ADVERTISEMENT

The World We Live In Today

sk8knight

Diamond Knight
Gold Member
Jun 23, 2001
This arrest is happening all over the country every day.

Absolutely. We don’t want to control guns, so this is how we control the human variable

Otherwise, we do nothing and wait for the next mass shooting. We already know that it can be anyone, anywhere and anytime

He’s 15 mom. He’s not a “little boy” anymore. Learn how to be a parent. Educate your kids about mass shootings and guns

Reactions: UCFWayne
Do you have a link to this?
A link to what? This video was on the Facebook page for the Volusia County Sheriff’s office. As for my claim, no. But I do know that hardly a week goes by in Central Florida when police aren’t responding to a threat made to a school.

Reactions: Ucfmikes
“Little Johnny was such a nice boy”

“Can’t be my kid. Those other kids are crazy”

He’s just a little boy.”

Now that’s just offensive. That probably bothered me the most

Reactions: firm_bizzle
Wonder if this is coming down to parenting and home values as suggested by a few

I fall on the parenting side as well but I’d like to see what everyone else here has to say.

even if it was a joke and not real, parents need to reinforce with their kids they cant make those kinds of jokes. just like you dont joke about a bomb at an airport.

Reactions: Ucfmikes
I was going to say something about the corrosive effect of a kid being consumed by fake online video game "realities" all day and what it does to their grasp on reality, but the usual suspects would yell "people play video games in other countries!!!" and end the debate outright.

Reactions: ChrisKnight06
A link to what? This video was on the Facebook page for the Volusia County Sheriff’s office. As for my claim, no. But I do know that hardly a week goes by in Central Florida when police aren’t responding to a threat made to a school.

A link to the video is what I was asking for so I can share

Reactions: ucfversusbcs
Good on the cops. The answer isnt restricting 2nd amendment rights of everyone, but rather it should be reason to lockup those who make threats. It is one thing to say “im going to lick your ass” versus “im going to shoot up the place”.

I was going to say something about the corrosive effect of a kid being consumed by fake online video game "realities" all day and what it does to their grasp on reality, but the usual suspects would yell "people play video games in other countries!!!" and end the debate outright.

Can you imagine being so goddamn stupid you think video games are the problem?

Holy shit every day you get dumber and dumber.

Good on the cops. The answer isnt restricting 2nd amendment rights of everyone, but rather it should be reason to lockup those who make threats. It is one thing to say “im going to lick your ass” versus “im going to shoot up the place”.

I've been laughing way too hard at this. That paragraph certainly took a turn

Reactions: UCFKnightfan08

Licking ass is so overrated.

Watching that video actually made me tear up a little bit. I feel so bad for that mom, but the cops did exactly what they should have done. How in the hell could that kid be so stupid to think in this day and age that he could say something like that and not have it come back on him?

I love licking ass

@chemmie is this you?

the-florida-man-arrested-for-his-i-eat-ass-sticke-2-4012-1557537541-0_dblbig.jpg

its parenting not video games.. i've been playing all kinds of games since the atari 2600 my parents used to have and now i got all pstations except for the first and an original xbox.. is my name in the paper?? no, cuz my parents taught me at a very early age not to dial 911 unless it is an emergency and not to yell fire in a crowded theater

The video game horse shit argument is complete and total horse shit. My friends and I have been blowing the heads off of ducks, zombies, humans, gangsters, and Nazis for almost three decades. At no point have any of us felt compelled to walk into a public gathering area and mow down innocent people.

Enough of this stupid, intellectually vapid debate. This is the equivalent of "CARTOONS CAUSE VIOLENCE" that the idiots of my childhood used to blow out.

its parenting not video games.. i've been playing all kinds of games since the atari 2600 my parents used to have and now i got all pstations except for the first and an original xbox.. is my name in the paper?? no, cuz my parents taught me at a very early age not to dial 911 unless it is an emergency and not to yell fire in a crowded theater
It's more than just parenting and video games though. We're of the same generation and our experiences with gaming (and life) were vastly different than the 12 - 24 year olds of today. While we were developing, our games were not realistic at all and had no online multiplayer. We went over to a friend's house to play multiplayer games. The people we played with were in our neighborhoods and of the same age, unless someone's sibling or parents also played. We learned about the world through books and magazines and verbal hearsay and a limited amount of TV. All of that was filtered through editors and parents and teachers. Parents had a much easier job because we weren't exposed to a wide world of strangers and bad ideas constantly and instantly. They taught you to stay away from strangers, be home by dark, and don't do stupid things and that was good enough because you were safe as long as you were at home or at a trusted friend's house.

Now, people from all over the world and with an infinite number of intentions have access to young and developing minds nearly 24/7. The studies show that video games don't cause mass violence, but they do have a bit of a desensitizing effect for people predisposed towards violence. Social Media is built on exposing people to strangers. Our popular culture is focused on breaking down barriers; this is good and bad as some barriers are there for good reason. Parents have to be much more involved with their children and much more steadfast in their leadership of values and morals. Which can be hard when many of them become parents before they've developed their own value systems. Also made harder when both parents are working or there is only one parent in the home.

We really need to take a look at our culture and find the issues that are causing this sickness. We need to keep the positive advances while identifying and fixing the detrimental changes. Unfortunately, we aren't going to do this while we are all fighting each other over the political narrative of the day.

It's more than just parenting and video games though. We're of the same generation and our experiences with gaming (and life) were vastly different than the 12 - 24 year olds of today. While we were developing, our games were not realistic at all and had no online multiplayer. We went over to a friend's house to play multiplayer games. The people we played with were in our neighborhoods and of the same age, unless someone's sibling or parents also played. We learned about the world through books and magazines and verbal hearsay and a limited amount of TV. All of that was filtered through editors and parents and teachers. Parents had a much easier job because we weren't exposed to a wide world of strangers and bad ideas constantly and instantly. They taught you to stay away from strangers, be home by dark, and don't do stupid things and that was good enough because you were safe as long as you were at home or at a trusted friend's house.

Now, people from all over the world and with an infinite number of intentions have access to young and developing minds nearly 24/7. The studies show that video games don't cause mass violence, but they do have a bit of a desensitizing effect for people predisposed towards violence. Social Media is built on exposing people to strangers. Our popular culture is focused on breaking down barriers; this is good and bad as some barriers are there for good reason. Parents have to be much more involved with their children and much more steadfast in their leadership of values and morals. Which can be hard when many of them become parents before they've developed their own value systems. Also made harder when both parents are working or there is only one parent in the home.

We really need to take a look at our culture and find the issues that are causing this sickness. We need to keep the positive advances while identifying and fixing the detrimental changes. Unfortunately, we aren't going to do this while we are all fighting each other over the political narrative of the day.

This exactly. Video games are different now than when we were shooting monsters or aliens, or even shooting make believe soldiers. Now, these kids are literally talking to someone and trying to kill that other person online. They have added human interaction into the equation, which is extremely dangerous and absolutely desensitizes kids to killing.

The video game horse shit argument is complete and total horse shit. My friends and I have been blowing the heads off of ducks, zombies, humans, gangsters, and Nazis for almost three decades. At no point have any of us felt compelled to walk into a public gathering area and mow down innocent people.

Enough of this stupid, intellectually vapid debate. This is the equivalent of "CARTOONS CAUSE VIOLENCE" that the idiots of my childhood used to blow out.

Literally every modern country in the world has violent video games.

Only one has a mass shooting every day so far this year.

But yeah, totally it's the video games fault.

No one actually made that point here. You do know that right?

There is actual research and data that shows people are more and more capable of forming addictions to things like social media and online gaming forums that have an extremely corrosive impact on social interaction, sense of reality, value of interaction with others, anger and aggression, and desensitization of things going on around them, to include pain and suffering of others. This is the same for if a kid lives on Twitter all day or lives in a Call of Duty online environment all day. It's not the video game itself but what an addiction to something does to a young person and video games absolutely are in the diagnosed addictive sphere.

No one is saying that Joe is going to murder people because you played a game. But your argument is also intellectually vapid since it fails to understand the bigger picture which is supported by science.

In fact online gaming addiction was so bad in Asia that they literally started hospitalizing people to help them with it. Here we have virtually no real attention it, and mixed with addiction to social media and a growing absence of parents at home, it's a corrosive, deadly mix.

In South-East Asian countries, the negative impacts of Internet gaming addiction have led governments and health care providers to take the problem seriously and to develop a series of initiatives to curb and alleviate the problem. In South Korea, Internet gaming addiction is viewed as a significant concern for public health,29 and up to 24% of children who have been diagnosed with Internet addiction are hospitalized.30 In Japan, the government has recognized the problem following a study by the Ministry of Education, which has led to the development of “fasting camps” where individuals suffering from Internet and gaming addiction are helped by being cut off from technology completely.31 It has been stated that the higher the Internet penetration and social acceptance of gaming, the higher the prevalence of gaming problems,32 partially explaining the higher prevalence rates reported in South-East Asian countries

The concerns appear to be grounded as a growing number of studies indicate that Internet gaming addiction is associated with various negative consequences.15 The psychological consequences include the following: sacrificing real-life relationships, other pastime activities, sleep, work, education, socializing, and relationships,3340 obsession with gaming and a lack of real-life relationships,41 lack of attention,33,42 aggression and hostility,42,43 stress,33 dysfunctional coping,33,44,45 worse academic achievement,38,46 problems with verbal memory,47 and low well-being and high loneliness.48 Moreover, psychosomatic consequences have been found in a number of studies. These included problems with sleeping,41,47 seizures,49 and psychosomatic challenges.33 This long list indicates that Internet gaming problems must be taken seriously as they can affect the individual negatively in a variety of ways.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3832462/

No one actually made that point here. You do know that right?

There is actual research and data that shows people are more and more capable of forming addictions to things like social media and online gaming forums that have an extremely corrosive impact on social interaction, sense of reality, value of interaction with others, anger and aggression, and desensitization of things going on around them, to include pain and suffering of others. This is the same for if a kid lives on Twitter all day or lives in a Call of Duty online environment all day. It's not the video game itself but what an addiction to something does to a young person and video games absolutely are in the diagnosed addictive sphere.

No one is saying that Joe is going to murder people because you played a game. But your argument is also intellectually vapid since it fails to understand the bigger picture which is supported by science.

In fact online gaming addiction was so bad in Asia that they literally started hospitalizing people to help them with it. Here we have virtually no real attention it, and mixed with addiction to social media and a growing absence of parents at home, it's a corrosive, deadly mix.

In South-East Asian countries, the negative impacts of Internet gaming addiction have led governments and health care providers to take the problem seriously and to develop a series of initiatives to curb and alleviate the problem. In South Korea, Internet gaming addiction is viewed as a significant concern for public health,29 and up to 24% of children who have been diagnosed with Internet addiction are hospitalized.30 In Japan, the government has recognized the problem following a study by the Ministry of Education, which has led to the development of “fasting camps” where individuals suffering from Internet and gaming addiction are helped by being cut off from technology completely.31 It has been stated that the higher the Internet penetration and social acceptance of gaming, the higher the prevalence of gaming problems,32 partially explaining the higher prevalence rates reported in South-East Asian countries

The concerns appear to be grounded as a growing number of studies indicate that Internet gaming addiction is associated with various negative consequences.15 The psychological consequences include the following: sacrificing real-life relationships, other pastime activities, sleep, work, education, socializing, and relationships,3340 obsession with gaming and a lack of real-life relationships,41 lack of attention,33,42 aggression and hostility,42,43 stress,33 dysfunctional coping,33,44,45 worse academic achievement,38,46 problems with verbal memory,47 and low well-being and high loneliness.48 Moreover, psychosomatic consequences have been found in a number of studies. These included problems with sleeping,41,47 seizures,49 and psychosomatic challenges.33 This long list indicates that Internet gaming problems must be taken seriously as they can affect the individual negatively in a variety of ways.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3832462/

LMAO. Please tell me you don't actually buy this horse shit? This is a joke, yes?

LMAO. Please tell me you don't actually buy this horse shit? This is a joke, yes?
Ummm, some media does change some people. You cannot deny that.

As a Libertarian, I'm for 0 control though. The latest left-right agreements on many things scares me.

About the only anti-1st Amendment thing I'm for is a law -- let alone Constitutional Amendment -- that makes it a crime to utter the name of any mass shooter. That would do far more good than anything, because mass shootings have become about infamy.

Heck, they don't even use the most effective weapons, but the ones that will gain them the most infamy.

Ummm, some media does change some people. You cannot deny that.

As a Libertarian, I'm for 0 control though. The latest left-right agreements on many things scares me.

About the only anti-1st Amendment thing I'm for is a law -- let alone Constitutional Amendment -- that makes it a crime to utter the name of any mass shooter. That would do far more good than anything, because mass shootings have become about infamy.

Heck, they don't even use the most effective weapons, but the ones that will gain them the most infamy.

ummm, didn't say that, Melvin.

Reactions: NinjaKnight
Perhaps the dumbest thing I've read all day.
Even a modicum of truth that is easily proven causes all sorts of arguments to be discarded. It's why so few people are against the mainstay, Politically Correct (PC) views in the US News Media right now.

Everyone's a bigot, sexist or racist, instead of just being 'insensitive' or 'under-exposed.' Ironically enough, it's actually alleged Progressives that tend to be the most 'under-exposed' Americans, and quite ignorant of many aspects of daily lives -- both inner-city as well as rural.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT