ADVERTISEMENT

Turkey launches offensive in northern Syria with air strikes

Oh good a 3rd thread on the same topic. Maybe you and Shookster can give us another 2 threads today on this topic.

Reactions: UCFBS
Don’t worry I’m sure the Kurds...I mean the ISIS terrorist threat... will receive a quick and resounding defeat.

Don’t worry I’m sure the Kurds...I mean the ISIS terrorist threat... will receive a quick and resounding defeat.

If ISIS presents an existential threat to Syria or the US, they certainly present one to Turkey. What would motivate them to act so recklessly?

If ISIS presents an existential threat to Syria or the US, they certainly present one to Turkey. What would motivate them to act so recklessly?

I think Turkey's leader has got a hang up for the Kurds. He's locked in, like Hitler with Jews.

I’m not arguing that ISIS isn’t a threat to Turkey. But they’ve always hated the Kurds, view them as a terrorist threat, see them settling right on their doorstep in Syria’s northern region. What better way to do a little ethnic cleansing than to say your going to attack ISIS. Everyone hates ISIS.

I love it how the left want us to interfere. "Obama's good war."

I’m not arguing that ISIS isn’t a threat to Turkey. But they’ve always hated the Kurds, view them as a terrorist threat, see them settling right on their doorstep in Syria’s northern region. What better way to do a little ethnic cleansing than to say your going to attack ISIS. Everyone hates ISIS.

I wonder if they hold those views since the Kurds in Syria are affiliated with and support the PKK in Turkey who have been carrying out mass killings on Turkish police and civilians for years?

Just because these people are good fighters doesn’t mean the Turks have no fuking claim here.

I wonder if they hold those views since the Kurds in Syria are affiliated with and support the PKK in Turkey who have been carrying out mass killings on Turkish police and civilians for years?

Just because these people are good fighters doesn’t mean the Turks have no fuking claim here.

Are you seriously arguing on the behalf of an Islamic dictatorship that is working tirelessly against Turkey’s secularism and against an American ally?

Are you seriously arguing on the behalf of an Islamic dictatorship that is working tirelessly against Turkey’s secularism and against an American ally?

Turkey just elected an Erdogan opponent in his hometown and biggest city in Turkey being Istanbul. If there were an election today he’d lose . Sounds like a dictatorship to me*

Here’s a little history- the Turkish Kurdish modern conflict has existed since 1978. Before that there have been conflicts going back hundreds of years.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurdish–Turkish_conflict_(1978–present)

This is their conflict not ours. Trying to throw a few hundreds troops in the middle and hope they don’t get killed is asinine.

Turkey just elected an Erdogan opponent in his hometown and biggest city in Turkey being Istanbul. If there were an election today he’d lose . Sounds like a dictatorship to me*

Here’s a little history- the Turkish Kurdish modern conflict has existed since 1978. Before that there have been conflicts going back hundreds of years.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurdish–Turkish_conflict_(1978–present)

This is their conflict not ours. Trying to throw a few hundreds troops in the middle and hope they don’t get killed is asinine.

The NSC, former NSC, intel agencies, and serious players in both parties are against this...but Istanbul elected a mayor who doesn’t like Erdogan so that makes everything better.*

Fact- US soldiers are there, this offensive never happens because Turkey would never risk a hair on an American’s head for what we could do to them. They saw what happened to Russia’s paramilitary forces in Syria. We would make them our bitch.

But Trump unilaterally after a f-ing phone call, military genius he is, pulled out and sold a US ally down the river. Nothing like a little ethnic cleansing.

Yep. Everything is fine.

Reactions: NinjaKnight

I guess this does validate Trump's claim that he could murder someone and he wouldn't lose followers.

The NSC, former NSC, intel agencies, and serious players in both parties are against this...but Istanbul elected a mayor who doesn’t like Erdogan so that makes everything better.*

Fact- US soldiers are there, this offensive never happens because Turkey would never risk a hair on an American’s head for what we could do to them. They saw what happened to Russia’s paramilitary forces in Syria. We would make them our bitch.

But Trump unilaterally after a f-ing phone call, military genius he is, pulled out and sold a US ally down the river. Nothing like a little ethnic cleansing.

Yep. Everything is fine.

Then go fuking volunteer to stand in the way of a conflict that we have nothing to do with and stop asking others to do it for you .

Seems pretty simple to me. Find the good guys and be on their side.

Who are the good guys again?

Reactions: UCFWayne
Seems pretty simple to me. Find the good guys and be on their side.

Who are the good guys again?

lol this

These lunatics are basically suggesting that our “alliance” to the Kurds outweighs our alliance to a goddamn NATO ally who has an insurgency from the PKK, which the US designated as a terrorist group, whom is supported and affiliated with the YPG in Syria

So simple! Let’s throw a few Americans in the middle and hope they don’t die!

Reactions: Crazyhole
lol this

These lunatics are basically suggesting that our “alliance” to the Kurds outweighs our alliance to a goddamn NATO ally who has an insurgency from the PKK, which the US designated as a terrorist group, whom is supported and affiliated with the YPG in Syria

So simple! Let’s throw a few Americans in the middle and hope they don’t die!

Its just funny how the media narrative about the Kurds paints them as being as white as the wind driven snow, so we should unequivocally support them. The truth is, they are no more peaceful than the Sunnis and no less brutal than the Shias, there just aren't as many of them so they are the "underdog". There is a grand total of 3 leaders/groups in the region that we should be aligned with over the last 60 years, and not surprisingly those guys don't start wars.

Its just funny how the media narrative about the Kurds paints them as being as white as the wind driven snow, so we should unequivocally support them. The truth is, they are no more peaceful than the Sunnis and no less brutal than the Shias, there just aren't as many of them so they are the "underdog". There is a grand total of 3 leaders/groups in the region that we should be aligned with over the last 60 years, and not surprisingly those guys don't start wars.

There's also the fact that saying "Kurds" is vague and irrelevant. There are Kurdish populaces that span 5 countries in that region and not all of them are connected to eachother or even have much affiliation. Our long standing alliance had been/is to the Kurds in northern Iraq. We had virtually no affiliation with the Syrian Kurds before we had to go in and carpet bomb ISIS and the alliance was purely transactional; this was their homeland and they had to fight for it, we could provide them artillery and aerial support, and we both wanted ISIS defeated.

That doesn't change the fact that the YPG absolutely DO have connections and alliances with the PKK in Turkey, who have been a designated terrorist organization by the United States for years now and has carried out brutal bombings throughout Turkey since 1978. The Turks didn't just invent having an issue with the Syrian Kurds for the hell of it.

Lefties won't listen to any of this of course since they think this is a great anti-Trump issue and that's all they care about.

We should have stayed in Syria for 70 years like Germany. It was time to get out and let the locals settle their differences. We have been fighting in the mid east for 18 years, time to come home.

Reactions: UCFWayne
Stop being obtuse. We aren't in a war, we are aiding others so that we don't have to fight.

Wow, what a dumb and shitty thing to say.

Tell that to the 8 American soldiers who were killed in combat operations in Syria.

Or to the Marines who fired 35,000 155mm shells in just 5 months.

The United States has spent EIGHT TRILLION DOLLARS fighting and policing in the Middle East. Thousands of our Great Soldiers have died or been badly wounded. Millions of people have died on the other side. GOING INTO THE MIDDLE EAST IS THE WORST DECISION EVER MADE.....

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 9, 2019

Tell that to the 8 American soldiers who were killed in combat operations in Syria.

Or to the Marines who fired 35,000 155mm shells in just 5 months.

I guess you want to join him.

Every American soldier lost is a tragedy but 8 doesn't even compare to the 4424 soldiers who lost their life in Iraq.

We should have stayed in Syria for 70 years like Germany. It was time to get out and let the locals settle their differences. We have been fighting in the mid east for 18 years, time to come home.

Newsflash: We are never coming home. As long as Islamic terrorists want to kill us in our sleep, we will be hunting them. Deal with it.

Reactions: Ace of Knights
Newsflash: We are never coming home. As long as Islamic terrorists want to kill us in our sleep, we will be hunting them. Deal with it.

I am not saying I agree with his decision at this time. but he ran on getting us out of there and he is doing just that. It should be no surprise. I often disagree with Trump, but he has tried harder than any President in memory to fulfil his promises.

The guy who was applauding “Trump’s resounding victory over ISIS” last Spring now shamelessly says FU to the Kurds who helped us do it. That’s a really shitty thing to say — and do — in my book.

But like Trump, we’ve seen that 85 exhibits no morals here so his response to our betrayal of the Kurds is par for the course.

I guess you want to join him.

Every American soldier lost is a tragedy but 8 doesn't even compare to the 4424 soldiers who lost their life in Iraq.

Ok, so let's just keep upping the body count in Syria while we intervene in fights that have nothing to do with the US then.

You can't claim we aren't at war and then say "Meh, it's only 8 dead American soldiers!"

Ok, so let's just keep upping the body count in Syria while we intervene in fights that have nothing to do with the US then.

You can't claim we aren't at war and then say "Meh, it's only 8 dead American soldiers!"

Please copy and paste where I said "it's only 8 dead American soldiers".

Losing 8 soldiers in 5 years is completely different than losing 4424 in 13 years if you were being honest with yourself.

Reactions: NinjaKnight
So you supported the Obama Administration’s troop withdrawals? Funny I thought you blamed Obama for ISIS. Did I get that wrong?

I will admit I was one of the “let’s get the hell out of the region” guys. But the growth of ISIS convinced me that once we kicked the hornet’s nest with our invasion of Iraq back in the day, we have an obligation to work to stabilize it. Trump’s decision on Sunday is not only kicking off a Kurdish massacre, it is planting the seeds for an ISIS resurgence or one like it.

Please copy and paste where I said "it's only 8 dead American soldiers".

Losing 8 soldiers in 5 years is completely different than losing 4424 in 13 years if you were being honest with yourself.

It's still war if they're in combat operations, something you tried to deny above. Call me crazy but if we're firing 35,000 155mm shells and dropping thousands of bombs somewhere, that's a war.

It's still war if they're in combat operations, something you tried to deny above. Call me crazy but if we're firing 35,000 155mm shells and dropping thousands of bombs somewhere, that's a war.

It's actually a conflict, not a war.

BTW, we are leaving the Kurds out-to-dry.
It sucks for them, and I'll fully admit that.

But it's not the first time we've done this either.
Every administration has screwed up.

But it is related to Mad Dog leaving Trump.
I just don't know how we balance all these things.

The left is making a huge deal about this, when their track record isn't that good either.
In fact, they put us into this position with Syria in the first place.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT