater. He has frustrated me greatly with his play calling, but I was happy with the play calling today. Take away the turnovers and it's a completely different game.

I feel like with 5 losses in a row we've found a different way to lose every week.

I'm far from an apologist for Gus, but I'm also not a hater. He has frustrated me greatly with his play calling, but I was happy with the play calling today. Take away the turnovers and it's a completely different game.

I feel like with 5 losses in a row we've found a different way to lose every week.
that's key, because it's what losers do.

Reactions: Guinness_Knight
You guys did try to warn us. If only the people on this discussion board had the authority to hire and fire coaches.
He was a good hire IMO at the time for you. (IIRC it wasnt announced that UCF would go to the B12 at time of hiring) Just if you expected him to have success in the B12 then thats your problem. He took your recruiting to a new level which is probably worth the hire alone for the next guy.

You are right, he won't be fired. We couldn't afford to if AD wanted to. I hope you mean that Gus should stop "scripting the plays" otherwise no sense in firing the OC. DC needs to go. Never should have been promoted to that position.

Reactions: Knight59

No…being just about dead last in all of FBS against the run is in the coaches. It’s on Malzahn…on the players (high school and transfers) that he has brought in and on the coaches he has hired.

John Walker has no business getting reps…he is not nearly strong enough. Kid is a long term developmental prospect.

And payin Gus an insane buy out with his track record was a good business decision. Man i'm glad you're not running my company. but thanks for the thoughts Terry.
Which was a really bad time for them to announce it, they really should have announced it after the Kent State win.
You're an oblivious fool. Example?

In 2016... Milton almost quit the team and was willing to sit a year out to get away from UCF.

And people like yourself were calling for Frost's head for playing him, especially in the bowl where the Sunbelt team dominated us.

Seriously, given the state we were in when Gus came in, after missing the entire recruiting season no less... I'm amazed he won 9 games.

He has until 2025 to change things. Heupel was the worst thing to happen to this program. We're lucky we got the transfers we did thanks to Gus.

Now we're starting from scratch in the Big XII. Need until 2025.
Gus has a very real chance to turn this program in to a 2015 Kansas football program. That was in the middle of a 56 game road Big 12 losing streak and finished 0-12, if he is allowed to stick around in 2024. Or if you want to look at the 2010 KU team 2 years after winning the Orange Bowl they finished 3-9 including a loss to Southern Miss and North Dakota State and had just started their road conference game losing streak.

Gus has more losses than Heupel had for us. Probably more in 1 season than Heupel in 2+ years. I don’t know anything about your wife and don’t care to. I’m only talking sports.

The change in conference excuse is complete BS. Gus had two and almost three VERY BAD losses in the AAC. Navy at Home , blown out at ECU, and almost lost to a terrible USF team with a skeleton coaching staff. It was the weakest year for the AAC in its history where we backed into a title game and got completely outclassed when we had every advantage possible in that league.

This is Year 3 and the Program is getting worse and completely irrelevant nationally. The Standard was raised and he is failing. Some of you act like we never played a P5 team before this year

The change in conference excuse is complete BS. Gus had two and almost three VERY BAD losses in the AAC. Navy at Home , blown out at ECU, and almost lost to a terrible USF team with a skeleton coaching staff. It was the weakest year for the AAC in its history where we backed into a title game and got completely outclassed when we had every advantage possible in that league.

This is Year 3 and the Program is getting worse and completely irrelevant nationally. The Standard was raised and he is failing. Some of you act like we never played a P5 team before this year
I don't get how everyone forgets we beat a ranked Tulane team, and barely lost the second one due to injury of Plumlee. We also beat Florida in a bowl game.

In all honestly, I didn’t mind the offensive play-calling yesterday. Still need to get the tight-ends more invloved down the middle Of the field. JRP was/is the problem with this offense, especially because his best asset (running the ball) is negligible. He is a baseball player with athleticism. We need a true QB but will never get one with the Gus (run first scheme). If a QB wants to get drafted and be successful in the NFL after college, Gus ain’t your guy.

DEFENSE IS THE ISSUE! Addison may be a nice guy but he’s in WAY OVER HIS HEAD! You CANT have a first year DC in a P5 conference and expect to be successful. When your athletes are undersized, slow and weak (in comparison), you have to be creative with scheme. Our base scheme is obvious, predictable and conservative.

Final Thought: when our players and coaches were asked postgame, what was the other Team doing offensively that had us struggling to stop them? The answer from Malzahn, coaches and players all answered with the same answer “not sure…we’ll have to look at film to see”. Well…it’s a little late for that now but makes sense why we keep losing!

F9jQtDRWkAALpyZ

Heupel was handed a team that had just won an NC and was returning its Heisman-level QB.

Then he was handed, by the first qb, another qb that now has Heisman talk.

The Heupel losses were bad.
Right. Except for the record NFL class that left after that year. And he didn’t lose until he had to play Mack in a NY6 bowl against Joe burrow. Then had some close road games with true freshman QB struggles in 2019. Hippo/Shannon with half our roster talent would have handled Baylor and West Virginia.

We were in the champ. game until the last 5 mins. The score doesn't tell the whole story.

That Tulane team went on to beat a very good USC.

Tulane had three turnovers (UCF - 0) and for the vast majority of the game including the end, was up by multiple scores. Tulane had 650 yards of offense.

The score doesn't tell the whole story. Tulane should have had 50+ points.

Right. Except for the record NFL class that left after that year. And he didn’t lose until he had to play Mack in a NY6 bowl against Joe burrow. Then had some close road games with true freshman QB struggles in 2019. Hippo/Shannon with half our roster talent would have handled Baylor and West Virginia.
Yup. Don’t remember Hype losing these games in the manner that Gus is. Gus is losing games in every way possible.

In all honestly, I didn’t mind the offensive play-calling yesterday. Still need to get the tight-ends more invloved down the middle Of the field. JRP was/is the problem with this offense, especially because his best asset (running the ball) is negligible. He is a baseball player with athleticism. We need a true QB but will never get one with the Gus (run first scheme). If a QB wants to get drafted and be successful in the NFL after college, Gus ain’t your guy.

DEFENSE IS THE ISSUE! Addison may be a nice guy but he’s in WAY OVER HIS HEAD! You CANT have a first year DC in a P5 conference and expect to be successful. When your athletes are undersized, slow and weak (in comparison), you have to be creative with scheme. Our base scheme is obvious, predictable and conservative.

Final Thought: when our players and coaches were asked postgame, what was the other Team doing offensively that had us struggling to stop them? The answer from Malzahn, coaches and players all answered with the same answer “not sure…we’ll have to look at film to see”. Well…it’s a little late for that now but makes sense why we keep losing!
Your Final Thought is very troubling. There’s no excuse for this. Those responses are indicative of a coach that isn’t held accountable from an AD and media. Totally unacceptable.

Reactions: ucffan642
Tulane had three turnovers (UCF - 0) and for the vast majority of the game including the end, was up by multiple scores. Tulane had 650 yards of offense.

The score doesn't tell the whole story. Tulane should have had 50+ points.
It was a backend cover when the game was already decided

I don't get how everyone forgets we beat a ranked Tulane team, and barely lost the second one due to injury of Plumlee. We also beat Florida in a bowl game.
That is also part of his problem, horrible inconsistency and his inability of letting his OC do the job he was hired to do and the promotion of a coach to DC who was not ready for the job.

Last edited:
That is also part of his problem, horrible inconsistency and his inability of letting his OC the job he was hired to do and the promotion of a coach to DC who was not ready for the job.
Will definitely be interesting to see the changes in the offseason.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT