ADVERTISEMENT

UCF Portal Thread-signings/rumors

"Miami has expressed interest in Jefferson, but the favorite now could be the UCF Knights and head coach Gus Malzahn, a former Arkansas offensive coordinator. However, another possibility could be the Mississippi Bulldogs and new head coach Jeff Lebby. Starkville is just two hours away from Jefferson’s hometown of Sardis, Mississippi, and Lebby’s offense would be a good fit for Jefferson’s skill set."

Grable got a lot of penalties and got put on his butt quite a bit. There was one play in the bowl game where he just got completely fooled and tripped backwards over himself

Reactions: U C to the F
I think this is all a ploy to drive up his pricetag from TCU. He ain't coming to UCF.

Jordan McCloud is the most realistic option.
TCU played a good looking RS freshman last year. He played in 10 games. Another returner played in 7 (unless that guy is in the portal?). I don’t know if they need to dip into the portal for a starter. They may just need depth.

Jaydon Hill was Florida's Star/nickelback. In the 4-2-5 the 'Star' position is the key to the defense. The ‘Star’ is a hybrid safety type that could play outside linebacker in most 4-3 schemes.

UCF's 2023 Star DeJordan Mask played hurt since the Boise State game and ultimately was unable to finish the season. Mask is out of eligibility.

Hill is a four star originally from Alabama, but Gus Malzahn did not offer him out of high school.

Last edited:
UCF/Gus typically doesn't recruit unproven transfers, but a long-term replacement at Star could be this kid who has offers from Cincinnati and Houston.

Also, Troy's undersized left tackle (6-4, 304), who jumped in the portal, is from Orlando. UCF does need a tackle.

Gus can find him on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/derrick-graham-403113255

Dad played in the NFL: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derrick_Graham_(American_football)

Last edited:
Looks like UCF might miss on Auburn's leading 2023 receiver Ja'Varrius Johnson, per a cryptic Tweet by former Auburn tight end turned Utah Ute Landon King:

"Ja'Varrius Johnson was a senior wide receiver for the Tigers in 2023, entered the transfer portal in the offseason, and already holds an official offer from the Utes.

"According to On3, Johnson is currently split between transferring to UCF (53.3) and Utah (46.7). Their prediction model currently gives the Utes around a 47% chance to land the transfer wideout.

"Johnson, who accumulated 64 catches for 1,114 yards and eight touchdowns during his time with the Tigers, would be a monumental acquisition for the Utes. Especially considering former No. 1 option, Devaughn Vele, recently declared for the 2024 NFL Draft."

Source: https://www.si.com/college/utah/football/landen-king-hints-at-utah-landing-auburn-transfers

Johnson would have been a great pickup for the Knights, but there is only one football and no real portal QB at UCF to dish it.

Last edited:
Looks like UCF might miss on Auburn's leading 2023 receiver Ja'Varrius Johnson, per a cryptic Tweet by former Auburn tight end turned Utah Ute Landon King:

"Ja'Varrius Johnson was a senior wide receiver for the Tigers in 2023, entered the transfer portal in the offseason, and already holds an official offer from the Utes.

"According to On3, Johnson is currently split between transferring to UCF (53.3) and Utah (46.7). Their prediction model currently gives the Utes around a 47% chance to land the transfer wideout.

"Johnson, who accumulated 64 catches for 1,114 yards and eight touchdowns during his time with the Tigers, would be a monumental acquisition for the Utes. Especially considering former No. 1 option, Devaughn Vele, recently declared for the 2024 NFL Draft."

Source: https://www.si.com/college/utah/football/landen-king-hints-at-utah-landing-auburn-transfers

I can see him going elsewhere now that we are probably returning our 2 top receivers… which initially didn’t seem likely

Last edited:
The fact we offered him makes me think Kobe’s declaring for the draft or transferring.

The fact we offered him makes me think Kobe’s declaring for the draft or transferring.
Possible. But Johnson plays the slot (Xavier Townsend's spot). Kobi is a Z. Kobi and Johnson were No. 1 receivers at Auburn and always drew the best cover corners.

Both would face the No. 2 or No. 3 corner at UCF and would present a matchup nightmare. Johnson would open things up for Kobi and Javon. No more bracket coverages.

Last edited:
Reactions: 90Knight
Need other positions much worse, this guy can Ute it up all he wants.
You said UCF needed a WR in the other thread.

"If Gus does not land a solid QB transfer, he will be a chicken eater

Need OL, WR, DL, and LB"

Yes, before Baker and Hudson announced '24....I said this on freakin Dec 4th

Try to keep up
Well you were right but apparently you don't know it. UCF lacks a burner--a true deep threat who can take the top off a defense. It is one thing (among others) holding Gus's offense back. Christian Leary would have filled that role last season. Not saying Johnson is a burner, but he does know Gus's offense, can play every receiver position at a high level, and do everything well. Can't turn that away.

Hopefully, the Knights can find slot in the portal.

Last edited:
I bet UCF gets him and KJ
Doubtful, but I'd take 'em.

Kid is legit. Had offers from Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, uat, uGay, LSWho, Notre Dame, FSU, etc., out of high school and chose to play for Fickell.

I know I've brought this up a few times already earlier in this thread (sorry for being redundant), but I'm going to try and just continue the line of thinking in a different way...

I'll preface this by saying that I do think UCF needs to bring in a portal QB. Because the team has lost both Castellanos and Keene over the last calendar year (and now Plumlee), it would certainly make sense to bring in one more QB to add to the room alongside McClain. Whether this portal QB would start or backup McClain, at least that would hypothetically provide UCF with two veteran options in 2024 (since the rest of the room is young/completely inexperienced).

What I don't necessarily agree with is that UCF has to bring in some blue-chip, program changing quarterback - and if they don't, that's some sort of stain or mark against Malzahn and the entire program. It's just not that dire. And I don't think that because they didn't bring in one of thos types of QB's in 2023, that is why UCF had a rather mediocre year this past season. I guess this is a roundabout way of saying (again), there are currently like three or four more positions I think are in greater need of massively upgrading on UCF's roster before I would get to QB.

So let's look at it this way...
-Kansas State
-Baylor
-Kansas
-Oklahoma
-West Virginia
-Texas Tech
-Georgia Tech

Of those seven losses this past season, how many would you unequivocally rest on the quarterback? In other words, if we just had better quarterback play, we come away with a win on that day. I have an idea/number in my mind, but I'm more interested to hear from some of the folks that keep beating the drum that we bring in a better quarterback or else the program is non-competitive and in a free-fall.

I didn't understand the obsession over McCall, and I believe I was one of the first people to point out that it was a little over the top (not that it matters being first or right). I certainly wouldn't mind Jefferson, he's actually one of the few in the portal that I think would make a difference. But weeks ago I said that I'm fine with McClain and don't see a majority of the QB's in the portal being significant upgrades over him, and nothing has changed for me since. So please, change my mind...

Last edited:
Reactions: Shark19
I know I've brought this up a few times already earlier in this thread (sorry for being redundant), but I'm going to try and just continue the line of thinking in a different way...

I'll preface this by saying that I do think UCF needs to bring in a portal QB. Because the team has lost both Castellanos and Keene over the last calendar year (and now Plumlee), it would certainly make sense to bring in one more QB to add to the room alongside McClain. Whether this portal QB would start or backup McClain, at least that would hypothetically provide UCF with two veteram options in 2024 (since the rest of the room is young/completely inexperienced).

What I don't necessarily agree with is that UCF has to bring in some blue-chip, program changing quarterback - and if they don't, that's some sort of stain or mark against Malzahn and the entire program. It's just not that dire. And I don't think that because they didn't bring in one of thos types of QB's in 2023, that is why UCF had a rather mediocre year this past season. I guess this is a roundabout way of saying (again), there are currently like three or four more positions I think are in greater need of massively upgrading on UCF's roster before I would get to QB.

So let's look at it this way?
-Kansas State
-Baylor
-Kansas
-Oklahoma
-West Virginia
-Texas Tech
-Georgia Tech

Of those seven losses this past season, how many would you unequivocally rest on the quarterback? In other words, if we just had better quarterback play, we come away with a win on that day. I have an idea/number in my mind, but I'm more interested to hear from some of the folks that keep beating the drum that we bring in a better quarterback or else the program is non-competitive and in a free-fall.

I didn't understand the obsession over McCall, and I believe I was one of the first people to point out that it was a little over the top (not that it matters being first or right). I certainly wouldn't mind Jefferson, he's actually one of the few in the portal that I think would make a difference. But weeks ago I said that I'm fine with McClain and don't see a majority of the QB's in the portal being signficant upgrades over him, and nothing has changed for me since. So please, change my mind...
No argument at all, THIS program needs stability and development. With few exceptions, 1 year rentals will not help those goals. They are gap fillers. We need a guy to challenge the current QB room, not run them off. We should not be giving the job away, and make no mistake, the 1 years rental guys are not going places without the job in hand.

We ARE NOT one player away from competing. The best guy currently available to do that is Ty Thompson (backup at Oregon). Has some play time experience, has alot of upside, has multiple years of eligibility.

UCF can’t catch a break

assuming KJ will be a lot more difficult to get but Gus’s offense fits him way more than Cristobal’s

I'll preface this by saying that I do think UCF needs to bring in a portal QB. Because the team has lost both Castellanos and Keene over the last calendar year (and now Plumlee), it would certainly make sense to bring in one more QB to add to the room alongside McClain. Whether this portal QB would start or backup McClain, at least that would hypothetically provide UCF with two veteran options in 2024 (since the rest of the room is young/completely inexperienced).

So let's look at it this way...
-Kansas State
-Baylor
-Kansas
-Oklahoma
-West Virginia
-Texas Tech
-Georgia Tech

I didn't understand the obsession over McCall, and I believe I was one of the first people to point out that it was a little over the top (not that it matters being first or right). I certainly wouldn't mind Jefferson, he's actually one of the few in the portal that I think would make a difference. But weeks ago I said that I'm fine with McClain and don't see a majority of the QB's in the portal being significant upgrades over him, and nothing has changed for me since. So please, change my mind...
All of them. With a good QB you can be a 2 loss team or better. QB is most important position. Other deficiencies can be hidden when you’re scoring points. Look at Browns and Steelers. Look bad with terrible QB play but can beat anyone when score points.

All of them. With a good QB you can be a 2 loss team or better. QB is most important position. Other deficiencies can be hidden when you’re scoring points. Look at Browns and Steelers. Look bad with terrible QB play but can beat anyone when score points.
If you actually think UCF would have won all their games this year, or even close to that, with better QB play, then I literally can’t talk ball with you. I’m sure you watch the games, but you have no idea how to process what you’re looking at.

If you actually think UCF would have won all their games this year, or even close to that, with better QB play, then I literally can’t talk ball with you. I’m sure you watch the games, but you have no idea how to process what you’re looking at.
I literally said 2 loss team in comment you quoted. But we would be in all of them. You act like our defense was top 10 in nation when we went undefeated. We won because of QB play. Defense gave up a lot of points. You’ll probably have to Google it. I wasn’t begging to “talk ball” with you. If you think defense is all you need go ahead and Google Iowa. Great defense and will probably have 4 losses.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT