ADVERTISEMENT

Timmy McClain

N.FL Knight

Four-Star Recruit
Aug 30, 2007
After watching his starts at USF and UCF, I find him to have most of the skills needed to be a very good QB. Strong arm, athletic, mobile, tall, etc.. However, I have noticed that in pressure situations, it may be more than he can handle. Whether at USF or now with UCF, it seems that when the moment gets too big for him he makes mistakes. I don't need to list the examples but we have all seem them.

I know it takes time and I hope he makes big leaps every week. For our sake, we need him to.

It is a fair critique. I prefer the TMC style QB but he does look like he tightens up in crunch time

I have shared my thoughts on JRP but his tendency to take off and run too soon might have been useful when it was clear all the momentum was gone. Whether it was orders by Gus or not Timmy looked hesitant to take off and run . A couple more first downs and Baylor would have ran out of time

It is a fair critique. I prefer the TMC style QB but he does look like he tightens up in crunch time

I have shared my thoughts on JRP but his tendency to take off and run too soon might have been useful when it was clear all the momentum was gone. Whether it was orders by Gus or not Timmy looked hesitant to take off and run . A couple more first downs and Baylor would have ran out of time
Running the ball in crunch time is about physicality. AL1 loves to hype “#1 rushing offense” but those numbers derived from padding the stats against Kent State and Villanova are irrelevant when the game is on the line.

35-7 with 6 minutes left in the 3rd quarter and taking the L is not just on the defense. A good team would have run the clock out specially against a bad team like Baylor.

Big lead in the 4th and Gus Malzahn is running the wildcat and gimmick plays. That reflects on the identity of the offense. That doesn’t get the job done.

Funny how in the press conference Gus Malzahn took zero responsibility for losing the game. Aside from poor defense…the offensive play calls lost the game.

He took responsibility in the post game and Kansas preview press conferences.

Running the ball in crunch time is about physicality. AL1 loves to hype “#1 rushing offense” but those numbers derived from padding the stats against Kent State and Villanova are irrelevant when the game is on the line.

35-7 with 6 minutes left in the 3rd quarter and taking the L is not just on the defense. A good team would have run the clock out specially against a bad team like Baylor.

Big lead in the 4th and Gus Malzahn is running the wildcat and gimmick plays. That reflects on the identity of the offense. That doesn’t get the job done.

UCF rushed for 235 yards against Baylor and STILL ranks third nationally in rushing, but troll on.

Funny how in the press conference Gus Malzahn took zero responsibility for losing the game. Aside from poor defense…the offensive play calls lost the game.
While I agree with some of the stuff you are saying, it has nothing to do with the thread.

I agree and the OC blamed the players for not executing the plays. He's the guy that put them in a terrible spot like the 3rd and 5 wildcat. Poor coaching lost the game not the execution of the plays or the fans.

Reactions: Yaes
And as far as Timmy he's only a soph and has time to grow. I get it he sat out an entire year and like JRP last year it will take time. But some plays he just has to learn to eat the ball and run forward a few yards instead of making a desperate throw or scrambling around only to take a loss. He has the talent just has to grow.

Reactions: major.tom.foolery
I agree and the OC blamed the players for not executing the plays. He's the guy that put them in a terrible spot like the 3rd and 5 wildcat. Poor coaching lost the game not the execution of the plays or the fans.
While I agree the wildcat seemed odd,but in reality the snap was fumbled and that's on the player. The second half errors were all around on coaches and players . Timmy doesn't know when to run or chuck it away to fight another day here . I admire him for his tenacity to make the big play every down but sometimes it just has to be a little one to survive and keep the drive moving forward .

Reactions: jtGoldenKnights
And as far as Timmy he's only a soph and has time to grow. I get it he sat out an entire year and like JRP last year it will take time. But some plays he just has to learn to eat the ball and run forward a few yards instead of making a desperate throw or scrambling around only to take a loss. He has the talent just has to grow.
this is another strike against Gus as a Head Coach which was discussed here this Spring and Summer . Both QBs playing had long gaps of inactivity. He should have seeked a portal QB once Keene decided to leave but instead went all in on a WR converted QB that has gotten injured every year since HS. It shows there is no killer instinct win now urgency.

Last edited:
His glaring weakness is decision-making under pressure. Sometimes it looks like he literally freezes before snapping out of it, and then he feels he has to make a desperation play. There have been so many plays the last few weeks where if he would have just run straight forward he would have had a first down, but his instinct is to extend the play at all costs. Jimmy Johnson was on the radio the other day and said decision-making is the most important skill for a young QB, and he doesn't think it can even be taught.

Still, TMC is way down the list when it comes to things to blame for the Baylor loss. Overall he played a pretty good game. His TD pass to Xavier was called back for OPI by Kobe, and Javon dropped what could've been another TD on a crossing route. The INT was a bad throw but that will happen from time to time, especially with a new QB who didn't play at all last year. If he can shake off crunch-time nerves I think he'll be ok, but can he?

With Plumlee dressing up for last game, he had to know his time was coming to an end. Have to wonder if the idea of knowing he is going right back to the bench is altering the decisions he makes on the field.

He does the opposite of Plumlee which is tuck it and run, to a point where its the other extreme of never running for the first down. Is that his instinct, is that coaching, is that WRs talking to him saying they want a QB that will try to get us the ball instead of running?

Poor coaching lost the game not the execution of the plays or the fans.

There wasn't one single play that won or lost that game, but hundreds of plays.

I am baffled that y'all don't think y'all have any influence on games. Crowd support and momentum are HUGE factors in a game. Vegas usually gives 7 points to home teams for that very reason.

I have to think that if all the UCF fans in the Bounce House had made the stadium crazy for 60 minutes that there's ZERO chance Baylor complete's a 1 point comeback victory. Somebody would have jumped offsides or had a fake start, and it would have been the difference in the ballgame.

The margin between winning and losing in the Big 12 is sssooo small that any multitude of factors could have made a difference.

I am baffled that y'all don't think y'all have any influence on games. Crowd support and momentum are HUGE factors in a game. Vegas usually gives 7 points to home teams for that very reason.

I have to think that if all the UCF fans in the Bounce House had made the stadium crazy for 60 minutes that there's ZERO chance Baylor complete's a 1 point comeback victory. Somebody would have jumped offsides or had a fake start, and it would have been the difference in the ballgame.

The margin between winning and losing in the Big 12 is sssooo small that any multitude of factors could have made a difference.
Blame the fans but not the head coach. Simp.

We have a history of blowing big leads, both at home and on the road, over multiple coaching staffs. There's more to it than some of the crowd leaving.

Blame the fans but not the head coach. Simp.

Stones.jpg

That glass house in Miami will shatter when y'all actually play somebody with a winning record from 2022.

UCF had more fans leave during the game than y'all have show up.

Reactions: Nautiknight
Stones.jpg

That glass house in Miami will shatter when y'all actually play somebody with a winning record from 2022.

UCF had more fans leave during the game than y'all have show up.
Lol. How dumb is this guy? “Play somebody with a winning record from 2022”. It’s 2023. We played TAMU and curbed them…same team that dragged Auburn a couple of weeks ago.

LEAVE simp.

Actually , if any of the handful of plays are made UCF wins..If the field goal isn't blocked. If either of the Baylor two point conversions are stopped. If that OPI isn't made abd the touch down is scored . If UCF doesn't fumble the Wild Knight play with Baylor scoop and score. If either the offense, defense or special teams just makes one of those plays, UCF wins ..it's not hundreds its like 6 or 7. Make just one of those and UCF comes out on top.

Reactions: 90Knight

Not saying it helps influence a game but when you call a wildcat on 3rd and 5 or go conservative or throw a horrific interception that's not on me. I'm sitting with a 4 year old eating dipping dots. I hate when coaches and players point the finger they need to take some accountability. It was 35-7! The OC in his press conference first thing point at the players execution not the situations he put them in.

• Haha
Reactions: U C to the F
I agree Timmy does not know when to tuck it and run. On the pick he had 10 to 15 yards of open real estate to run for a first down. I was in the stadium and Pittman waved that he was open. Timmy was way late on the read and under threw the pass. He runs for a first down and that scoring drive could of been the straw that broke the camels back for Baylor.

I agree Timmy does not know when to tuck it and run. On the pick he had 10 to 15 yards of open real estate to run for a first down. I was in the stadium and Pittman waved that he was open. Timmy was way late on the read and under threw the pass. He runs for a first down and that scoring drive could have been the straw that broke the camels back for Baylor.
Yep. Timmy is almost the anti-JRP in that JRP immediately looks to run. Timmy doesn’t, he’s almost always looking downfield to complete a pass but to the point sometimes it’s detrimental to the play because 5+ yards are available to him if he just ram it himself.

Reactions: KISA and Yaes
Timmy is a bit reminiscent of early KZ and Bortles to me. Similar skill sets in that he's mobile, but not a runner like JRP. Maybe the better comparison is Godfrey, where the more it devolves into backyard football, the more he is in his element.

When it comes to the hesitation to run or not, I wonder if it is because he is trying to remember what the coaches told him to do and just freezes while processing, or he is really just scared of making the wrong decision. Again, I like what he is capable of, but he needs to be able to put it all together. Even when things are rolling in the right direction it doesn't feel confident, or smooth. Hard to put a finger on it.

Also, the OL situation is atrocious. The fact the offense is still putting up numbers like they are is a surprise to me.

I have seen enough really good out of him where I wouldn't care if he was remained the starter. I think the mental stuff when he scrambles etc can be coached up. Throwing the ball away, taking the green in front of him. Just being more situationally aware of when he has to throw vs when he can just run and take whats there. He has made elite throws. The arm talent is there. Just clean up some of the other stuff and he could be electric all 4 quarters.

Reactions: major.tom.foolery
I think JRP is still the best option to win games this year. However, I think Timmy will be a very good quarterback and think he could become the best we have had since Milton (Not comparing him to Milton). I hope he stays and becomes the next QB at UCF to win a NY6 bowl or better yet a playoff run.

I think JRP is still the best option to win games this year. However, I think Timmy will be a very good quarterback and think he could become the best we have had since Milton (Not comparing him to Milton). I hope he stays and becomes the next QB at UCF to win a NY6 bowl or better yet a playoff run.
Yeah I have no faith in the rest of this season so idc to put in plumlee in at this point and again I argue we are once again in this position partially because of his constant injuries. That isn't fair either since he is putting his body on the line for us but it comes at a huge cost, the potential to have a terrible season like this. I'm just over that game and it's now costs us two seasons.

Tbh I like a lot of what I see in TM and I do see glimpses of MM first season here. I don't think it's his fault we've lost these games at all either.

I'm torn but tbh if JRP can play this game put him now and if not, give Timmy the entire season for practic/experience for next year.

With Plumlee dressing up for last game, he had to know his time was coming to an end. Have to wonder if the idea of knowing he is going right back to the bench is altering the decisions he makes on the field.

He does the opposite of Plumlee which is tuck it and run, to a point where its the other extreme of never running for the first down. Is that his instinct, is that coaching, is that WRs talking to him saying they want a QB that will try to get us the ball instead of running?
I thought JRP dressing out was a way to make the other team potentially change their game plan. JRP may be OK, he may not be. As far as I'm concerned though, I think Timmy should get the start and only if he starts to struggle do we swap him out with JRP. The Timmy in the first half of the Baylor game was great! He was highly effective at running our offense. However, 2nd half Timmy struggled. I think it was a combination of our play calling and adjustments from Baylor's Defense. I thought the Refs were inconsistent with their calling of Roughing the Passer.

IMHO there is absolutely zero upside in playing JRP anymore. We have two losses, probably some more on the horizon regardless of who is QB. He doesn’t have any eligibility left after this year that I know of. If we’re going to take our lumps in the Big 12 this year, why not do it with a QB who needs the experience and will be better for it next year and the year after.

IMHO there is absolutely zero upside in playing JRP anymore. We have two losses, probably some more on the horizon regardless of who is QB. He doesn’t have any eligibility left after this year that I know of. If we’re going to take our lumps in the Big 12 this year, why not do it with a QB who needs the experience and will be better for it next year and the year after.
That idea was floated last year for Castellanos to play the meaningless Bowl game. Get him reps, no reason to play Plumlee who was dealing with injury issues at the end of the season. Instead Plumlee plays, has a terrible game, Castellanos doesn't get any reps after losing his red shirt already.

Goal is to win games and odds are...the 2024 starting QB is not even on this roster so sitting JRP does nothing but possibly decrease the chances of the team winning any remaining games.

So this brings up the question, which QB on the roster currently or in the pipeline (commit), if any, excites or intrigues you the most?

Riley intrigues me the most simply because he seems to be the most different from the prototypical Gus QB from what I've seen.

Goal is to win games and odds are...the 2024 starting QB is not even on this roster so sitting JRP does nothing but possibly decrease the chances of the team winning any remaining games.

True on all points.

I like Timmy McClain, but he is simply not ready based on all the things pointed out in this thread. He can make the 'wow' play, but fails to make routine plays. One step forward and two steps back gets you nowhere. He is a determent to the team at this time.

JRP--and I cannot believe I am saying this--is the better option provided he plays at a high level. He is currently ranked as one of the top 20 quarterbacks nationally, according to PFF rankings. While those rankings don't mean squat -- after all the u quarterback was ranked No. 1 for two straight weeks -- they do suggest JRP knows what he is supposed to do.

The 2024 starter or backup may not be on the roster. Gus has changed starting quarterbacks six times in Gus's three seasons: Gabriel to Keene to JRP to Keene to JRP to Castellanos to JRP to McClain (and soon back to JRP). It would be shortsighted to sit JRP.

I don’t think we’d have been better off with JRP in these last games. Reason being, Timmy hit some really nice deep shots that JRP has had no history of hitting. Yeah maybe he rips off some chunk QB runs to counter balance that, but I don’t think JRP being healthy increased the chances of us winning those games

I don’t think we’d have been better off with JRP in these last games. Reason being, Timmy hit some really nice deep shots that JRP has had no history of hitting. Yeah maybe he rips off some chunk QB runs to counter balance that, but I don’t think JRP being healthy increased the chances of us winning those games

JRP had awful stats against Boise State, but he played well. McClain had decent stats against Baylor.

The big difference is JRP led a fourth quarter, game-winning drive. McClain had a chance to do the same, but failed.

In this league, the triggerman has to be able to make that last drive count. JRP did. McClain was too concerned with trying to be the hero (throwing a touchdown bomb to Hudson) when McClain should have been getting Colton Boomer in better position to get the W.

So this brings up the question, which QB on the roster currently or in the pipeline (commit), if any, excites or intrigues you the most?

Riley intrigues me the most simply because he seems to be the most different from the prototypical Gus QB from what I've seen.
All of the young QBs and commitments haven't had a chance to show their worth (except Timmy) and even he could hopefully improve.

UCF needs a winner...who cares about publicity or excitement hype...just lead the team to wins and even thr bandwagon fans will follow.

I’ve seen enough of JRP to know he can’t make some of the throws Timmy can. JRP is a run-first QB, that while extremely athletic, has a history of both injury and turnovers against weaker competition. Based off his history, there is absolutely no way of knowing that we would have been more competitive in these last two games with JRP at QB.

With that, and given that Timmy has two more years of eligibility after this year, just play Timmy. The team will be better for it, especially next year, assuming Gus doesn’t chase off ANOTHER talented QB.

JRP had awful stats against Boise State, but he played well. McClain had decent stats against Baylor.

The big difference is JRP led a fourth quarter, game-winning drive. McClain had a chance to do the same, but failed.

In this league, the triggerman has to be able to make that last drive count. JRP did. McClain was too concerned with trying to be the hero (throwing a touchdown bomb to Hudson) when McClain should have been getting Colton Boomer in better position to get the W.
JRP played well against who? AGAINST WHO?

JRP had 4 interceptions and a lost fumble in the first 2 games against Kent State and Boise State.

TMC has 2 interceptions in 3 games, including 2 games against Big 12 competition.

In his career at UCF, JRP's TD-INT ratio is 17-12. That's bad.

We definitely would not have beaten KSU with JRP, and who knows if we would have beaten Baylor. But I'm in the camp that doesn't see the point of bringing back JRP this season.

Of course we know what Gus will do.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT