ADVERTISEMENT

UCF officially offered Big 12 Membership

For those of us that have been here since the Grothe days, let me just say how amazing this past week has been.

This was UNTHINKABLE when I was in college. What a time to be alive!
YES. Unthinkable! As a 2001 freshman and there were more UF and FSU hats and shirts on campus. Playing teams that most fans never even heard of.

we knew big things were coming with the OCS opening in 2007, but this feels surreal.

amazing.

YES. Unthinkable! As a 2001 freshman and there were more UF and FSU hats and shirts on campus. Playing teams that most fans never even heard of.

we knew big things were coming with the OCS opening in 2007, but this feels surreal.

amazing.
06 grad here. I remember USF fans coming over here telling us they didn’t need us anymore because WVU was their new rival.
You love to see it

Cincinnati and UCF, along with BYU and Houston, have been discussed as potential additions to the league. Multiple sources have told The Athletic that the target date for the four new members to enter the Big 12 is the summer of 2023.

giphy.gif

Big 12 commish, Bowlsby? is gonna want to exact revenge on Texas and Oklahoma.

Expect both teams @UCF or the other new teams before they leave. Bastards. They gonna get beat before they leave. See Tulane almost beat Oklahoma. They ain't all that.

Go Knights!
I'd love to see Okalhoma and Texas get beat by us or another new member before they. I don't think that will happen because they'll be running for the exit. Also, lets see if they can be the big guy in the SEC like they were in the BIG12. Not so sure it will be so easy...but hey...they are collecting more money.

If he was competent and got us money like a P6 we probably wouldn’t be leaving. We are leaving for the money. Not necessarily the P5 label.
Part of that was our refusal to sign GOR agreements, which now seems to have been the right decision for UCF. But I remember hearing that the deal was worth $10 mil/year, or so if we all signed GOR. No GOR was worth $7mil per year.

Reactions: BlakNGoldAllDay
If he was competent and got us money like a P6 we probably wouldn’t be leaving. We are leaving for the money. Not necessarily the P5 label.
I won’t speak for you, but when the playoffs expand, UCF will have access to an auto. I’m not sure the AAC would have.
Regardless, that good access plus $25 million/year before T3 rights and conference title game revenue should allow even faster growth. It won’t be SEC or BIG money, but it’ll be close to Pac-12 or ACC, and that’s before those conferences have their OuT moments (no way Clemson is going to stay making $40 million less than its peer football programs)

Reactions: jared151
I won’t speak for you, but when the playoffs expand, UCF will have access to an auto. I’m not sure the AAC would have.
Regardless, that good access plus $25 million/year before T3 rights and conference title game revenue should allow even faster growth. It won’t be SEC or BIG money, but it’ll be close to Pac-12 or ACC, and that’s before those conferences have their OuT moments (no way Clemson is going to stay making $40 million less than its peer football programs)
No Auto even in 12 team. Only top 6 Conference winners get Auto. If P5 champ has a couple losses or more they may not get in.

No Auto even in 12 team. Only top 6 Conference winners get Auto. If P5 champ has a couple losses or more they may not get in.
I’m not sure what you’re saying, but UCF will now have access to an auto when the playoffs expand. That’s happening. They won’t get Gee’s vote to expand without it being that way. Perhaps the AAC would have also, but I’m not sure. I’ve not paid attention to that conference.

I’m not sure what you’re saying, but UCF will now have access to an auto when the playoffs expand. That’s happening. They won’t get Gee’s vote to expand without it being that way. Perhaps the AAC would have also, but I’m not sure. I’ve not paid attention to that conference.
He's saying there is no automatic bid. The Top 6 ranked conference winners make it into the playoff. So technically if the MAC champion was the 6th ranked champion and the SEC champion was the 7th ranked champion, the MAC would get it. (Obviously that would never happen)

I wouldn't be surprised if they change it to Top 4 or Top 5 ranked champions automatically get in after all this re-alignment. We'll see.

He's saying there is no automatic bid. The Top 6 ranked conference winners make it into the playoff. So technically if the MAC champion was the 6th ranked champion and the SEC champion was the 7th ranked champion, the MAC would get it. (Obviously that would never happen)

I wouldn't be surprised if they change it to Top 4 or Top 5 ranked champions automatically get in after all this re-alignment. We'll see.
You used the wrong conference. PAC has usually been 5th or worse. This year you could have ACC not be top 6. In a down year the others could as well. If a couple G5’s go undefeated they could both slip past 1 or 2 P5 conference champs. Especially if an upset happens in CCG.

With gameday at Iowa State this week friday would be a good day to announce! they will be showcasing Iowa State while shinning light on the future Big 12

Reactions: Stormthecourt?
By the way, does this mean we finally get competent refs?

C-USA--- ughhh.
AAC- can't really seem to get ball placement right.

Big 12--???

Did anyone in the usf Sun is shining because we're going to the ACC in a few years, think of this?

"It's possible when the dust settles AAC teams may see an average of $7M per team drop to $2-3M per year."

Yes he’s applying the current standards to the expanded playoffs. I believe that to be false. The Alliance does not want that with the SEC being so powerful.
There’s a power struggle here that will benefit the Big 12, or at least guarantee it has equitable access. Maybe the AAC would have too, under the hypothetical no realignment occurred, but I have my doubts

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT